View Poll Results: What is MOTU principally to you?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • MOTU is principally a toy/figure line which happens to have cartoons and other media released too

19 63.33%
  • MOTU is principally a series of cartoon shows which happen to have toys and other media released too

8 26.67%
  • other?

3 10.00%

Thread: What does MOTU mean to you? A cartoon show? or a Range of Figures/Toys?

What does MOTU mean to you? A cartoon show? or a Range of Figures/Toys?

Its clear from looking at the forums that for some people MOTU is principally a range of toys/figures that happens to have cartoon shows (and other media) to go along with it. Then for some other people MOTU is a number of different cartoon shows, that happens to have some toys and merchandise released with them. Which is it to you?

(hopefull that makes sense )

If you answer "other" let us know what you think
    Last edited by slugworth; March 10, 2014 at 10:36am.

Heroic Warrior
    A toy line which happens to have cartoons and other related media. That's how it started, that's how it is. This viewpoint is also why I will always prefer the original mini-comic to the cartoon(s).
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

I imagine this will become a chicken or the egg argument .

Its the Toons that make us want the toys . I value the Cartoons more . They breathe life into lifeless toys.

I have a good memory . When i was 6 i saw the toys first before the cartoon and yes i was impressed . I also remember what i believe now was Sectaurs: Warriors of Symbion toys . I was impressed too but there was no cartoon for them
    Then i saw my first MOTU cartoon and my impressed for Heman was transformed into a frenzy of want . Up until then all my cartoons were , Walt Disney , Green Forest , Maya the Bee .

I never experienced anything like Heman . Cartoon violence , chains , demons , A castle shaped like a skull with a pretty bird lady living in it . An over muscled man riding a tiger !!! Gothic medieval fantasy , science and sorcery all on an alien planet covered in blue and purple flora . I was in awe .

Cartoons helped us to make sense of all these wierd aliens that would just as easy shoot a laser gun as they would cast a spell .

Imagine trying to understand or relate to MOTU toyline without any kind of media support .
    Last edited by MOLKROM; April 23, 2014 at 09:34am.
    MOTU and POP transformed my childhood years to gold

Quote Originally Posted by Collec-Tor View Post
    A toy line which happens to have cartoons and other related media. That's how it started, that's how it is. This viewpoint is also why I will always prefer the original mini-comic to the cartoon(s).
    this goes for me as well
    "I DENY YOU THE NIDUS!!"

in the 80s once I saw the toys in a Christmas catalogue i was hooked. I don't know what it was but my imagination SOARED seeing those first images and I knew I had to have them, that December (for Birtday and Christmas) Ithat is when I got my first MOTU toys and the first mini comics (the alcala/glut story books) and I ate it all up. when filmation debuted it threw out a lot of the ways I was playing with my MOTU but I still loved the cartoon, and I took that mainly as the canon, but I still played it my way (villains were dangerous and not so bumbling etc)

MOTU is more than just a toyline to me, but the toy line is the first and foremost teller of the story in my mind, which was cemented further due to the fact that filmation used very few of the toys in the cartoon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MOLKROM View Post
    I imagine this will become a chicken or the egg argument .

Its the Toons that make us want the toys . I value the Cartoons more . They breathe life into lifeless toys.

I have a good memory . When i was 6 i saw the toys first before the cartoon and yes i was impressed . I also remember what i believe now was Sectaurs: Warriors of Symbion toys . I was impressed too but there was no cartoon for them
    Then i saw my first MOTU cartoon and my impressed for Heman was transformed into a frenzy of want . Up until then all my cartoons were , Walt Disney , Green Forest , Maya the Bee .

I never experienced anything like Heman . Cartoon violence , chains , demons , A castle shaped like a skull with a pretty bird lady living in it . An over muscled man riding a tiger !!! Gothic medieval fantasy , swords and sorcery all on an alien planet covered in blue and purple flora . I was in awe .

Cartoons helped us to make sense of all these wierd aliens that would just as easy shoot a laser gun as they would cast a spell .

Imagine trying to understand or relate to MOTU toyline without any kind of media support .
    you said The Green Forest!!!! I LOVED that toon as a kid!!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I also recall a few years later the Green forest changed to Friends of the forest . Poor Johnny Woodchuck was now Rocky the Rat .
    MOTU and POP transformed my childhood years to gold

Heroic Warrior
    I voted toys.

Filmation was and is nice but it was and is all about the figures.

I voted other. For me, it's not one or the other. It's both.

Toys First.

Mini Comics Second.

Filmation Third.
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Heroic Warrior
    Groveport, ohio, a suburb of the Capitol, Columbus
    It's all the above and way much more. Cartoons were great, the toys were awsome. But I loved the thought of Masters of the Universe so much, It opened my mind into doing art, which at first was creating things for motu. Then my art involved all sorts of things. So other was my vote.

When it comes to MOTU I prefer the toys instead of cartoons.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Toys of course, they came first and are the core of the whole franchise.
    MOTUC Most Wanted : Attak Trak, Stridor, Night Stalker, Masks of Power Demons,
    Alcala-Style-Figures, Point Dread & Talon Fighter