Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Rokkon and Stonedar are the 2013 SDCC MOTUC Exclusives

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    I do agree that it could have been better to have a Rock People 3 pack in the sub and the FFM multipack as an SDCC exclusive. On the other hand, I also believe that the SDCC budget probably helped Mattel choose the Rock People as an exclusive item. And let's keep in mind, that Vykron was heavily panned last year. Mattel probably had to give something a bit more exciting to fans...

The good thing is that, on the whole, the Comet Warriors look pretty awesome. Of course the use of Trap Jaw parts is getting a bit boring... Still, to me, these guys are much more appealing than last year's Vykron. Had they been done in a cheaper way, these two guys might have been less cool (imagine the disappointment if these guys had not been able to transform for instance...)

Now, I hope that Mattel is aware that there is some demand for Granita (or to a lesser extent, other Rock People).

I know I would have been happy to get some kind of teaser implying that Granita, while not released with her fellow Comet guys, was on her way too. A mention of her in the bios or a Toyguru statement implying that more Rock People could show up in 2014 would have been appreciated. All we know is that Granita is not "off the table" but that's pretty much it!

I hope that Granita's recent trademark is not just to lure fans to buy the Filmation sub... A Granita teaser or allusion at the next SDCC, something like a repaint of their weapon, would be more than welcome...
    Last edited by jdscissorhands; May 1, 2013 at 05:39am.
    20 Most needed characters before MOTUC ends...

Heroic: Lizard Man / King Miro / Hawke / Dakon
    Evil: Evilseed
    POP: Angella / King Micah / General Sunder/ Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Vultak / Hunga / Prahvus
    POG: Veena
    SnakeMen: Tung Lashor / Sssqueeze
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Darius / Sebrian

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    Rocklords, right? Powerful transforming rocks! (??)

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Thanks for the update TG. I think this set looks fantastic and I have to agree - Stonedar and Rokkon came first as a pair of Comet Warriors, so it makes sense that they came out together like this. I am totally behind a Granita release in the near future though (hopefully 1 of the remaining Filmation figures).

Also about the leg bands - I'm glad they chose to tool the ray gun's instead - can you imagine the uproar if they came without them!?
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    the timing is the best time.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    Also about the leg bands - I'm glad they chose to tool the ray gun's instead - can you imagine the uproar if they came without them!?
    Call me strange, but I would have chose getting the bands on the thighs over the ray guns it came down to a vote...lol The ray guns could always be released in a Weapons Pack or something. But honestly, why couldn't Mattel just add like $5 more to the cost so we could get everything?
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Call me strange, but I would have chose getting the bands on the thighs over the ray guns it came down to a vote...lol The ray guns could always be released in a Weapons Pack or something. But honestly, why couldn't Mattel just add like $5 more to the cost so we could get everything?
    I hope we get the bands on the thighs in a Accessory-Pack (As clip-on parts)! It would be sad, to not get them!

Hopefully the early access for sub holders will have a LOT more of these on offer than there was with Strobo.

Quote Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
    This 2 pack is much less forgetable than Vykron!
    I thought Vykron was a cool concept, but didn't care too much for the clip-on type armor, especially on Space Ace. But yeah, I agree this is a better 2-pack. I may still forget to pick it up. I often get side-tracked by everything else going on at the show.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    With these two being vintage I sure hope Mattel makes enough to keep up with demand so we don't have a 30 second sell out like we did with Strobo!!!
    With it also being sold online post-convention, I imagine folks will be able to grab 'em up later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    But yeah, while I am a Granita fan, Rokkon and Stonedar are the Comet Warriors.
    In fairness, she's a Comet Warrior too.

And yes, also the cross sell does show some legs bands that we couldn't tool. The final figures are the lose figs and the packaged figs in the shots. Often (well, always) the cross sell shots are done off of the prototypes and some things do change along the way. In this case it came down to tooling and we really maxed out. It was leg bands or laser gun accessories and we went with the accessories.
    Since I was young, I always imagined the mid-thigh band on Stonedar and the low-thigh band on Rokkon were somehow tied to the rock armor. So, it's a bit of a bummer not to have them. But, if it cost too much to tool up new thigh pieces or make bands to slip over the thighs, I'm personally okay with it.

Quote Originally Posted by The.Idea.of.Evil View Post
    Rocklords, right? Powerful transforming rocks! (??)
    Right.

Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

online with my office computer in Liverpool
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnster View Post
    The winner to take on Cy-Chop? Or the Paper boy
    If there's something strange in the neighbourhood, who you gonna' call? HE-MAN!!!!

I have been waiting SO long to get to these guys!

Rokkon was by far not only my favorite MOTU fig, but he was just one of my favorite toys in general as a kid. Stonedar was cool too, but Rokkon was my fav. And now we get him at last. So cool. They have been sitting way out on the roadmap for so long, I often wondered if I would even still be on the line and around by the time we got to this set in 2013. But man, here we are. SDCC 2013. Oh man, the Rock Warriors at last!

Honestly had my doubts back in 2009 if we would make it this far, but man, no fans like He-Fans to keep a line going! So glad to finally have my favorite MOTU figure in Classics!

I haven't read through this whole thread, but it looks like overall folks are pleased with this one. Really glad for that@ To blast through some common questions:

The set is 60.00. You are basically getting two 30.00 (Ram Man size) figures. With all the extra rock parts (especially the add on bottom part) there is way more per figure vs. what we could do with a monthly 25.00 slot. This is also one reason we didn't want to include Granita. A 90.00 set with three 30.00 figs felt too high and we can always find a way to get to her down the road. Just because we aren't doing her now doesn't take her off the table.

But yeah, while I am a Granita fan, Rokkon and Stonedar are the Comet Warriors. They were the vintage toys and I have to be in that camp on this issue in the end.

And yes, also the cross sell does show some legs bands that we couldn't tool. The final figures are the lose figs and the packaged figs in the shots. Often (well, always) the cross sell shots are done off of the prototypes and some things do change along the way. In this case it came down to tooling and we really maxed out. It was leg bands or laser gun accessories and we went with the accessories. Never an easy choice, but that was the mind behind the madness on this choice in what to include (we obviously didn't want to lose the rock armor and both figs have 100% unique rock armor each).

All and all a fantastic set. The armor pieces clip onto the existing joint indents on the elbows and knees. The leg armor also can snap together in the back. There is a "tail" piece in the back that is articulated up or down on a hinge to help with posing and the transformation. They can transform pretty quick and the armor stays on very tight (although if you do full armor it clearly will limit the articulation as you lose elbow and knee movement (like the vintage figs).

There will be no difference between the one at the show and online. Sub holders will get early access to all of the SDCC items when they go on sale in Aug (isn). But first shot is at the show!

And no, this set is not in the subscription as noted at sign up.

That's it for now. And if you are in the South Bay area, stop by the Comic Bug this Sat for Free Comic Book day and see Rokkon and Stonedar in person. (after that they go back on my desk, Spector needs his crime fighting partner Rokkon --in my own non MOTUC bios person cannon that is! Go Spectormobile Go! Right on Rokkon! I kill me.)

See ya at the show

SdN
    Scott very well with this fantastic 2 pack! Each output vintage is always a thrill!
    Now I hope that this roadmap will soon see my favorites namely: Ninjor, Tung Lashor, Rio Blast! Make this baby happy 35 year old!

I don't get the fuss over Granita.

I love this set. IF it was a three pack for $90 with Granita, I would NOT have bought it. As it is now, I will most likely get this set.

And yes: the Ray-Guns are WAY more important than leg-bands. What about those (like me) who don't have funds to buy every weapon pack? I would have been mighty ticked if the Rock Warriors had leg bands instead of ray guns!

I think it's almost perfect. My only gripe is the over-use of Trap Jaw legs when they could have went with He-Ro legs or something else. But it's not a deal breaker for me. I always loved the Rock Warriors: Stonedar was my favorite! This set it A+ for me.

I just don't get why Mattel can do so well with the Rock Warriors but mess up royally with the iconic Castle Grayskull.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mick4metal View Post
    Holy ****storm! If I'm not mistaken the title of the thread is: Rokkon and Stonedar are the 2013 SDCC MOTUC Exclusives. That being said I do find it annoying that more people are complaining about a 3-pack that never existed than talking about the reality 2-pack that has been announced. I said if you want Granita that's fine but to think she is on the same wanted level as Rokkon and Stonedar I find absolutely silly. There is a very small but loud POP group that want her. That is the way I see it. Anyways its cool to see the Comet Warriors ((Rokkon & Stonedar)) finally make their way to MOTUC.
    Not POP fans, but Filmation fans. And that's a huge group.

Some fans see Filmation as their major canon, so there was always three Comet Warriors instead of two. People think of Filmation as the be-all and end-all, but a LOT of fans were vintage toyline fans only and followed the toy canon where there was no Granita.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

There should be something poly bagged or extra for those that buy at the con. I hope there will be, otherwise the point of this set being 'exclusive' is lost.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    But yeah, while I am a Granita fan, Rokkon and Stonedar are the Comet Warriors. They were the vintage toys and I have to be in that camp on this issue in the end.
    Vintage toy vs Filmation ERA WAR™!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    But, Scott also says the SDCC items are planned a year in advance, which means they would have already had the Comet/Rock Warriors planned prior to the response received from the FFM. So an additional 3-pack at that point was entirely possible.

Scott seems to miss the point that it wasn't entirely the $75 price tag of the FFM, but the character selection. Had that been a 3-pack of Stonedar, Granita, and Rokkon, and the SDCC item been the box art pilots, I think fans would have been happier about the subs and those that couldn't attend SDCC would be happier about the exclusive.

I know costs are an issue for some, but I think the majority will say it was the selection. If it was characters they wanted in that sub 3-pack, I doubt there would have been as many complaints.

- - - Updated - - -
    The selection is definitely not the problem for me I actually prefer the FFM over the Comet Warriors, it is most definitely the pricepoint. While one 3-pack at $75 is not a burden for me and I could easily afford it, it's the multiple subscription holders it is a killer to. If there were no $75 ($60 last year) subs would have sold at an increased rate because the cost of those extra 3 packs stunted multiple sales, I would have easily decided to get more subs last year with the reveal of Sorceress, Fisto, and Shadow Weaver. These sets also discourage resellers (even stores) from purchasing more because of the high pricepoint and difficulty to turn a profit on this item.

That is the way you see it...and you're seeing it wrong. I'm not a PoP fan, I'm a customer. And as a customer, I do want Granita too. So your whole viewpoint is not only incorrect, it's biased because you sound like a non-PoP person and have classified Granita as being only PoP.

And, for the record, people ARE discussing the 2-pack that exists when they mention her, because they are expressing how they thought she would belong with Stonedar and Rokkon in a Multi-pack. The hoped that was what the SDCC item would gave been, had the Rock/Comet warriors been revealed. Just because you're not a fan of the character, doesn't make those that are and their thoughts regarding her inclusion in this exclusive invalid.

- - - Updated - - -
    And she may come down the line, Scott is right this would have been a harder sell at $90 for 3 versus $60 for 2, and there are no guaranteed sales protection with the sub for this set.

So, because Granita didn't have a vintage toy, she's not a Comet Warrior? Does that mean Octavia and Scorpia are not Horde members? For someone that has always said the line was meant to include every era, why are you suggesting Granita is something less than what she is, only because she didn't have a vintage toy? Remember your logic the next time you want to push a Dare figure or Skeleteen.

So, you decided to forfeit articulation and visual design to get the laser gun (tooling used twice for both figures), which could have been released in the upcoming Weapons Pak. Honestly, Scott...that was bad planning. Saying the vintage figures couldn't bend their knees doesn't make it any better. The way the prototypes appeared to handle the armor allowed for full articulation. So, this was just bad choices, all around. You should have chosen the leg bands and released the guns in the 4th weapons Pak.

How is this even a con "exclusive" anymore, when the exact same item is on sale on Matty's website less than a month later??? Are attendees getting something polybagged at least, like Gleek was for the Wonder Twins or the Un-Men were for Swamp Thing? If not, then there isn't anything special for those that attend the actual convention.

It is still a great set, but it's a B+ when it could have been an A+.
    What articulation was forfeited? The decision not to use a newly sculpted upper leg for Stondar had zero tho do with articulation. Just using a different un-original upper leg was a cost measure, as the new upper leg didn't cost out. The Comet/Rock attachments were not changed at all. These figures have the exact same articulation as every other figure (not named EP King Randor) just with the attachments their articulation doesn't work as well. And selling the same SDCC item on site is no different than the SkeletorMo-Larr pack, several other Mattel SDCC exclusives, or anything Hasbro or other companies sell after the show. Do you really have a probelm with this?

Quote Originally Posted by king.of.grayskull View Post
    I hope we get the bands on the thighs in a Accessory-Pack (As clip-on parts)! It would be sad, to not get them!
    The upper banded leg peice was an entirely sculpted piece not bands that slid over the leg. I suppose they could do that, but that is not what you are seeing on the back of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    There should be something poly bagged or extra for those that buy at the con. I hope there will be, otherwise the point of this set being 'exclusive' is lost.
    Doesn't bother me at all that this is not a true con exclusive. As long as I get mine you can call it whatever you want.

I do think it was great that Scott came on here and posted to clear some things up. I have thrown my share of stones at Mattel over the years but I think they have really done well with these. I just can't seem to wrap my head around why so many people are upset about the leg bands. I am not a customizer but even I could come up with something that would fix this.

I also do not care if we get Granita anytime soon. I mean really, if we get her before Glimmer I'd pop a blood vessel.

I think they are awesome. Thanks for the update. Totally understand about Granita; makes sense to me! Hopefully we'll see her in 2014. (I say this as it sounds like she would be too expensive for the Filmation sub.) Maybe the Filmation sub will be "expanded" next year and feature a "larger sized" item? Hmmmmmmmm......
    Say cheese!!!

Heroic Warrior
    So....does this mean that there is still another 2-Pack coming as part of the 12/13 Sub???

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by eCollector View Post
    So....does this mean that there is still another 2-Pack coming as part of the 12/13 Sub???
    Most definitely.... One of the most fan requested Army builders!!!!! So it will be Horde Troopers

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    Most definitely.... One of the most fan requested Army builders!!!!! So it will be Horde Troopers
    I'd put my money on Skeletor's Filmation Robot Knights.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

Heroic Warrior
    Well i"m glad its a two pack and not a 3 pack and I think they r fine as is!
    My tribute to MOTUC video using still photos of MOTUC figures with filmation music : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ibute-to-MOTUC

trap jaw's legs again?!? ....PASS!

To clarify some confusion, the "bands" on the leg were not bands, they were new upper legs. Adding this piece put us over our tooling budget. So the new upper leg piece had to get cut to keep the laser guns.

To clarify some confusion, the "bands" on the leg were not bands, they were new upper legs. Adding this piece put us over our tooling budget. So the new upper leg piece had to get cut to keep the laser guns.
    What a convenient oversight of information.

Before it was "bands or ray guns". Now it's just ray guns because we can't afford the bands. I always love how the story evolves to justify decisions.

Cbomb - read Toyguru's statement. He states that due to how the rock armor was engineered, articulation will be compromised.
    Last edited by King Tamusk; May 1, 2013 at 11:14am.