Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Official (ongoing) Gardening Thread

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Wow, thanks MM (and your location is "In the Garden", how fitting, lol)

One thing I forgot to specify, is I'm also looking for plants that are repel Japanese Beetles. I did see someone local on CraigsList has bamboo plants for sale, and I was interested, but I saw through Googling that Japanese Beetles like some types of bamboo, grrrrrr.

Thanks for these suggestions, though. From a little Googling it looks like at least arborivtaes and ficus may repel/disinterest them.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Wow MOTU_Maniac, beautiful flower garden!

I love rain so much, and in a lovely rainy spring like this I just love seeing my hydrangea bud and leaf. I love seeing my day lilies and stonecrops and hens 'n chicks also thrive, but I'm so in love with my hydrangea! lol
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Oh! That newspaper trick is really cool! Thanks. I typically use black plastic, but it appears that this is cheaper! Hmmm.

I bought sweetcorn n' beans. My land has been tilled and now I'm just waiting to buy some plants. Maybe this weekend, though it does seem awfully soon.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Master of Gardening MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    Wow, thanks MM (and your location is "In the Garden", how fitting, lol)

One thing I forgot to specify, is I'm also looking for plants that are repel Japanese Beetles. I did see someone local on CraigsList has bamboo plants for sale, and I was interested, but I saw through Googling that Japanese Beetles like some types of bamboo, grrrrrr.

Thanks for these suggestions, though. From a little Googling it looks like at least arborivtaes and ficus may repel/disinterest them.
    You're welcome
    I personally love arborvitaes.

Wow MOTU_Maniac, beautiful flower garden!

I love rain so much, and in a lovely rainy spring like this I just love seeing my hydrangea bud and leaf. I love seeing my day lilies and stonecrops and hens 'n chicks also thrive, but I'm so in love with my hydrangea! lol
    Thank you. I live in Kentucky also and you are right...we sure have been getting plenty of rain. I mowed my yard on Friday and it grew so much from the rain I had to mow it again on Monday My garden and landscaping is growing fast as well.

I need to get me a hydrangea as they are a beautiful flowering shrub!

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Oh! That newspaper trick is really cool! Thanks. I typically use black plastic, but it appears that this is cheaper! Hmmm.

I bought sweetcorn n' beans. My land has been tilled and now I'm just waiting to buy some plants. Maybe this weekend, though it does seem awfully soon.
    You're welcome. I have been using newspapers since I was a wee little tot. lol.

We used to use black plastic when we planted our watermelons so that the roots would stay moist and so the ground wouldn't cause the fruit to rot.

The beginning of May is typically when we start planting crops here in Kentucky and surrounding areas, so it might be a little soon for planting up north. I am not as familiar with your growing season.

MOST WANTED MOTUC figures:
    Ice Armor He-Man, Sagitar, Fang-Or, Major Header, Granita, Great Black Wizard, Despara, Quakke, Master Sebrian, Tuvar, Bahdrah, Stridor, & Snake Mountain.

MOST WANTED PCS statues: Mer-Man, Whiplash, Buzz-Off, Sy-Klone, Ram Man, Tri-Klops, & Two-Bad.

*My iTrader Feedback
    *My MOTU_Maniac Feedback Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    I need to get me a hydrangea as they are a beautiful flowering shrub!
    Yup...this week I've been to Lowe's and Home Depot, and they have lots of hydrangeas. I got mine at one of the Frank Ottes here several years ago. Mine's a "Big Daddy", lol, and I treated the soil to make the pink flowers turn blue. One year they went in between and turned violet! Loved that.

The beginning of May is typically when we start planting crops here in Kentucky
    My dad's a farmer here, and he always tries to start in April. Course, with all the rain there usually is, it's not uncommon for his plantin' to get pushed back, lol.

We had a hard frost overnight, so I had to cover up all of my warm weather veggies (tomatoes, peppers, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, and green beans. Hope they weren't harmed or I will have to start all over.

Also, I had to relocate a VERY aggressive snake from my backyard landscaping. I believe it is a Black Racer, but it was hard to tell since it is still on the younger/ smaller side (about 3 feet in length) and its final colors/patterns aren't complete yet.

Attachment 84663

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My dad's a farmer here, and he always tries to start in April. Course, with all the rain there usually is, it's not uncommon for his plantin' to get pushed back, lol.
    Yeah, I grew up on a very large vegetable and fruit farm and have been farming for many years. We sold much of our produce to Kroger stores as well as at 2 Farmers Markets. In Kentucky, cold crops can start being planted around mid-March and warm weather crops usually between May 1st and May 10th (for best results and maximum harvest yield).

Ice Armor He-Man, Sagitar, Fang-Or, Major Header, Granita, Great Black Wizard, Despara, Quakke, Master Sebrian, Tuvar, Bahdrah, Stridor, & Snake Mountain.

MOST WANTED PCS statues: Mer-Man, Whiplash, Buzz-Off, Sy-Klone, Ram Man, Tri-Klops, & Two-Bad.

*My iTrader Feedback

nice snake!

We had a frost here too. I havent planted anything though, so thats good. Typically I dont do that until Juneish
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

We had a frost here too. I havent planted anything though, so thats good. Typically I dont do that until Juneish
    Thankfully you hadn't planted yet. I was lucky that I had several tarps and enough landscapers cloth to cover everything up. What's funny is we had a frost warning 2 nights ago followed by a heat warning today. lol.

*My iTrader Feedback

Alrighty, I am planted. I'm early this year and we already had a frost scare. Me dumb I should have waited a week or two.

here be the list:

Tomatoes
    Cukes
    beans
    Indian Corn
    Pumpkins
    watermelons
    Broccoli
    Basil
    sweet corn (new!)
    onions (new!)
    gords(new!)
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Alrighty, I am planted.

here be the list:

Tomatoes
    Cukes
    beans
    Indian Corn
    Pumpkins
    watermelons
    Broccoli
    Basil
    sweet corn (new!)
    onions (new!)
    gords(new!)
    Awesome! Can't wait to see pics as your garden grows.

*My iTrader Feedback

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    I got some stuff sprouting in Jiffy Pots. Hopefully I will soon be able to till and put it out.
    Got some tomatoes, some peppers, some pumpkins and watermelons
    I got weird results from the Asparagus this year - it sprouted without me doing anything and turned almost into a bush. But no Asparagus spears like you usually eat.

I have stevia and peppermint coming back too - I thought the drought had killed them last year.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return."
    - The Book of Eli

Picked some Asparagus and Broccoli and pulled 2 green onions. Here are some pics:

Attachment 85140

Attachment 85141

Attachment 85142

Attachment 85143

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    I got weird results from the Asparagus this year - it sprouted without me doing anything and turned almost into a bush. But no Asparagus spears like you usually eat.
    Asparagus spears always turn into a fern-like bush if they aren't picked soon enough. How many years ago did you plant your Asparagus? That helps determine how long your picking season should be. The first 2 years you aren't supposed to pick at all and should just let it fern-out. During Year 3 you can pick spears for about 3-4 weeks and then let them fern-out. During Year 4 you can pick spears for 6-8 weeks and then let them fern-out.

Also, what do you mean your asparagus "sprouted without you doing anything"? I have had asparagus my whole life and it has always sprouted without me doing anything. It is a perennial and comes back year after year on its own.

*My iTrader Feedback

Picked some Asparagus and Broccoli and pulled 2 green onions. Here are some pics:

Attachment 85140

Attachment 85141

Attachment 85142

Attachment 85143

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Asparagus spears always turn into a fern-like bush if they aren't picked soon enough. How many years ago did you plant your Asparagus? That helps determine how long your picking season should be. The first 2 years you aren't supposed to pick at all and should just let it fern-out. During Year 3 you can pick spears for about 3-4 weeks and then let them fern-out. During Year 4 you can pick spears for 6-8 weeks and then let them fern-out.

Also, what do you mean your asparagus "sprouted without you doing anything"? I have had asparagus my whole life and it has always sprouted without me doing anything. It is a perennial and comes back year after year on its own.
    Maybe that is why I have never really gotten much out of it yet. It grows but it goes to bushy before it goes to spears. I've only had it two years so maybe this year it will grow again.

"Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return."
    - The Book of Eli

Here are some updated pics of my garden. It is coming right along. I would also LOVE for others to post pics of their garden as well.

In this pic: potatoes, onions, squash, zucchini, broccoli, lettuce, cabbage, and okra
    Attachment 85194

In this pic: pole green beans and tomatoes
    Attachment 85195

In this pic: peppers, tomatoes, pole green beans, cucumbers, potatoes, onions, squash, zucchini, broccoli, lettuce, cabbage, and okra
    Attachment 85196

In this pic: peppers, tomatoes, and pole green beans
    Attachment 85197

*My iTrader Feedback

Okay, what is going on with my hens 'n chicks?? They're such hardy succulents that last through every weather condition and you don't even have to do anything to 'em! Flood in the summer, bake in the summer, freeze in the winter, they just stay through anything.

So what in the heck is goin' on here?? I had 2 big planters that nothing was doing well in, even these which were the latest tries, so I finally gave up on those planters and split apart these hens 'n chicks and repotted them into different pots.

Now, not all of them are "rotting", only some of them. And I've used the same succulent potting soil for all of them. So I don't understand what is happening to these victimized ones? You can see what they look like, and they really stink too. I've gotten rid of all the ones that looks like this, but there are still a few that are starting in. So what's the deal??

Brassy Baroness
    Nice!!! You are so far ahead of me. Just strawberries and some herbs yet. Keep us posted.
    Trust me, trust me, be a'right,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die,
    Sign' blood or fool night,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die.

Okay, what is going on with my hens 'n chicks?? They're such hardy succulents that last through every weather condition and you don't even have to do anything to 'em! Flood in the summer, bake in the summer, freeze in the winter, they just stay through anything.

So what in the heck is goin' on here?? I had 2 big planters that nothing was doing well in, even these which were the latest tries, so I finally gave up on those planters and split apart these hens 'n chicks and repotted them into different pots.

Now, not all of them are "rotting", only some of them. And I've used the same succulent potting soil for all of them. So I don't understand what is happening to these victimized ones? You can see what they look like, and they really stink too. I've gotten rid of all the ones that looks like this, but there are still a few that are starting in. So what's the deal??

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/3230/photo3is.jpg
    Sempervivum (Hen and Chicks) usually only fall prey to one thing and that is overwatering. If they are overwatered then the roots and plants will begin to rot. If they begin to rot then they need to be re-potted (just as you did), BUT make sure you remove ALL of the old soil from the pot and especially from the plants root system by using water to wash it off. Also, remove ALL rotting roots and foliage. Then re-pot with new, DRY soil. After re-potting, do NOT water the plants at all for 1 week and then after that time has passed you can begin to slowly add water back in. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Nice!!! You are so far ahead of me. Just strawberries and some herbs yet. Keep us posted.
    Thanks. I would love to see pics of your strawberries and herbs. I am a garden geek

*My iTrader Feedback

Thanks, MOTU...now I know in case it ever happens again! lol

It's funny though, you wouldn't think overwatering would be an issue with 'em cause they sit out in nature all year 'round and thrive and thrive! (usually, lol)

Here are some pics of some veggies I just picked:

Green Bell Peppers, White Onion, and Red Potatoes
    Attachment 85654

Red Tomato and Red Potatoes
    Attachment 85653

**I will also be picking yellow squash, cucumbers, and green beans in the next few days.

*My iTrader Feedback

Motu-Maniac, nice start

Being in upstate NY I got some time before things are ready to be picked. However, my broccoli is super close. I'm trying to keep a close eye on the pumpkins too so that I dont get those bloody beatles on them and it kills them
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

After two years of trying to get my garden going, I find out I am going to have to move the whole darn thing. From Kansas to Louisiana. Just put in my blackberry bushes and now I don't know if I will ever get to enjoy them.

- The Book of Eli

Motu-Maniac, nice start

Being in upstate NY I got some time before things are ready to be picked. However, my broccoli is super close. I'm trying to keep a close eye on the pumpkins too so that I dont get those bloody beatles on them and it kills them
    Thanks.

And hope you catch the beetles early

After two years of trying to get my garden going, I find out I am going to have to move the whole darn thing. From Kansas to Louisiana. Just put in my blackberry bushes and now I don't know if I will ever get to enjoy them.
    What's in Louisiana? All of my mom's side of the family is there and I loved going to visit. Hopefully the relocation is smooth.

*My iTrader Feedback

Thanks.
    What's in Louisiana? All of my mom's side of the family is there and I loved going to visit. Hopefully the relocation is smooth.
    My day job is moving there. Since I'm not officially the pastor of any church and so I can't go pastoring full time I have to go with it. I don't really mind moving to Louisiana I just feel frustrated about leaving the garden I worked so hard to establish behind.

Louisiana itself seemed quite nice from the short visit I had there prior to making the decision to move.

- The Book of Eli

Just picked some more veggies from the garden. Meal planned for tonight (Stuffed Bell Peppers) and tomorrow (Vegetable Stir-Fry).

Tomatoes, Yellow Squash, Zucchini, Green Beans, Cucumber, Red Potatoes, and Bell Peppers

My day job is moving there. Since I'm not officially the pastor of any church and so I can't go pastoring full time I have to go with it. I don't really mind moving to Louisiana I just feel frustrated about leaving the garden I worked so hard to establish behind.
    I totally understand. It is hard to leave something behind when you worked so hard on it. Hopefully after the move you will be reinvigorated to start anew.

*My iTrader Feedback

Those are some good-looking vegetables, MOTU_Maniac. Most of mine are just getting planted. I have planted tomatoes, peas, sweet potatoes, beans, cucumbers, peppers, carrots and corn. Got some fruit on a couple tomato plants but nothing else yet. Got some onions and garlic left over from last year because I just left them there last fall and they kept on growing, but they aren't "new" crops.
    Last edited by Dave-Man; July 3, 2013 at 11:28am.

- The Book of Eli