Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Ongoing #1 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Neaves The Wicked View Post
    Go to comixology.com and check this out for more on Despara. These are the 8 I just read today.
    I appreciate that, and I'm sure others will as well, however like I stated above, I've read all of the current DC content, either digital or printed. So I know who Despara is, and absolutely love the idea of her! Thanks for looking out for a fellow fan, though.

Keeper of the Chaos Eye Neaves The Wicked's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DVD View Post
    I appreciate that, and I'm sure others will as well, however like I stated above, I've read all of the current DC content, either digital or printed. So I know who Despara is, and absolutely love the idea of her! Thanks for looking out for a fellow fan, though.
    Rock On DVD! Yeah I'm completely digging the whole thing too. To me this great and I love all 15 books. I can't wait for the 8 Digital Firsts to be printed!
    And you thought Skeletor was dead???

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    Thanks for the reply wolfsfang. What about everyone else?
    Comixology....

I rather like it. I found myself shocked and disappointed when I got to the last page...... "It's over already?!?!?!?" I asked myself.

The Brainwashing/programming of Adora into a cold, heartless killing machine is a nice plot point. I think it's far more likely that the Hordak and Horde (being an intergalactic army bent on conquest and domination) would delight twisting and distorting Adora's nature.
    Last edited by 80's Enthusiast; April 18, 2013 at 06:41pm. Reason: adding to content

Heroic Warrior
    I picked it up and don't like it. This new 52 He-Man isn't my speed.
    Good trades with: Cammor

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the_ultimate_evil View Post
    yes stupidity much like the entire design of this comic it was change for the sake of change thats where the stupidity comes into it, judging by your avatar you may be a bit bias on this artistic style but while it may be a nod to the original mini comics. the characters is now so far removed and so much better known as a red head it was completely random and painted them into a corner that everyone knew would cause confusion when they introduced adora, they had to use a deus ex machina as hair dye

hair dye in a MOTU comic,when all of this could have been simply avoided by just keeping her a red head, like the toy, the toons, the books, basiclly everything bar a few random mini comics and a na adventure(which is still to be debated that it was meant to be she-ra)
    I like Blonde Teela, but I've never said we should never see Teela as a redhead, that's the difference between some red hair fans and myself. I've always been a proponent of her having both looks; if the redhead is Spider-Man's more iconic red and blue or Hulk's iconic green, then the blonde can be the black and white Spidey outfit or the Hulk's gray. If this was a video game 1P is Teela's red hair, 2P is Teela's blonde hair.

DC's first published issue featured Sir Laser-Lot, Orko might be evil, the Sorceress is dead and He-Man kills humans.
    They clearly don't care about stepping on the fans toes to tell a story.

Teela has been known as both a blonde and a redhead and now those looks are both canon in the story. Considering that she's a blonde who becomes a redhead eventually, this could have been the plan all along.

This comic incorporates things from all over MOTU canon: Pre-Filmation and even the old DC Comics (blonde Teela), Filmation (King Randor, Adora, Shadow Weaver and Eternos Palace, MYP (Dekker and Carnivus) and even the new Classics canon (Spector and Laser Lot). Not just the most famous incarnations of the character.

I'd say it's more the fault of the artists' redesigns if people can't tell the difference between Teela with Blonde hair and She-Ra (who wears a winged tiara). What's going to happen if we have Castaspella and Teela in the same comic, change her back to blonde?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

I mentioned this in the other thread, but it didn't get much play there. What does everyone think about Zoar being referred to as a god, and the big H symbol apparently being the religious symbol for Zoar? I think it's pretty cool. It gives a good explanation for that symbol not just being "H for He-Man".

Quote Originally Posted by Pravus Prime View Post
    That's the problem. They spent all this effort on getting people to know that this is a new comic, but put us in the middle of a story which is going to turn people off very quickly. The point of a #1 is to be an easy jumping on point for a new series.

Expecting us to read 6 other comics from another series to get the reader up to speed on a number one issue is the dumbest thing in comics since the Spiderman Clone saga.

No, I'm not reading 6 other issues to get up to speed, I shouldn't have to in order to understand what's going on in a number one. It's going to cost this comic lots of readers that otherwise would've given it a fair shake.
    More people will buy #1's than #7's. People don't want to spend time and money to catch up or hunt down back issues. So it's better to start from #1.

Marvel and DC have been doing this for years and people back up their marketing with buying habits, despite how much online complaining that they do.

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    I mentioned this in the other thread, but it didn't get much play there. What does everyone think about Zoar being referred to as a god, and the big H symbol apparently being the religious symbol for Zoar? I think it's pretty cool. It gives a good explanation for that symbol not just being "H for He-Man".
    I'm going to have re-read #1 because I don't remember that.
    Last edited by Neaves The Wicked; April 18, 2013 at 10:48pm. Reason: spelling error ugh

Great fun. I loved it! Loved seeing Dekker and Carnivus. And Stratos' fancy duds were pretty sweet.
    1. Please like me: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pop-C...9994401?ref=hl
    2. Please read my fanfiction: USURPERS http://he-man.org/community/view.php...3&UserID=38050
    3. Please go here: www.mlhumble.deviantart.com
    4. Please see my list of 2000+ comics to trade for MOTUC: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ics-and-trades
    5. Thank you

Great Start, that's all I can say.

To elaborate a bit though (heheh) I love seeing this take, love seeing a wider world not confined by our expectations. It's exciting. Love the new designs, if only because it takes me out of a story to see people ONLY wearing their "Uniforms" in a story.

So far, I couldnt be happier. Hope this lasts a long time. Feels like it is a much needed growth in all elements of this property. We need to explore it, and I am glad it is being explored.

Heroic Warrior
    What's going on with Hordak, looks like he is trapped in a glass dome

Also loved seeing Dekker in such an active role, actually the exact same role I have him in my cannon.

Quote Originally Posted by Neaves The Wicked View Post
    I'm going to have re-read #1 because I don't remember that.
    It's the part where Randor is giving Teela Na's eulogy.

This was a good one! Looks like maybe Hordak took advantage of what Skeletor had done on Eternia and did the same on Etheria wiping everyone's memories? They recognize an adult Adora…
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Snappy Threader
    Geez. I subbed for this and it still isn't here. I figured we would get them either a tad early or the day of. Suspense is killing me here.
    Last edited by iron_pride; April 19, 2013 at 03:21pm.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    It's the part where Randor is giving Teela Na's eulogy.
    Thanks! I'll check it out.

Thanks for the reply wolfsfang. What about everyone else?
    I "sub" through my local comic store.... He saves me a copy and variant if I ask for it. I opted not to have a variant cover this time as I prefer the main one over both the other looks. I didn't want to risk a mail - sub as I didn't know how long it would take to get here or the condition it would be in when it finally arrived.

Well just picked up the first issue in my local comic store. I got the regular first issue but would like the alt cover from Matty. If anyone has a spare ? lol
    I do love the fact that MOTU is back in comic form once again!
    It was an interesting first issue but I still dont like the diologue so far and I hate the fact Teela is very disrespectfull about the Sorceress, just doesnt gel with Teelas charcater..as was the dressing in front of everyone. Teela surley has some class..!
    If there going with a harder Teela then we needed some softness to balance out her character before hand.
    Everything looks well drawn but character design is lacking, Loved Eternos palace though.
    Still im in this for the long haul and happy to buy the coming issues!

Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Overall I liked the issue quite a bit. The story was solid and I liked the character portrayals. Despara is just fantastic!

A few points:

• I assume that something is going on with Teela. Having now read the issue it seems like she did not intentionally change her hair color. Plus there has to be some explanation for how she recognizes Adora. My guess is that it is tied with the Sorceress' death and that maybe she is becoming the new Sorceress. Although if Castle Grayskull is just a castle and doesn't hold anything meaningful, why does it need a Sorceress? I do hope that they explain her hatred of the Sorceress though, because it did make Teela look pretty bad to be saying what she said about her at her funeral. Also does Teela even know that she was her mother?
    • Teela's outfit.... sucks. Just give her her classic white leotard outfit. It is a mess.
    • Hordak looks AWFUL. Just terrible. He looks nothing at all like like Hordak, and may as well be a brand new character. I get that artists want to put their own spin on things, but this is just someone having a crush on Giger. Hate it.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    [*]I assume that something is going on with Teela. Having now read the issue it seems like she did not intentionally change her hair color. Plus there has to be some explanation for how she recognizes Adora. My guess is that it is tied with the Sorceress' death and that maybe she is becoming the new Sorceress. Although if Castle Grayskull is just a castle and doesn't hold anything meaningful, why does it need a Sorceress? I do hope that they explain her hatred of the Sorceress though, because it did make Teela look pretty bad to be saying what she said about her at her funeral. Also does Teela even know that she was her mother?
    Nope, Teela is unaware that the Sorceress is her mother. She didn't even know her real name. This Teela probably didn't have the "almost mother/daughter" relationship with the Sorceress that she had in Filmation--maybe more like the opposite. Teela might have simply saw the Sorceress as an ally, but never had any personal dealings with her. Her being disrespectful at her funeral might support that idea.

Thanks. I didn't think that she knew, but the line of "you named me after her?" threw me off a bit.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Master of Gardening MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    Geez. I subbed for this and it still isn't here. I figured we would get tham either a tad early or the day of. Suspense is killing me here.
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I "sub" through my local comic store.... He saves me a copy and variant if I ask for it. I opted not to have a variant cover this time as I prefer the main one over both the other looks. I didn't want to risk a mail - sub as I didn't know how long it would take to get here or the condition it would be in when it finally arrived.
    Thinking I made the wrong decision to sub through Matty as well because I have not received it yet (while there is a thread 3 pages deep with people that have already read it and talking about it).
    CONGRATS to the 7 Lucky Winners of my
    FREE Club Etheria Sub Figure Giveaway!!!

Double Mischief = Minor
    Madame Razz = Uncle Jake
    Entrapta = SorceressSon
    October figure = SunDevil
    November figure = Ealo
    December figure = yodafreakmaster
    Light Hope SUB EXCLUSIVE = McLaughlin2778

Snappy Threader
    Thinking I made the wrong decision to sub through Matty as well because I have not received it yet (while there is a thread 3 pages deep with people that have already read it and talking about it).
    Yeah I don't get it. Not that it's a super huge deal, but there should be some kind of perk (meaning prompt delivery, I'm not expecting or asking for anything more than that at all) for subbing (beisdes the toy cover) I think. I would at least like to get it the day of mass release.

Heroic Warrior
    I have a theory. I know this story is different from the Filmation cartoon story but I supposed the events from all these comics we've been reading happen after the first group of battles between Skeletor and He-Man.

Magic performed, memories erased
    and now they are back to normal. Meanwhile the story of Adora was presented again with lots of different details to establish that Adora exists, Hordak and the Horde too. So, here is my theory:

Tee-la recognized Adora because they already knew her, already knew Adam had a twin sister. I think this Despara is Adora after she became She-Ra. Probably the Great Rebellion was defeated and Adora captured, separated from her sword and brainwashed one more time to serve Hordak

What do you guys think? For me it makes sense.

Do you mean that Adora/Despara is a result of the same magic "forgetting" we saw in the mini series? if that as the case though, the spell was broken when Adam got the sword. So they might have wondered what happened to Adora.

I am trying to recall from the She Ra comic (#8)... did it say that they were on Etheria or in Despondos?