Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (5/1/2013)

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (5/1/2013)

kastorskorner.com

Kastor’s Korner: With the MOTU focus shifting to completing the core collection over the new two years, have you considered spinning off sub-sets such as Princess of Power or New Adventures into their own sub lines (like we saw with Filmation), to make room for more core MOTU characters? Or are these themes considered part of that core that will be completed within the main line?

Mattel: The focus for 2014 and 2015 (if we get enough sub holders) will be vintage figures from MOTU, POP and NA as well as major characters from animated and comics. Everyone is in the pool. What you won’t see are more concept figures, model kits or some of the more obscure NA characters and variants (like Too Tall Hoove or Crimson Fury etc…)

Kastor’s Korner: Fang Man was rather notoriously revealed to be the first Club Eternia figure not to be available for day-of sale. What is the rationale behind which other figures would be limited to subscriptions only? Is it predicted popularity/ relevance? Tooling costs of the s[ecific figure? Or something else entirely?

Mattel: It is simply to reward sub holders with more exclusivity and make the subs worth it now that we need them to keep the line going (more then we did for example in 2010 when costs were much lower)
    infinitehollywood.com

1. Now that Masters of the Universe has an iPad/iPhone game, a DC comic book and a movie in pre-production, is the brand considered more viable and as such is MOTUC “greater supported” within Mattel?

MOTU has always been a very important brand to Mattel and we hope the future will only bring more opportunities and more ways for fans of all ages to experience the adventures of He-Man!

4. Is there anything interesting being done to Geldor to help make him stand out as the fan’s selection figure?

He will have a burst on package noting this!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The sites listed below are the sites who want to participate in the Q&A round-up in these threads and on the He-Man.org homepage news entry.
    Be sure to check out their sites! There's a lot there to see in addition to the Q&As.

http://www.planeteternia.de/
    http://www.kastorskorner.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/hordak.de
    http://www.maitresdelunivers.org/
    http://www.infinitehollywood.com/
    http://www.he-man.de/
    ElkkThunders Toy Room
    MOTUClassics.com
    MOTULA.org
    http://www.preternia.com
    www.mintconditioncustom.com/
    greatrebellion.org
    toyhypeusa.com
    musclor.org

All other sites haven't gotten back to us yet about participating, or have asked not to be included which we completely understand and respect.
    So, please do not post the actual questions and answers from any site not listed above.
    But you are welcome to post a direct link to their Q&A, and discuss the info here in this thread.

Thanks!
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; May 2, 2013 at 07:16am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Such informative answers.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Such informative answers.
    Based on the questions that were asked, I'm not sure how much more informative the answers could have been

The answers are totally ok...the questions sometimes giving not room for better answers
    BTW I love that all POP are also including in both years!!! So happy about this!!!
    Flutterina, Entrapta, Peekablue, Kowl and all the other girls and little people...wow I can't wait to get them all for my collection!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Right decision to focus on the vintage stuff, they can do some concept stuff in another sub, but I have enough of all those obscure characters.

Pretty much confirms it for non-subscribers, if anyone been in doubt. If you want a figure, order it for higher price from other stores.

Holy ****! Did he just say that about Fang Man! LOL. I am going sit back and see how this pans out with the non-subbers!

Quote Originally Posted by wayneepoo View Post
    Based on the questions that were asked, I'm not sure how much more informative the answers could have been
    I know right
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    ToyGuru:
    MOTU has always been a very important brand to Mattel and we hope the future will only bring more opportunities and more ways for fans of all ages to experience the adventures of He-Man!
    Is that why you have to fight so hard for every little thing MOTUC gets? Wouldn't Mattel be happy to just put the money into Barbie or Hot Wheels where the rate of return is so much bigger? I think if MOTU were important to Mattel, they'd do SOMETHING in the last ten years to promote it besides sending sample figures to reviewers.

I truly believe TG loves MOTU as do others at Mattel, but I don't buy for a second that Mattel really cares all that much about MOTU. If they did, something would have been done about DR a long time ago, because it's an absolute embarrassment that tarnishes everything it comes into contact with.

About the Fang Man response, sure, costs have gone up but so have prices, so how does that mean you have to kill DOS? I am glad that they admitted they did it to reward subbers and entice sub sales. And rewarding subbers means punishing DOSers. It will be a grueling buy in period this year I think. DOSers will have to think longer and harder about how much they want these figures.

Kinda surprised about the frankness of the Fang Man answer honestly. It is what I expected but still. We all knew the line was headed this way I guess.
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

That doesn't mean every release will be subscriber-only, just that it will happen more often.

And Fang Man wasn't exactly as popular as Ram Man, Jitsu, or Snake Face, though he's gained a lot because of his limited avialability.

And because he's such a lovable old cuss.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    Is that why you have to fight so hard for every little thing MOTUC gets? Wouldn't Mattel be happy to just put the money into Barbie or Hot Wheels where the rate of return is so much bigger? I think if MOTU were important to Mattel, they'd do SOMETHING in the last ten years to promote it besides sending sample figures to reviewers.

I truly believe TG loves MOTU as do others at Mattel, but I don't buy for a second that Mattel really cares all that much about MOTU. If they did, something would have been done about DR a long time ago, because it's an absolute embarrassment that tarnishes everything it comes into contact with.

About the Fang Man response, sure, costs have gone up but so have prices, so how does that mean you have to kill DOS? I am glad that they admitted they did it to reward subbers and entice sub sales. And rewarding subbers means punishing DOSers. It will be a grueling buy in period this year I think. DOSers will have to think longer and harder about how much they want these figures.
    Mattel cares about money. If MOTU was as big as it was in the 80's, then the Digital River problems would have been solved immediately. Unfortunately, the brand hasn't been relevant to the casual public in a decade. Mattel did try to do this on their own back in 2002, but they themselves screwed that effort up and it failed at retail, killing off everything else associated with it. It'll take a new movie for MOTU to regain prominence.

I do think Mattel is keeping the MOTU brand alive because of it's potential to rival the Transformers brand, another 80's kids' toyline. All of those kids are now adults with disposable incomes or families of their own. Those adults could bring their kids over to MOTU if the brand is still around. All it would take is for MOTU to return in a huge way.

MOTU is taking baby steps.

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

I'm glad he mentions major comic characters as well. Go Masks of Power demons
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Agreeing with MetalGearMax - Mattel cares about the Brand. The currentl merchandise might not be performing terribly well, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    Kinda surprised about the frankness of the Fang Man answer honestly. It is what I expected but still. We all knew the line was headed this way I guess.
    Seems more like a two birds, one stone approach. Fang-man is naturally less desirable based on a host of factors that I won't go into here, so is a character Mattel would make less of anyway, so saying they made less to help make the sub more worthwhile works for them on several levels. In a way it helps justify making less, which they were going to do anyway, most likely.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

Hoove is definitely out? Noooooo!

the way I see it, Fang Man was a big gamble towards Filmation characters and the Filmation sub - limiting his availability to make him more desirable is a way of hedging their bets.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollex Christi View Post
    Hoove is definitely out? Noooooo!
    Not regular Hoove. Too Tall Hoove--the variant.

Heroic Warrior
    Eldor! Eldor!

Quote Originally Posted by orbles View Post
    Holy ****! Did he just say that about Fang Man! LOL. I am going sit back and see how this pans out with the non-subbers!
    I love that answer. It brought a big grin to my face.

Heroic Warrior
    I don't completely understand the Fang Man answer.

I totally understand that Mattel wants to create additional "exclusives" for subscription holders to encourage (or possibly demand) subscription sales for 2014 and 2015. However, I don't understand why "rising costs" mean no day of sale stock when Mattel has supposedly raised the price of the figures as a result of its rising costs.

Unless they're referring to the "rising costs" of storing unsold figures in their warehouse? I guess that could be a rising cost that is directly related to day of sale stock.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    I'm glad he mentions major comic characters as well. Go Masks of Power demons
    But were they talking about mini comic characters or the new series from DC characters or just any of the comics in general? I would guess Despara would have more support than the Demons?

I see rising costs as the last ting that pushed it over - remember, Fang Man has a surprising amount of new tooling.

The sub was in a lot of danger last year, and this year it's still in question - after all, there won't be a Ram-Man or Mantenna or Jitsu next year. So by adding a few more "Subscribe, don't cherry pick" incentives, they're hoping to get a few more people and hopefully ensure that the 2014 subscription goes through.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 2014 go Sub-Only... or at least part of it (like maybe the quarterly items if there are any; and I'm guessing there will be... ).

It would actually be smart... it would get e-tailers to buy up subs again... and collectors might buy an extra sub and sell off what they don't need from it.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Imp, Filmation Hordak, Sweet Bee, Arrow, NA She-Ra, Spinnerella, Mermista, Gwildor, Tung Lasher, Ninjor, Lizard Man, Dragstor, Huntara, ... and all the other POP & NA characters.

You know, if this isn't already in the cards- having the quarterly items be sub only would be kind of a nice bonus for subscribers. Not everybody would probably buy something like Storm DOS, but if it came as part of the sub in like Q2 of 2014, that would be pretty great.