Thread: "Wolfy Comic Book Reviews

Hybrid View

"Wolfy Comic Book Reviews

as the third post in my new review blog I decided to take a look at the DC comic "Origin of He-Man"

http://wolfyreviews.blogspot.co.uk/
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Evil Lord Of Destruction
    Had the comic in my hands, and did not dislike it so utterly...but hey, I think your review is quite on spot, and you have some fair points of critique there.

Well of course these are just my views and people are free to agree or disagree with them as they see fit. As I said I thought it had potential but it was just over too fast. Oh and I know it says #1 on the cover so there is a chance of more, but what more is there? We have already seen Adam go to grayskull (sort of) and get the sword and become He-Man for the first time, it is all there in the comic and yet it lacks the depth of past versions of his origin

-----------------

New review up

This time I took a look at the 6th digital comic. You know...the Orko one.

I didn't really care for it. Much like the Skeletor origin DC did, it felt like the middle act of a three act story, rather than a complete tale. I did like the art in both books, but it's a shame both were saddled with what seemed like poorly written fragments of a larger story.

Neither fit my ideas for the origins of these characters, but that's OK. I'm cool with there being different interpretations, but sadly, like every other print issue that DC has put out (I enjoyed most of the digital issues), they seemed half-baked, at best.
    -KTC

My FREE full-length MOTU novel:

MOTU: The Keldor Chronicles

And its newly-released sequel (which is also FREE):

MOTU: Legacies

Heroic Warrior

Ongoing DC Comic series - Desperate Times

Regarding your review of the most recent DC submission - Desperate Writing Standards - er - Times..

I agree with you entirely – and the many good points you make - and in fact believe that you have been rather over-kind to the writer, whose capacity to trivialize the momentous and confuse the obvious is almost unmatched in this context.

Just one further example to add to your many: do royal princes really banter their way insouciantly through memorial services to those lost in the cause of Eternia’s freedom, those who gave their lives to save them? If so, then this is no Eternia that I, for one, would recognize. And why would I - or anyone else - want to?

But, then, this Adam is an unfeeling brat, this Teela a bloodthirsty ----- , this Randor a shallow buffoon and this He-Man a brutal killer – and our sympathies are thus inexorably shifted towards the Horde, who at least have an excuse for their behavior.

One can only hope that Despera will do a good job and conquer Eternia (which these days seems to fall more frequently than France) and rapidly do away with this unlikeable and shallow crowd of supposed ‘heroes’. After all, this would surely satisfy the demands (of some) for ‘realism’ and buckets of blood.

But, somehow, I don’t see Giffen being that audacious; bold enough to turn most of the widely accepted characterization on its head (and - why?) and twist the tails of loyal MotU adherents, but not, I suspect, brave enough to follow through to the logical extrapolation.

So we are stuck with these truly dislikeable creations until either Mattel tires of the whole ill-judged experiment (and, going by the less than enthusiastic response almost across the board demonstrated in reviews, that may well be sooner than some think) or until DC finds a writer competent to handle the material. I wonder what Val Staples is doing these days..?

But, in the interim, more of the standard DC blood and banter, edge and attitude, with the Eternian mythos warped to fit that all-embracing straitjacket.

Not at all an appealing prospect, I fear….
    Last edited by Scriptor; April 26, 2013 at 09:57am.

I haven't gotten mine to read yet, but I already know I'm not going to like it, I like my He-Man more Filmation, but would love to see it more towards say, Ben 10, still comical in places (but without the constant comedy of Ben 10) but have some really serious kick ass throw downs where someone could get actually hurt, but just short of actually dying.

I prefer Teela to be stern and take charge, but not to be *****y.... From the sounds of it all, DC may mock Filmation, but in my eyes Filmation has the far superior characters and story. Just yet another reason I don't like Comics much at all. DC may take charge with Superheroes that have been their mainstay for decades, but in the world of MOTU, it's better left to someone else. Disagree all you like, this is simply my opinion. There's no place in MOTU for attitudes, egos and all out murder. I'll read them just to have something to do, but I will likely not be able to see them objectively, especially when it's something I find out of place or that seems just wrong.

I like DC for Superman, Batman, Green Lantern....etc, but I'll stick with Lou for MOTU.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Wolfy Reviews...He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (Ongoing) #2

Well here is my review of the second issue of the new ongoing MOTU comic series

http://wolfyreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2...ongoing-2.html

oh and if you are curious as to what I thought about #1

http://wolfyreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2...ongoing-1.html

Of course there are major spoilers in both reviews and they are just my opinions, feel free to agree or disagree as much as you like.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Well here is my review of the second issue of the new ongoing MOTU comic series

http://wolfyreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2...ongoing-2.html

oh and if you are curious as to what I thought about #1

http://wolfyreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2...ongoing-1.html

Of course there are major spoilers in both reviews and they are just my opinions, feel free to agree or disagree as much as you like.

I like it - harsh - but fair.

(And, personally, I thought #2 was better than #1) Why can't DC produce a quarter-way decent MotU comic? It can't be all THAT hard, for goodness sake!

And - oh - the deathless prose of Giffen: "It's almost too much to take in. A pan-dimensional vampire, armies that are more machine than man.." Many a true word spoken in jest. Unless it wasn't a jest; in which case - could it be self-referential parody? That, however, would require a degree of contextual awareness which has patently been absent from all his previous MotU work. So, in the end, it comes down to very bad writing. Again.
    Last edited by Scriptor; May 15, 2013 at 09:09pm.

Like Scriptor said - harsh, but fair review. Though could you try not to use too many female-exclusive insults for Teela? Even just calling her a "cow" can come off as anti-woman, to say nothing of some more severe insults.

well to pu tyour mind at rest be assured that I do not call her those things because she is a woman, it is because of the way she acts. If other characters become as annoying as her I shall call them just the same whether they are male or female.

Still I have changed cow to annoyance, but the B-word stays because really that is the best word I can think of to describe this version of Teela.

Thanks!

The problems with Teela's current portrayal come from DC's well-publicized hatred of women in the last few years. The writers CANNOT imagine a strong, capable woman without making her a vicious jerk, or a complete ****, or both. So the level-headed, responsible-yet-strong Teela got replaced with this new annoyance because that's just how they view women.