Thread: tutorial help???

Heroic Warrior

tutorial help???

Ok, I've done a lot of painting miniatures, and repainted a few figures in my day....

Now I'm trying something a bit different. I'm trying to take a figure down to the base color... remove all the matty/hasbro paint on a figure and start from scratch... Anyone got a good tip on how to do that??

I've tried soaking them in paint thinner... but I'm not seeing any difference after multiple hours... tried scrubbing them with the thinner... and nothing... Not sure what to try next....

Heroic Warrior
    Mmmm maybe nail polish remover, wire wool,

POP and Customs Mod heftysmurf76's Avatar
    Pure Acetone would work better than regular nail polish,That, and a lot of elbow grease

i use lacquer thinner. be carefull though. it's fine on the rubbery parts, but will eat at the harder plastic.
    Part Needs: MOTUC
    FEEDBACK

Heroic Warrior
    Tried some nail polish, and it was MUCH different than the Testor's thinner... It started blurring right away, Gonna take some to get it ALL off...

Where would I find 'pure Acetone'? What's it 'normally' used for?

Also... wire wool??? Wouldn't that scratch and gouge up the plastic something terrible?

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Tried some nail polish, and it was MUCH different than the Testor's thinner... It started blurring right away, Gonna take some to get it ALL off...

Where would I find 'pure Acetone'? What's it 'normally' used for?

Also... wire wool??? Wouldn't that scratch and gouge up the plastic something terrible?
    Acetone nail polish remover works great, but it will melt plastic. Target sells different kinds with varying levels of acetone. Yes, wire wool can scratch plastic. I've found that there's some paint that cannot be removed without scraping/sanding, for example Zodak's tatoos on his body. They're easily removed on his limbs, but the harder plastic seems to hold the paint more permanently. Hope this helps.