Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 68

Thread: MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (5/1/2013)

  1. #26
    Evil Warrior jibernish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    845
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see 2014 go Sub-Only... or at least part of it (like maybe the quarterly items if there are any; and I'm guessing there will be... ).

    It would actually be smart... it would get e-tailers to buy up subs again... and collectors might buy an extra sub and sell off what they don't need from it.
    I was thinking the same thing, until that answer by TG that Fang man was a reward for subbers and an attempt to "make the sub worth it." If they had plans to go sub only, would they need to do that? I think making some figures DOS only is necessary only if you trying to entice people to sub instead of DOS. But if there is no DOS at all, then is there really a need to make extra exclusives?

    Who knows. I won't be surprised if DOS is killed at SDCC. That will be a sad day if it happens.

  2. #27
    Heroic Warrior No-Ah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,771
    Mark my words: if they go sub only, that year will be the FINAL full-year of the line. Sub-only means no new customers.

  3. #28
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,554
    Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    But were they talking about mini comic characters or the new series from DC characters or just any of the comics in general? I would guess Despara would have more support than the Demons?
    Tell that to the Germans.

    Seriously, Despara is only a few months old. Does she really need a figure already?? The Demons have been around since the early 80's. We already have Adora. If we are gonna get something from the comics, let it truly have CLASSIC roots, like the demons, or Lodar, or Prince Dakon. Oh, by the way, Crimson Fury is a COMIC character Scott. And a cool one, at that. Not a concept character, model kit character, obscure NA character, or variant. Despara, on the other hand, IS a VARIANT. I'm just saying' is all.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    Mark my words: if they go sub only, that year will be the FINAL full-year of the line. Sub-only means no new customers.
    I do believe losing DOS will hurt more than help. If they want to select items, such as adding the quarterly items to the sub exclusive list, I am fine with that. But the entire sub I feel would be a mistake.

  4. #29
    Heroic Warrior Dr Kain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Posts
    5,228
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneepoo View Post
    Based on the questions that were asked, I'm not sure how much more informative the answers could have been
    You mean aside form being rude and snarky?
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

  5. #30
    Heroic Warrior orbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,386
    I love rude and snarky. That is why I hang out at the .Org!

  6. #31
    Heroic Warrior The Horrorist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Antwerp/Belgium
    Posts
    872
    I don't see anything rude or snarky in those 4 answers. Can you point it out please?

  7. #32
    Heroic Warrior Dr Kain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Posts
    5,228
    Quote Originally Posted by The Horrorist View Post
    I don't see anything rude or snarky in those 4 answers. Can you point it out please?
    Look, I understand this is a He-Man board, but read the freaking answers to all of the questions!!!

    You aren't seeing it because you are only reading the answers to the He-Man questions (which are still snarky because of the "if the sub happens" comment). Oh, and then the Fang Man comment.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

  8. #33
    Heroic Warrior Kid Canada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    725
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Look, I understand this is a He-Man board, but read the freaking answers to all of the questions!!!

    You aren't seeing it because you are only reading the answers to the He-Man questions (which are still snarky because of the "if the sub happens" comment). Oh, and then the Fang Man comment.
    No, I have to agree, there is nothing rude or snarky about any of those answers.

  9. #34
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Only two sites responding so far?

  10. #35
    Heroic Warrior Ridureyu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,993
    Clearly they didn't apologize enough.

  11. #36
    Eternian Arashikage King Kahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    nashville, tn
    Posts
    5,799
    Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    Mark my words: if they go sub only, that year will be the FINAL full-year of the line. Sub-only means no new customers.
    Okay, They have been marked.

    However, you may be incorrect. Sub Only would mean new Subbers. Having a single figures doesn't guarantee a new customer except for that one purchase. A sub guarantees a customer for 12 months.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

  12. #37
    Evil Warrior jibernish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    845
    Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    Okay, They have been marked.

    However, you may be incorrect. Sub Only would mean new Subbers. Having a single figures doesn't guarantee a new customer except for that one purchase. A sub guarantees a customer for 12 months.
    Not necessarily. It may mean someone who buys 12 figures a year in total may wind up buying zero. Subs have dropped each year and that could very well happen again. Lots of people have dropped the line, including me. So it's a question of how many will pick up the sub versus how many will drop out entirely, and will that be enough to overcome the lost DOS sales.

  13. #38
    Quester JonWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    14,142
    Guys - keep the talk about the questions and answers and not other forum members, please.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

  14. #39
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,764
    Quote Originally Posted by geooco View Post
    Only two sites responding so far?
    I know, right? Some sites only have Batman 66' questions.

    I do think some websites might be burned out from trying to gleam some nugget of information from Mattel, which does happen, but rarely. Itsalltrue, Preternia and some of the others might get back into asking questions after the SDCC reveals or perhaps if the Grayskull door is fixed. Then again, we might get some new questions sooner since Rokkon and Stonedar and the Mini-Masters have just been revealed right after these Q&As went up.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

  15. #40
    Heroic Warrior Dr Kain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Posts
    5,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    No, I have to agree, there is nothing rude or snarky about any of those answers.
    Then I'm sorry for you.

    Nevertheless, I am done. My subs have been canceled. Most of my collection has been sold off. Their SDCC crap is just that, crap. And once they announce that DC Limited to Batman has been canceled, it is good bye Mattel.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

  16. #41
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bremerton, WA
    Posts
    1,702
    I think Fang Man was produced in lower numbers because Mattel didn't want to be stuck with a large number of figures they potentially couldn't sell. I think some of the more popular vintage figures ala Snake Face will continue to have DOS available, while the more obscure ones less so.
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

  17. #42
    Heroic Warrior No-Ah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,771
    Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    Okay, They have been marked.

    However, you may be incorrect. Sub Only would mean new Subbers. Having a single figures doesn't guarantee a new customer except for that one purchase. A sub guarantees a customer for 12 months.
    Having a sub does NOT guarantee a customer for 12 months. There are plenty of ways to get out of a sub if you're not satisfied.

    Sub only wouldn't guarantee many new subbers. Even if they got the cherry pickers in, who is to say that they would make up for losing ALL new customers for a year? I know most people on this board have been here since the start, and maybe even collected 200X before the MOTUC line, but I don't think those customers are the majority. The line loses and gains new customers every month. If you stop gaining new customers for a year, then 12 months later you will have a smaller group to try and sell the new year to. It's a bad situation. It's how you kill a line.

  18. #43
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sanford, FL
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Mattel cares about money. If MOTU was as big as it was in the 80's, then the Digital River problems would have been solved immediately. Unfortunately, the brand hasn't been relevant to the casual public in a decade. Mattel did try to do this on their own back in 2002, but they themselves screwed that effort up and it failed at retail, killing off everything else associated with it. It'll take a new movie for MOTU to regain prominence.

    I do think Mattel is keeping the MOTU brand alive because of it's potential to rival the Transformers brand, another 80's kids' toyline. All of those kids are now adults with disposable incomes or families of their own. Those adults could bring their kids over to MOTU if the brand is still around. All it would take is for MOTU to return in a huge way.

    MOTU is taking baby steps.
    Definitely. Mattel cares first about making a profit for its shareholders (that's the job of a corporation, BTW), and brands are a means to that end. I think there is a love for MOTU among many at Mattel, and there is the sense that "Hey, it once ruled the toy aisles, we just need to figure out how we can make it happen again."

    The issue, I think, is that Mattel doesn't know WHAT to do with Masters. Cater only to adults or children as well? Load up with main-character variants or not? Make some broader media attempts or not.

    If we ever get a halfway decent movie, He-Man will be a pop culture force again. It doesn't have to be a great movie, just a relatively fun popcorn flick that the public will flock to in droves. I hope they don't do it like they did Transformers, but no one can deny that the Transformers movies have benefitted all elements of that franchise. Hopefully, Matty will still cater to adult collectors even if most of their sales are kid-driven again. Hasbro does it. But it's clear they do a far better job with the collector market than Mattel does.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

    Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

  19. #44
    Alcala Idolator Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,738
    Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    But were they talking about mini comic characters or the new series from DC characters or just any of the comics in general? I would guess Despara would have more support than the Demons?
    I think he's talking about the comics in general.
    Besides, the green Masks of Power demon did rather well in the fan's choice poll.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

    http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

  20. #45
    Ravage ThunderCat blackiecats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,028
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see 2014 go Sub-Only... or at least part of it (like maybe the quarterly items if there are any; and I'm guessing there will be... ).

    It would actually be smart... it would get e-tailers to buy up subs again... and collectors might buy an extra sub and sell off what they don't need from it.
    I don't like that idea so much... I really don't need any of the other horses and ESPECIALLY not the variants of them! Yet, I'd want Modulok if he ends up as a quarterly item. I just hope Toyguru learns from the FFM and doesn't add expensive beasts, giants, vehicles and obscure 3-packs in the 2014 sub

    Also why no Scorpia on your want list?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    Who knows. I won't be surprised if DOS is killed at SDCC. That will be a sad day if it happens.
    Definately as how do you pick up extras then? I'd like to get an extra Scorpia and Madame Razz, but not enough to buy a second sub I guess folks will have to look towards BBTS etc... for extras of the popular characters.
    8 figures I still need: 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Filmation Tung Lashor, 6/Saurod, 5/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 4/Peekablue, 3/Hunga the Harpy, 2/Filmation Clawful, 1/Dylamug.

  21. #46
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    125
    If they kill off day of sales....I will be done...I can't afford a subcription. I will also call my bank and get a new debit card...and they can stick there castle greyskulls that I reserved where the sun does not shine....promise!

  22. #47
    Evil Warrior jibernish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    845
    Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Definitely. Mattel cares first about making a profit for its shareholders (that's the job of a corporation, BTW), and brands are a means to that end. I think there is a love for MOTU among many at Mattel, and there is the sense that "Hey, it once ruled the toy aisles, we just need to figure out how we can make it happen again."

    The issue, I think, is that Mattel doesn't know WHAT to do with Masters. Cater only to adults or children as well? Load up with main-character variants or not? Make some broader media attempts or not.

    If we ever get a halfway decent movie, He-Man will be a pop culture force again. It doesn't have to be a great movie, just a relatively fun popcorn flick that the public will flock to in droves. I hope they don't do it like they did Transformers, but no one can deny that the Transformers movies have benefitted all elements of that franchise. Hopefully, Matty will still cater to adult collectors even if most of their sales are kid-driven again. Hasbro does it. But it's clear they do a far better job with the collector market than Mattel does.
    Seeing what Mattel is allowing with these DC comics, and especially this new issue #4 look gives me no hope that the movie won't be Bayformerized like the Transformers were.

    And what you're saying about corp's being in business to make a profit is true. The problem is that when the product you're selling is something creative like MOTU, you can't treat it like a gallon of milk. Mattel's only vision for MOTU is to make money, however they can. And they will water that gallon of milk down if it will increase their profits. They'll drug the cows, stick them in a tiny pen, and do whatever else is necessary to get as many people to buy that gallon of milk as they can. And if that means switching to chocolate milk (or football He-man), they'll do that too. Who cares about history, it's all about the money. For MOTU to thrive again, they either need to get lucky, or they need someone with a vision for the property in charge. TG is just a businessman, not a creative professional.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    Definately as how do you pick up extras then? I'd like to get an extra Scorpia and Madame Razz, but not enough to buy a second sub I guess folks will have to look towards BBTS etc... for extras of the popular characters.
    "While we'd love to cater our Classics to every individual He-fan and She-raver, we can't satisfy everyone's personal collecting preferences. If you want Scorpia and Madame Razz, the best thing to do is to buy a subscription."

    I'm being sarcastic here. It is too bad. So what'll happen is that people will have to go to the secondary market to buy the figures they want. The lesser demanded figures will be exactly what killed the 200x line - peg warmers. Doesn't Mattel learn from the past - you can't force unwanted figures down people's throats if you want the line to continue. Hopefully they won't kill DOS, but I bet there are more figures that don't get DOS than this year no matter what happens. I'd say at least 4 of the monthlies get no DOS.

  23. #48
    Sorcerer of Zalesia bcrduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    10,139
    To those who wouldn't want to subscribe, maybe team up with someone and split the figures.

    Or team up with someone who may not want all of their second or third sub and buy their extras.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

  24. #49
    Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,157
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see 2014 go Sub-Only... or at least part of it (like maybe the quarterly items if there are any; and I'm guessing there will be... ).
    Mmmm..... so we might see quaterly items in 2014... This could be a way of giving fans a 30$ figure ( Granita! Please!!!!!) or a few more beasts (like Storm, Clawdeen, Battle Lion or Stridor...) or a small friends multipack (Kowl, Lookee or the Twiggets...). Very interesting!
    20 Most needed characters before MOTUC ends...

    Heroic: Lizard Man / King Miro / Hawke / Dakon
    Evil: Evilseed
    POP: Angella / King Micah / General Sunder/ Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Vultak / Hunga / Prahvus
    POG: Veena
    SnakeMen: Tung Lashor / Sssqueeze
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Darius / Sebrian

  25. #50
    Heroic Warrior Jinxieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Longview, WA
    Posts
    755
    Or sub up and sell the extra figures. With sub only there will be a strong secondary market, even for "less popular" characters. Especially the next two years when the line will be full of vintage from MOTU, POP, and NA.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •