Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legend of Zelda

Legend of Zelda

Anyone miss the original Zelda game mechanics? No useless towns people to talk too..no Magic. Just un reachable areas, dungeons to find, very memorizable maps to traverse....It's the ONLY Zelda game I can replay with no problem at all... all the others are only one and dones....too much useless side quests and too involved in order to make fast progress!
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

I just covered this topic in Consoles War.

I really looking forward to Link to the Past 2. Really excite me.

As for the game mechanic, it just evolved into either simplistic or just too complex. I like how they put a new content into the game because it was huge back then regarding game plays. as I like it I hope people will adopt the new gameplay and hopefully this will last a long last legacy.
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    There were a few Zelda games that I lost total interest in because I'd get so far in the game and not play it for a while and when I came back I had no clue where to go and what to do next.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

www.zeldaclassic.com

www.purezc.com

Zelda 1 clone with more custom quests than you can ever play and more added everyday. Also a program called ZQuest that allows you to make your own Zelda 1, basically. It's all free.

You're welcome.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link for the NES is my favorite Zelda game. I have it for my Gameboy Advance SP and it, along with the original Super Mario Bros. are probably my 2 most played games.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

I did not buy sky quest or whatever it was called. I'm not into the whole stick controller thingie. I just want traditional controls.

Not sure if anything was ever done to appease, but my purchase was lost.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Zelda was vastly benefited by the Wiimote, but Skyward Sword, as great as it was, was repetitive. Nothing tops OoT though, which I played for the first time on the 3DS and absolutely fell in love with it.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Thinking about downloading Legend of Zelda for 3DS if I pick the handheld up. I'm excited about what they may do for "Link 2". (I enjoyed spirit tracks too).
    The original and Ocarina are my favorite Zelda games.
    I would be ecstatic if they will recreate Link 2 in an Ocarina 3D world!

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    A Link to the Past for SNES is still my all-time favorite Zelda game and all-around favorite video game. I am beyond excited about the announcement of a sequel to that game coming for the 3DS. The top-down Zelda games are my favorite style for sure, and nothing beats A Link to the Past in my book.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    There were a few Zelda games that I lost total interest in because I'd get so far in the game and not play it for a while and when I came back I had no clue where to go and what to do next.
    This is my biggest problem with exploring games. anyone who tells you they don't need to read a guide to play zelda is telling a lie. and that takes the fun out of it. you read where to go, and when you go, it takes the surprise out ofthe story.
    Geek Media -

Those gameplay mechanics are still incorporated into modern Zelda games (Skyward Sword is a masterpiece IMO) but it is a lot of fun to still play more streamlined Zelda games. I am so pumped about the announced Link to the Past sequel. The ways they are incorporating 3D in that type of game (such as the bones of baddies flying up towards the screen when you slash them with your sword) looks really cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    This is my biggest problem with exploring games. anyone who tells you they don't need to read a guide to play zelda is telling a lie. and that takes the fun out of it. you read where to go, and when you go, it takes the surprise out ofthe story.
    That's definitely true if you're playing those types of games for the first few times but if you've been playing them for awhile you don't need a guide unless you want to collect everything.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    That's not completely true. I've played plenty of Zelda games without using a guide.

But I know the experience GeologyMule is speaking of. I've had that with a few games, where I stop playing for a while and have no idea where I left off when coming back. I hate that.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Yeah I can usually beat a Zelda game without a guide, but a guide helps if you want to go for 100% completion.

If I recall, I think Ocarina of Time helped guide you where you needed to go if you hadn't played in a while. I think the fairy gave you hints. Others, like Spirit Tracks I had to start over halfway through after I took a break.

Speaking of OOT, I got in on the 3ds when it first came out and got sidetracked and quit playing when I was inside the big fish. I need to get back to it. I really wish they would release Link to the Past on 3DS.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

While I could go either way, I am stuck in Minish Cap and even a guide is not helping me. So much so that I haven't touched it in about 4 months. I completed the fire dungeon, but now I have no idea how to get to the next dungeon as every place I go to is either blocked off or a dead end.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

I am glad the are giving a sequel to my favorite, don't like it's going on the 3ds wish it was playable on the Wii also. I haven't really played one since Majora's mask. I want to get Skyward sword though, but I do prefer the more top down style games. Link to The Past is also one of my favorite games of all time, one of the few games I have played through (of that length) multiple times, Final Fantasy IV and VI being the only other two that come to mind.

As far as guides I tend to use multiple saves and will play for awhile doing my own thing, then will check a guide and decide if what I missed is really worth going back for if I need to undo saved progress or not. I have become less compulsive about full completions though Final Fantasy X lightning dance and chocobo racing did that.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I do most of my gaming on the PC, and I usually get a console game play it some then get bored with it. I played some of Skyward sword and I really liked it. Just got sidetracked. I really never was a fan of the Wii, so that sort of hurt it. Mostly the graphics. I wouldn't mind playing it on the WiiU

So far my favorite thing on the WiiU is the Nintendoland where you play as Link and aim and shoot with your gamepad.

The Gameboy Zelda was the last one I truly loved (although I liked Windwaker). Unlike everyone I've ever met, the N64 Zelda games are my least favorite. Ocarina just feels slow, sluggish, ugly, and structure-wise a direct clone of the SNES game.

I don't see any way for Ocarina to be a clone of ALttP.

My absolute favorite game of all time is The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. Cannot wait to play it again on the Wii U.

I have played and completed every LoZ game except for Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link and I've used a guide every single time. I cannot fathom how people get through these games without a guide. The Water Temple alone would have kept me busy for weeks. Which may be the point, but I don't have the time to dedicate to something like that. 20 hours into Skyward Sword, I thought it was one of the best Zeldas yet, but by hour 46 I just wanted the game to end. I still shudder at all of the repetiveness. And don't get me started on collecting musical notes...

Quote Originally Posted by hopewell View Post
    My absolute favorite game of all time is The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. Cannot wait to play it again on the Wii U.

I have played and completed every LoZ game except for Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link and I've used a guide every single time. I cannot fathom how people get through these games without a guide. The Water Temple alone would have kept me busy for weeks. Which may be the point, but I don't have the time to dedicate to something like that. 20 hours into Skyward Sword, I thought it was one of the best Zeldas yet, but by hour 46 I just wanted the game to end. I still shudder at all of the repetiveness. And don't get me started on collecting musical notes...
    46 hours? It took me three years to beat the last one..and i didn't go for 100%..ugh. that's too long. i don't have the patience anymore to beat a game that is basically the same thing only slightly altered.
    Geek Media -

Unedited Director's Cut Captain Wow's Avatar
    My favorites have always been the first two for the NES. So much so that I bought the GameCube just so I could get the 4-game promo disc because the battery packs just don't work anymore in those gold cartridges.
    "You see, I've got this real moron thing I do...it's called 'thinking'...and I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin

Heroic Warrior
    My favorites were the original and Link to the Past.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wow View Post
    My favorites have always been the first two for the NES. So much so that I bought the GameCube just so I could get the 4-game promo disc because the battery packs just don't work anymore in those gold cartridges.
    Those batteries can actually be replaced pretty easy. They use a standard CR2032 battery though some people have crammed 2 lithium AAs into their carts which offers much longer battery life.

Unedited Director's Cut Captain Wow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    Those batteries can actually be replaced pretty easy. They use a standard CR2032 battery though some people have crammed 2 lithium AAs into their carts which offers much longer battery life.
    Well, that and the fact that I can only get my NES to work about 25% of the time anymore, if that. And even then, halfway into a game, it'll suddenly give out on me without warning. I'm not much of a gamer so I don't know how well memory cards hold up over the years but so far, so good.
    "You see, I've got this real moron thing I do...it's called 'thinking'...and I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I don't see any way for Ocarina to be a clone of ALttP.
    Structure-wise. Collect three things from three dungeons, get the master sword, then alternate back and forth between a happy world and a crappy world to collect eight more things from eight more dungeons. I realize it's a moot point now since most of the games have decided to follow this, but when Ocarina was released it really annoyed me that they couldn't do anything more original. LttP was similar to the original with a twist, Ocarina did nothing to improve on that formula.