Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40

Thread: Petition to make Modulok's torso removable

  1. #1
    Heroic Hero Grayskull's Heir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Castle Grayskull
    Posts
    2,615

    Petition to make Modulok's torso removable

    For those who have watched the walkthrough video: it seems that Modulok's torso won't be removable from the front connector piece. I hate that because it deprives us of so many possible builds we could potentially build with the Modulok figure. You can't do half of the stuff you could do with the vintage one if the torso is permanently attached to the connector piece that holds the legs.

    I'd like to start this petitoin here to point out this problem and I hope many people sign it so maybe we can make a change.

    I think it's vital for the torso to be removable.

    In fact you won't even be able to create all the creatures shown on the box art if the torso is not removable. Check out this pic posted on Matty a while back:



    You won't be able to build the third creature from the top on the left. The one that has no torso but uses all three leg-connector parts.

    You won't be able to do this here either:


    Nor this:


    Nor this:


    nor this:


    I find that really disappointing! I was going to buy several Moduloks and build the ultimate super Modulok that has additional torsos growing out of his shoulders. Now it won't be possible to do that


    (I hope I'm not violating forum rules here. The Modulok discussion thread is over here. I'm starting this new thread to raise awareness for the ptorso problem.)
    Awesome sticker included!

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior bribri4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairview Heights, IL
    Posts
    2,137
    The problem arises by making him articulated this time around instead of static like in the 80's.
    Most Wanted Crita, Veena, EvilSeed, Prahvus, Sagitar, Calix, Tuskador, Vultak, Dylamug, Masque, Sebrian, Dree Elle, Uncle Montork, King Miro, Granita, Hawke, Hunga, Kittrina, Quakke, Butthead, Hoove, Darius, Spinwit, Nocturna, Kayo, Lizzor, Artilla, Vizar, Staghorn, Lodar, Twiggets, Drissi, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Three Beast, Fang-Or, Great Black Wizard, Major Header, and Ra-Jar.

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior baron ironblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    secret island
    Posts
    132
    i too was greatly disappointed when i saw the walk through.

    king hiss is able to separate his torso from his crotch. my dcuc plastic man figure does this as well. why suddenly is this impossible? if it is for cost reasons then say it's for cost reasons, but to say that the mere need for articulation prohibits this is just silly. with this limitation modulok will still be cool, but he could have been stellar. (i'm also disappointed that his longer tail segment isn't painted green on the underside like the vintage one, but alas... this is mattel.)

    for what it's worth, i will sign your petition: +1.

  4. #4
    Heroic Hero Grayskull's Heir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Castle Grayskull
    Posts
    2,615
    Quote Originally Posted by baron ironblood View Post
    king hiss is able to separate his torso from his crotch. my dcuc plastic man figure does this as well. why suddenly is this impossible? if it is for cost reasons then say it's for cost reasons, but to say that the mere need for articulation prohibits this is just silly.
    I agree with you. That is why I'm not buying the "it's because of the articulation" argument.
    The point is that this is a completely new buck. It's not like they use the standard MOTUC torso and realise they can't accomodate the peg hole needed to make it removable in the torso. This is a complete newly developed torso so it should be possible to do this. I can't see the point in making a Modulok figure you can't seperate at the most important point. What use is it if the torso isn't removable. The fron connector piece is the only one that does not have a peg or a peg hole on the front side (the other two pieces where the legs plug in do have these peg holes). If you can't remove the torso from it, this piece becomes completely useless.
    Awesome sticker included!

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior ADPriceless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wolverhampton UK
    Posts
    434
    After seeing how far along the figure is on the Powercon video and how expensive a pretty much fully tooled new figure must have been - I'd guess that a petition at this point won't result in a change being made.

    Besides - I'm sure most people, me included, think he looks fantastic.

  6. #6
    Heroic Hero Grayskull's Heir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Castle Grayskull
    Posts
    2,615
    Quote Originally Posted by ADPriceless View Post
    After seeing how far along the figure is on the Powercon video and how expensive a pretty much fully tooled new figure must have been - I'd guess that a petition at this point won't result in a change being made.

    Besides - I'm sure most people, me included, think he looks fantastic.

    I agree he looks fantastic, never said otherwise. This petition is not about his looks , it is about maximising the playability and making him just as awesome as the vintage toy as far as playability and potential builds are concerned.
    I actually think Mattel might get into legal trouble if they put pictures on his box showing what you can do with him and then it turns out you can't actually do what is shown on the box because the torso is not removable.


    I'd have posted this petition sooner but this bit of information was not available before Power-Con...
    Awesome sticker included!

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior kanon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    126
    maybe they could add a part that could connect 2 holes ? you know what i mean ? a very simple part ? i don't know

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior ADPriceless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wolverhampton UK
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    I agree he looks fantastic, never said otherwise. This petition is not about his looks , it is about maximising the playability and making him just as awesome as the vintage toy as far as playability and potential builds are concerned.
    I actually think Mattel might get into legal trouble if they put pictures on his box showing what you can do with him and then it turns out you can't actually do what is shown on the box because the torso is not removable.


    I'd have posted this petition sooner but this bit of information was not available before Power-Con...
    I totally understand your point - I think what I trying to say is that while fan input has led to changes in the past they have generally been small tweaks and easy to implement whereas this is a pretty fundamental change at this stage.

    On the legal front - who knows, you ay be right - but I'd guess Mattel legal would have been involved to date and vetoed the product revealed.

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior Lipster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,268
    I do not want the torso removable. Hsss is too fragile with his and I want durable figures that could be played with not fragile models. If they did it the same way they did Hsss there would be a bigger back lash on how badly it was designed. If they could do it on a ball joint like they are doing the rest than I would be cool with it but that is not going to happen.
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

  10. #10
    USF Bull chuc98's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    6,665
    I'm pretty much good with the way they've executed the figure. A loss over a detachable function in favor of an articulation function was the right move IMO.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

  11. #11
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    18,002
    I'm in, I don't fully understand the articulation issue, but I lso agree that the figure looks amazing.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior sirsniffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jersey City, NJ
    Posts
    1,255
    My enthusiasm for the 2014 reveals continues to be dampened by all the flubs of the design team...for the most part execution is good but one after the other there have been a string of disappointments. Glimmer's 'diaper', Modulok's torso issue, Hydron's possibly 'costed out' backpack, Two bad's closed fist...some minor and some major but nearly every new reveal already has some issue.

    Im guessing Scorpia will have a pizza crotch and be painted wrong, Blade will likely have a weapon removed for cost and they will add Trap Jaw legs at the last minute.

    ^(totally kidding about the above)

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipster View Post
    I do not want the torso removable. Hsss is too fragile with his and I want durable figures that could be played with not fragile models. If they did it the same way they did Hsss there would be a bigger back lash on how badly it was designed. If they could do it on a ball joint like they are doing the rest than I would be cool with it but that is not going to happen.
    I agree completely. Hiss is not sturdy enough because his torso is removable. I haven't watched the Modulok video, so I can't comment on the details specifically.

    Bearing in mind the Classics are not about replicating action features from the Vintage line - it's more about the aesthetics - it really doesn't bother me if the permutations shown on the original art can't be achieved.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

  14. #14
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    18,002
    Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    I agree completely. Hiss is not sturdy enough because his torso is removable. I haven't watched the Modulok video, so I can't comment on the details specifically.

    Bearing in mind the Classics are not about replicating action features from the Vintage line - it's more about the aesthetics - it really doesn't bother me if the permutations shown on the original art can't be achieved.
    I'm confused re hiss' stability, I haven't heard anything about that until now, my hiss is fine. what is the trouble with him?
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  15. #15
    Heroic Subscriber He-Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    Posts
    786
    The figure is huge... if they use the same simple male/ female plugs on the torso that they do on the other pieces it may fall apart in the middle too easily after it breaks in and gets loose. However they feel they need to do it is fine with me.

  16. #16
    Heroic Subscriber He-Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    Posts
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    My enthusiasm for the 2014 reveals continues to be dampened by all the flubs of the design team...for the most part execution is good but one after the other there have been a string of disappointments. Glimmer's 'diaper', Modulok's torso issue, Hydron's possibly 'costed out' backpack, Two bad's closed fist...some minor and some major but nearly every new reveal already has some issue.

    Im guessing Scorpia will have a pizza crotch and be painted wrong, Blade will likely have a weapon removed for cost and they will add Trap Jaw legs at the last minute.

    ^(totally kidding about the above)
    Don't care... tired of people standing on a soapbox and bashing the line just because they feel like it's their time to shine.

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior mjw41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,895
    It's too late Modulok is already in production. What Scott showed Pixel Dan in the walkthrough was a very close to final production sample. No way is Mattel going to retool a new mold for what you are asking. Tooling costs major money in the thousands and as I stated this figure is already in production so you are not going to see this change.
    Looking forward to the entire 2014 & 2015 line

  18. #18
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,554
    This issue doesn't bother me one bit. Just like I could lose the ab crunch to get the perfect Dragstor, a bulky ass armor on him would be stupid when his wheel is actually part of his body, and he doesn't need an ab crunch or a waist swivel, at least the waist swivel. My custom doesn't have either, and he displays just fine. Sometimes a figure doesn't need to have everything.

    Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    My enthusiasm for the 2014 reveals continues to be dampened by all the flubs of the design team...for the most part execution is good but one after the other there have been a string of disappointments. Glimmer's 'diaper', Modulok's torso issue, Hydron's possibly 'costed out' backpack, Two bad's closed fist...some minor and some major but nearly every new reveal already has some issjue.

    Im guessing Scorpia will have a pizza crotch and be painted wrong, Blade will likely have a weapon removed for cost and they will add Trap Jaw legs at the last minute.

    ^(totally kidding about the above)
    First off every reveal has issues you look for them, for two not everyone can be pleased.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; September 18, 2013 at 09:57am.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior Seril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    813
    True Hiss can separate but he's got a small peg between the torso and crotch. It looked like Mokulok had bigger, tighter pegs which could be the reason they can't fit the larger peg (or hole) into the torso with the ab crunch there.

    At any rate I still think he looks amazing despite the non-separating torso... I'm tempted to get two after seeing the Powercon walk through.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

    One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

    www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior Saved's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Louisville/Ft Knox, KY
    Posts
    934
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    It's too late Modulok is already in production. What Scott showed Pixel Dan in the walkthrough was a very close to final production sample. No way is Mattel going to retool a new mold for what you are asking. Tooling costs major money in the thousands and as I stated this figure is already in production so you are not going to see this change.
    I agree with this.
    Jii Dee regarding Matty's view on MOTUC Collectors: "Here be whiny surrender monkey dragons".

    MOTUC NEEDS: Sssqueeze, Dragstor, Saurod, Blast Attack, & Lord Masque.

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior Lich Leech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lake of Gnarl
    Posts
    1,594
    I'd like to see the torso be removable, but it's probably too late. I'm still going to buy one.
    By the ancients!!!


    Lich Leech feedback thread

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior Mad Scientist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    456
    I think it is fine the way it is. A few months ago we didn't even know that Modulok was going to have the action feature. Ok right there are some forms that can not be achieved but we are talking to people who can not make a proper leotard. We expect too much sometimes. But that is my opinion of course.

  23. #23
    N7 Horde Operative hadley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    7,435
    I'm always okay with compromise when it doesn't ruin the intent of the figure. If we have every other joint BUT this one, I'm fine with it. I haven't gotten a chance to watch the video yet; is there a socket on his rear end for the tail or third leg?

  24. #24
    grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,560
    Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    I'm pretty much good with the way they've executed the figure. A loss over a detachable function in favor of an articulation function was the right move IMO.
    But that's obviously not the reason, as folks have pointed out. We know such a joint is possible, as we've had it before with a fully articulated figure. It's much like when TG said it was not possible to do ball jointed shoulders with a rotocast figure, when I have two Mattel made rotocast figures from the 200x line with ball jointed shoulders. This is why credibility has become such an issue over the years, when we are told something that obviously is not true. Here, as in the rotocast case, it was likely a case of cost rather than design or production limitations; I imagine the figure came in quite expensive to make with all the new parts, so something may well have had to give, in this case the removable torso. And that's a perfectly legitimate reason, mind you.

    A second possibility has already been brought up: they didn't do it because Hiss didn't work out so well. Since Mattel is not going to come right out and say, "The world's largest toy company can't figure out how to make a simple snap together joint work properly, so we can't do it here," we get this explanation in its stead. I can see where such a joint, even if it is stronger than Hiss' was, might have some problems holding all the weight of everything that could be put together below the waist. Again, a legitimate concern and reason not to do the joint, just one Mattel wouldn't want to outright admit to publicly.

    So I think there are some real reasons this joint doesn't come apart, and thus it is likely that, even if it could be changed at this stage of production, it wouldn't be. It just likely isn't exactly the reason given...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    5,090
    I'm OK with what they've shown so far with Modulok, I'd like him to be stable so if that means not having the torso be detachable then be it.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •