Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron Man 3 Talkback - SPOILERS

Here we go. First post Avengers movie and a brand new director for Iron Man.

After the whole invasion in New York with the aliens and fighting along side the Avengers, Tony is completely rattled inside and has anxieties. Pepper is handling Stark Industries, while Rhodey has been re-branded as the Iron Patriot for the U.S. government. Iron Man has been inactive, but the emergence of an Osama Bin Laden type terrorist called the Mandarin makes Tony put on the suit again.

My first reaction to the Mandarin problem was that it was extremely tiny in scope of what just happened in the Avengers. Thor, Captain America, and SHIELD would find and take this guy out super easily, but they're not around...

Anyways, I got past that since the movie explores Tony Stark, the man inside the suit. Remember back in the first Iron Man when Tony was imprisoned in the cave and came up with the idea of Iron Man and how to escape? This entire movie expands on THAT aspect of Tony Stark and takes it to almost a Christopher Nolan level of dissection and putting Iron Man back together. If Iron Man 1 was Batman Begins, this movie kind of is it's Dark Knight Rises. Due to the weak sequel, it never got a Dark Knight. As Dark Knight Rises spent most of the time with Bruce Wayne, this spends most of the time of Tony without his armor. And it works. I always felt the best part of Iron Man 1 was Tony Stark's personality and Downey's performance, which elevated every other actor sharing a scene with him. When you take Tony out of the suit and make him desperate, like in the cave, you get a cross between MacGuyver and James Bond and it's awesome. That's the best way I can describe this film. Iron Man 1 was Robocop meets Rocketeer.

I thought the first Iron Man was grounded in reality, all tech based, but very superhero in execution. The Avengers was a live action cartoon. And some people seem to prefer all this in contrast to Nolan's bat films. Well this one throws reality out the window and the story is close to being as complex as a Nolan superhero film. The technology in the film has taken a huge leap due to the introduction of the Extremis tech. It's almost supernatural compared to fighting Iron Monger and Whiplash and kind of difficult to understand how it all worked. The movie is a complex roller coaster, not a popcorn film. You can't just turn your brain off and enjoy it. You get involved and taken in for one helluva ride, a good one, but for a more mature audience.

Alright, the negatives. How the villain is defeated, kind of anticlimactic. Not as bad as the 1 second fight with Whiplash, but it was kind of, "oh so that thing that just happened was the end of him and we're done?" Everything before that has tons of action with Tony's multiple suits of armor, almost too much at times, but hey it delivers. And as I was saying earlier, the Extremis technology I didn't really understand in context of the movie. I know exactly what it is in the comics, but not how it played out here with what we saw with the Mandarin's army. There's also a big twist in the movie, which I liked, but some people might not accept it. Not my complaint, but someone else's possibly. Probably.

Guy Pearce and Ben Kingsley as the villains were great. Strong and entertaining performances. I didn't think the Mandarin would speak funny like in the trailers, but he does. I know some people hated that, but I love the way he emphasizes his words, as well as other things he says. You'll see what I meant.

So, how was the movie? I enjoyed every second of it because I love Tony Stark the man outside the suit and most of the movie, he's outside the suit. It's about how resourceful he can be, just like in the cave years ago. I'll say it's really good to great. Somewhere in between. Not a movie I want to see again right away, but one I won't forget. I would stick with this director.
    Last edited by SCB; May 3, 2013 at 03:56am.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I watched it in IMAX and was pleased the entire time. First up trailers were Star Trek, Thor, Wolverine, Man of Steel, After Earth, and maybe something else....but regardless it set the tone for an awesome summer.

I was really digging the Mandarin in the trailers. I never read a lot of Iron Man so I wasn't familiar with the villains. I had NO IDEA that

The Mandarin was an actor.
    . I was a little dissapointed because the trailers and everything make him out to be a bad ass. HOWEVER, Ben Kingsley did a job worthy of an oscar. He was extremely entertaining.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed it. Much better than the second, and maybe better than the first. My girlfriend even liked it and getting her to watch a superhero movie is an achievement all to itself.

The after-credits was great. Amazing what they can do with 30 seconds or so of story telling.

- - - Updated - - -

Also can someone explain:

Why did he remove his chest piece? Does he still wear it in the comics? Is that vital to the story? How could that affect the next Avengers movie?
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    I watched it in IMAX and was pleased the entire time. First up trailers were Star Trek, Thor, Wolverine, Man of Steel, After Earth, and maybe something else....but regardless it set the tone for an awesome summer.

I was really digging the Mandarin in the trailers. I never read a lot of Iron Man so I wasn't familiar with the villains. I had NO IDEA that . I was a little dissapointed because the trailers and everything make him out to be a bad ass. HOWEVER, Ben Kingsley did a job worthy of an oscar. He was extremely entertaining.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed it. Much better than the second, and maybe better than the first. My girlfriend even liked it and getting her to watch a superhero movie is an achievement all to itself.

The after-credits was great. Amazing what they can do with 30 seconds or so of story telling.

- - - Updated - - -

Also can someone explain:

traditionally he is NOT an actor he is really a super villain, that's the part I am worried about in the movie.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Other random thoughts.

The after credits scene is not really worth staying for. I mean the movie tires you out and the credits take forever to sit through and then you just get more Tony Stark being funny, but nothing setting up Avengers 2. But if you're going to sit through the movie, you might as well stay. Not missing anything though.

The 3D is not worth it. You can pass on that. I will say though that the Man of Steel trailer looked AMAZING in 3D. Maybe it was the big screen, but I noticed things I never caught on watching it on Youtube. Can't wait for that movie.

There's a kid in this movie that interacts with Tony and instead of being super cheesy like every other movie would have, Tony handles it like a champ.

Now that I've slept on it. Good performances by both villains, but they're forgettable villains once the movie is over.No Loki, Bane, or Joker. Should have been though, at least Mandarin.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Other random thoughts.

The after credits scene is not really worth staying for. I mean the movie tires you out and the credits take forever to sit through and then you just get more Tony Stark being funny, but nothing setting up Avengers 2. But if you're going to sit through the movie, you might as well stay. Not missing anything though.

The 3D is not worth it. You can pass on that. I will say though that the Man of Steel trailer looked AMAZING in 3D. Maybe it was the big screen, but I noticed things I never caught on watching it on Youtube. Can't wait for that movie.

There's a kid in this movie that interacts with Tony and instead of being super cheesy like every other movie would have, Tony handles it like a champ.

Now that I've slept on it. Good performances by both villains, but they're forgettable villains once the movie is over.No Loki, Bane, or Joker. Should have been though, at least Mandarin.
    I completely agree with this statement...
    3D was really useless for this movie, maybe only worked at the plane falling scene

Kid was great; Tony's reply to him about not being so... you know what, made me LOL.

It is quite a pity with villains, I really liked Guy Pearce and his potential as AIM founder. Hope we see more from them, a potential Extremis experiment gone wrong that may deliver us MODOK
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Main reason the twist didn't bother me

I've been expecting it for weeks. Whenever you'd ask someone who saw the movie how was the Mandarin, they would not tell you or would act really weird. And before that in interviews, I caught something that hinted at Mandarin being Ras Al Ghul type device from Batman Begins. So when it happened, I just went with it and Ben Kingsley acting like Russell Brand.

Here's something that you gamers like, since this is related to the movie that Marvel Heroes (Action RPG [kinda like Diablo]) are having another free beta weekend to tie in with the movie, also if you purchase the higher tier, you will get

Iron Man 3 armor suit.

So if you have the game or bought the higher tier enjoy your extravaganza weekend play.
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Just saw it - I really enjoyed it - a LOT more than IM2, certainly. I thought it was funny, and the action sequences were really well done...for once I felt like the 3D was contributing to a movie rather than distracting from it. (I actually got a bit of vertigo during the Air Force One rescue sequence.)

As for the big villain spoiler,

I'm actually really glad I knew about it going in- just like with Ra's/Ducard, I feel like had I not had some warning, it would have ticked me off. Actually, though, I found it pretty funny, especially since Killian turned out to be the real Mandarin. Loved the tattoos.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

The thing I find funny about people being annoyed by the villain...

Is that they act like it really affects anything for them to do this. If he had just been a straight-up terrorist (which I think would have been way more boring than we got... though I do have to laugh at that LEGO "Final Battle" set now... never trust LEGO...) it wouldn't have made that much difference because he would have just been killed in the end like all he Iron Man villains. He wouldn't be an ongoing threat or anything. I'd have far more issues with the comics suddenly doing this than a movie where he's going to be a one-off villain anyway.

I saw it last week and I did not like at all, so many jokes came to saturate me , Tony Stark became a parody of itself.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

I enjoyed it. I'm not sure why they shied away so much from Mandarin's comic origins, since the Avengers movie in which Iron Man was in and was referenced had a lot of over the top stuff in it.

comic book Mardarin. cool, calculating, with 10 rings of alien power. a true super villain. awesome. with the Avengers tie in, and Thor, it could have worked. Iron Man 3 gave us a funny talking Osama Ben Kingsley Laden. lame. pass.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I thought that the movie was a great character piece on Tony himself and a nice little wrap up to the trilogy. I really like the post traumatic stress disorder from what happened in the Avengers. RDJ was awesome!

However...

...I really hated that the Mandarin wasn't a real terrorist. He didn't even need the 10 alien rings, but damn, what a letdown!

I hated Extremis in the comics. I'm glad that Tony doesn't have the armor coming through his pores like he does in the comics and that the movie expanded on his summoning his armor by remote control (and trying to perfect it) as was introduced in Avengers.

Tony getting knocked around while working on his inventions is always a welcome scene. Crotch armor!

Also, there wasn't a lot of full-on Iron Man in the movie. Reminded me of Dark Knight Rises where there wasn't a whole lot of Batman. Heck, War Machine was mentioned a few times and I was hoping that Rhodey would have suited up in that armor once again at the end.

I don't think Tony is through with being Iron Man, but he won't ignore Pepper and shut himself off in his facility anymore. At the end, he hauled off the Jarvis mechanical arm.

It was nice to see Banner at the end of the credits, but the scene didn't allude to Thor II or even Cap II.

Tony got the shrapnel pulled from his heart long ago in the comics. I liked that he finally did it in the movies too.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

I'm not too attached to Iron Man lore, so I can roll with the twist. But

what if in The Dark Knight, we found out Joker was a hipster actor and Eric Roberts was the real villain all along?

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    The thing I find funny about people being annoyed by the villain...
    I disagree

The reason I don't like the twist is why did Mandarin have to be a one off villain? that's what upsets me they had a big rogue to expand the universe and they didn't. Sure making him a generic terrorist is boring, but setting up a major threat...thats awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not too attached to Iron Man lore, so I can roll with the twist. But
    exactly right
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I disagree
    Have you actually seen the movie yet, or are you just still annoyed at the idea?
    I'm not saying it wouldn't have been cool if they did that, but they've shown no signs of doing that yet with ANY of the villains except Loki. I think that would have been cool, yes. But they didn't do that and weren't likely to do that, so I did like what they did.

In any case, looks like this is doing it's job, and at least general audiences are embracing it. Though I'd say a lot of opening audiences are pretty fanboy-heavy too.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/iron-ma...152228608.html

Disney's and Marvel's "Iron Man 3' is on track to kick off the summer movie season with a $170 million opening weekend at the box office, after rocketing to $68 million on its first day of release...

...Saturday and Sunday crowds at the more than 4,250 theaters showing "Iron Man 3," the majority in 3D, could grow based on positive word of mouth. Opening night audiences gave it an "A" CinemaScore.
    It will far outstrip the $128 million 2010 debut of "Iron Man 2" and easily be 2013's best opening, more than doubling the $79 million opening of Disney's "Oz the Great and Powerful" in March.
    The Friday number for "Iron Man 3" includes $15.6 million from Thursday 9 p.m. and midnight showings.

Heroic Warrior
    Saw it yesterday, good movie, not great though, and I am still mad about the twist, glad I found out before I saw the movie otherwise I would be really mad.

There's a correct way to pull off that twist. Lets say the Mandarin is advertised as Ken Watanabe, but its actually Liam Neeson, a better and more legit version of Mandarin. You still get the Mandarin at the end, instead of the character being a joke that just took a huge dump in the bathroom as his big reveal.

I actually really liked the movie. The mandarin twist was ruined for me before I saw the movie but I thought it was still a good flick and that Pierce was really the Mandarin, like neeson, was a good move. I am a huge iron man fan and I liked the twist.

There were a few logic things with the movie that bothered me like the lack of any shield involvement if things got this bad. It would have been fine in the first movie but now to not have them even in the background is odd.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    The movie was so well thought out, so good, that it also becomes a huge disappointment. There are events that occur within the movie that truly build up the suspense, and the outcome is so cleverly executed to the point that it ended up being a big let down as it made the last act of the movie boring because everything is played out so safe. The other issue with the movie is that it plays out just like you would expect from a comic movie. That is not to say it is a bad thing, but it leaves a lot to be desired. There is a lot of great dialog, one liners, and the scene after the credits is great, but the more comic movies we are getting lately are making appreciate Dredd more and more than I did before. IM3 is definitely worth seeing, it isn't as good as the first movie, but it is far superior to the second one. It's just that playing it safe and becoming predictable just made the roller coaster ride fizzle out.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

There's a correct way to pull off that twist. Lets say the Mandarin is advertised as Ken Watanabe, but its actually Liam Neeson, a better and more legit version of Mandarin. You still get the Mandarin at the end, instead of the character being a joke that just took a huge dump in the bathroom as his big reveal.
    I can kind of see that. At the same time, I actually think what we got was far more interesting than terrorist Mandarin. We've already had a bit of that, to be honest. Killian wasn't as interesting from a powers standpoint, but I found his scheme more interesting than what we thought was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    There were a few logic things with the movie that bothered me like the lack of any shield involvement if things got this bad. It would have been fine in the first movie but now to not have them even in the background is odd.
    I know there was a slight remark about Tony going at this one alone or something, but I did think SHIELD's total lack of presence all of a sudden seemed very odd.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I know there was a slight remark about Tony going at this one alone or something, but I did think SHIELD's total lack of presence all of a sudden seemed very odd.
    Given how much presence SHIELD had in Tony's life in IM2, their complete absence this time is a bit weird, I have to admit.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

I just saw it tonight an thought it was ok... Was better than the 2nd, but not nearly on the same level as the first, and then to compare it to Avengers--make's it even more just ok There were a few facepalm moments in the movie for sure though:

1) Mandarin was a lackey? I was so disappointed that it turned out he was an actor. A HUGE missed opportunity to have an awesome villain in a movie and it was blown (and I thought Dr. Doom in the fantastic four movies was bad 2) Tony came off to me as being a jerk in this movie--kinda like he was regressing to what he was like before he even became Iron-Man--I mean, the part where he told the kid to get over his dad leaving--I'm sorry--but that was such a harsh thing to say--didn't see the humor in that at all 3) We get to see all the REALLY great new armors at the end to only have them blown up so Tony can have more "girlfriend time".... SIGH--I literally almost facepalmed myself at that scene.--What in the world was the director, writers,etc... thinking ?

Yeah, so overall a little disappointed, but not terribly--just some really annoying scenes that hurt the movie ALOT.

Have you actually seen the movie yet, or are you just still annoyed at the idea?
    I'm not saying it wouldn't have been cool if they did that, but they've shown no signs of doing that yet with ANY of the villains except Loki. I think that would have been cool, yes. But they didn't do that and weren't likely to do that, so I did like what they did.

In any case, looks like this is doing it's job, and at least general audiences are embracing it. Though I'd say a lot of opening audiences are pretty fanboy-heavy too.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/iron-ma...152228608.html
    At the time I wrote that I DIDN'T see it, but I have now...

I have a weird reaction to this movie. If someone straight up asks me how it was I give it a 'meh' BUT I enjoyed the humourous moments a lot! Now KNOWING what I knew about Mandarin, it dampened my enjoyment a bit because I was waiting for the reveal and that reveal wasn't funny to me because I was anticipating it. in fact when it played out, as well as Kingsley did) it annoyed me for the reasons I said I didn't like the idea, BUT I am also GLAD I knew because watching it cold, this would have made me HATE the movie, even though I wasn't ever a huge shell head fan.

My biggest problems with the movie as a movie (as a comic book movie I give it a meh, as just a movie itself I say it was pretty fun) is the MASSIVE holes in the plot, As mentioned before I mean sheild had ZERO presence in a story where Worlwide terrorism is taking place, they are ESTABLISHED in this universe as are other superheroes with the fate of the USA AND world MEANING something to them, the President of the United States is kidnapped and about to be killed??? Really??? the dull moments felt incredibly dull (thankfully those didn't draw out that long without some humour thrown in)and seriously , what EXACTLY was Killians plot and why was he doing it? What they told us in the movie wasn't very smart I could go on for a looooong time listing my issues with the movie as both a comic book movie and a movie movie, but to be fair to it, it had GREAT performances a lot of GOOD laughs and very pretty effects. (as was said earlier the 3D was laughably craptacular - and yes I am one of THOSE people who LOVES 3D - GI JOE Retaliation had GREAT 3D and I prefer that movie to this on more levels, IM3 had better acting and better emotional ties but Retaltiation to me 'felt' better overall) I might get torn a new one for saying this, but I rank IM3 just a BIT better than Green Lantern (which to me was a write off but kind of fun)

So overall I laughed, would I recommend it to anyone? as a comedy yes. as anything else I'd just tell them 'eh you can wait to see it'
    Last edited by krosfyah; May 5, 2013 at 07:10am.

Fear is faith in failure

Master of Gardening MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    My wife and I saw it yesterday in IMAX 3D and both really enjoyed it
    CONGRATS to the 7 Lucky Winners of my
    FREE Club Etheria Sub Figure Giveaway!!!

Double Mischief = Minor
    Madame Razz = Uncle Jake
    Entrapta = SorceressSon
    October figure = SunDevil
    November figure = Ealo
    December figure = yodafreakmaster
    Light Hope SUB EXCLUSIVE = McLaughlin2778