Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 131

Thread: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Ongoing #1 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

  1. #26
    Evil Sorcerer! Pravus Prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxieman View Post
    Um...yeah. Read issues 1-6 of the mini series! That should get you caught up!
    That's the problem. They spent all this effort on getting people to know that this is a new comic, but put us in the middle of a story which is going to turn people off very quickly. The point of a #1 is to be an easy jumping on point for a new series.

    Expecting us to read 6 other comics from another series to get the reader up to speed on a number one issue is the dumbest thing in comics since the Spiderman Clone saga.

    No, I'm not reading 6 other issues to get up to speed, I shouldn't have to in order to understand what's going on in a number one. It's going to cost this comic lots of readers that otherwise would've given it a fair shake.
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

  2. #27
    Born A Monster wolfsfang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,339
    If you want to know my views on this comic then check out my review blog at

    http://wolfyreviews.blogspot.co.uk/
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

    and if you get the chance

    Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

  3. #28
    Yuengling danielsan52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    2,230
    Sorry, I just can't get into this if Adora is that evil.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I would be all over this comic if it was based on/in the MOTUC world. I don't like this Elseworlds type story
    Danielsan

    Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

    https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

  4. #29
    Evil Collapsing Robot! Zodach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    3,263
    I only read issue 1 of the miniseries (waiting on the TPB), but I had a good idea what was going on and what they were referring to based on comments of that series that I've come across. So far I like the grand scale of the Horde invasion vs. Eternia/Eternos that they've laid out in this first book. The redesigns don't bother me at all and I can definitely get behind a reinterpretation of MOTU.

  5. #30
    Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miami Beach, FL
    Posts
    3,213
    There was a lot of good and bad.

    "Don't go there!"? That's how they explain another design shift?

    Teela stripping down in the hallway? Why?

    The art was hit and miss...about 50/50.

    I like the violence. I'm so tired of reading stories in this violent, barbaric age where everyone carries weapons designed to bludgeon and dismember and no blood is ever shed. Good. It's about time these stories grew up. I don't see too many 10-year-olds running around with MOTU toys/merchandise. Most MOTU fans are grown men and women, I'm glad for a grown-up story.


    All in all, I'm going to wait a few issues before passing judgement.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

  6. #31
    Snappy Threader
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Southern Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Waters View Post
    There was a lot of good and bad.

    "Don't go there!"? That's how they explain another design shift?

    Teela stripping down in the hallway? Why?

    The art was hit and miss...about 50/50.

    I like the violence. I'm so tired of reading stories in this violent, barbaric age where everyone carries weapons designed to bludgeon and dismember and no blood is ever shed. Good. It's about time these stories grew up. I don't see too many 10-year-olds running around with MOTU toys/merchandise. Most MOTU fans are grown men and women, I'm glad for a grown-up story.


    All in all, I'm going to wait a few issues before passing judgement.
    I couldn't have said it better myself! Great post fella.

  7. #32
    Heroic Warrior Slave2Evil_Lyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,702
    Best part was seeing Teela returned her red haired self. They are clearly poking fun at the huge debate that was her hair color. I didn't like that she striped down in front of everyone, it just seemed like a reason to have a female in bra and panties, which is tacky. I also felt that she came off a little to *****y at times, and disrespectful to the Sorceress. Where did her hatred of mages come from?

    I can see where some are thinking that the Sorceress has invaded Teela's mind that is why she knows who Adora is. I was also think it's possible that in this version Teela could be older than Adam and thus knows he had a twin sister who was kidnapped. But then again if that was the case would she no remember or recognize the Horde armor or robots. That's assuming that when Adora was kidnapped it was done with an invading army. Maybe it was all using magic. I hope we get an answer in the next issue, as well as more clues to whether or not the Sorceress is truly dead. I don't like starting this new comic series with on of the 3 original females dead. The Sorceress is far to important to be dead, and I've always like Teela more as the Captain of the Guard vs becoming the next/new Sorceress.

    It also seems that in this version Teela is the actual daughter of The Sorceress not a clone, which I'm happy about, I hate the cloning thing.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

  8. #33
    Heroic Podcaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    IOWA
    Posts
    1,440
    I'm a trade paperback guy so am waiting for the mini-series to be collected in that form. Will do the same with the ongoing.

    Glad to see MOTU comics doing well!
    ANGELLA! Blast Attak Buzzsaw Hordak Dragstor ELDOR! ENTRAPTA! FLUTTERINA! Flying Fists He-Man GWILDOR!
    Lazer Light He-Man Lazer Light Skeletor MERMISTA! MULTI-BOT! NINJOR! Peekablue Perfuma RIO BLAST! Rotar
    Saurod SPINNERELLA! Sssqueeze SWEET BEE! Terror Claws Skeletor TUNG LASHOR! Twistoid

  9. #34
    Master of My Soul MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell
    Posts
    9,122
    QUESTION: Everyone that has read it. Did you purchase the comic sub on Matty? or did you get it elsewhere? Because I haven't had mine delivered yet.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

  10. #35
    Rainbow Warrior Irian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,494
    Some good. Some bad.

    I like the "formal" clothes Duncan, Adam and Teela wear, mainly because it seems more realistic that characters do not always wear the same outfit...

    I like that they address that it not that clear cut and you could argue the Sorceress abandoning her child because of her duties isn't a very nice thing.

    Also, when Duncan talks about never having stopped loving the Sorceress they seem to imply he's actually Teela's real father and hasn't just adopted her...

    I like the banter between Adam, Teela and Duncan. It may be just my upbringing, but my siblings and I riffing like that all the time ... because we know and love each other and know the others feel the same. So I really do not see this "Teela is a b" stuff, people keep talking about.

    I hate that they used the Filmation design for King Randor! Ugh! The palace is OK but that Randor...

    I think it's great that they didn't know the Sorceress was called Teela'Na. Teela's surprise is great. And I think they are setting something up here....

    Oh, and it's great that the Horder and Despara are a real threat! Evil, violent, dangerous! Love it!

    BUT that Hordak redesign is just ... bad. No redeemable qualities whatsoever.

    It's nice to see Dekker is included.

    I also think that Teela stripping down in the hallway in front of Dekker, Duncan and Adam informs quite a lot of character about Teela: a) She really hates her formal attire and wants to get out of it as soon as possible. b) She doesn't really care there are onlookers, she does what she wants. I really, really like it that they manage to show so much character just through the pictures while the text is about something completely different...

    Speaking of which... I am pretty sure that with Teela questioning the death of the Sorceress and suggesting her essence may have been transfered they are setting up that the essence of the Sorceress has been actually transferred into Teela.

    And the final page pretty much confirms it: How else could Teela recognize Adora if not for the essence of the Sorceress?

    All in all I liked it quite a bit.

  11. #36
    Born A Monster wolfsfang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,339
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    QUESTION: Everyone that has read it. Did you purchase the comic sub on Matty? or did you get it elsewhere? Because I haven't had mine delivered yet.
    I have a digital copy of the comic.

    Irian - The *****iness comes from her general attitude towards people, like Adam and the Sorceress and the way her response to pretty much everything is with threats of physical violence down to outright bloodlust and desire to kill.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

    and if you get the chance

    Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

  12. #37
    Heroic Warrior Rodster6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,705
    I don't have a problem with killing in this barbaric world of swords and sorcery. What I don't like is the heros enjoying it so much with such enthusiasm. Teela is so unlikable in this series. When she isn't acting like an utter biatch she strips off in front of her father and others to her undies. Why?

  13. #38
    Born A Monster wolfsfang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,339
    Yes killing is fine. I agree that in a world where people run around with sword, axes and laser pistols that people should be killed. But as you say Rodster Teela is just so unlikable and a big part of that comes from the fact she revels in the carnage as much as (if not more so) then all the evil warriors combined
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

    and if you get the chance

    Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

  14. #39
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,514
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Yes killing is fine. I agree that in a world where people run around with sword, axes and laser pistols that people should be killed. But as you say Rodster Teela is just so unlikable and a big part of that comes from the fact she revels in the carnage as much as (if not more so) then all the evil warriors combined
    That's nothing new. He-Man and Battle Cat were talking about how they preferred to kill demons while dispatching them back in Pre-Filmation.

    This series appears to take influences from all over.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  15. #40
    Heroic Warrior General Hawk 7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brandon Florida
    Posts
    1,006
    Hey, is there a thread for the first digital comic run? I just read "The Beginning" today!
    At MATTYCOLLECTOR.com, 'ALL SALES ARE FINAL'...UNLESS it's in THEIR ADVANTAGE to not be...

    Feedback Thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=185599

    Find me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...00003950889698

  16. #41
    Master of My Soul MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell
    Posts
    9,122
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    QUESTION: Everyone that has read it. Did you purchase the comic sub on Matty? or did you get it elsewhere? Because I haven't had mine delivered yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    I have a digital copy of the comic.
    Thanks for the reply wolfsfang. What about everyone else?
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

  17. #42
    Heroic Warrior Jinxieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Longview, WA
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by Pravus Prime View Post
    That's the problem. They spent all this effort on getting people to know that this is a new comic, but put us in the middle of a story which is going to turn people off very quickly. The point of a #1 is to be an easy jumping on point for a new series.

    Expecting us to read 6 other comics from another series to get the reader up to speed on a number one issue is the dumbest thing in comics since the Spiderman Clone saga.

    No, I'm not reading 6 other issues to get up to speed, I shouldn't have to in order to understand what's going on in a number one. It's going to cost this comic lots of readers that otherwise would've given it a fair shake.
    Lol! Ok! Heaven forbid as a MOTU fan you would want to read more comics! But as others have said this story is not so complicated as to throw readers off. Every story that doesn't start with the hero's birth comes in the middle. This also is a very common thing in comics, to start with a mini series and transition into a series starting over with number one after the mini series ends, but continuing with the same story. I don't think any written work needs a "previously on" segment.

  18. #43
    Flamboyant Etherian Rebel Chakram1701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    Thanks for the reply wolfsfang. What about everyone else?

    I subscribed on the DC site right before the Mattycollector offer happened....still haven't got mine yet either...wonder what the hold up is?
    My fan-film "She-Ra : Surely You Jest" is done and live!!! Watch now at : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOi64X4E60Y

  19. #44
    Master of My Soul MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell
    Posts
    9,122
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    QUESTION: Everyone that has read it. Did you purchase the comic sub on Matty? or did you get it elsewhere? Because I haven't had mine delivered yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chakram1701 View Post
    I subscribed on the DC site right before the Mattycollector offer happened....still haven't got mine yet either...wonder what the hold up is?
    Thanks for the reply Chakram1701.

    What about everyone else? Are you all reading a digital copy or did you receive the comic in the mail???
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

  20. #45
    Keeper of the Chaos Eye Neaves The Wicked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by General Hawk 7 View Post
    Hey, is there a thread for the first digital comic run? I just read "The Beginning" today!
    I have not seen one yet but I just read All 8 of the digital first comics and they were Awesome I thought. Filled in a lot of backround. I hope they eventually go to print.
    Last edited by Neaves The Wicked; April 18, 2013 at 04:32pm.
    And you thought Skeletor was dead???

  21. #46
    CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    belfast northern ireland
    Posts
    5,514
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Stupidity?! I'm glad they gave a nod to real MOTU history by having Teela as a natural blonde before she dyed her hair red.
    yes stupidity much like the entire design of this comic it was change for the sake of change thats where the stupidity comes into it, judging by your avatar you may be a bit bias on this artistic style but while it may be a nod to the original mini comics. the characters is now so far removed and so much better known as a red head it was completely random and painted them into a corner that everyone knew would cause confusion when they introduced adora, they had to use a deus ex machina as hair dye

    hair dye in a MOTU comic,when all of this could have been simply avoided by just keeping her a red head, like the toy, the toons, the books, basiclly everything bar a few random mini comics and a na adventure(which is still to be debated that it was meant to be she-ra)
    Last edited by the_ultimate_evil; April 18, 2013 at 05:20pm.
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

  22. #47
    Heroic Master of Maturity SCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    7,653
    New issue today dealing with Sorceress's death and Despara invading Eternos Palace. Pretty good except I want to punch Teela in the face.

    And I'm completely sold on a Despara figure!

  23. #48
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mad City, WI
    Posts
    884
    I loved it! While I agree with others that for an issue marked #1, you'd think they wouldn't want to throw readers into what obviously isn't the start of the story. A few paragraphs on the first page, catching readers up, would have been nice. And I say this even though I've read all of the recent DC MOTU comics. That being said, I loved every single minute of the issue. The bickering between Teela and Adam, the red hair, Teela realizing she's named after the Sorceress...there were nods to other versions of the mythos all over the place. I also agree that the "stripping" scene was a little much, but I'm not going to dwell on it. Great seeing Dekker in the mix. And the last page means either Adora was already rescued from the Horde once, or Teela has inherited her mother's essence/knowledge and knows who Adora is. That makes the most sense and could lead to some wonderful stories, where Teela's burgeoning powers keep showing up randomly. I would love if the first panel of issue 2 is a shot of Teela saying, "Wait a minute...who's Adora??"

  24. #49
    Keeper of the Chaos Eye Neaves The Wicked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by DVD View Post
    I loved it! While I agree with others that for an issue marked #1, you'd think they wouldn't want to throw readers into what obviously isn't the start of the story. A few paragraphs on the first page, catching readers up, would have been nice. And I say this even though I've read all of the recent DC MOTU comics. That being said, I loved every single minute of the issue. The bickering between Teela and Adam, the red hair, Teela realizing she's named after the Sorceress...there were nods to other versions of the mythos all over the place. I also agree that the "stripping" scene was a little much, but I'm not going to dwell on it. Great seeing Dekker in the mix. And the last page means either Adora was already rescued from the Horde once, or Teela has inherited her mother's essence/knowledge and knows who Adora is. That makes the most sense and could lead to some wonderful stories, where Teela's burgeoning powers keep showing up randomly. I would love if the first panel of issue 2 is a shot of Teela saying, "Wait a minute...who's Adora??"
    Go to comixology.com and check this out for more on Despara. These are the 8 I just read today.
    And you thought Skeletor was dead???

  25. #50
    Quester JonWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    13,946
    Not for me. Just not enjoying it. I don't mind the violence or any of that. I just don't like the character portrayals.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •