Thread: What was this cartoon/toyline?

What was this cartoon/toyline?

Okay...I'm about to go crazy from this. I've searched every search engine and database I can, all to no avail.
    I remember a cartoon show in the late '80's, I want to say 88-89, that (shock!) had a corresponding toy line with it. All I remember was it was about people, I think they dug underground, and all had these robot/drone companions with them. The toys were probably a little smaller than GI Joes, but the robots/drones were huge, like a big box or something.
    One character I remember was named Kelly Duke. It was a guy, and he was the programmer for all the robots.
    I've checked Virtual Toy Chest. Searched Wikipedia relentlessly. Even waded through PDF's of old Christmas and toy catalogs. Nothing. I'm coming up blank.
    I swear this existed. I remember because one day my mom was taking us to Toys R Us and I kept talking about buying one of these things, but I never did. I remember the year because the whole reason for that trip to Toys R Us was because my brother, who was in 5th grade at the time, was doing homework and got so mad at our mom he took the dictionary and ripped all the pages out, then ran to his room crying. I was in 3rd grade at the time. Why we would go to Toys R Us for a dictionary is beyond me but hey, that's the memory. Blame my brain for these things.
    Anyway, can anyone help? A Google or Bing search for Kelly Duke isn't exactly helpful. But there was a cartoon, and there was a toyline, and I'm not crazy.
    Please help! Boomer Lives!

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    I got nothing, the only thing I could think of was Inhumanoids or Captain Power
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Neither of those, but thanks for looking. Inhumanoids is the one that keeps coming up (and an excellent story too). Still, I know it's not that

The only thing I can think of is Exo-Squad. (But I think they came out in the 90s)
    Check us out at www.Toy-Lines.com
    Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/toyshelfmagazine
    Follow us on Twitter - Toy-Lines

Thanks for looking

Maybe it's Robotix.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

Could it be Visionaries? Or Spiral Zone?
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Naw, none of those, sorry (but thanks for checking!) Visionaries is/was one of my favorites - I still watch it every so often!

Quote Originally Posted by adol View Post
    Maybe it's Robotix.
    I wondered that too, but no one had that name. The robots weren't made by humans, either.

I went on a Google search (for 80's robot cartoons) and all I got was a nasty virus that Norton's and Ad-Aware didn't recognize.
    It took a special Norton's program to get rid of it.

MykEdwards, I wish you luck.
    "Milk that cow, George, milk it! MOO!!" ~ Optimus-Prime's response to the announcement of 3D versions of the Star Wars films.

I can't get any idea of what cartoon maybe.
    I got this site with a list, which I think it's quite complete, of 80's cartoon series

http://www.fromthe80s.com/tv/cartoons.php

Hope it helps

I don't know why I think of Mighty Orbots or Robotech: High Climber Mospeada
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I'm going to guess Transformers! G2 that is...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Was it any of these?

M.A.S.K.
    Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
    Starcom: The U.S. Space Force
    Last edited by GBglide; May 1, 2013 at 05:16am.
    "Milk that cow, George, milk it! MOO!!" ~ Optimus-Prime's response to the announcement of 3D versions of the Star Wars films.

Legions of Power?
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey

Maybe Starriors???

starrcast1.jpg
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

The Sectaurs maybe?

I really feel silly, because not only can I not remember this, no one else seems to either. Maybe it was all some fever dream I had when I was 8?
    Anyway, thank you all for the help. It's cool to see everyone banding together like this. I remember a lot of the series' that people are naming off here. Loved a lot of them - Legions of Power was a lot of fun, but expensive, so I only had one (I loved it though!). Sectaurs was sweet (loved that cartoon, all 6 episodes), and Starriors looks like something I'd love. Vaguely remember it.
    But, I feel like this is a lost cause. I doubt anyone's been stressing out over this, but if you have, no need to continue. I thank everyone for their efforts. Much appreciated!

Glad to help, You might like the Starriors limited series comic by Marvel if you can find it.

Oh, just thought of one other 80's robot cartoon/toy. Maxx Steele's Robo Force.

I didn't find much for Kelly Duke either. Sometimes it could be just memories are a funny thing and you are mixing and matching them.

I know I have had similar issues with some video games going back and playing them as an adult and swearing scenes or dialogue or something else was in the game but doing a google search to see if it was some hidden scene or something would turn up nothing. The only thing I could think is my mind remembered things a bit differently. I know
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

MykEdwards, Was the show a cartoon or anime, and was it shown in the United States or were you living elsewhere as a child?

- - - Updated - - -

MykEdwards PM'ed me, It was shown in the U.S. He thinks it was a cartoon.

I know he doesn't care if we continue, but I'm starting to think of this question as a challenge.

- - - Updated - - -

Was it Power Masters by Lionel?

http://www.thestrong.org/online-coll.../1/12/111.6986

http://actionfiguresca.proboards.com...ay&thread=8648
    Last edited by GBglide; May 7, 2013 at 01:08am.

Score big points ladies and gents! This is it!
    Funny how hard I looked for this and couldn't find this at all. Funnier still how I searched by toy company and of course Lionel never came up.
    GBglide, you're awesome. Everyone remember that!
    Thanks so much for all the help and attempts everyone made. Obviously I was off on my names and such, but hey, a little perseverance paid off!
    I feel like I can breathe this huge sigh of relief now. Not quite sure why, though

Glad you found out what it was! I was getting curious myself!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey

Quote Originally Posted by MykEdwards View Post
    Score big points ladies and gents! This is it!
    Funny how hard I looked for this and couldn't find this at all. Funnier still how I searched by toy company and of course Lionel never came up.
    GBglide, you're awesome. Everyone remember that!
    Thanks so much for all the help and attempts everyone made. Obviously I was off on my names and such, but hey, a little perseverance paid off!
    I feel like I can breathe this huge sigh of relief now. Not quite sure why, though
    I did a few archive searches and found this newspaper article from 1988, if you're interested.

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."