View Poll Results: Power Con Exclusive?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes- a figure sold only at Power Con would be great!

38 44.71%
  • No- a figure sold only at Power Con would be the worst!

47 55.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Con Exclusive?

Heroic Warrior

Power Con Exclusive?

Would it be a good idea if Mattel granted Power Con the rights to exclusively sell a MOTUC figure at the convention only?

It doesn't matter who the character is. Anyone from Squinch to Two-Bad, Josh to Scorpia, any character at all- it doesn't matter who. Just know it will be sold at Power Con only. The only other place you can hope to snag this figure is the secondary market- The Org, eBay, the usual. Would you think this is a good idea- yes or no?

Feel free to post any other thoughts/comments here in the thread. The usual "Yes- only if it's a character I don't like..." or "No- I want them all..." etc.

Yes, I think it would be a good idea, but I do not think the idea of it being anyone is practical. Having the exclusive be an obscure character or a redeco is probably more likely than having it be Two-Bad; a character that is much more in demand. Those kind of characters need to be more accessible, where as a character like Illumina or the Skelcons, or even Mini-Comic Trapjaw would be something better offered at one specific convention. Plus, any figures that didn't sell at the convention might be sold via the ORG, after the con. So, that could make it available to those who couldn't attend the show and possibly international fans, as well.

A redeco figure like blonde tiara wearing Teela, or red Beast Man, or mini-comics Trap Jaw or Tri-Klops would be awesome.

Heck, make it a 2-pack: blonde tiara wearing Teela vs. red Beast Man.

Just like in the mini-comic!!
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

I think the reward of being able to attend and meet a lot of the people that are or were involved in the world of MOTU, is exclusive enough. Making something available to some and not others is ONE of the reasons why the line has trouble here and there. Now unless the item was an option to buy after the show and not for the cost of the show ticket (like the welded sword and they have with prior exclusives), I may be more supportive in saying yes.
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

It'd be cool if the figure was something smaller, simpler in construction, and not in super high demand or in standard packaging. A twigget, for example. But if it's a full-blown fully articulated figure in a standard blister card I think it would really anger a lot of fans and cause more harm than good.

Isn't the travelling con exclusive enough? Strobo will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lentzquest View Post
    It'd be cool if the figure was something smaller, simpler in construction, and not in super high demand or in standard packaging. A twigget, for example. But if it's a full-blown fully articulated figure in a standard blister card I think it would really anger a lot of fans and cause more harm than good.

Isn't the travelling con exclusive enough? Strobo will be there.
    Exactly that was the purpose of Strobo. Although he is not restricted to just ONE Con. I think exclusivity is the issue here.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Sure, it's a good idea. It'll be a super obscure character with no or minimal tooling.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I say no. I don't intend on attending Power Con any time in the near future, but I do so love collecting MOTUC. Chances are, a Con exclusive is going to be something I want to add to my collection, and having it just at the con would negate my chances of acquiring one. Even SDCC Exclusives for MOTUC end up on Mattycollector for the general public to buy.

Sure! The more the merrier. I doubt I'll be making it to PC anytime soon, but I know I'd eventually get one.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Yes, it's a great idea.

Also, if Power-Con got an exclusive, I highly doubt it would be 100% exclusive to Power-Con. With the amount of figures needed to go into production, I'm sure there would be quite a few left. Those could easily be sold off here on the Org (if Val could arrange it) or sold on Matty after Power-Con.

Point is, if Power-Con were to get an exclusive, I doubt they'd be expected to move every single unit. So getting it at Power-Con or the secondary market would NOT be the only way to obtain them. It would be much more similar to TOD Sorceress, where just about everybody had a chance to get one.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Sure, it's a good idea. It'll be a super obscure character with no or minimal tooling.
    A super obscure character with very minimal tooling? Like Illumina perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    If Power-Con got an exclusive, I highly doubt it would be 100% exclusive to Power-Con. With the amount of figures needed to go into production, I'm sure there would be quite a few left. Those could easily be sold off here on the Org (if Val could arrange it) or sold on Matty after Power-Con.

Point is, if Power-Con were to get an exclusive, I doubt they'd be expected to move every single unit. So getting it at Power-Con or the secondary market would NOT be the only way to obtain them. It would be much more similar to TOD Sorceress, where just about everybody had a chance to get one.
    Understood completely, but these more likely scenarios you illustrate are explained as not happening in the original question. I reiterate:

-This exclusive will be sold at PowerCon only. PC and Mattel are in agreement this exclusive is exclusive to the con and have made the necessary arrangements to fully abide in making this fact concrete. Never on Matty or any other official channel ever after. Period. This is the official PC exclusive. Not just another traveling con exclusive. I hope I'm making that perfectly clear.

The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Colder Soldier View Post
    A super obscure character with very minimal tooling? Like Illumina perhaps?
    Sure, that's a possible choice. That way people who really want it can obtain it and those who don't care for it can leave it.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

So, it seems the majority of people that are against PowerCon having it's own exclusive are the ones that won't be attending. The "if I can't have it no one will" mentality. How nice.

Understood completely, but these more likely scenarios you illustrate are explained as not happening in the original question. I reiterate:

-This exclusive will be sold at PowerCon only. PC and Mattel are in agreement this exclusive is exclusive to the con and have made the necessary arrangements to fully abide in making this fact concrete. Never on Matty or any other official channel ever after. Period. This is the official PC exclusive. Not just another traveling con exclusive. I hope I'm making that perfectly clear.
    I understood what you were trying to convey. However, your scenario is very restrictive and quite unlikely. With that said, I was just pointing out that a Power-Con/Org exclusive would be much more likely as far as moving the required numbers and allowing most fans a chance for purchase. I think this scenario would be met with more approval by the fan base.

As for your original point, yes, I would be interested in a Power-Con only exclusive. If Power-Con could move that many units, I'd pick some up at the Con or get some on the secondary market.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Voted no, though really they already have con exclusives. Versions you can only get at the con. Mind you I understand that the recent con exclusives have actually been different pack outs, but for those of us who like the bios, or MiB (not that I care what MiB collecters think :P ) or completists, this still counts.

If they did do a unique to the con only figure, I'd be getting it online at a rediculous mark up I am certain, so really, I'd rather just have the standard pack out or figure alteration (he-ro chest decal, transluscent orko, ect).

It's a two-fold situation being a foreigner. I know that it'd cost me a lot i assume to get a Power Con exclusive figure if it were to happen. But on the other hand, if it means getting extra figures like Red Beast Man etc... in addition to the regular sub figures and such then i'm all for it.
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    So, it seems the majority of people that are against PowerCon having it's own exclusive are the ones that won't be attending. The "if I can't have it no one will" mentality. How nice.
    Well I don't think it should also make people feel "well if you're a true fan and collector, you'll be here" scenario either. I am not against the idea, considering there would be an alternative to getting this figure through the 'org of thru someone like Mark; but why should I as a collector be locked out of adding something to my complete collection just because I can't attend? Especially if there may be reasons as to why I can't attend. and though it seems like I don't want anyone to get it, I think my statement is I am not too thrilled with just some while others are EXCLU-ded.

This is just what I think many say and feel when presented this question or idea. As for me as much as I agree with them, I still would manage to get this figure or whatever it is cause that is me (and just as long as I am paying a decent price and nothing highly inflated). So I don;t think it's that kind of mentality, but just the idea of why are we trying to lock out potential sales when at this point in time, this line needs every dollar it can get?

Snappy Threader
    Only at Power-Con would be fine as long as we can buy extra for those friends of ours who can't make it. I don't mean sell them on Matty, just make extras available for purchase there.

I don't think having it available just at Power Con would be fair to the other cons so then if it's available at several cons we're just back to a con exclusive - which they already do.

It's apparent the total concept of a "convention exclusive" eludes some people.
    Last edited by King Tamusk; April 22, 2013 at 09:46pm.

It's apparent the total concept of a "convention exclusive" eludes some people.
    LOL

Those people saying there shouldn't be a Power Con exclusive are really just beyond bizarre...

Those people should wake up a bit and think about all of us who attended Power Con last year and helped out MANY MANY MANY Orgers when they wanted the bonus Keldor Sword and posters.

I helped out TWELVE people.

Why should there NOT be a Power Con exclusive just because some people can't attend? I helped 12 people get their bonus sword... why wouldn't I and other Org members do the same?

Of course, it was far better when those I helped offered me a little extra money (considering I was paying to fly there, to buy a ticket, and to have a hotel room)...
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    A few quick questions for those who voted 'yes':

-Do you collect any action figures besides MOTUC? If so, what?

To bcrduke- Do you attend SDCC as well? If so, you may become my best friend...

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    I wouldn't mind a Power Con exclusive. I agree tha they could sell a redeco (mini comic Trapjaw for instance, white spacesuit Marlena...). This could be a way to bring variants to fans while keeping the other slot (subs, other exclusives) for original characters.
    20 Most needed characters before MOTUC ends...

Heroic: Lizard Man / King Miro / Hawke / Dakon
    Evil: Evilseed
    POP: Angella / King Micah / General Sunder/ Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Vultak / Hunga / Prahvus
    POG: Veena
    SnakeMen: Tung Lashor / Sssqueeze
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Darius / Sebrian

A few quick questions for those who voted 'yes':

-Do you collect any action figures besides MOTUC? If so, what?
    1) Star Wars
    2) Marvel Universe
    3) Transformers
    4) G.I. Joe

Heroic Warrior
    Lol. It might be more the "I'm privileged enough to get whatever I want and screw anyone who can't" mentality at play here.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    1) Star Wars
    2) Marvel Universe
    3) Transformers
    4) G.I. Joe
    So you are familiar with how those respective convention exclusives usually turn out. Thinking of situations like Slaughtergate, would you say handling exclusives in the same manner would help or hurt MOTUC? And what exactly is a Non-Fan?

I personally think something like "Illuminagate" would turn enough fans away from this line, it would kill any hopes after 2013. That's the (very realistic) speculation I'm trying to convey. It's not a "If I can't have them, no one can" mentality. It's more of a "If I can't get all the ones I want, I don't want any" mentality that is very common among collectors. It's very easy to find reasons not to buy such expensive non-necessities. I have nothing against an exclusive being introduced at PowerCon. The more the merrier indeed. It can even have a special pack-out like the Matty SDCC exclusives do. But whatever this exclusive is, a version of it must be made easily available on MattyCollector after the con. I feel not doing so would ultimately hurt the line. Badly.