Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: has anyone had their wisdom teeth pulled?

I had mine pulled my senior year in college. My jaw isn't perfect from having a roof expander as a kid to stop an overbite. The teeth had broken through and were more on the slope of the jaw where they attach. One was starting to impact. I had it done over spring break. The only real problems I had was one I build tolerance to stuff fast, they had to reinject me with novocaine 5 times then moved to another when the last shot lasted all of about 15 seconds. The other I had drank a bit too much blood and was ill the week back to classes mainly just a vertigo.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

well I am 33 and had mine taken out on Dec 4th of last year.

I actually had 6 wisdom teeth compared to the normal six!

They didn't bother me for awhile but eventually a couple had cavities or were about to so I had them finally taken out.

I was knocked out for the surgery. I took a couple days off work and watched movies and tv shoes like MOTU lol.

I am glad I have them out and wish I would have done it when I was younger, and under my parents insurance so they would have had to pay.

Even then I am glad I finally did it.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

I had mine pulled when I was 20 something. Since we didnt have any money at the time I decided to go with the local. So they got em out, sewed me up and then I went home. I started to hemorrhage, so mom brought me back. They had to give me shots to "numb" me, but they had to give me shots in the wounds where they pulled the teeth. Well, after they shot me up they didnt wait for me to be numb so they stitched me back up while I could feel everything.

It was not cool.

I remember that being the worst of it, so anything after that was mild I think. I remember taking pills like the first day or two and then after that I didn't take anything but asprin or something.

I'd opt for the knock out part and I wouldn't relive that ever again.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

The older you are past 25, the worse it is upon removal, depending on the impaction.
    I had mine out at 34 and it was one of the most unpleasant experiences of my life. But I shudder to think how bad it could have been later. It was simply necessary, and I'm glad they're gone.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    The older you are past 25, the worse it is upon removal, depending on the impaction.
    I had mine out at 34 and it was one of the most unpleasant experiences of my life. But I shudder to think how bad it could have been later. It was simply necessary, and I'm glad they're gone.
    As I said, all 4 came in straight, not impacted. Though pulling the top 2 might be a chore since they don't stick down past the gums too far and might make it a trick for the dentist to grab hold.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not taking the hydrocodone anymore. I'm taking half tablets and suddenly started to feel like my breathing was slowed down. If a low dose is doing that I can't risk it.

Is there some reason dentist offices aren't open on Friday? Seems every office around here is Mon-Thurs only.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    As I said, all 4 came in straight, not impacted. Though pulling the top 2 might be a chore since they don't stick down past the gums too far and might make it a trick for the dentist to grab hold.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not taking the hydrocodone anymore. I'm taking half tablets and suddenly started to feel like my breathing was slowed down. If a low dose is doing that I can't risk it.

Is there some reason dentist offices aren't open on Friday? Seems every office around here is Mon-Thurs only.
    Typically it's because of the number of hours the office is opened the rest of the week. When you are working 10-12 hour days you often want three days off work instead of just two.

Some though that often have more than one dentist will use Fridays as a day for specific things though so they aren't open to walk ins. This would be for oral surgeries etc.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Got all of my removed just before my senior year in high school.
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Sssqueeze, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Had mine removed probably '98 or '99, thereabouts. It was no big deal. Laughing gas is your friend.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

All 4 when I was 15. Slept for a full day then when out to ride my skateboard with chipmunk cheeks and terrible breath. Oh to be young again.
    "Problems Weaver?"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

I had mine pulled when I was around thirty or so (or just before). I had no real issues and never had to take any of the pain medication they prescribed me. I don't know if that's unusual or not, but I was back to eating regular foods in just a few days as I recall.

I'm curious though.... I, too, was to have only two of my wisdom teeth pulled. I remember my oral surgeon advising me, though, that If a top wisdom tooth was removed, then the bottom tooth should be removed (and vice-versa) due to the fact that the two depended on each other to stay in play. For instance, if the bottom one only was pulled, then the top tooth would continue to grow in and not have anything to stop it from continuing to come in further and thus causing other problems. Apparently wisdom teeth do that? Not sure, but this is what I was told. Maybe it was a ploy just to get them all removed! But I am certainly glad they are all gone though.

Snappy Threader
    Had mine pulled, slept for a day and was all better soon after. No pain (had pills for it), so it wasn't bad at all. Much better than what was going on with them in that's for sure.

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    I had mine pulled about 9 years ago. And two of them were impacted, so they had to "crush" them first (that was all while I was under). I woke up just a bit during the stint, but faded back to "sleep".

As far as after-effects, in the middle of the night that first night after having it done, I woke up with such hurrrrrrrrting pain. I remember I was moaning to myself and rocking back and forth in bed while holding my jaws. I may have taken some medicine/painkillers then (if it was okay---I don't remember if I did cause you have to follow instructions and be very careful not to overdose on anything), and after a while it calmed down and I could go back to sleep.

Then I just had to take this little syringe-tube-thingy and fill it with water, and squirt it into the holes after every time I ate, to keep food particles out. Just had to be sure and do that after every eating, and things were fine.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

I had all four of mine removed in 2007. They were impacted, so I had to be knocked out. I remember the pre-surgery form had instructions like "Don't wear nail polish or lipstick to the surgery," which baffled me. I also remember being a little nervous because I hadn't had surgery since I was 5 (tonsillectomy), and I didn't know how I would react to the anesthesia. It all turned out fine in the end, though. My cheeks were puffy for the first two days and I had to eat soft foods, but I had the surgery on a Thursday and was back to work on Monday. Like Mer-Man's Minion, I had to use the syringe thing to rinse out the holes. Oh, and follow all the advice you're given about avoiding dry sockets. I never had one, but I've heard they're extremely painful.
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements."

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be."

~Peter Gibbons, Office Space

"How 'bout you not judge? How 'bout you just love?"

~Me

From my understanding no makeup during a surgery you are knocked out for is because you can't verbally communicate with the surgeon, but while knocked out your body can still do so through face flushing etc.

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    I had mine taken out when I was 30 (a couple of years back). I had all four removed and all four had to be surgically removed. They were worried one had grown in to my sinus cavity, but luckily that wasn't the case. A dentist should be able to tell normally by x-ray, but mine was literally right against the membrane.

I had them put me completely under since it was surgery instead of just pulling them out. I never took any pain medication after the procedure (high pain tolerance because I get migraines). I just read books and watched tv for the next few days. I was out and about the following evening.

The worst parts for me were the following:
    1. After the procedure I slept for a few hours so that night I couldn't sleep. Messed up my sleep schedule for a couple of days, but then I was back on track.
    2. Couldn't do any excercise for a month afterwards. I had been really good at going to the gym daily. After this surgery I have had a hard time getting back on track. Not sure if this is standard, but I guess due to the healing cuts in my mouth there was a risk that excercise could somehow make these cuts open.
    3. Be prepard not to eat anything solid for a few days. I was starving by the time it was over. I guess I love too many solid food!
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    Just FYI...
    If yer wisdom teeth are in and u have bo problems with them a good dentist SHOULD leave them in!
    Its unnecissary if you have no problems with them and have good oral health.
    But you have to make sure u brush them!!!
    hear hear! My dental surgeon told me there isn't any need to remove mine, I was so relieved, esp after I heard the news that I have an extra 2!!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

i did find a dentist who will take payments, and they have an opening tomorrow, so I plan to get the hurting upper right wisdom tooth pulled. Depending on cost and how the root looks I may have them put me under, depending on if there will be any complications pulling it out.

One thing to watch out for is that the teeth surrounding that section of the jaw the tooth is pulled from will be loose and shifting position for at least a year. One good wack and you could knock a tooth out of place or break a root (which is what happened to my upper right bicuspid).

Both my right wisdom teeth were removed. The bottom one was problematic; it was coming in at a 45 degree angle, and I was concerned about bacteria getting into the pocket developing underneath it. The top one was fine, but I was also informed to remove it in tandem with the bottom. Mistake. As stated above, the teeth will shift, so now the last tooth on the upper right has had the back sheared off by the tooth on the bottom due to them not growing into each other originally.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

I'm contemplating whether to go with local or IV. It might depend on the cost, but I also don't know if Novocaine will work on me.

Hey, good luck.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

Had all 4 of mine cut out when I was around 19-20 years old. I was put under and all went well with the surgery, but was in pain for about 5-6 days after.

i did find a dentist who will take payments, and they have an opening tomorrow, so I plan to get the hurting upper right wisdom tooth pulled. Depending on cost and how the root looks I may have them put me under, depending on if there will be any complications pulling it out.
    Good luck. Keep us updated.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

All 4 of mine came in with plenty of room but they were lacking the protective coating (enamel?) that they were supposed to have. They were actually sort of brownish in color because of the lack of coating. They started rotting away almost instantly. Unfortunately, I didn't have dental insurance for a while so I just dealt with them. I went about a year without being able to eat any candy because the cavities were so sensitive to sugar. I finally got them removed and I don't miss them one bit. But since I actually had enough room for them I can actually feel the bare spot on my gums where they are supposed to be.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

I went in today, all they did was an x-ray. My right upper wisdom tooth is in pain, but the upper left is also decaying, and both need to come out. I will need to be sedated and it's scheduled for May 10. I also have a bad gag reflex so local probably isn't going to be suitable. The night before I will take valium, then someone will have to drive me to the dentist and I'll probably not remember it at all. I suppose it's better this way, as the left is decaying and will probably need to come out later on regardless. On the plus side, my roots aren't a problem- they aren't long and they're fairly straight. For now I'm on antibiotics to counter the abscess.

I went with a dentist a friend's family uses. He's a former Army dentist, Gulf War veteran and aside from his practice here he also does missionary work abroad- he said that 2 weeks ago he was in Africa and did 500 extractions in 3 days. I think I'm in qualified hands. Being referred this way, they're waiving the sedation fee- this is costing me $500 but it'd be $200 more if I were paying for sedation.

I went in today, all they did was an x-ray. My right upper wisdom tooth is in pain, but the upper left is also decaying, and both need to come out. I will need to be sedated and it's scheduled for May 10. I also have a bad gag reflex so local probably isn't going to be suitable. The night before I will take valium, then someone will have to drive me to the dentist and I'll probably not remember it at all. I suppose it's better this way, as the left is decaying and will probably need to come out later on regardless. On the plus side, my roots aren't a problem- they aren't long and they're fairly straight. For now I'm on antibiotics to counter the abscess.

I went with a dentist a friend's family uses. He's a former Army dentist, Gulf War veteran and aside from his practice here he also does missionary work abroad- he said that 2 weeks ago he was in Africa and did 500 extractions in 3 days. I think I'm in qualified hands. Being referred this way, they're waiving the sedation fee- this is costing me $500 but it'd be $200 more if I were paying for sedation.
    Thanks for the update and good luck. Hope you won't be in too much pain as you await your May 10th appointment.

Also, if money is a problem, you can always checkout the closest Dental school. Before I had dental insurance I went to the University of Louisville Dental school where dental students did the procedures with dentists watching over them. The process took longer, but was also much less expensive since you are helping dental students learn by being their guinea pig.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Cost isn't an issue- I paid $250 of it yesterday and will pay the remaining after it's done. Office visit plus x-ray was $150, while the procedure and visit will be $350. I also raised $70 on the MH doll forums selling Nefera and Toralei, had been putting some money back for emergency use starting in January.