View Poll Results: Power Con Exclusive?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes- a figure sold only at Power Con would be great!

38 44.71%
  • No- a figure sold only at Power Con would be the worst!

47 55.29%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power Con Exclusive?

Quote Originally Posted by Colder Soldier View Post
    I personally think something like "Illuminagate" would turn enough fans away from this line, it would kill any hopes after 2013. That's the (very realistic) speculation I'm trying to convey.
    If you think Illumina being available only at Power-Con would kill any hopes of MOTUC continuing past 2013, I don't think your speculation is even close to realistic.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not a "If I can't have them, no one can" mentality. It's more of a "If I can't get all the ones I want, I don't want any" mentality that is very common among collectors. It's very easy to find reasons not to buy such expensive non-necessities. I have nothing against an exclusive being introduced at PowerCon. The more the merrier indeed. It can even have a special pack-out like the Matty SDCC exclusives do. But whatever this exclusive is, a version of it must be made easily available on MattyCollector after the con. I feel not doing so would ultimately hurt the line. Badly.
    That's just the nature of exclusives and the nature of collecting toylines in general. I've never been to SDCC, yet I have countless SDCC exclusive items in my collection. Just about every one of them was bought for slightly more than cost. Hardly ever do exclusives fetch outrageous prices. I won't be attending SDCC this year, but I will be purchasing the SDCC exclusive Star Wars Black Boba Fett on the secondary market and I'm sure I'll get it for less than double the cost. Would I like to pay cost and not have to pay a mark-up? Of course I would, but it's just a normal part of collecting toys.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    So you are familiar with how those respective convention exclusives usually turn out. Thinking of situations like Slaughtergate, would you say handling exclusives in the same manner would help or hurt MOTUC?
    Well, I can't answer about Slaughtergate since I have no clue what that is. I mainly just collect the villains (Cobra) so I would not really be interested in a Sgt. Slaughter figure anyways.

And what exactly is a Non-Fan?
    I'm assuming you're referring to my signature? It's a joke from a while back.

I personally think something like "Illuminagate" would turn enough fans away from this line, it would kill any hopes after 2013. That's the (very realistic) speculation I'm trying to convey. It's not a "If I can't have them, no one can" mentality. It's more of a "If I can't get all the ones I want, I don't want any" mentality that is very common among collectors. It's very easy to find reasons not to buy such expensive non-necessities. I have nothing against an exclusive being introduced at PowerCon. The more the merrier indeed. It can even have a special pack-out like the Matty SDCC exclusives do. But whatever this exclusive is, a version of it must be made easily available on MattyCollector after the con. I feel not doing so would ultimately hurt the line. Badly.
    Well, I don't have the "all or nothing" collector mentality so I can't really answer your question. But I doubt that a Power-Con exclusive figure (which would be probably a super-obscure low tier priority character that only the hardest of the hardcore would absolutely "need" in their collection) would cause a collector to quit the line if he/she would be unable to obtain it.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    This has been an excellent conversation and definitely one of the most interesting I've been involved in on the Org. It's nice to get new insight into the minds of some of my peers. The poll is also the one of closest in memory and it's turn out I did not expect.

Thanks to everyone for posting, and please let's keep it going.

Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    That's just the nature of exclusives and the nature of collecting toylines in general. I've never been to SDCC, yet I have countless SDCC exclusive items in my collection. Just about every one of them was bought for slightly more than cost. Hardly ever do exclusives fetch outrageous prices. I won't be attending SDCC this year, but I will be purchasing the SDCC exclusive Star Wars Black Boba Fett on the secondary market and I'm sure I'll get it for less than double the cost. Would I like to pay cost and not have to pay a mark-up? Of course I would, but it's just a normal part of collecting toys.
    That's a really good point for SDCC items, but the SDCC receives an incredible amount of visitors. Many people go there and snatch up as many exclusives as possible just for resale, regardless of having any interest in the particular line. PowerCon is a much smaller venue. I think even if everyone attending bought a lot of extras to share the love, there still wouldn't be enough to get around. Something like the Keldor swords is cool, or that yellow/gold power sword that comes with the DVD set, but I still think a complete figure would send out waves of widespread rage and/or disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lentzquest View Post
    PowerCon is a much smaller venue. I think even if everyone attending bought a lot of extras to share the love, there still wouldn't be enough to get around. Something like the Keldor swords is cool, or that yellow/gold power sword that comes with the DVD set, but I still think a complete figure would send out waves of widespread rage and/or disappointment.
    True, Power-Con is much smaller than SDCC. However, the size of the convention isn't the only factor. It would depend on the amount of units produced for the Con. Without knowing that number, we can only speculate on how "available" the item may be.

Also, I know this poll was started with an all Power-Con or nothing proposal, but again, if Power-Con were to get an exclusive, I would expect it to be available elsewhere as well. Possibly through the Org itself or some other outlet. In the end, I'd expect it to be as easily obtainable as TOD Sorceress was.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    LOL

Those people saying there shouldn't be a Power Con exclusive are really just beyond bizarre...

Those people should wake up a bit and think about all of us who attended Power Con last year and helped out MANY MANY MANY Orgers when they wanted the bonus Keldor Sword and posters.

I helped out TWELVE people.

Why should there NOT be a Power Con exclusive just because some people can't attend? I helped 12 people get their bonus sword... why wouldn't I and other Org members do the same?

Of course, it was far better when those I helped offered me a little extra money (considering I was paying to fly there, to buy a ticket, and to have a hotel room)...
    Sorry but that is a bit easy to say when you live stateside. Let's turn it around and get a european exclusive only. Even better make it a core character.

Even if you did a noble thing to help other members, the rest of the world doesn't work like that. Not to be harsh to any forum member.

Besides all of this the number will be limited so only the 'chosen ones' that are the true fans will be able to get one. The rest of us will become the simple people who don't deserve the honor of owning an exclusive. I'm just not the type of fan who likes the idea of an inner circle of fans deserving exclusive characters. Special version of a character, fine. New character, sorry not okay.

Yes. Anything that gets us more figures. I'd rather every con (or at least Power-Con and NYCC) get an exclusive figure rather than a traveling exclusive for them all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Horrorist View Post
    Sorry but that is a bit easy to say when you live stateside. Let's turn it around and get a european exclusive only. Even better make it a core character.

Even if you did a noble thing to help other members, the rest of the world doesn't work like that. Not to be harsh to any forum member.

Besides all of this the number will be limited so only the 'chosen ones' that are the true fans will be able to get one. The rest of us will become the simple people who don't deserve the honor of owning an exclusive. I'm just not the type of fan who likes the idea of an inner circle of fans deserving exclusive characters. Special version of a character, fine. New character, sorry not okay.
    Why would where you live make a difference to set something up with a fellow fan? I have several friends in the community from Europe and elsewhere and have already set up arrangements to pick up Strobo's for them. I, and many others I'm sure, would be happy to do the same for you.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Sure, I have no problem with a Power Con exclusive....as long as someone will pick one up for me. lol.
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

I don't think so personally, it's not because I can't go, but if there was going to be an exclusive, it should stay with SDCC or NYCC.

And if they did have an PC exclusive it should be a slight Variant, and not an all new figure, nothing like Filmation Hordak or FF He-Man, but something like a red headed BG Teela maybe with a Blonde hair up head as well, as a bonus.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Lol. It might be more the "I'm privileged enough to get whatever I want and screw anyone who can't" mentality at play here.
    Not at all. I work hard so I can afford to attend shows like San Diego Comic Con, Power-Con, and C2E2. I'm not priviledged or rich by any means. If I am attending a show and they have an exclusive I want, that's great. But if I am not going to a show, and they have an exclusive I'd like, I wouldn't say, "Well, because I am not going to be there to get it, I don't think it's fair. So no one should.". That's just selfish and stupid, in my opinion.

If the rumors about Standor are true and it is an exclusive for Comikaze Expo, then I am out of luck. I'd want him, because I want a complete collection. But I am not going to spend the money on a flight and hotel, and con badge to get one figure. If I want it that badly, I will buy it on the secondary market. That's what I ended up doing to get Wun-Dar. I started collecting MOTUC after sub sales ended in 2010, so I never got him with a subscription. I had to pay a nice amount for him, but I got him.

Did I complain that it wasn't fair? No.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nemisythe View Post
    Well I don't think it should also make people feel "well if you're a true fan and collector, you'll be here" scenario either. I am not against the idea, considering there would be an alternative to getting this figure through the 'org of thru someone like Mark; but why should I as a collector be locked out of adding something to my complete collection just because I can't attend? Especially if there may be reasons as to why I can't attend. and though it seems like I don't want anyone to get it, I think my statement is I am not too thrilled with just some while others are EXCLU-ded.

This is just what I think many say and feel when presented this question or idea. As for me as much as I agree with them, I still would manage to get this figure or whatever it is cause that is me (and just as long as I am paying a decent price and nothing highly inflated). So I don;t think it's that kind of mentality, but just the idea of why are we trying to lock out potential sales when at this point in time, this line needs every dollar it can get?
    I don't believe I or anyone else said only true fans attend conventions. I know there are a lot of fans and customers that can't afford to attend every/any convention. But that is the point of the convention exclusive; a reward to those that can go and something to drive up attendees. It's not to be a punishment. It has a duel purpose. Mattel no longer offers con "exclusives" since they sell everything on their website after the show. They should really stop using that term to describe the offerings. Instead, it should be "First available at...". And you are not locked out. You can connect with someone who will be attending and work out a deal to get the figures for you. Or, there is the secondary market. To truly be locked out would mean these options are not possible, but they are. Plus, I don't think you realize how exclusives work.

A convention will approach Mattel and inquire about making an exclusive for their con. If Mattel likes the idea, they will quote the convention a production cost for making the figure, which will include the minimum units needed to make it profitable for them, and most likely shipping costs. And their quote will definitely make sure they make a profit. If the convention agrees to the price, they pay Mattel upfront. So, Mattel would already make the money they need, right off the bat. They'd produce the figures and ship them to the con, and now it is their problem to unload all the units. Mattel has nothing more to care about, because they got paid and are done with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Horrorist View Post

I think a European exclusive would be great! I'd never be able to get there, but I would try and get the figure from either someone that would be or on the secondary market. I'm sorry you don't have friends that would help you out like that. But the whole "chosen ones" thing is being really overly dramatic. Again, you have options to get them just like everyone else. For some, that option is attending the convention. For others, it's through friends. And, for some it is the secondary market. If you choose not to do any of these, that's your decision and therefore it isn't right that you'd want no one else to get it as a result.
    Last edited by King Tamusk; July 6, 2013 at 03:09am.