Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Fighting Foe Men Video Review by Pixel Dan

Enjoyed the review! Figures look great, dont understand all the hate they receive(d). I know the set is pricey, but if you look at all the stuff it includes I think the price is well justified. Love the Roton driver! The names are terrible though
    Justice, Truth, Honor and Loyalty!

Visit my website for handmade Scenery, Statues & More! CUSTOMSCENERY.NL

Awesome set. These figures are exactly why I started collecting MOTU Classics in the first place. Now if they will please get to Sky High! This is just as cool as finally getting He-ro, Shadow Weaver or Batros! So happy.

Great review Dan.
    These guys are looking really good though I would have preferred the Attack Trak pilot to be male. I really think most the negativity about these guys is because they've come in an expensive three pack, If they had been single releases over the next few years I think they would have been received much better by fans. I agree a three pack was the best way to do the Star Sisters but not with these guys IMO.
    Now I'm really hoping we can get Sky High to go with these guys, he'd make a great travelling con exclusive for 2014

While the figures look good I don't think the bio suits them nor will I be using the Horde badges. For me these guys will not be the the Fighting Foe men but one Evil Warrior and two Heroic Warriors just like the vintage box art indicated by which vehicle they were piloting. I also think the POG sticker should have come loose in the box so you could stick it on if you wanted to go with the bio story and leave it off if you wanted them under the vintage/unstickered faction.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Really not liking this set.

It's only recently that my interest in the FFM has increased. Saw the three a while back and didn't really give a second thought about them but now my thoughts have definitely changed. Looking forward to them (and Karatti).
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

overall, i don't mind the set. I don't understand how they were made to be evil with 2 of the 3 being 'drivers' of heroic vehicles. I'll be displaying them as horde for sure. not really liking the vehicle chest plates very much. Also, the attak trak shield looks ridiculous to me. The names are ridiculous as well, but I think we've seen worse, and the cheesiness is one of the thing I love about MOTU. But that shield.... ugh.

This set seems very forced though. Just when I'm starting to think they'll start focusing on the core of MOTU, and the characters we have yet to see in figure form, we get this. A set based off of box art, and I am sure there had been no requests for this set at all before the announcement of them existing. But, overall its not the worst they've done. The reviews definitely make them look better than once thought. I think this will be lingering in the matty store for a while though.

As a kid who stared at the model kit packages at my local hobby shop for hours on end pondering the drivers, I'm even more excited to get these guys.

Their looks perfectly mirror the aesthetic of the three vehicles they represent...sword and sorcery + future technology which is at the heart of MOTU.

As others have said, I too will be ignoring the bio and names. (I usually do anyway.) These guys will never be Horde for me. Instead, they will have ties to the ancient scientists who built the vehicles and be more of a neutral weapons supplier faction who reluctantly, or maybe not so reluctantly in the case of the Roton driver, supply the Evil and Heroic Warriors.

The only thing I would have done differently on these figures is to make them able to be displayed without any chest sigil so they could appear exactly as they did in the package illustrations.

Thanks for the review, Dan!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

These guys just get cooler every time I see them!

Shield Maiden looks like she could go evil or hero, but Talon Fighter Guy really does look like a hero. It's cool how much creativity and imagination that fans can put in this set. I really want two sets for customs.

Great review. Looking forward to my "elite guard/ right hand Gar"

I LOVE THEM!!!

As much as I may have an issue with the pack out; I can understand the logic behind it, but truly believe this has led to the negative reaction for these pretty awesome figures!

Though a few things I am 'eh' about but they do not hurt the overall coolness and potential these characters.

Names: As much as I like they pay tribute to their staff, maybe those names should've been their real names on the bios? (I'll elaborate on this more when i combine my bio critique with this).

Bios: As I originally thought that these characters were part of Demo-Man's group, I see they are not but yet still from Preternia and possibly Horde members? But my comment on why they don;t fit will be in their design comment...

Design: THEY ROCK! Although the one that I have problems with is Ditztroyer and the Roton emblem; I think it stands out too much. Sherr' and Dawg's 'blend in' perfectly into the outfits and color scheme where his don't; but I do like the horde emblem does correct this. Well I think as much as it sounds cool, I don't think they actually fit in the Horde as their color schemes are too bright for the Horde. As Dan captured that shot of them with the Horde you can see they stand out too bright compared to the Horde roster. If the colors were toned down, I feel they definitely would've worked.

Overall the major issue with these are of course the timeline of their existence. According to the bio, these guys actually constructed the vehicles we have all come to know and love, but in Preternia??? Nah not viable as the vehicles are of 80's MOTU canon. If you wanted to match or place them in Preternia, use Preternia vehicles. And yes I am well aware of their origins as the model pilots (and maybe the Talon Fighter could pass for a Pretenian vehicle), but then create a bio suitable and 'in time' for them. The names, as with all respect are a form of tribute IMO should actually be their real names, which is just as much as a tribute. I actually like Count Judas reworking of the names and some of his concept and it has led me to the idea that these three are their own unit, good or bad... you can decide.

But to fix certain personal issues I have how about this...

These 3 come from Preternia under their current names and then were frozen in ice or if you feel the Talon Fighter came from era, could have possibly time traveled (bear with me) to current Eternia and THEN adopted the vehicle characteristics and changed their names to ones like Count Judas suggested. If not take it as step further; let's say the time traveled to the far off future of He-Ro and became warriors for either Dare or Skeleteen sides.

Other than that I good with the Eternian Three!!!
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

This is why I will probably subscribe until the line ends. At first, I was a vintage only guy. However, over time I have grown more open-minded to concepts like the FFM.

I think these are fantastic. They are concept in a way, yet true to the line's roots in another. I will not display the blue dude with the roton emblem and will keep the other 2 as heroic warriors as others have suggested.

Let's make 2014 happen! Yodafreakmaster- help us bring it home brother!

Great review Dan. The FFM do look great.

Even if you aren't a fan of the characters, they're great for parts. I've already come up with several different ideas for my extra set.

I only have a few complaints with them. I wish they had un-helmeted heads. I really can't stand the visors on the heads. Second, it's a shame that the peg-holes are so large on their chests/cape. It would have been nice to be able to display them without the chest emblems. I personally think they look better without any emblems.

Heroic Warrior
    Not the most popular thing I will ever say but: I really can't listen to Pixel Dan's voice or more so his inflection/enunciation...the way he reads his script, and the pauses drive me mad
    BUT
    His intro for Classics is epic (meant in the literal sense and the slang sense there) and I really do like his enthusiasm - especially as there seems to be a lot of negativity around here towards the Fighting Foe Men (some justified indeed), it kind of makes these reviews seem more like adverts but it's really great to see, hear, whatever.
    I'm totally looking forward to the Fighting Foe Men, they're what I've now decided to call 'essential obscurities' and are going to make my first package from Matty as a subscriber worth the wait (Karatti does nothing for me, poor guy, ebay can have him I think unless he comes with a working replica of that Axe Gun of his - I could do with one of those).

EDIT - in case Pixel Dan is really offended by my comment - I can't stand my voice either, it sounds unintelligent all the time when recorded, I'm not saying you have a bad voice, just one I don't find pleasurable to listen to - consider it like...curry maybe? I may not like your curry but it doesn't mean it's bad curry.

At this point, I'm really over these concept like characters. In the beginning it was exciting and cool to add a few in the mix, but now it is kind of boring. Something about these just seems generic to me. I do like their weapons and I'm glad that they included a female. I hope this is the last time we see concept like characters I'm dying to get some more Na,Pop, and Filmation in my collection. How much cooler would this set have been if it were 3 Galactic Guardians instead, or 3 Filmation characters.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    At this point, I'm really over these concept like characters. In the beginning it was exciting and cool to add a few in the mix, but now it is kind of boring. Something about these just seems generic to me. I do like their weapons and I'm glad that they included a female. I hope this is the last time we see concept like characters I'm dying to get some more Na,Pop, and Filmation in my collection. How much cooler would this set have been if it were 3 Galactic Guardians instead, or 3 Filmation characters.
    Yeah and then you'll get the anti-POP or anti-NA crowds saying the same thing 'how much cooler would this set have been if it were 3 200X characters instead, or 3 Mini Comic characters
    Personally I don't think this should be the end of concept characters period, they add a nice variety but I do think it should be the end of giving the big ticket items to pretty much anything beyond the vintage MOTU figure line for the foreseeable future. It's the best way to cut down on complaining and be seen to be focusing more on that area of the franchise that I've been able to work out so far and Matty and Toyguru could do with some of both of those things.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    At this point, I'm really over these concept like characters. In the beginning it was exciting and cool to add a few in the mix, but now it is kind of boring. Something about these just seems generic to me.
    I feel the same way. I like the colors on the Fighting Foe Men and how well the Four Horsemen captured their likeness from the box art, but they are lacking overall. It's neat to have the long lost vehicle drivers, but they lack the imagination of Masters of the Universe.

The re-used parts, we've seen time and time again, have grown old. But that's MOTU's trademark, I guess, and perhaps the reason the later years of the vintage line changed it up a bit.

The major thing is, a lot of these new characters don't have gimmicks or good MOTU names to go with their gimmicks. The Fighting Foe Men are bland because they don't really have much of a speciality. And they don't have ridiculously goofy MOTU type names. A line of just Teelas and King Randors would get real boring after awhile, and I think that's where we're at, at least in terms of new characters in MOTUC. If MOTU is to grow, they need to go back to the same creative mentality during the original line. What would have sold as a MOTU figure back then? Mattel has missed the mark consistently since the vintage line's demise. Since Mattel seems to be missing their secret formula for making good new MOTUC concepts, I'm guessing that those great concepts lie within the Four Horsemen and several of the CAC entries we haven't seen yet.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I feel the same way. I like the colors on the Fighting Foe Men and how well the Four Horsemen captured their likeness from the box art, but they are lacking overall. It's neat to have the long lost vehicle drivers, but they lack the imagination of Masters of the Universe.

The re-used parts, we've seen time and time again, have grown old. But that's MOTU's trademark, I guess, and perhaps the reason the later years of the vintage line changed it up a bit.

The major thing is, a lot of these new characters don't have gimmicks or good MOTU names to go with their gimmicks. The Fighting Foe Men are bland because they don't really have much of a speciality. And they don't have ridiculously goofy MOTU type names. A line of just Teelas and King Randors would get real boring after awhile, and I think that's where we're at, at least in terms of new characters in MOTUC. If MOTU is to grow, they need to go back to the same creative mentality during the original line. What would have sold as a MOTU figure back then? Mattel has missed the mark consistently since the vintage line's demise. Since Mattel seems to be missing their secret formula for making good new MOTUC concepts, I'm guessing that those great concepts lie within the Four Horsemen and several of the CAC entries we haven't seen yet.
    I like these figures alot... But I agree with the gimmick comment. I really feel all new character figures should have, at least in concept - not necessarily in sculpt, a 'gimmick' or 'action feature' infused into the feel of the final product. Rather than just being drivers perhaps they should have had each have some 'action feature' as if they were sold in the 80's. The Roton pilot could have a spinning (but not spinning in motuc) blade on his arm or waist, the talon fighter pilot could have come with the little hawk ala silverhawks, and who knows what the attack trak driver could have had - perhaps some device/weapon that had some (somehow) usable track on it (kind of like they did - but more fleshed out).

If you can imagine an 80's package with a gimmick or action feature selling point you might see this:

Vikor - w/ real metal chain!
    Demo Man - Glow in the Dark!
    Cy-Chop - w/ working scissor hand and see through chest!
    Draego Man - w/ light up flames and wings!
    Castle Greyskullman - the gimmick is the concept whick works
    Chief Carnivus - w/ spring action claw! - or even real fur/hair
    Sir Laser Lot - w/ Light up chest! - or laser pointer feature out of chest
    Vyron and Captain Glenn - gimmicks speaks for themselves.

Then you have others where an 80's action feature isn't necessarily clear:

Horde Prime (I guess the secret head could be the gimmick)
    Faceless One (maybe a hologram for a face?)
    Count Marzo
    Dekker
    Mighty Spector

Unless the Fighting Foe Men's gimmick was simply to be sold with the vehicles (like the old toyline Visionaries) there is no implied 80's gimmick here which I think is what is bothering most people.
    Last edited by AuraBoyX; April 21, 2013 at 08:04pm.

according to Toyguru, spector was thought of as having a Kenner Lightsaber-esque action feature.

I think that Marzo's action feature would have been a light up left hand so his Magic stone would glow (think LL Skeletor or LP He-Man)
    Dekker would have had a spring-loaded articulation or something.
    Horde Prime has detachable hands to swap with other weapons on his MOTUC figure. His vintage figure could have been similar. Perhaps his crossbow would have had a spring-loaded missile.

But yes, I agree. Figures SHOULD have some sort of association to a gimmick that they'd probably had if they had been 80s toys.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Great review Dan.
    These guys are looking really good though I would have preferred the Attack Trak pilot to be male.
    I agree. I think this set would be more attractive for me, if all 3 would be dudes. Okay, then the 4HM concept wouldn`t make any sense. But it would affect my motivation for buying this particular set.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    So, excited for the ffm!
    the gar is going to be a preternia bad guy on my self & the other two will be good guys either with the preternia or soh cast.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Lizard-Man, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Nocturna, Masks of Power Demons, Horde Wraiths, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Snake Armor He-Man

Heroic Warrior
    Great review.

I'm liking this set more and more. It's cool how the chest emblems are interchangeable among the figures. I'll be using the Attak Trak emblem for all characters.

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    Quote Originally Posted by Grouchor View Post
    This is why I will probably subscribe until the line ends. At first, I was a vintage only guy. However, over time I have grown more open-minded to concepts like the FFM.

I think these are fantastic. They are concept in a way, yet true to the line's roots in another. I will not display the blue dude with the roton emblem and will keep the other 2 as heroic warriors as others have suggested.

Let's make 2014 happen! Yodafreakmaster- help us bring it home brother!
    I will do my part

This set looks REALLY cool in my opinion. I never had the model kits, BUT these fiures and all of their cool accessories really make these better than any of the concept characters that we have got to date in the line!!

- - - Updated - - -

Pixel Dan - I forgot to ask. I need to special order shipping boxes for this set (as cool as they are, I dont need 33 sets of them). Can you please confirm whether or not they are the same mailer box size as the Star Sisters??

Better yet - If you could shoot me the dimensions of the mailer box (so that I dont have to hunt through my MOTU closet for the SS's to measure them), that would be wonderful!!!!! Thanks fellow Mosquitor enthusiast!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I was going to use these guys as generic Horde members that get killed off early when the Horde invades Eternia. However after seeing with the rest of the Horde they really just don't fit.

But since I am liking them 100X more after watching the review, they are going to become part of Sea Hawks crew, the best darn pirates Etheria has ever seen.

I am glad these toys were made and if only we get the wind raider pilot sometime down the line.
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    Is anyone gonna get 2 of them, & display them for both the Horde, & normal insignia's?
    Does Galactus fart?