Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motu Forum Role Playing?

Motu Forum Role Playing?

I'm still pretty new to the forums and I've been curious if there is a MOTU Role Playing community here. Is there? Was there? Is there just no interest in something like that form the community at large?

Even if no one is interested in it, has there evervbeen any talk of something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Genyosha View Post
    Even if no one is interested in it, has there evervbeen any talk of something like this?
    not as far as I am aware, no there hasn't
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    Hey Genyosha! Actually, there was one of these that I was a part of for quite a while. A few of us from the .Org started up a little forum elsewhere for that specific purpose. We got quite a few posts under our belts before people started dropping out and it slowly ground to a halt.

I was playing Trap Jaw for the most part, but I had taken over Skeletor by the end of it because we lost the guy playing him, lol. I was playing Rattlor at one point and I think I had a heroic character or two as well, but we seemed to mostly focus on the villains, hehe. A Snake Mountain soap opera if you will.

There was a section dedicated to each faction to start out and the plan was to intertwine them as the story progressed, but we never got to that point.

We posted bios for each character we were playing and even had special post signatures made for our main characters.

It was a grand old time, while it lasted and I'd love to do it again, because I still actively play forum-based RPs, it's just that no-one in my current group is really into MOTU.

Would anyone be keen to get one of these going?
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

That is great to hear. I would like to find a creative writing outlet for MOTU / POP / NA that is community based. I would actually like to compile a list of species and power sources that would help everyone build custom new characters to play / write about and not use known characters.

That's definitely another route one could go. I've actually started on a similar project myself, but I've only fleshed out a few species so far. I've also attempted to create some character classes, which is interesting, given the weird and wonderful unique nature of most MOTU characters. What I've done has been based mainly on 200X continuity.

I haven't been using any particular system though, more just focusing on descriptions so the players wouldn't be too bored or limited by rules and stats. My original intent was to introduce my non-fan friends to the setting by presenting them with a well thought-out guide. It would be easier though with people who already know what I'm babbling on about, haha.

I agree with you about rules for these things, you don't want to make participants feel trapped.

I would like to see PoP, NA, MOTU, Filmation, mini-comic , 200x fans ( sorry if I missed someone) all have a way to bring their vision into play. The setting could be Preternia or something… where all of the players are good and evil people selected to stop some universe destroying evil.

I think people could create a character however they want using a simple system and develop a gimmick for their character. I'm not a lore master so it would take a group effort to add the options to this formula..

Character

Orgin - Galactic, Eternia, Etheria ( i'm sure there could be more options and sub options)

Species - I say all known species are an option.

Gimmick - ( whatever the player wants really. Add a few extra weapons as though it was a toy figure)

Power / Influence - ( Let someone choose between a mount, henchman, vehicle, or )

Would it have to be limited to known species? What if, for example, I wanted to play as my own character Wolfsfang who is certainly not from any species currently found in any official version of MOTU?

I think I would also have the rule that you can't be a known character, because most people will want to be He-Man and whoever gets that role will have the advantage because...well because they are He-Man.

Now me, MegaGearMax and (I think) Ridureyu were actually discussing doing a possible MOTU D&D game using one of those free online sites for table top RPGs with that very rule that you have to be a new character. Naturally the GM would control the known characters like He-Man and Skeletor and your characters would interact with them all the time. The major issue would really be doing the STATS for the characters.

Creating your own should always be encouraged. Sorry, I should have mentioned that from the start. I wouldn't worry about stats for the forum rp as much as just power boundaries. I am very interested in an actual d&D style Motu rulebook but the rp we would do on the forum should be much more free form.

Please make addendum's to the formula I posted.

I agree with you about rules for these things, you don't want to make participants feel trapped.

I would like to see PoP, NA, MOTU, Filmation, mini-comic , 200x fans ( sorry if I missed someone) all have a way to bring their vision into play. The setting could be Preternia or something… where all of the players are good and evil people selected to stop some universe destroying evil.

I think people could create a character however they want using a simple system and develop a gimmick for their character. I'm not a lore master so it would take a group effort to add the options to this formula..

Character

Orgin - Galactic, Eternia, Etheria ( i'm sure there could be more options and sub options)

Species - I say all known species are an option.

Gimmick - ( whatever the player wants really. Add a few extra weapons as though it was a toy figure)

Power / Influence - ( Let someone choose between a mount, henchman, vehicle, or )
    In most of the play-by-post forum RPs I've partaken in there's been a "no godmoding" rule that tends to keep characters fairly reasonable as far as powers are concerned. Just depends on the maturity level of the players overall, really.

I quite like the little character sheet you have going there, Genyosha. Keeping it fairly simple is a good option. You could also go into depth though with things like real names; gender; age; occupation; related characters; affiliations; appearance; source of powers; vulnerabilities; skills; equipment and the BIG ones, personality and history.

Personally, I like including details like that, but they may be daunting for inexperienced players.

Preternia sounds like a great idea for a setting. You've got a good few factions to choose from and freedom in regards to timeline issues as this era is fairly uncluttered as compared to the days of He-Man and Skeletor. I'd totally be up for this if we can get a group going.

Quote Originally Posted by HordeMonkey View Post
    Preternia sounds like a great idea for a setting. You've got a good few factions to choose from and freedom in regards to timeline issues as this era is fairly uncluttered as compared to the days of He-Man and Skeletor. I'd totally be up for this if we can get a group going.
    well if we do ever get one going this is my guy

Name: WOLFSFANG

Species: Lupian

Appearance: Bipedal Wolf with brown fur and red eyes. Wears red and blue armor and a pair of gauntlets.

Affiliations: Lupians, Lupius (the Wolf God), Heroes

Source of Powers: Natural gifts enhanced by the magical “Wolf Moon Gauntlets”

Skills: Enhanced strength, speed and agility. Healing factor, high tolerance to pain.

Vulnerabilities: He becomes much weaker without his Gauntlets, though he was still strong enough to be made the Lupian champion before he even got them. Just because he is a fast healer doesn't mean grievous wounds can't critically injure or kill him.

Equipment: Wolf-Moon Gauntlets.

Personality: Wild, unpredicatble and impulsive but also very kind and fun to hang around preferring not to take life too seriously.

History: Wolfsfang is the chosen champion of the Lupian race and thus was blessed by their god Lupius and gifted with the Wolf-Moon Gauntlets to enhance the natural abilities that all Lupians are born with. It is even believed by many that he is actually the demi-god son of Lupius though that has never been confirmed.

- This is the original Wolfsfang from Preternia and is not to be confused with the character of the same name from present day Eternia who is a human who turns into Wolfsfang by putting on his gauntlets (and who also happens to be the reincarnation of Wolfsfang which is how the gauntlets can change him)
    Last edited by wolfsfang; May 11, 2014 at 02:29pm.

This sounds pretty interesting. I've done a bunch of rping in the past, though never in this genre. I like the idea of original characters over already existing characters and preternia sounds like a great setting, count me in.

I'm glad you folks are taking to Preternia. My reasoning is so that we have a place rich in magic and has a point that is relatively "untouched".

I don't want to step on any lore. I would like to see this whole thing a chapter in history that has been erased or even forgotten. I think we can do this without using any of the known characters as tempting or even innocent as it would be. But on that same note, I'm not opposed to seeing affiliations with known factions like the Horde, Snake-men, or possibly a subject of King Grayskull and many others as long as the created character isn't constantly referencing or dependent upon "known" characters. How do you all feel about the faction part?

I think you would need to use some known characters and factions just to help tie it to MOTU, otherwise it may as well be set on some totally new world. For example one part of the game could involve fighting a Horde raiding party. Now it might be that none of the Horde members are known ones like Mantenna or Leech (or whoever) and are instead completely new ones, but they are still part of the evil horde and may even reference Hordak or Horde Prime.
    Last edited by wolfsfang; May 11, 2014 at 05:39pm.

I think what wolfsfang is saying basically ties into that faction system, which I think is a good idea and ties into the MOTU world. Known factions and locations all help tie the game into the universe we want to set it in.

First things first, three cheers for Wolfsgang, the first official character of this new campaign!

I follow the line of thinking about a character that ties it all together for legitimacy. I can get on board with this. I'm still a bit of a noob around here and I don't want to be presumptuous about the lore sometimes. So, thanks for the honest input. I think we may be able to build something here.

My suggestions would be One or several of the following..

Eldor - because of magic stuff

Cosmic Enforcer Character time appropriate

Scrollos

Wow, things have been happening in here! Sorry, I kind of forgot to check back with you guys.

I believe both Zodac and Zodak were around at the time, though Zodak would still have been in training, if I'm remembering my MOTUC bios right. That could work if we wanted a central "quest-giver", who could dole out coinciding tasks to members of different factions (good and evil alike) in order to preserve cosmic balance.

Thus, faction-wise, we could probably support characters from the Free People of Eternia (King Grayskull's lot), the Snakemen and the Horde as well as the unaffiliated kingdoms of Eternia, like the spelians and quadians. Perhaps even Anwat Gar? Of course there's always room for original creations in the mix. Imagination is what MOTU is about!

At any rate, if they all receive the same, or similar quests with coinciding goals that match their strengths, they could be forced to work together to prevent some larger catastrophe without the major leaders of each faction finding out. So a covert mission of sorts with the prospect of much character conflict and development.

How does that sound, plot-wise, to you guys?

Widget
    I've never played RP games, so how would you play? Like D&D? With die rolls, charts, storytelling? Just curious.

Typically with forum-based play-by-post RPs, it's done purely from a creative writing standpoint following common sense rules of engagement like "no auto-hitting", "no godmoding" etc. Very simple rules to follow which become easier to gauge as you become more experienced.

For example:

"X hits Y in the face" is typically not an acceptable thing to do, but "X swings his fist wildly, aiming to hit Y in the face" is totally cool, because it gives Y a chance to react by dodging or just letting the blow hit where it was intended. Combat in these sorts of RPs is less stats and die rolls and more of a literary dance.

Other things like, "X pats Y on the back" is generally fine, unless Y would take exception to the friendly gesture. It's all about knowing the characters and knowing the players. The best RPing usually comes out of groups who have known each other for years and know each others preferences and play styles.

Unless you're the GM, in which case you can typically do what you want, because you're guiding the story. But it is nice not to "railroad" players too much and to give them a bit of freedom. Who knows? They might surprise you and end up pushing the story in an even better direction!

Of course, some people do play these with tabletop rulesets and die, but I find the whole process boring and needlessly complex. I'd much rather just go with the flow!

HordeMonkey, i'm with you. I think a lot of us are really on the same page here. We don't need any tabletop rules for this. If it goes well and some people want a more structured game, a mission or quest using those rules can be made. I myself am not interested in rolls and stats for this.

Rayd, yes it's just creative writing done mutually where all of our efforts further a particular plot.

The first thread we will have going will be the introduction thread where we all respond to the written prompt that will bring the character into this world / situation. This thread will only require one post per character as it is simply an introduction for the viewing pleasure of the community. This thread will have a few personality and combat prompts that will only be known by the readers but not the other characters.

The next threads we'll put forth will be the first conflict / quest / mission. We could make two possible missions for people to choose from and ask that they stick with that thread. In these threads, you have the option of picking up where someone leaves off and will wait for about two posts before you post again(depending on number of participants). These threads will be the biggest learning tools.

Generally, players can be subversive as long as they are not outright killing the quest characters / NPCs. The only real rules is to not kill these characters or attempt to kill player characters ( No PVP, for now). You can attempt to kill an Quest Giving NPC but you have to write how they defeat you. You can play / write your character as unwilling to be apart of this and searching for a way out as long as you follow the prompts and don't just write your character doing their own thing ( Eventually, I'd like to promote this kind of individuality in some form but just wait.)
    Last edited by Genyosha; May 20, 2014 at 01:26pm.

I tried to make one on He-Man.us (Lounge Grayskull), but not enough people wanted to keep playing.

I even made digital dice to make it easier for the person running the Game (Gamemaster).

HordeMonkey, I want to start with a more powerful Cosmic character so we can easily have a portal that brings a new character to a nexus type place to start. Zodac is a good pick because we need extreme neutrality.

I want to give players the chance to really make a character based on the lore of their choice and we can blanket it under certain banners.

The time period will be Preternia but we want to usher in all of MOTU's fans.

Character Region > Character Example > Property origin

Horde Rebellion Character - pulled from a world where the Horde rules ex. Bow, Seahawk, ( fans of Filmation, Pop)

Etherian Character- A character who resides on Etheria ex. Glimmer, Madam Razz. ( fans ofFilmation, PoP)

Eternian Character- A character from Eternia ex. Mossman, Kittrina, Clawful, Ram-Man, Scareglow ( fans of mini-comics, Filmation, 200x, vintage )

Horde Character - An agent, affiliate, sympathizer of the Horde ex. Modulok, Force Captain Adora, Grizzlor ( fans of Filmation, 200x, vintage)

Galactic Character - a character from far reaches of the galaxy ex. Flogg, Drissi, Huntara ( fans of PoP, filmation, 200x, vintage, NA)

Snake-Men Character - A character that is a Snake-man ex. Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Lady Slither ( fans of 200x, vintage, mini-comics, MOTUC)

Dimension Character - A character who comes from a strange dimension ex. Plundor….oh, and Orko ( Filmation fans….)

This is not an exact science, I'm just charting a way for all of the fans to feel like they can express themselves in this story-game. If I missed something please, add to it.

He-Bro,

I guess when we start these things we have to know that there are times they taper off. It happens to the best of games. If this takes off I'd like for it to be so easy step in and out of that at any time two or twenty people are participating.

The first thread we will have going will be the introduction thread where we all respond to the written prompt that will bring the character into this world / situation. This thread will only require one post per character as it is simply an introduction for the viewing pleasure of the community. This thread will have a few personality and combat prompts that will only be known by the readers but not the other characters.

The next threads we'll put forth will be the first conflict / quest / mission. We could make two possible missions for people to choose from and ask that they stick with that thread. In these threads, you have the option of picking up where someone leaves off and will wait for about two posts before you post again(depending on number of participants). These threads will be the biggest learning tools.
    I think it would be beneficial to keep the number of separate threads to a minimum, unless we start up a dedicated forum for this. Past experience tells me that we probably won't have more than 5 or 6 people for the long term, so the sooner we can bring everyone together and begin the main plot the better. The problem with forum RPs is that the pace is only as fast as everyone can realistically post, given real life commitments (which can be pretty slow, especially when you want to move on to the next scene).

I suggest one thread for planning and posting character bios and one thread for actually playing.

I want to give players the chance to really make a character based on the lore of their choice and we can blanket it under certain banners.

The time period will be Preternia but we want to usher in all of MOTU's fans.

Character Region > Character Example > Property origin

Horde Rebellion Character - pulled from a world where the Horde rules ex. Bow, Seahawk, ( fans of Filmation, Pop)

Etherian Character- A character who resides on Etheria ex. Glimmer, Madam Razz. ( fans ofFilmation, PoP)

Eternian Character- A character from Eternia ex. Mossman, Kittrina, Clawful, Ram-Man, Scareglow ( fans of mini-comics, Filmation, 200x, vintage )

Horde Character - An agent, affiliate, sympathizer of the Horde ex. Modulok, Force Captain Adora, Grizzlor ( fans of Filmation, 200x, vintage)

Galactic Character - a character from far reaches of the galaxy ex. Flogg, Drissi, Huntara ( fans of PoP, filmation, 200x, vintage, NA)

Snake-Men Character - A character that is a Snake-man ex. Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Lady Slither ( fans of 200x, vintage, mini-comics, MOTUC)

Dimension Character - A character who comes from a strange dimension ex. Plundor….oh, and Orko ( Filmation fans….)

This is not an exact science, I'm just charting a way for all of the fans to feel like they can express themselves in this story-game. If I missed something please, add to it.
    Oh certainly! By no means do we want to limit the creativity of the players! As long as we're clear with people that we'll be playing as fan-created characters and not official ones.

I think it would be easier to just start one (in a new thread) and that way ppl may get a better idea of what you mean and may even join in.