View Poll Results: Would you like 2015 to be sub only?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yess!

53 46.49%
  • No way I'm a cherry picker!

37 32.46%
  • 50% with DoS and 50% sub exclusives

24 21.05%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Sub only - yes or no?

2015 Sub only - yes or no?

Would you like 2015 to be sub only? State your reasons below.
    I would like a 50-50 model
    Last edited by Zodac666; August 21, 2013 at 06:05pm.

I'm not a picker, but I vote no.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    It's sad, but I think it's the only to ensure the survival of the line, ironically.

It would be nice if they could figure out someway to give subbers the option to order how many of each figure (minimum 1 for each sub).

So if you had 2 subs, you could say only one Hydron for each sub (2 total), but you want an army of Horde Troopers so 10 each (20 total), and you want so many options with Modulok so you get 1 extra on your sub orders (3 total).

I don't know if that's logistically possible (doubt it), but that'd be ideal, IMHO.
    The power of Grayskull compels you!

My daughter's Hebrew name is Shira.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    ^Same here.

I'm being totally honest when I say in 2015 I won't be subbing. The only thing to make me consider otherwise would be if it's sub only. The fact is there will be very little left I'll need, so cherry picking will be easier for me and the odd figure I want that don't get DOS, I'd be happy to pay $50 for. I can't speak for everyone, but I bet there are others that feel exactly the same.

That said, I voted sub only for 2015 as I believe it will help convince folks to take the gamble on buying blind, with very little highly fan demanded figures left.
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Peekablue, 5/Hunga the Harpy, 4/Sssqueeze, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

No. I am affraid of the price increase to be honest.
    What the heck, I am just another rebel!

O'hartley

Yup. For survival. If I want extras of someone, though, it's be nice to be able to preorder more. Of course, there's always the second market...
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Yeah, same here. Regardless, I've subbed for 2014 and now plan to for 2015 just as soon as the window opens.
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Undecided.

Whatever it takes to keep MOTUC going, I'm in.

With that said, there are pluses and minuses to each of these options....
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Not a cherry picker and i vote No to this.

There should be more options. I have a sub and I don't like the sub only model. So I vote No.

SUB TILL THE END!!! for me ..
    "I DENY YOU THE NIDUS!!"

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by guy-dude View Post
    It would be nice if they could figure out someway to give subbers the option to order how many of each figure (minimum 1 for each sub).

So if you had 2 subs, you could say only one Hydron for each sub (2 total), but you want an army of Horde Troopers so 10 each (20 total), and you want so many options with Modulok so you get 1 extra on your sub orders (3 total).

I don't know if that's logistically possible (doubt it), but that'd be ideal, IMHO.
    It's not logistically possible (we're talking DR here), and it wouldn't make any business sense either. If subbers were allowed to easily cherrypick which ones to get multiples of (at sub prices, with combined shipping and without the DoS hassle), why would anyone (including big resellers like BBTS who've been buying in the order of 150-200 subs) ever buy more than just 1 sub and thus force themselves to buy multiples of every sub character (including the unresellable "duds")? Had they done that with the 2013 sub, BBTS would have bought just 1 single sub, thus buying just 1 Fighting Foe Men set, and then they would have ordered 500 additional Ram Mans. But since that would mean just 1 sub sold per customer, the number of subs sold would have dropped dramatically, thereby missing the minimum and spelling the end for the sub and line. So, had they done that, there wouldn't have been any 2013 line to start with.

It wouldn't work even if they limited the number of additionals to, say, 1 or 2 maximum per sub, since that would still mean a dramatic decrease in the number of subs sold (halving it, thirding it, or worse). The sub barely made it this year (115% of the minimum for 2014, compared to 135% for 2013, and well over 200% for 2012), so any further decrease for 2015 would put it at a serious risk.
    Last edited by uaxuctum; August 22, 2013 at 10:17am.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

I'll sub regardless. If we did go sub only I do wonder if it'd help the numbers at all. Sure a bunch of cherry pickers will just grab guys off of resellers, but wouldn't that force resellers to sub more? Not sure.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    It's not logistically possible (we're talking DR here), and it wouldn't make any business sense either. If subbers were allowed to easily cherrypick which ones to get multiples of (at sub prices, with combined shipping and without the DoS hassle), why would anyone (including big resellers like BBTS who've been buying in the order of 150-200 subs) ever buy more than just 1 sub and thus force themselves to buy multiples of every sub character (including the unresellable "duds")? Had they done that with the 2013 sub, BBTS would have bought just 1 single sub, thus buying just 1 Fighting Foe Men set, and then they would have ordered 500 additional Ram Mans. But since that would mean just 1 sub sold per customer, the number of subs sold would have dropped dramatically, thereby missing the minimum and spelling the end for the sub and line. So, had they done that, there wouldn't have been any 2013 line to start with.

It wouldn't work even if they limited the number of additionals to, say, 1 or 2 maximum per sub, since that would still mean a dramatic decrease in the number of subs sold (halving it, thirding it, or worse). The sub barely made it this year (115% of the minimum for 2014, compared to 135% for 2013, and well over 200% for 2012), so any further decrease for 2015 would put it at a serious risk.
    But I'm under the impression, and I could be wrong, that it's what the earned total is over the whole year, not each figure. So if BBTS subbed only once (which wouldn't work if the same system was still used which goes up to only 99, but we'll use your model for this example) and only bought one FFM and 500 Ram Mans, that averages to over 140 subs, and I don't know how many they usually buy, but that seems like a decent amount. Throw in all the other figures and it would probably average out to about 200-250 subs or so.

I completely understand what you're saying, and I believe you're right, especially since we can't know what's coming out in advance, but I think removing DOS eliminates cherry pickers and would persuade more people to sub since that would be their only way to get the figures.

Again, I'm not saying this is how I think it should've been handled from the beginning, or that it's how it should be handled ideally, but with the drop in subs and so many people saying they're done after X, I feel that this would be kind of the best of both worlds. Cherry pickers could team up with subbers and get the figures they wanted, and it would allow those who want a few more of specific figures to get them, and it would give the subbers that added benefit of being a subber.
    The power of Grayskull compels you!

My daughter's Hebrew name is Shira.

I'm a cherry picker of necessity, but they should do whatever they need to to make sure 2015 goes through. I won't pretend to know what strategy is best.

I don't think there is anything after 2014 that I personally will really want, but who knows.
    Last edited by Lich Leech; August 22, 2013 at 03:49pm.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    I'm not a cherry picker, but I voted no. I'd like to have the option of buying multiples of the figures I want without them being absurdly expensive on the secondary market.

Now if it meant the difference between the line happening or not, then it's obviously a completely different story. I just voted my personal preference. I guess if you plan on doing much selling, you'd probably want the opposite.

Heroic Warrior
    I voted no but I don't pick cherries.

I didnt vote. I do subscribe every year but I dont think it should be subscription only. I think some figures should be though.

Keyboard Warrior The Blue Beetle's Avatar
    I voted "no", but not because I'm a cherry picker (although I have been in the past). I believe it's possible to have the best of both worlds without hurting the possibility of the 2015 sub going through.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I'd vote for a "I Don't Care" option...but there isn't one.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

yes. It's already sub only effectively. I mean cherry pickers can just buy them second hand from like Big Bad Toystore, on He-Man.org's marketplace, or Ebay already, so what's the difference just making that the case? Isnt it already?

At this point, it just makes sense to make it official. If you dont want to pay 500 dollars for 12 (or whatever) figures, just pay like 50 a peice (or whatever) for the 4 you do want. Or even 80. You only want 3 characters? fine, pay 70 bucks each, and make a savings at 210.

Cant get first price and cherry pick. seems fair to me.

eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    I'm a subber (because I want to support the line) and a cherry picker and I say "No!"
    I subscribed for the first time this year because I can afford it but there are a lot of people that can't afford it! We have to think about 'em!
    Emotional blackmails like Shadow Weaver, Fang Man, Clamp Champ and Two Bad aren't fair as far as I am concerned!
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Round 2, vote for
    Tuvar, Baddrah, Crita, Granita, Gray, Colonel Blast and the Snake Goddess

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    I'm being totally honest when I say in 2015 I won't be subbing. The only thing to make me consider otherwise would be if it's sub only. The fact is there will be very little left I'll need, so cherry picking will be easier for me and the odd figure I want that don't get DOS, I'd be happy to pay $50 for. I can't speak for everyone, but I bet there are others that feel exactly the same.

That said, I voted sub only for 2015 as I believe it will help convince folks to take the gamble on buying blind, with very little highly fan demanded figures left.
    i understand what you're saying, but imagine if everyone thought like this, then there would be no line to cherry pick from. The fact of the matter is that it's subscribers that get the line greenlit, not cherry pickers.
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

I'm not a cherry-picker, but I vote "no." The first sub-only year will be the final year of the line.