View Poll Results: What year did you get into Masters of the Universe?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll

25 40.98%

13 21.31%

7 11.48%

6 9.84%

4 6.56%

0 0%
  • 1988 or later

6 9.84%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What year did you get into Masters of the Universe?

Merry Christmas! The All American's Avatar

What year did you get into Masters of the Universe?

What year did you get into Masters of the Universe? Doesn't necessarily have to be the year of your first figure, just the year you got into it.

Since I was 5 which was 1985. Little did I know this was the beginning of something bigger. One of my passions in life......

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    1982. I was hooked by the awesome Castle Grayskull commercial and by the mysterious box art.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

1985. good year.
    Please see my arts gallery here: www.pcpfh.wordpress.com Have fun browsing!

It was April/May 1982 and i still remember seeing the ad in the catalogue....
    He-man atop Battle cat at the front of Castle Grayskull and Skeletor was standing next to the Castle,which wasn't for sale at that time and i was 6 and didn't understand why everything in the photo wasn't for sale,and i got them for my sisters birthday,as my mum always made us equal and she would get something on my birthday,and that led to six great years of collecting figures,vehicles and playsets.

1985, had the toys, the t-shirt and the hair, it was truly a magical time.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Heroic Warrior Wundar_Grayskull's Avatar
    1983, Good Times, Good Memories!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Got in on the ground floor as I got the entire Wave 1 (including vehicles & Grayskull) for Christmas.
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Merry Christmas! The All American's Avatar
    I put 1983. I was born in 1982, but I can't remember a time that I didn't know/like Masters of the Universe. I know I watched the cartoon when I was a toddler, and found a picture of me wearing a He-Man shirt from early January 1984, so probably around the time the cartoon debuted in fall of 1983, I became a fan.

Would love to see how many came into the line in 1987 or 1988. Perhaps some inherited toys from their older siblings, or got into the series thanks to the re-runs on regular TV or USA Network.

For those who were alive and fully aware in 1982, did the toys just blow you away? That's what I'm gathering from those posts so far.

1982. I was seven, my brother was five, and we were all over those figures.

It started for me after seeing the movie Excalibur in I think 1981 and then Krull and Conan. It's all kinda foggy now, but it was around that time. Then the figures came out and I got the first wave and been hooked ever since.
    "Problems Weaver?"

Quote Originally Posted by Is-rael View Post
    It started for me after seeing the movie Excalibur in I think 1981 and then Krull and Conan. It's all kinda foggy now, but it was around that time. Then the figures came out and I got the first wave and been hooked ever since.
    for me it was the first He man and Beast man commercial that aired I think I was around 10 or so my first thought was oh my god that's my collection, ive been waiting for I used to ask myself why don't they just make something awesome. ask'ing god himself please just make something awesome, MOTU was and still is the answer today.as well as Transformers not movie transformers, and Gi Joe of course and Star wars just to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by rankinman View Post
    ...and the hair, it was truly a magical time.
    Gotta rock the hair, dude!

It was 1988 for me (am I the latest here?). I grew up in Yugoslavia and MOTU was a little late there. I was already 12, almost 13 and I remember my parents didn't want to buy me any toys because they thought I was too old for them. So I saved my pocket money, lunch money, birthday money and bought the toys myself. I loved them. So, I never really played withe MOTU. I was always collecting them, and I would arrange them on the shelf and come up with stories.

1982. IIRC, I got He-Man, Skeletor & Mer-Man, and my brother got Beast Man & MAA. It was magical. I wasn't a basher, I'd just stare at details for hours - the sculpt of Skeletor's Hood & "gloves" (I wondered if they were supposed to be gloves or just his anatomy), the parallelograms on He-Man's power harness, the details on the back of Mer-Man's head. When I got Castle Grayskull I spent as much time with the box as with the Castle. I loved the art, both front and back.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Gotta rock the hair, dude!

It was 1988 for me (am I the latest here?). I grew up in Yugoslavia and MOTU was a little late there. I was already 12, almost 13 and I remember my parents didn't want to buy me any toys because they thought I was too old for them. So I saved my pocket money, lunch money, birthday money and bought the toys myself. I loved them. So, I never really played withe MOTU. I was always collecting them, and I would arrange them on the shelf and come up with stories.
    Me too!
    I am even later than you, I just checked my first MOTU comic and it was from March 1989.
    http://www.he-man.org/publishing/item.php?id=2789
    I was 6 at the time I got into MOTU. Before that comic my dad bought me Yugoslavian bootleg (unpainted) He-Man packed with Jet Sled.

Snappy Threader
    1983 for me. Trap Jaw was my first, then Man-E-Faces. After quite a while I got Man-At-Arms and Beast Man...then a while after I got Battle Armor He-Man and Battle Armor Skeletor and after that it blossomed full blown and I was hooked. So summer time (approx) 1983 was when I got my start.

Sometime before returning to school 1982. The commercials I'm sure captivated me, what I remember most vividly were the minicomics and the eight back art. I remember looking at the figures on the pegs at the grocery store in near wonder. All of those characters were amazing to me and the minicomic made them better.
    Wax headed melting face Man at Arms seemed as dangerous as the villians even though the cardback said he was heroic.
    Skeletor was the first figure that I purchased or was purchased for me. On a camping trip I would make him magically appear from the campfire smoke.

Late 82 or early 83.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

I remember it was in '83. Having said that, 80's were, hands down, the best decade for a kid to grow up in!
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

I was there at the beginning,1982.The most vivid memories were 1984-85 as I was born in 1979.It's amazing how much the orgers remember as infants.

Heroic Warrior
    I wasn't born until '86 so obviously I came into things way late, my mum used to buy me the toys from bootsales around 1990 but because of the way they turned up, i was pretty sticking to the yearly releases the figures had (starting with series 4) just 5 years later than everyone else - weird.

I'm not sure, but i'm going to say '84.

I did see the cartoon when it first aired in '83, but I think playing with my friends' Battle Armour He-Man & Skeletor was what really got me into MOTU.

The first toys my parents got for me were definitely Prince Adam, Skeletor and Castle Grayskull.

I remember staring at the huge box with it's incredible artwork, while my dad assembled the castle and put all the stickers on...it took ages before I got to play with it! Those early memories of Castle Grayskull are some of my happiest.

Heroic Warrior
    The year it dropped. Never heard of it never saw a comercial but at easter my ma got me some motu toys and I loved em. I cant recall why I ever stopped liking em. Im thinking cus the cartoon stopped and the toys got corny? No idea. Last figure I remember ever getting were mantenna modulok and king hsss

Heroic Warrior
    I picked 1982, but I'm pretty sure the first time I saw these things was mid to late 1981- I do know for sure that the toys just up and appeared on shelves, were gone just about as fast, and for quite a while, a very lucky few would bring out their mini-comics to be gawked at, and memorized, on playgrounds and in class (might explain why my first love will always be the mini-comic origins over Filmation).
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar
    I was thinking of this today. I remember watching the cartoon after Kindergarten. 1983
    Satma needs to happen. I will mow your lawn for life, Scott.