Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Rokkon and Stonedar are the 2013 SDCC MOTUC Exclusives

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I've had a chance to look at the pics better, and see what everyone else is saying. They DO look better on the cardback, and have smaller rock attachments.

I'm not sure if the "straps" are included or not, because the one Facebook picture clearly has a strap still. Take a look:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...31309622_n.jpg

EDIT: Larger carded pic from comics-x-aminer.com. Yeah, the clips have been completely changed. They go around the back of the knees now instead of going all around the thigh, and having better sculpting/looking like a part of their outfit. That's too bad Mattel Design must have changed up the 4H's designs...again. *sigh*

http://comics-x-aminer.com/wp-conten...2013/04/M5.jpg

First of all, I'd like to say that I am really happy that we will get Stonedar and Rokkon eventually. I've been waiting for them for a long time. Totally happy with the fact alone!

The only thing I do not like about them yet is that I really do not like the clip changing part. While the 4H always come up with really clever ideas..."Mattel Design Team" really knows and shows again and again how NOT to do it!

I do not mind the large rock pieces, rather like them that way and I do not have an issue with Trap Jaw's legs (although of course, I wouldn't have minded new lower legs/shines). BUT the band clip thing is an issue for me and is a really bad choice by the design team. Mattel Design pushes it. They get on my nerves. If it turns out to be true, and the clips have been changed to the worse, they really force it, and I honestly start to hate them!
    Last edited by Xetheus; April 30, 2013 at 04:08am.

Agreed 100% These oversized rock pieces kills the design. Oh why Mattel, they didn't need to fully transform to a rock! Those Emiliano's drawings had the perfect model for them but no..

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    The oversized rock pieces looks goofy on these figures. Like Queen Marlena, there was no need for Mattel to design the toys to "transform".
    I'm mostly undecided on the faces.
    The clips on the back of the rock pieces cheapen the look of the figures.
    The guns look oddly bent and loose like the original toys....
    Getting super tired of seeing those Trap Jaw legs!
    Should have been a three pack!
    I had high hopes for these two figures. The rock pieces just kill the design. They should have been sized somewhere between what we got and Emiliano's design.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...68848905_n.jpg
    MOTUC needs:Tung Lashor, Rio-Blast and rest of the Hordes!

WANTED: Minicomics !!! Swords NEEDED !!! MY FEEDBACK

Heroic Warrior Fearless Arriflex's Avatar
    I really really need to see better pictures of these, but my impression as a die-hard-Stonedar-fan is that his MOTUC counterpart couldcome off as a slight disappointment. I could ignore the oversized, bulky,goofy rock pieces, but I'm really hardbroken the 4Horsemen didn't attempt to classicize Stonedar's unique and beautiful vintage head sculpt.
    MOTUC Most Wanted:
    Sagitar - Tuskador - Saurod - Mermista - The Crimson Fury - Entrapta - Kittrina - Artilla - Sssqueeze - Garth - Vultak - Dylamug - Lodar - Ninjor - Admiral Scurvy

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I've had a chance to look at the pics better, and see what everyone else is saying. They DO look better on the cardback, and have smaller rock attachments.
    I agree. The difference is in the rock attachments. The upper leg clips look better in the card-back picture - adding detail and color variety. Moreover the rock attachments are smaller in the card-back picture. Looks way better IMO.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    WOW great exclusive! Both Stonedar and Rokkon look nicely done. I really love the vintage colours and the sculpt of the rocks are amazing. The Trap-Jaw pieces I'm not thrilled about tbh, but I guess they work OK here.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

So have Mattel designers ignored the fact that the red bands are part of Stonedar's original look?? Why do the 4H prototypes have them visible but the packaged figures have them at the back?

NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

While I like the fact that these retain their action feature, the large attachments do look a little goofy when the figures are standing upright. I hope a fan company is able to produce smaller ones.

Just noticed the missing leg bands - maybe there is a genuine reason for this? Perhaps Mattel are avoiding the problems which Vykron's armor had? Perhaps the Rock pieces snap onto the figure rather than be fixed by ties? Vykron's body armor was difficult to put on as the straps were to short and didn't plug in - I'd hate for that mistake to be mirrored in other figures. So maybe this is the best option - we should wait until we hear from TG though.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    So have Mattel designers ignored the fact that the red bands are part of Stonedar's original look?? Why do the 4H prototypes have them visible but the packaged figures have them at the back?

http://bimg1.mlstatic.com/he-man-sto...279_092012.jpg

http://news.mattycollector.com/wp-co...3/04/Y3215.jpg

http://news.mattycollector.com/wp-co...izeimage02.jpg
    The cardback photos looks perfect!!
    Why did the designteam mess this up with those oversized rockparts?? And those clip things at the bottom looks silly.

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Seams odd to have a new faction without a faction logo. I think an new exploding "Rock Warrior" Logo could pay homage to the exploding red rock of the vintage card backs.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I won't lie, the TJ parts are a drag to see again, and I think that's a legitimate lament even if nothing could be done about it. I'm sorry they don't have more tech-ish parts to choose from this far into the line is all.
    It is about as tiresome as 8-back Skeletor/Mer-Man boots. I was looking forward to new parts that may go into reuse for for Dragstor, Blast Attak, Multi-Bot and NA characters. While not a deal breaker it is irksome. Looking at the Filmation designs and the style guides I wonder if demo-man/Photog legs would have sufficed with painted on lines?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    The Rock Warriors are awful imo. Unless it was a childhood favourite I just can't imagine anyone liking these...I'm always baffled as to how many people seem to like them. Cool new characters get bashed on but lame characters like the rock warriors get a pass b/c they're vintage. But, congrats to those who wanted them. I hope you get Granita as well at some point, it would be a bit strange to only get the two.
    I'll admit they certainly look frenetic but they had one kick ass commercial and strong characterization across the media. They are one of the few characters who had continuity between the PoP cartoon and the MOTU mini comics! Plus the gimmick was fun when you are four years old.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    t I'd gladly pay more for this set if only they had thrown in two more sets of different colored rock armors and two more heads, so that you can army build if you choose to buy more than one set.
    I am totally fine with them just being a Two Pack of Comet Warriors, because I feel very confident that one of the Filmation sub slots is going to go to Granita now, so that in 2013 you can have a full faction
    That is a great idea about extra heads and rock armors. They could be packed with Granita or Meteorbs to boot sales?

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    I especially love how the rock pieces on the arms look like shields.
    That is an interesting observation. Being armed (Heh pun, sorry) with shields perfectly lines up with their pacifist nature!

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    I am surprised there is so much clamor for Granita. I want her as well but I guess I never thought of her as essential to the the rock people, probably because she never had a vintage toy.
    I am shocked about the Granita love fest that this thread has generated. It looks like a lot of us had hoped for a 3-pack. I join in the communal crossing of fingers that she is on the short list.

That said, what has happened to team Calix?

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I love them. My only gripes are that Scott didn't allow for a 3-pack with Granita, and that his writing in the bio does nothing to cleverly combine the rock people's origins from not only the vintage motu toy line, but also as the UK comics, and the She-Ra cartoon. It just drives home how little a relationship with much of the mythos Scott seems to have. I'm not saying that as fact, only that he has once again done something to indicate he just doesn't know what we know.
    I don't think he cares. While I share your pain, I have to try and distance my emotion from Scott's employee fan fiction/bioverse [and DC's comics bloodlust...] for the sake of my own sanity. Besides, lets face it, it could have been worse!

Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    Also, Scott didn't murder anyone in the bios or erase anyone's memory! Bonus!
    Best of all, no stupid "real" names. Small victories people...Small victories.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

I think they look great and like the fact that they can be displayed armoured up and without. Great choice for an SDCC set.

I'm betting we see another MOTUC reveal on Friday - maybe something to push a Filmation sub? Blue Hordak anyone??

Quote Originally Posted by ADPriceless View Post
    I think they look great and like the fact that they can be displayed armoured up and without. Great choice for an SDCC set.

I'm betting we see another MOTUC reveal on Friday - maybe something to push a Filmation sub? Blue Hordak anyone??

I am hoping for Lizard Man or Strong Arm

If we get Granita, (I'm pretty sure she's coming as her name is trademarked and doesn't appear in Rokkon and Stonedar's bios) do you folks think she'll come with rock attachments too? Now that these two have been revealed and I've had a night to sleep on it, I'm starting to feel like Mattel will 'pull a Jewelstar' on her by only giving us what is shown on the right of this picture, with maybe a weapon included.

I can see Mattel making excuses because there was never a female / smaller sized rock person in the original toy line.

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    [....] Also, Scott didn't murder anyone in the bios or erase anyone's memory! Bonus!
    Justice, Truth, Honor and Loyalty!

Visit my website for handmade Scenery, Statues & More! CUSTOMSCENERY.NL

Heroic Warrior
    These look cool, as usual ! Now, I just can't wait to watch Pixel Dan's preview to actually see whether they deserve to be bought or not... But I have a good feeling about these two !

Now, let's hope that this 2-pack won't reach crazy prices here...

P.S. : don't you think that the pictures we got are very small ? They sure don't show a lot of details... I wonder why... Also... the legs attachments and crotch part look very weird, to say the least. But I guess it was compulsory to make them that way so that they would be able to "transform".
    Last edited by Prahvus; April 30, 2013 at 08:33am.

Anybody else think that Granita may be one of the "unannounced" exclusives? Maybe the Granita one will be packed out differently...one with "rock pieces on" and one with them off?

Heroic Warrior
    If you think about how many pieces it would take to do it as Emiliano had envisioned, the price would go up to 70-80$ without shipping. I don't think most customers would pay so much money for those two.

Mattel made the best way to give both factions a figure they want: For those fans, who want a figure, that can transform and for those who don't care about that feature and want to display the figures without the rock parts to have a cohesive look with the other figures.

I totaly understand the reasons, why Mattel did this.

For the bios: Who cares anymore?

It doesn't bother me that the rocks appear oversized and are clipped on.It'll give better display options for filmation fans and those who enjoyed their gimmick.Can't make everyone happy I guess.What I've decided that bothers me is the fact they missed the mark on the lower half of another potentially wonderful figure.Snakeface being the last example.

Wow!!! Rock people!! I LOVE IT!!
    Fantastic 2 pack! Thank's Matty

Am I the only one who is disappointed in the re-use of parts choices?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    Am I the only one who is disappointed in the re-use of parts choices?
    Yes you are.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    If we get Granita, (I'm pretty sure she's coming as her name is trademarked and doesn't appear in Rokkon and Stonedar's bios) do you folks think she'll come with rock attachments too? Now that these two have been revealed and I've had a night to sleep on it, I'm starting to feel like Mattel will 'pull a Jewelstar' on her by only giving us what is shown on the right of this picture, with maybe a weapon included.

I can see Mattel making excuses because there was never a female / smaller sized rock person in the original toy line.

http://www.bustatoons.com/blog_image...nita_model.jpg
    the pieces will get sculpted but Mattel will exclude them for "budget" reasons and then claim they were never supposed to be included.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I like them but Ralph & Keith??? Cmon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Atomicdios View Post
    I like them but Ralph & Keith??? Cmon!!!
    There is no Ralph or Keith on the offical images on the bios, don't know where they came from.

Heroic Warrior
    I forgot to say that they seem pretty decent, not favorite characters of mine but the figures do look pretty good.

Also this would not be the 1st time a company photographed the original sculpts for the back of a package, it's happened quite a bit in the past where the production figure was different than the original design. It probably has to do with the packaging being ready at the same time as the figure/toy? Mattel and the Horsemen probably scrapped the newly sculpted upper legs for Stondar were scrapped due to the cost of additional tooling.

I noticed the Matty board is blowing up with a ton of Stondar & Rokkon related questions, and many of them I could answer myself, like really :

"Love that we finally getting the rock warriors! However I wonder which versions of the figures are the final ones. The cardback version or the other? I really hope its the cardback versions as they look far superior with more details and smaller rock attachments. Theres a pretty big difference between them"

I'm going to say the packaged versions are the final versions, probably because they are the actual figures??? No wonder so many of these questions go unanswered.