Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Live Action Masters of the Universe Targets Jon M. Chu

Heroic Warrior

Live Action Masters of the Universe Targets Jon M. Chu

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...ets-jon-m-chu-

I know it's not much but at least it's moving forward...sort of.

Oh HELL no. Look, I'm normally a "wait and see, give it a chance before you condemn it" but not this time. I'm sorry, but I just can't. The first 3 things that pop up on his IMDB page for what he's known for are

Step Up 2: The Streets
    Step Up 3D

and

Justin Beiber: Never Say Never

Man, I thought it was bad enough they got the GI Joe 2 director, but then to see all that other crap............ugh.......just ugh.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

So this is it. We knew this news was coming. I must say, I’m both surprised and not surprised. I’m not sure what to think about this. On the plus side, it looks like he’s done a good job on GI Joe (visually and action-wise). Of course, though, the fact that the studio delayed that film also concerns me. On the plus side, again, it does seem that he has respect for source material and he’s very young for a film director, which means that he probably knows his MOTU. I mean, going by interviews, it seems that he knows his GI Joe, too. He seems like a “cool dude” geek. But yeah, I’m not sure yet. This could either be a very good move or a very….shall we say questionable one.

The good thing about Jon Chu is that he’s very active on Twitter, answering questions quite frequently and offering updates. So at least we’ll be able to completely ambush him if he get’s the job.

Sorry, though, I'm not going to scream bloody murder just yet.

Also, I like the way the article mentions that it’s in "high gear" at Sony Pictures. I really think this could be it.
    Last edited by Krueger; July 30, 2012 at 09:09pm.

hey we did pressure with mass messages on facebook haha , it's something
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    hey we press with mass messages on facebook haha , it's something
    I find it funny how they directly referred to all the messages when they posted this news on Facebook.

This is the actual article from Deadline Hollywood:

Jon M. Chu is in talks to helm Masters Of The Universe, a live-action film based on the signature Mattel toy line that is in high gear at Sony Pictures and Escape Artists.

Talks are just getting underway with Chu, who is in the middle of a 3D conversion on G.I. Joe: Retaliation, and is preparing to shoot a couple of new scenes for the film, which was pushed to a March 29, 2013 release by Paramount. The Masters film revolves around He-Man, a prince who transforms into a warrior and becomes the last hope for a magical world that has been ravaged by the sinister Skeletor.

The property has been around for years, as several studios tried to rectify the Cannon Films 1987 flopper that starred Dolph Lungdren as He-Man and Frank Langella as Skeletor. It has been more successful as an animated property. Escape Artists sparked to a strong script turned in by the writing team of Alex Litvak and Mike Finch. Litvak scripted The Three Musketeers and Five Against A Bullet, and Finch scripted Exclusively Yours. The scribes developed the script under the title Grayskull, but it has gone back to the Mattel brand.

Escape Artists’ partners Todd Black, Jason Blumenthal and Steve Tisch are producing. Chu is repped by WME and Principato-Young.
    I wouldn't worry about that synopsis, as it’s just the words of the author.
    Last edited by Krueger; July 30, 2012 at 09:25pm.

Deadline.com is covering it too. It's so impossible to tell based on a director's past works to me. We'll see.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Not sure how I feel about this. I think it would have been more reassuring if it were an unknown. GI Joe 2 looks better than the first, but that doesn't guarantee anything. Plus MOTU at the moment needs a movie now more than ever. Hopefully it can lead to more comics, toons and a retail toyline and other merchandise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I find it funny how they directly referred to all the messages when they posted this news on Facebook.
    power of the motu-fans !!! haha . I'm happy with the news beyond who is the director.
    MOTULA.ORG

G.I. Joe's second movie looks like it will be better than the first and more faithful to G.I Joe's past. I'm not quite sure I buy the delay in that movie being based only so they could do a 3-D conversation, which worries me slightly.

He is just starting out his directing career really, I think even tho some of his past films look like crap this could turn out to be a diamond in the rough. GIJoe 2 doesnt look that horrible its title screen would brings me more entertainment than all of the rest of his films combined.

Here we go! Yo J-... oh, um... Go MOTU!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    G.I. Joe's second movie looks like it will be better than the first and more faithful to G.I Joe's past. I'm not quite sure I buy the delay in that movie being based only so they could do a 3-D conversation, which worries me slightly.
    This is my take. I love the fact that GI Joe 2 looks the way it does. You can tell it was made by someone who has a genuine affection for the property. Even so, the fact that Paramount pushed it back almost a year one month before it was scheduled to be released is quite concerning. However, I will say that Paramount themselves seem to have had a few problems recently, pushing back many films (Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, World War Z, Ninja Turtles), and not just GI Joe. So maybe the problem is more with them rather than with the film? I still think it was a silly move, regardless.

Rumors were it had more to do with leveraging Chaning Tatum's star power than problems with the movie but I'm not sure I totally buy that. But it might be well directed and badly written in any case. I haven't seen the Step Up movies to assess those.

I'm sure this news would be reveal for them when it was concreted, but they saw the facebook messages and felt pressure haha.
    MOTULA.ORG

I'm pretty excited by this news!

I hope for the best...
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

It is not where I am that matters, it is when

There are only four directors that should be allowed to touch MOTU. Peter Jackson, Quentin Tarantino, Joss Whedon, or Chris Nolan. Jon Chu wrecked GI Joe, we do not need him to **** up MOTU.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    That is like saying poop with hot fudge tastes better than poop with urine. In the end, poop is still poop. You can only go up from Rise of Cobra, but that does not mean Retaliation is going to be good as a movie.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    http://nooooooooooooooo.com/vader.jpg

There are only four directors that should be allowed to touch MOTU. Peter Jackson, Quentin Tarantino, Joss Whedon, or Chris Nolan. Jon Chu wrecked GI Joe, we do not need him to **** up MOTU.
    I'll give you the other guys, but Tarantino....no. Just no.

I'd love to see Whedon or Jackson do it. Guillermo Del Toro is another that I believe could do MOTU justice.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

At least it's not Michael Bay. It is possible that they held GI Joe 2 back because they thought it had potential to be great with a few extra scenes. If they didn't believe in it at all, would they put all that extra money into it?

who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    At least it's not Michael Bay.
    This X 1000
    He might make movies that make millions... just not the kind of movies I enjoy.

And, I don't think anyone can say Chu ruined GI Joe. We haven't seen it yet. After the train wreck of the first movie, 2 actually peaked my interest before it got pushed back. I think Battleship had a lot more to do with pushing GI Joe 2 back anyway. I think Hasbro was just afraid to have another property get sucked into the post Avengers void.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    http://nooooooooooooooo.com/vader.jpg

First off...aside from Whedon I'm fully on board with your directors.

Secondly...how do you know he ruined GI Joe? It hasn't come out yet.
    He didn't direct the first one. Stephen Sommers did.

Another website gave it a different feel, but still feels bad no way you look at it.
    http://www.fandango.com/movieblog/da...ed-718891.html

Good to see the writers of Predators are the ones still attached to the flick. I know that was announced ages ago, and I guess I just assumed somebody else took over writing duties!

Heroic Warrior
    ok #1 the motu movie needs fast paced action on film the step up movies have fast paced action check #2 needs someone who wont rethink the entire MOTU universe check #3 needs to be developed within a modest budget to continue being greenlit check #4 Needs a fanbase to Make themselves known to the production company via mass social media post check #5 Needs a believable cast to pull in a new audience as well as old ...........to be determined.

Well this sucks.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."