View Poll Results: What do you want if a new MOTU series were to air?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • King Gray Skull story line

    3 11.11%
  • Just give me Prince Adam and Skeletor

    8 29.63%
  • Far future, a new heir picks up the power sword

    3 11.11%
  • Prince Adam/ He-man with more King Gray Skull Flashbacks

    6 22.22%
  • King Grayskull time traveled and fights along side of he-man

    0 0%
  • Other

    7 25.93%
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: A Grayskull cartoon rather than another He-man cartoon

  1. #1
    200X iceman51880's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    central NJ
    Posts
    984

    A Grayskull cartoon rather than another He-man cartoon

    Am I the only one who wouldn't mind seeding a series based on King Gray Skull? We've already had 3 he-man shows, a change might be a good thing... or at least more flashbacks if we ever get another MOTU series.

  2. #2
    This-Guy crashdiary27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Elgin, IL
    Posts
    592
    I wouldn't mind a King Grayskull show at all! Although if a new cartoon were to air...he would most likely be done with flashbacks if he was to make a appearance.

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior InThe80s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    193
    I would like to see a slightly older He-Man with a young child son kind of like how we as fans have aged and now have kids of our own. There was some concept art a while back were they planned in the 80s for He-Man to have an adopted son named He-Ro. It would be awesome if they made that into a cartoon. Maybe it can be kick starter for animators to make it.




    Series: He-Ro the Son of He-Man.

     

    Episode #1: Dare

    - 20 years after the Filmation series left off King Randor is old and Gray. He is looking to pass off the Crown to Prince Adam but Adam still has his own problems.
    - Adam is still running off with the power sword to transform into He-Man and fight Skeletor. He is ready to be king but he can't just yet as long as Skeletor is out there He-Man is needed. A king would not be able to just run off. Adam is split more than ever needing to be 2 places at once.
    (Skeletor attacks in the first episode and Adam almost blows his cover. **Teela already knows at this point)
    - Prince Adam was thinking about the future when he adopted a son named "Dare" who is only 13 or 14.
    (Dare is introduced)
    - [flashback] "Dare" was raised in a primitive barbarian village. The village shaman elder had a vision that "Dare" would be a great warrior. He is their chosen one. Barely even a teenager yet "Dare" was declared a man and is sent into the world to answer the prophesy.
    (homage to the original mini comic where He-Man started off as a barbarian)
    - Dare is very confused and lost when he is captured by Skeletor. Sorceress informs Adam telpathically of Dare and his future so Adam transforms into He-Man to save him.
    - Adam adopts "Dare" but he doesn't know that Prince Adam is He-Man yet so he is a bit confused. (end first episode)

    Episode #2: A Hero appears.

    - A few months have past and Dare is having trouble fitting in as an adopted prince. He still acts like a barbarian walking around the palace without a shirt on which offends unnamed extras in the Palace. Adam and Orko are trying to teach him manners as a prince but he resists them. Meanwhile Adam is under pressure himself to become king.
    - Brief flashback of Prince Adam when he was younger trying to learn to be a prince for the first time.
    - Dare is having more trouble fitting in than Adam did. Price Adam was at least raised in the palace since he was a baby while "Dare" was raised as a barbarian.
    http://old.he-man.org/cartoon/exclus...iblepage11.jpg
    - Adam is just starting to connect with Dare when Skeletor attacks the palace again.
    - Dare and Orko are told to find Teela and Man-at-arms while Adam runs to check on his father King Randor.
    - When Dare and Orko out of sight Prince Adam draws his sword to transform into He-Man but is attacked by Beastman. Adam is subdued by Beastman and he drops his sword.
    - Beastman takes Adam to the throne room where he witnesses Skeletor open a portal and banishes King Randor to another to another planet far from Eternia.
    - While that is happening Dare and Orko breifly argue or whether to find Teela or go to the Throne room. Dare stubornly makes up his mind and goes to the throne while Orko follows. On the way they find Prince Adam's sword. As soon as Dare picks it up the sorceress contacts him tells him of his destiny.
    - Dare raises the sword over his head and yells out "By the power of Grayskull..." and becomes He-Ro for the first time.
    - Skeletor is about to push Prince Adam through the banishing portal when He-Ro steps in. He-Ro quickly chases off a very shocked Skeletor.
    - A first Price Adam is shocked to see He-Ro but then he remembers what the sorceress told the day he saved Dare in the first episode. Dare is He-Ro the new champion of Eternia.
    - Adam plays dumb and doesn't confront Dare when they meet up later.
    - Dare goes to give Prince Adam back his sword but Adam tells him to keep it. It is Dare's sword now.
    (end 2nd episode)

    Episode #3: All Hail King Adam

    - A few days later Man-at-arms traces where King Randor was teleported off to which turns out to be Earth.
    - Queen Marlena voes to go back to Earth and find Randor. After a brief flashback of her coming to Eternia from Earth she gets in the spaceship the rainbow warrior and leaves. (won't return for months)
    - The next Day Prince Adam is offically crowned King Adam and Dare becomes the new Prince
    - Back in Snake mountain Skeletor watches Adam being crowned king through his crystal ball. He wonders about about who this new He-Ro is and what happened to He-Man.
    - Skeletor voes to test King Adam as a leader and to draw out both He-Man and He-Ro. Skeletor hastily puts together a plan and attacks.
    - Dare once again draws forth his sword and becomes He-Ro.
    - Skeletor having recovered from the shock of seeing a mini He-Man is ready to fight He-Ro this time.
    - Turns out He-Ro is not that great of warrior after all. He can't control his powers of great strength like He-Man can and is almost more dangerous to himself than Skeletor.
    - Skeletor nearly defeats He-Ro if not for the help of Teela and Kay-la (Teela's neice)
    - King Adam encourages He-Ro that he did well but he will need to train hard if he is stay ahead of Skeletor's plans in the future.
    (end 3rd episode)

    Episode #4: Dreams of our fathers

    - The next night Prince Dare has a dream and meets king Grayskull.
    - King Grayskull informs Dare that the power of the sword was originally King Grayskull's in a long forgotten age. He tells Dare that this power is not a toy and must be wielded wisely with courage and skill.
    - King Grayskull offers to train Dare at night in his dreams so that he may become a mighty warrior that he was meant to be.
    - Back in the Palace Skeletor is once again attacking emboldened by his near victory over He-Ro the previous day.
    - Orko tries to wake Dare but he is in too deep a trance like sleep and can't be roused.
    - Orko in a panic takes the power sword from Dare's room and goes to find King Adam.
    - After receiving the power sword from Orko King Adam transforms into He-Man and defeats Skeletor after a quick battle.
    - He-Man transforms back into King Adam and goes to try to wake up Dare. He puts the power sword in Dare's hand and he wakes up.
    - Dare tells King Adam about his dream and the episode ends.
    (end 4th episode)


    The next several episodes focus on Dare training with King Grayskull in his dreams
    - King Adam also dreams about King Grayskull and they discuss his son dare and what the future holds
    - Dare's relationship with Kay-la is further explored when he is awake
    - He-Ro's skills as a Warrior improve but Dare's tact as a civilized prince remain lacking
    - King Adam is also challenged with his leadership skills as a king and also seeks out King Grayskull's council.

    Future episodes beyond that focus on He-Ro maturing into a true champion
    - He-Ro tames a Lion to be his new battle mount
    - Eventually Randor and Marlena return from Earth and bring the series some closure



    TLDR; Prince Adam becomes king and adopts a Son Dare / He-Ro. King Grayskull visits both Adam and Dare in their dreams to train them in their new roles.
    Last edited by InThe80s; November 30, 2014 at 10:35am.

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    1,167
    Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    I would like to see a slightly older He-Man with a young child son kind of like how we as fans have aged and now have kids of our own. There was some concept art a while back were they planned in the 80s for He-Man to have an adopted son named He-Ro. It would be awesome if they made that into a cartoon. Maybe it can be kick starter for animators to make it.




    Series: He-Ro the Son of He-Man.

    He-Man as a character is almost forgotten by the majority of people and suddenly they will get interested about the Son of Who? There was a reason that this terrible idea never happened back in the 80's. Never in the history of the fictional characters, children was a successful idea. And he is not even his own son. The title has nothing to do with the Son of He-Man, is just a lie. Adopted really? I mean what happen, the Eternians cannot reproduce themeselves and they have to steal the kids from other people. The events of the series are happening about 20 years in the future and Adam is still single? Highly improbable, especially for a royal that surely wants to continue his bloodline? At this point him and Teela should have three or four children. And King Grayskull needs to train Adam for being King? His father did a good job without anyone's help (since Miro disappeared long time ago), but Adam is so useless that needs Grayskull to train him? Also He-Ro's concept himself (especially if the story takes away He-Man's real origin, with him being a barbarian and also the prophecy and giving it to Dare) means that He-Man as a champion and character is the greatest failure, because he never succeed in his mission to stop the darkness and he needs someone else to do it for him. So what He-Man accomplished in his life apart from being a complete zero? What makes him unique at the end? Wouldn't be better if his victory has a lasting effect for his people and his world, and after some centuries another champion will emerge to defend Eternia from a new threat? And as for He-Ro's origins personally i believe that the first pitch was much better than the Filmation one (i completely agree with Scott in this). It was a drammatic story, because Dare was actually He-Man's and Teela's biological son, that Adam send him away from Eternia, when a terrible threat was upon their world, for giving him a chance to survive and Dare arrived to Primus. At least in this case Dare was settled to be his own character, in his own world and not the third He-Man's knock-off after Adam and King Grayskull (and at least three-four similar characters).

    If the Masters of the Universe movie is coming, and if they decide to make a new MOTU cartoon, it would be more wise to focus on the characters that we already know well and grow up with, and that they would possibly be part of the movie (like Marvel did with the Avengers. In the Avengers cartoons they appear the characters that we saw in the movie). To make an epic world building cartoon reintroducing Eternia and its story with Flashbacks about Preternia, King Grayskull, Veena, Gray, etc. At the same time the cartoon could build more backstory for the other Masters and Evil Warriors and as well, that they didn't have enough pannel time so far. And then introduce gradually the Snake Men, the Horde, Etheria and the Rebels. There is enough material here for 5 seasons, without introducing a cheap He-Man knockoff as the main character.

    As for He-Man himself personally i prefer the mini comic origin with him being a post apocalyptic barbarian in one of the post Great Wars Eternian tribes that was chosen by the Goddess to defend what's left from his world. He would use an Axe instead of the Sword that in beginning will be in Skeletor's hands, and he will go in a quest to find and defend the ancient legendary fortress of Power and Magic known as Castle Grayskull. So no prince and royalty for him:



    http://www.deviantart.com/browse/all...495791982?hf=1

    But apart from the personal preference i believe that would be better to use whatever origin story are intending to use for the movie, for not creating further confusion.
    Last edited by granamyr80; November 30, 2014 at 01:00pm.

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior InThe80s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    193
    1. Who knew who He-Man was in 1982? Nobody. The concept of introducing new characters is a moot point.



    2. We have discussed this before granamyr80 but I think a younger "Hero" is what is needed to rejuvenate the series. The question is how does a Barbarian in his 30s with an axe relate to kids who grew up in the 21st century? He-Man is already an established character. People have an idea who he is though kids are not familiar with him. He-Man has certain baggage with him so he needs to be moved out of the way a little bit. People know He-Man is kind of powerful like a super hero but they don't understand what is going on. If we change him in any way the old time fans will be upset. But the idea of his son finding a powerful magic sword is kind of intriguing like finding his fathers gun. A kid knows guns, knives, and weapons in general are powerful and dangerous but they can be used to fight evil when the need arises.



    3. This fan-fic that I wrote is just a way of getting Grayskull into the story at an early stage of the narrative without being overly complicated and going through a lot of back story. Kids dream so they can relate to this. Kids need training and guidance too. It just makes sense. Adam and He-Ro needing training is like going to school and college. It relates to kids. It relates to everybody. Nobody is born a hero. Heroes are made, groomed, and trained until they come into their own power. Kids start off life in awkward situations unsure of what to do with themselves. The Adam / Dare relationship is a basic father guiding his son into life as a man.



    4. Overall this is a coming of age story. Kids are growing up and just feeling out their new powers of becoming a man. It has universal appeal. Dare / He-Ro being captured by "Skeletor" in a way is a metaphor for going through puberty. Everyone goes radical changes in their life as they grow up. It is the basic Heroes' journey story. Kids start off safe as a baby / toddler / child and then suddenly they are thrust out into the world of school, friends, relationships, and they have to make their own path and tell their own story. It is an awkward struggle for kids these days growing up and always has been. The overall theme of this fan-fic is keep the story universal so everybody can relate to it. We want people say: "hey I experienced that. This character is just like me." That is just good storytelling. When you focus too much on narrative granamyr80 you loose the audience. Miro who? Snakemen? Hoard what? Etheria? Are you trying to make people's heads spin with narrative? We are not trying to tell an epic "Lord of the Rings" style story here. It has to be kept simple.



    5. Skeletor represents the basic concept of of evil which is never going away. What did Adam and He-Man accomplish in his lifetime. He passed the torch to his son. That is all anyone could ever want.



    6. There is no guarantee a Masters of the Universe movie is coming. Sony Pictures just got hacked and no MOTU info got leaked. So keep that in mind.



    7. Getting a good NEW cartoon series pitch out there is the best we can realistically hope for.
    Last edited by InThe80s; November 30, 2014 at 09:01pm.

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    1,167
    Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    1. Who knew who He-Man was in 1982? Nobody. The concept of introducing new characters is a moot point.



    2. We have discussed this before granamyr80 but I think a younger "Hero" is what is needed to rejuvenate the series. The question is how does a Barbarian in his 30s with an axe relate to kids who grew up in the 21st century? He-Man is already an established character. People have an idea who he is though kids are not familiar with him. He-Man has certain baggage with him so he needs to be moved out of the way a little bit. People know He-Man is kind of powerful like a super hero but they don't understand what is going on. If we change him in any way the old time fans will be upset. But the idea of his son finding a powerful magic sword is kind of intriguing like finding his fathers gun. A kid knows guns, knives, and weapons in general are powerful and dangerous but they can be used to fight evil when the need arises.



    3. This fan-fic that I wrote is just a way of getting Grayskull into the story at an early stage of the narrative without being overly complicated and going through a lot of back story. Kids dream so they can relate to this. Kids need training and guidance too. It just makes sense. Adam and He-Ro needing training is like going to school and college. It relates to kids. It relates to everybody. Nobody is born a hero. Heroes are made, groomed, and trained until they come into their own power. Kids start off life in awkward situations unsure of what to do with themselves. The Adam / Dare relationship is a basic father guiding his son into life as a man.



    4. Overall this is a coming of age story. Kids are growing up and just feeling out their new powers of becoming a man. It has universal appeal. Dare / He-Ro being captured by "Skeletor" in a way is a metaphor for going through puberty. Everyone goes radical changes in their life as they grow up. It is the basic Heroes' journey story. Kids start off safe as a baby / toddler / child and then suddenly they are thrust out into the world of school, friends, relationships, and they have to make their own path and tell their own story. It is an awkward struggle for kids these days growing up and always has been. The overall theme of this fan-fic is keep the story universal so everybody can relate to it. We want people say: "hey I experienced that. This character is just like me." That is just good storytelling. When you focus too much on narrative granamyr80 you loose the audience. Miro who? Snakemen? Hoard what? Etheria? Are you trying to make people's heads spin with narrative? We are not trying to tell an epic "Lord of the Rings" style story here. It has to be kept simple.



    5. Skeletor represents the basic concept of of evil which is never going away. What did Adam and He-Man accomplish in his lifetime. He passed the torch to his son. That is all anyone could ever want.



    6. There is no guarantee a Masters of the Universe movie is coming. Sony Pictures just got hacked and no MOTU info got leaked. So keep that in mind.



    7. Getting a good NEW cartoon series pitch out there is the best we can realistically hope for.
    So what He-Man accomplished in his lifetime was to pass the torch to his "son"? He failed to deal even with Skeletor. Everything that happened in the MOTU Universe was about Dare? Anyway for not derailing further this thread/poll too, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. So let's say that we agree to disagree in the way that we see the MOTU franchise. I have already espress my opinion and my vote for this pole and the motivations behind it. At least, apart from what ever happens with the cartoon, film or with any other possible future media, i really hope that the MOTU comic will continue to be around and will not be influenced by any of them, so i just can continue to read a good epic MOTU story.
    Last edited by granamyr80; November 30, 2014 at 09:19pm.

  7. #7
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    18,080
    I would enjoy this, esp if they go the (anime story-telling not animationstyle) route and it leads to a he-man cartoon. Start in King Grayskull times, for two seasons, go to the Alcalor (that's what I'm accepting as Ooolar's name) era, (but not a multiple he-man idea just warriors throughout eternia's history), lead to King Miro's battles, Randor's adventures then to he-man, instead of doing son of he-man next i'd go to Pre-ternia like was planned, then we can do the king he-man era. it sets up the property to be really big, he-man can be like Goku, really the main man but there are big adventures for other characters too. make it a giant epic
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  8. #8
    200X iceman51880's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    central NJ
    Posts
    984
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I would enjoy this, esp if they go the (anime story-telling not animationstyle) route and it leads to a he-man cartoon. Start in King Grayskull times, for two seasons, go to the Alcalor (that's what I'm accepting as Ooolar's name) era, (but not a multiple he-man idea just warriors throughout eternia's history), lead to King Miro's battles, Randor's adventures then to he-man, instead of doing son of he-man next i'd go to Pre-ternia like was planned, then we can do the king he-man era. it sets up the property to be really big, he-man can be like Goku, really the main man but there are big adventures for other characters too. make it a giant epic
    That would be an awesome concept, but I have Gray Skull as the main (Goku) man. Also, the name "he-man" and "he-ro"... that worked when I was six, but perhaps leaving those that defend Castle Gray Skull nameless would be better. Even if they took up Gray Skulls sword.

  9. #9
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    18,080
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman51880 View Post
    That would be an awesome concept, but I have Gray Skull as the main (Goku) man. Also, the name "he-man" and "he-ro"... that worked when I was six, but perhaps leaving those that defend Castle Gray Skull nameless would be better. Even if they took up Gray Skulls sword.
    names work if you let it work in the show. Optimus Prime is a stupid name to me, I always though so as a kid, but if the property takes it seriously enough only a few will be bothered by it.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  10. #10
    USF Bull chuc98's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    6,883
    I voted "other", I wouldn't mind a King Grayskull series…BUT I'd like to see He-Ro and Eldor play in heavily with the story line.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •