Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The next incarnation of Masters of the Universe? Thoughts?

Heroic Warrior

The next incarnation of Masters of the Universe? Thoughts?

So I was chatting with friends the other day, and the subject came up about version 2.0 Classics of A-Listers like He-Man and Teela, Sorceress, etc. vs something all-new to jump-start the line.

I have seen and heard ideas from Mini-Masters, to block figures, to Neo-200x, to new DC comics, to new movie, to finding Classics in retail with fewer paint aps/accessories. How would you feel if He-Man was re-done yet again with a new line and re-telling of the story? And if so, how?

Would you buy the new incarnation? I, myself, am impartial to a good story, but I dropped my 200X for Classics, and I can't foresee giving these guys up for anything. QC issues, questionable bios/canon and CS aside, this is the most expansive and definitive collection I will own of MOTU. Any toy of Masters I would want should only supplement the Classics line unless it's completely different yet compelling in its own way. I don't want the new incarnation to tarnish the Classics line in any way.

If the mini-masters came out, it would be fun, given I can put them on my work desk. They satisfy a completely different aesthetic and appeal to me in a different way. As unpopular as it may be, He-Man has shown it can be a serious epic or a campy fun property. I feel the next story should be humor-oriented. I see the Mini-Masters untapped, and I see the fun iPad game, and this look would be great for a funny series while being referential and clever. Their cast is vast enough to appeal to a Skylanders audience and I think Mattel could cast a wide net if executed properly. If they kept the moral theme intact from FilMation, conservative parents may even be ok with this. It would be a huge departure from what the fanbase here may prefer, but I think kids today would embrace this execution, and grow into another adult series and movie the same way it did for us. The Mini-Masters already carry a Skylanders-style vibe, and Mattel does those iPad Hot Wheels game in the Fruit Ninja vein.

I would love to see Mini-Masters be the new aesthetic with fun vehicles and accessories. If electronic like a Skylander, I think adding weapons and armor could be "read" on the base figure to augment their stats would be fantastic. Heck, they could even truncate the castle accessories (weapons Rack, dungeon doors etc, throne), and make the Classics castle compatible with the Mini-Masters line. At least He-Man and Battle Cat would ride through the jawbridge now.

So...what direction should MOTU go in next?
    Last edited by Jun-Yor; April 16, 2013 at 11:01am.

Im sure it will be 33/4 size.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun-Yor View Post
    How would you feel if He-Man was re-done yet again with a new line and re-telling of the story? And if so, how? So...what direction should MOTU go in next?
    I'm thinking of Masters of the Universe set in the modern business world. He-Man in his 3-piece suit is the CEO of the Grayskull Corporation. With his team of executives and the reclusive owner, The Sorceress, he tries to keep the company in the black and prevent Skeletor and his corporate raiders from purchasing enough stock to gain control of the Grayskull Corporation. He holds aloft his mighty pen and yells "By the power of attorney!" to block takeover attempts and keep The Grayskull Corporation intact. I can just see the action packed legal battles they would have in the boardroom! The power lunches! POW! The internal intrigue! BAM! The insider trading! KRETCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Jun-Yor View Post
    Would you buy the new incarnation?
    Ehhh, probably not. I'm thinking alot of action figures that look like Walter Peck from the Ghostbusters line.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I don't think Mattel could beat these figures, unless they used 200X designs. But even 200X designs are sticking with what we know, just with unique sculpts and more detail.

The next incarnation of MOTU might be some high-tech Phantasy Star-esque fantasy thing where the whole beefy, fur clad barbarian aspect is phased out entirely. I could easily see Adam and Teela as teens or even younger kids. Teched out weapons and carbon suits with bits of snap-on armor. Like NA, but with classic characters.

Maybe the first few pages of that ongoing could be where things are going with a new incarnation. Where the characters are wearing uniforms with mandarin colors.

It might be a 3" inch line, but Mattel has to learn how to make compelling 3" figures. Their 3' lines are terrible. First Infinite Heroes pegwarmed, then the Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel and Green Lantern joined the ranks of Mattel's terrible 3", low articulated figures.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I'm thinking of Masters of the Universe set in the modern business world. He-Man in his 3-piece suit is the CEO of the Grayskull Corporation. With his team of executives and the reclusive owner, The Sorceress, he tries to keep the company in the black and prevent Skeletor and his corporate raiders from purchasing enough stock to gain control of the Grayskull Corporation. He holds aloft his mighty pen and yells "By the power of attorney!" to block takeover attempts and keep The Grayskull Corporation intact. I can just see the action packed legal battles they would have in the boardroom! The power lunches! POW! The internal intrigue! BAM! The insider trading! KRETCH!
    I love this idea
    10-15-2011 1:30pm Eastern
    The MOTUC line and all its fans were taken for the ass

Let us never forget.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
    I love this idea
    Thanks, Fabby. It's really just my attempt to put some pants on the male characters in MOTU which are sorely lacking on Eternia (the pants I mean).
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; April 16, 2013 at 01:35pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    I would buy statues like the PopCultureShock ones. Maybe the Mini Masters, but I won't support another toyline like this...

Golems for 2016! AdultCollector's Avatar
    More MOTUC figures.

Heroic Warrior
    ehhh... Not that we don't love the figs, but I think a lot of us are getting burnt out with MOUTC as is, and are looking towards the end. The whole sub-or-else model just can't sustain more than 1 more year IMO. It's just way too expensive of a committment and those of us that have been here supporting the line from the beginning are about tapped out with the cost and having to deal with Matty, DR, Scott, and just want our collection finished.

At this point I think retail in support of a movie is about the only avenue left. And the cost of said figs would need to come down signifigantly.

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    More MOTUC figures.
    Yes, this. Screw 200x or whatever else at a higher or lower price. Let's finish MOTUC.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Robot Knights 2) Stridor 3) Night Stalker 4) Tung Lashor 5) Squeeeze 6) Lizard Man 7) Roton 8) Multi-Bot 9) Ninjor 10) Dragstor 11) Saurod 12) Blast-Attak 13) Karg 14) Gwildor 15) Lodar 16) Mask of Power Demons 17) TC Skeletor 18) FF He-Man

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Yes, this. Screw 200x or whatever else at a higher or lower price. Let's finish MOTUC.
    and after finish motuc let's produce another round of them
    honestly I dont think mattel could create something better

Even if there is another incarnation of MOTU, I hope they keep going with MOTUC. Even if it's just a few figures a year. I couldn't see why there would be an official need to cancel the line completely when Mattel owns it and can do whatever they want with it.

I think a 3 3/4 inch line with GIJoe style articulation is where it will end up. This would open the doors for releasing vehicles and playsets that would do MoTU justice. It will just need new media to attract a new customer base to survive. I think is older collectors have our ultimate line and won't be investing all in with any new lines, unless it is for our kids.
    Though I would love Mini-Masters as well. Mattel could make a fortune with a Skylanders type game with MOTU characters and story lines, but they won't because they will move too slow and miss the boat.

It seems more and more action figures lines are moving towards the 3 3/4 scale because it's cheaper to make, vehicles are easy to produce and there is a more standard look to figures in this scale that allows for mixing and matching from other lines.

But as I have said before Mattel is better with the 6 inch scale than they are with the 3 3/4 inch scale hasbro in the past being the opposite but I think have some promising looking 6 inch figures coming out.

thing is they have many options, they can make the fisher price style toys that would likely do fairly well, and the 1 inch micro figures would do well. I can picture both of those in my head right now.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by eCollector View Post
    ehhh... Not that we don't love the figs, but I think a lot of us are getting burnt out with MOUTC as is, and are looking towards the end. The whole sub-or-else model just can't sustain more than 1 more year IMO. It's just way too expensive of a committment and those of us that have been here supporting the line from the beginning are about tapped out with the cost and having to deal with Matty, DR, Scott, and just want our collection finished.

At this point I think retail in support of a movie is about the only avenue left. And the cost of said figs would need to come down signifigantly.
    This. I'm okay, if this line ends when the most demanded figures are released. This line had too many issues, which ruined my buying experience over the years. I have put my money in some Sidehow statues and 1/6 scale stuff and am more satisfied with it. I will support the PCS statues and more adult geek stuff, but I won't buy anything from Mattel again. The way, they praise their toys as "adult collector stuff" is ridiculous.

I really like 90% of the 4HM sculpts and I think those guys are great. But some choices for this line, for example Weapons Paks repaints or explanations for Stinkor's forearms, are just a joke. I hope, I get some real adult collector stuff from MOTU from other companies and I think first impressions from the 1/4 PCS statue stuff look really good.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    More MOTUC figures.
    Basically. Yeah, I'd rather keep on collecting this line than catering to the kiddies with a new incarnation that appeals more to their tastes.

I just hope the line can survive all the Vintage fans bailing after their remaining characters are released.

If the line needs heavy hitters after the Vintage line has been put out, just revisit them through variants or improved figures. With all of the major characters released, there would be no anxiety over "I'm not getting Nocturna!!!" Plenty of people who would like Snake Armor He-Man or Filmation Hordak. Perhaps an improved Teela, Sorceress or He-Man! Hell, an improved more Filmation-like Frosta with ice weapons! Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn! Orange and red Ram Man.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Well, while never say never, I don't think that I would get into a new line past Classics, especially if they didn't fit in with MOTUC in terms of scale and quality. However I do think that a new "kids friendly" line in retail coupled with some kind of cartoon will be the next incarnation, and it needs to be. Once MOTUC ends I think a larger part of the MOTU/POP market will be "tapped out", because a major part of the MOTUC appeal is nostalgia and getting updates to characters or getting these characters for the first time.

I doubt they could launch a "MOTUC 2.0" in a different scale (say 4 inch) and have the same success. What MOTU will need to do next is to start reaching new collectors.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

The new incarnation of MOTU should be focused on the movie. Hopefully, Classics can continue at the same time.

Heroic Warrior
    I've done the last two lines (200x and MOTUC) nearly completion-ist style with MOC and loose (I'm missing 3 chase figures from 200x and I didn't go after minor variants such as He-Ro stone color in MOTUC) and I'm running out of space. I really don't want to start over... about the only thing I would consider are LEGO sets. I just can't see much else... if they do another new line, they aren't going to do custom molds again like they did in 200x, they aren't likely to increase in size, articulation, or detail above MOTUC for cost reasons. If they go smaller, like 3 3/4", I just don't think it would feel right...

I would have NO interest in new smaller figures. It's enough work collecting all of these. I'd rather this line continue with new versions and lots of new characters. That's the spirit of the vintage line.

I could imagine buying a few 12" sideshow/Hot Toys versions though....

As far as moving the incarnations forward: take a look at the preview of the first 5 pages of the DC Comic. That's one possibility. The movie will be another. I hope we get some MOTUC figures from both!

Well, even if the MOTUC line ends in the next few years, I'd love to get a few random figures sprinkled in as time goes on-say those concept or obscure characters we love so much, or even some of the odd 200X variants (Jungle Attack He-Man, please!).

As for the next incarnation, I'll be all over the Mini-Masters as soon as Matty frees them. My daughter would have a complete set...which she can borrow from me any time she wants.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    ...the reclusive owner, The Sorceress....

Bahahahaha ha!!

That's awesome!! She's like this crazy, eccentric shut-in with a ton of money who lives in some HUGE megalithic townhouse, and has a lot of pet birds and wears bird-themed business suits or capes. Very Norma Desmond meets Leona Helmsley.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    The new incarnation of MOTU should be focused on the movie. Hopefully, Classics can continue at the same time.
    This is what I was thinking.... but, which movie? The 1987 flick, or the yet-to-be-released one??

Personally, I think in the new MOTU movie, a lot of things are going to be altered/changed/removed from what we all know and love. It could be good (Avengers) or it go horribly awry (Transformers, G.I. Joe).... Either way, I believe this will be the next iteration of MOTU, most likely in a 3 3/4" scale. But, I'm with Mega on this one, PLEASE Mattel, learn how to make small figures!!!!!
    **Staunch FILMation Subscription supporter!!! **** NEEDS a New Adventures Subscription!!!**

MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

I was thinking Miss Havisham from Great Expectations, lol. But seriously if He-man gets reinvented I'll probably pass. There is a time when I must stop purchasing toys, and I'm afraid due to space and finances I think that moment is coming sooner than later. But I'd be interested in the comic or cartoon..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    This is what I was thinking.... but, which movie? The 1987 flick, or the yet-to-be-released one??

Personally, I think in the new MOTU movie, a lot of things are going to be altered/changed/removed from what we all know and love. It could be good (Avengers) or it go horribly awry (Transformers, G.I. Joe).... Either way, I believe this will be the next iteration of MOTU, most likely in a 3 3/4" scale. But, I'm with Mega on this one, PLEASE Mattel, learn how to make small figures!!!!!

I don't get why G.I. Joe or Transformers had to go horribly awry though? There are better ways to translate that lore into cinema then what we got. Joe retaliation didn't quite **** me off like the 1st one did.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

Quote Originally Posted by enoch View Post
    Im sure it will be 33/4 size.
    If they did this? They could absolutely re-purpose Castle Grayskull.
    And that would quiet all complaints of it's size.

I even think the Mini Masters would work with a re-purposed Grayskull just for them. (Shrink the throne, the computers, etc.)

Why am I alway bringing it back to Grayskull? I'm surprised you all haven't banned me yet because of it.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog