Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Rokkon and Stonedar are the 2013 SDCC MOTUC Exclusives

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kylun flac View Post
    the timing is the best time.
    For several reasons. How many of you remember what was happening in the winter of 1985/1986 when the Comet Warriors launched? Haley's Comet was passing by Earth, and it was a Big Event. I've always thought that the Comet Warriors were an attempt by Mattel to capitalize on that.

And there are reports that this winter, we may get one of the brightest comets ever in the Northern Hemisphere's sky. Seems only fitting that the Comet Warriors will be here to greet it.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    To clarify some confusion, the "bands" on the leg were not bands, they were new upper legs. Adding this piece put us over our tooling budget. So the new upper leg piece had to get cut to keep the laser guns.
    The bands were sculpted on the vintage, so I can see this. Personally, I'm fine without them. I may do a poll to see how many folks really want the bands, though.

If the bands prove to be really popular, is there a way to do the bands later on in some sort of flexible material, in say an accessory pack or added with another figure so they can be slipped over the leg?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew L. Martin View Post
    For several reasons. How many of you remember what was happening in the winter of 1985/1986 when the Comet Warriors launched? Haley's Comet was passing by Earth, and it was a Big Event. I've always thought that the Comet Warriors were an attempt by Mattel to capitalize on that.

And there are reports that this winter, we may get one of the brightest comets ever in the Northern Hemisphere's sky. Seems only fitting that the Comet Warriors will be here to greet it.

Awesome!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    There should be something poly bagged or extra for those that buy at the con. I hope there will be, otherwise the point of this set being 'exclusive' is lost.
    I'm sure at least one of the SDCC items will have something different at the con. This time it just isn't the MOTUC item. Not everything is about MOTUC.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Heroic Warrior
    You should have kept the new legs instead of adding some obscure additional snap-on front piece. Or gone the Horde Prime way: put the guns in the next Weapons Pack.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthKant View Post
    You should have kept the new legs instead of adding some obscure additional snap-on front piece. Or gone the Horde Prime way: put the guns in the next Weapons Pack.
    or pack them with another figure. I will make my own, but again I should not have to, I understand costs went up for materials but so did the prices of these figures (and we are being gouged on shipping internationally) and as we've beaten to death, Scott said the prices were going up so we wouldn't LOSE OUT on items or decos. but we started the year losing out on items and decos and it keeps happening.
    Last edited by krosfyah; May 1, 2013 at 10:37am.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Call me strange, but I would have chose getting the bands on the thighs over the ray guns it came down to a vote...lol The ray guns could always be released in a Weapons Pack or something. But honestly, why couldn't Mattel just add like $5 more to the cost so we could get everything?
    That or simply just not include that extra Rock piece that wasn't part of the original figure which I'm sure took cost away? I was OK with the TJ Boots (as mush as a purist would've wanted 100% tooling)
    And I believe the thigh bands would've made the TJ boots ROCK even more!
    And you're right the did exclude certain weapons from other characters for the sake of sculpt and completeness, I would've waited for a weapons pack to get the guns!
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    What a convenient oversight of information.

Before it was "bands or ray guns". Now it's just ray guns because we can't afford the bands. I always love how the story evolves to justify decisions.

Cbomb - read Toyguru's statement. He states that due to how the rock armor was engineered, articulation will be compromised.
    So what did you want hinged rock pieces? or pliable plastic? The abscense of the banded upper leg does nothing to affect the articulation, if you want a more dynamic pose take the arm and leg armor off. Faceless One's armor affects the articulation when on also. These things have a pricepoint to hit and have to cost out so they are worth Mattel's effort to make.

To clarify some confusion, the "bands" on the leg were not bands, they were new upper legs. Adding this piece put us over our tooling budget. So the new upper leg piece had to get cut to keep the laser guns.
    Oh Scott, but I really would hope that next time you guys (and gals) will consider that full sculpted figure should ALWAYS be priority than an accessory especially since the weapons packs can help with that. Just IMO.

But THANK YOU ALL for green lighting these guys as they have been LONG OVERDUE! I can't wait to get them!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    or pack them with another figure. I will make my own, but again I should not have to, I understand costs went up for materials but so did the prices of these figures (and we are being gouged on shipping internationally) and as we've beaten to death, Scott said the prices were going up so we wouldn't LOSE OUT on items or decos. but we started the year losing out on items and decos and it keeps happening.
    Raised prices does not mean they can afford every last item imaginable. It means they can afford more than if they didn't raise the price.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    The bands were sculpted on the vintage, so I can see this. Personally, I'm fine without them. I may do a poll to see how many folks really want the bands, though.

If the bands prove to be really popular, is there a way to do the bands later on in some sort of flexible material, in say an accessory pack or added with another figure so they can be slipped over the leg?

Awesome!

I use the Horde band around Catra's leg as a "garter" hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    Raised prices does not mean they can afford every last item imaginable. It means they can afford more than if they didn't raise the price.
    it was supposed to ensure that nothing would get cut. no one is saying everything IMAGINABLE, that is an immature expectation, but everything the figure was designed to be is reasonable.

Again let me point out the fighting foe men and the wealth of accessories they have that they didn't historically have, particularly the horde symbols. I APPRECIATE the weapons reflecting the vehicles, but extra money went into them to fit the bio scott wrote where extra money was cut for figures that don't include their canonical looks. how does that make good management sense?
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Awww...I think we could have put the laser guns in a future weapons pack than compromise the figures themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew L. Martin View Post

LOL! I remember.

I also remember this...competition from Tonka!

Too bad the toys didn't look like the artwork.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    I'm sure at least one of the SDCC items will have something different at the con. This time it just isn't the MOTUC item. Not everything is about MOTUC.
    Every exclusive that will be available later on matty should have something different specifically for the con, MOTU or not. MOTUC as a brand has nothing to do with it. It's about the product being exclusive.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

Heroic Warrior
    I understand cost reasons. But upper legs are recycled over and over again. It would be nice to see something new.

I'm in the camp new legs before weapons.

Widget

The set is 60.00. You are basically getting two 30.00 (Ram Man size) figures. With all the extra rock parts (especially the add on bottom part) there is way more per figure vs. what we could do with a monthly 25.00 slot. This is also one reason we didn't want to include Granita. A 90.00 set with three 30.00 figs felt too high and we can always find a way to get to her down the road. Just because we aren't doing her now doesn't take her off the table.

But yeah, while I am a Granita fan, Rokkon and Stonedar are the Comet Warriors. They were the vintage toys and I have to be in that camp on this issue in the end.

SdN
    So if Granita gets offered down the road, would the most likely scenario have it be as part of the Filmation sub or Club Eternia, or kept for a con exclusive due to cost?

Yes Val, please do that!

I am all for those bands!!!

I am really excited for the Comet Warriors, especially Stonedar. He is one of my favourites. This is why I am sad that newly sculpted legs got cut and we still pay the higher price. On full new price, I expect no cuts in paint apps and originally sculpted parts!!!

I can understand that bringing out the laser guns rather than the bands makes more sense marketing wise. Of course, they could have been put in a WP4, but just imagine the up-roar if those would have gotten cut.

I honestly hope that TG finds a way to release those bands as add-on-clips, all of them, in some way down the road like Zodak's head. There must be a way!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Awww...I think we could have put the laser guns in a future weapons pack than compromise the figures themselves.
    I still fail to see how the missing bands affect the figure in any way. It compromises nothing. I would much rather have the weapons than new upper legs any day.

How hard can it be to put a red band on his legs? I would have to think it would be much cheaper than the cost of the weapons pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    I still fail to see how the missing bands affect the figure in any way. It compromises nothing. I would much rather have the weapons than new upper legs any day.

How hard can it be to put a red band on his legs? I would have to think it would be much cheaper than the cost of the weapons pack.
    It changes the design of the figure. it would be like he-man not having gauntlets on his wrist or trap jaw not having the thigh pads.
    I don't think it would be hard to do, that's why I'll probably sculpt my own.

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    I'd like them a whole lot more if the set also included Granita. Mattel dropped the ball again.
    Nope, they held onto the ball and ran for a TD on this one!
    I'm not a TG or Matty apologist by any means, but I think this was the right choice in the wake of the FFM 3 pack.
    People would have been screaming about a $90 3-pack when only a portion want Granita at all.
    She did not have a vintage fig, and was only a Filmation character, so she's a perfect example of a fig for the Filmation Sub.
    I hope those of you that want her, get her down the road, but this is the right choice.

That's a great idea and something I hope Mattel can incorporate into a future weapons pack.

Is there going to be a new faction sticker on this box? Like a "Rock Warriors" type of design?

I hope so!!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Thanks for clearing this up Scott.I imagine if they used the bands as clips for the legs it would have been affordable.That would have been genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    I still fail to see how the missing bands affect the figure in any way.
    Same here. I totally get it why people are disappointed about Granita, but I'm sure we will get her at some point.

The leg bands on the other hand are such a minor problem. The way I see it, there is not even a problem at all. Just once it would be nice to see a thread reach page 20 without the usual doom and gloom. I'd never dreamed they would give the Comet Warriors their "action feature", but they did. To me Rokkon and Stonedar are fine the way they are.
    Last edited by Barnster; May 1, 2013 at 03:56pm.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Is there going to be a new faction sticker on this box? Like a "Rock Warriors" type of design?
    I hope so!!
    I for one hope NOT! I don't like any of the stickers other than the Horde stickers since the vintage Horde figs did have the Horde logo on their card/box. As a MOC collector I find it takes away from the ascetics of the fig.

I guess the misconception that many here will always consider as a 'gripe' is the FACT that the design has been 'Altered' and not looking like their vintage appearance... it's not too hard to understand.

Is it somewhat obsessive, YES But as a purist you may find this hard to accept on some level that the figure does not look like the 'original design'. There's no denying they still overall look spectacular!!!

But in the end when you now see things like the cost of how much was allocated to this exclusive (it's sharing the Ram Man price) and them adding whole new piece (rock piece) vs. removing a piece of design or even an accessory you may just understand and get it. The true vintage should not be compromised in their designs at all; unless it adds to it (Webstor and Mantenna) and that's how it should be seen and understood.

And here's another way you can look and possibly get it; look at Rokkon's leg it's red/orange all the way down to the blue TJ boot. Now imagine that a thigh band was there it would 'break up' that moment of dullness and keep it exciting as the rest of the deign work within the sculpt and colors. But then I'm digressing with an Artsy interpretation / observation with this now.

And let's just break it down to the very simplest problem... Design is still *** with the Horsemen work again!!!