Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bravestarr Appreciation Thread

Bravestarr Appreciation Thread

I've been watching Bravestarr and honestly, I can't believe how much fun this cartoon was. I was never a fan of Western material, however the sci-fi of aspect of Bravestarr made it something that kept my interest, even if sometimes characters abilities (Cactus Head's blasters summoning creatures) made no sense.

The character designs look so much like FIlmation's Ghostbusters (which I didn't always enjoy), but it isn't enough to distract from the fact that this is a great cartoon. Some characters were just too awesome. If MOTU had the animation that Bravestarr had, it would have held up so much better. The animation is really smooth, and the special effects great, with exciting lighting effects.

The voice acting is great too. I really love the characters, Bravestarr, 30-30, they're superior to a lot of 80s cartoons (especially Thundercats). The writing was surprisingly more adult than MOTU. While there was still camp, and Deputy Fuzz, Bravestarr was actually allowed to get angry. Guns actually hurt people. Characters suffered broken bones, injury that put them in hospitals, and threats were made at the end of rifle barrels. You just didn't get that with MOTU.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; April 10, 2010 at 12:05am.

Bravestarr is one of those shows I wasn't really into as a kid, but got into later. I bought both volume sets and the movie/best of set that BCI released.

I never even heard of the show until I was an adult. I've only seen two episodes, but they were really good. If I had discovered this show when I was ten, I would have been crazy about it.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

I knew of the toys but I don't remember the cartoon at all. They didn't even play the theatrical movie near me and I live right outside Chicago. I know they're out of print, but I plan to track down the DVDs to watch eventually. I love westerns and don't mind the sci-fi aspect either.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

I'm actually surprised that some of you didn't hear of it as a child. During its hay day, my local toy store (the only one in my town of about 6'000) was fully stocked with Bravestarr merchandise. All the figures, even a few Fort Keriums. I still remember seeing them on the shelves along with MOTU and Transformers.

Even though I was living in a small town in Atlantic Canada, with no Wal-Mart or K-Mart for hundreds of miles, we sure had no shortage of awesome toys.

I've been falling in love with this cartoon all over again. Hoping some other Bravestarr fans come out and keep this thread going. There are even some great Bravestarr pieces on DA

Bravestarr by ~Fpeniche on deviantART

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    I like it since I was a kid.

Loved Bravestarr as a kid, love it even more today. not as much as I loved or love MOTU, but if I were to REALLY break it down, I'd probably put bravestarr in 3rd behind batman as far as favourite properties go.

One of these days Im going to compile a complete collection of the toys. I collected them as a kid, but it came out as I was getting older and I wasn't 100% on getting the stage coach and fort kerium. I got the figures though, I had Bravestarr, Tex Hex, Thunderstick, fuzz, scuzz, handlebar and sandstorm. now all I can find in the house is handlebar.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I love Bravestarr as a kid I didn't get to see much of it just a handful of episodes but it was enough for me to become interested in it. The characters are incredible and the stories were among some of the best. As an adult I have learned I love it more cause some of those episodes were incredible in just how real they were. "The Price" is an episode I always show my friends who have never heard of Bravestarr. They are shocked and amazed usually at the very difficult lesson shown in. I still have to wonder why this episode wasn't nominated for something.
    Mattel I demand the following:

Spinwit,Spinnerella, The Scientists, Rio Blast, Mara, Crita, Kayo, Mermista,

My Facebook, check it out!

I also love Bravestarr!!! I have the show and all the toys and there awesome. I would love Mattel to put a few figures back out. The world needs Cactus Head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amazing show!!!!! I'm just watching all the episodes right now in my dvd player!!! the price its a very good episode........strenght of the bear aka the power within its also a good one.........and generally all this sci-fi mixed with wester theme it makes this show remarkable. Probably one of the best animated shows of my childhood ........

I'd love see bravestarr or 30/30 in the motuc line ....... or some kind of cross over with MOTU ....... who knows...
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."

Quote Originally Posted by triklops1 View Post
    I'd love see bravestarr or 30/30 in the motuc line ....... or some kind of cross over with MOTU ....... who knows...
    It would be pretty awesome to have Bravestarr and 30/30 displayed next to He-Man and BC ala MOTUC. Heck, that is something I'd invest money in... I mean, we got Mo-Larr.

Heh, think if we kick up enough of a fuss it will happen?

I too am surprised that this cartoon didn't win some sort of award for animation or story. Were there just none around at the time? On the other hand, lets face it, while television was saturated with cartoons in the 80s, I doubt they were take very seriously as anything more than childrens entertainment.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; April 10, 2010 at 04:39pm.

Bravestarr was trully one of the best cartoons Filmation ever did.
    Коможедапрочитанекапрочита:овимсајтомуправљајулуда циопседнутиконтролом.Јебаоихмателијебаоихскот .

I loved Bravestarr as a kid too. Got both seasons on DVD and the movie! Join the Bravestarr group I created on this forum that we get more fans to connect with each other as well. The animation was great in Bravestarr and as Sky Breaker said Bravestarr was allowed to get angry, guns hurt people etc. You didn't see much of that in other cartoons back then. I never got into the toys though as a kid since they weren't the same size as MOTU so I didn't like that fact. There was one episode though were they made a reference to He-Man or Eternia but I can't remember which one and the forums on www.bravestarr.org are closed for some reason right now so I can't pull out the info from there either... It would be cool if they made MOTUC versions of Bravestarr as well!
    "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Heb 11:1 (NIV)

I was never into Bravestarr, probably because I only ever saw it on one cable channel, without subtitles and since I was about 8 at the time and my English skills were 0, it was kind of hard to know, what was happening besides the action.

I saw the movie on Youtube just recently and I liked it.

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

I used to watch it. I thought .30-30 was cool.

i had some of the toys when i was a kid and enjoyed playing with them. i bought the best of dvd set when it came out. for some reason i just can't get into it. i try and watch the movie but just end up turning it off 10-15 minutes in.

Although I my handle here used to be Leech, Stampede has always been my online name. In tribute to the great cybernetic bull-demon. One of my favourite bad guys.

Also love the theme, the sequence and the music and the sci-fi western genre combination is handled better in Bravestarr than anywhere I've seen before.

When I used to run a Star Wars rpg, I sent my group to a planet based very much on New Texas, it was one of the best campaigns we had.
    Always looking for new clients!

My eBay feedback

My Org Feedback

Chris here...

I was a huge BraveStarr fan when I was a kid, and am probably an even bigger fan now as an adult - IMO it's one of the most beautifully-written cartoons of its genre, it really paved the way for a more mature type of storytelling that would make its way into animated series in the 1990s!

I own all of the BraveStarr DVDs put out by BCI, it's amazing to have the whole series in such beautiful quality!

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

Fidex
    I loved / love bravestarr. For some reason I only saw this cartoon at a friends house, and never saw the toys in toystores even though this friend had a few figures which I totally loved.
    Now 20 years later, I just received Marshall, Tex and Handle Bar from a dutch auction site in pretty good condition. Finally I have my own marshall now, after all these years! Bravestarr is awesome.

Heroic Warrior Hobby One Kenobi's Avatar
    Hated this show as a kid it was the only one of the space cowboy trilogy of shows I didn't like. But after my son saw the first vol. in the store I bought & watched it & now I really like the show. Here's hoping that Mill Creek re-releases this show as they have been doing with the rest of the BCI catalog.
    www.ioffer.com

Home of many hard to find classic 80's toons, even though they might be bootlegs.

Love Bravestarr, searched for years for a full set of the show on any media possible and was ecstatic when BCI put it out.

I have art cells and one day I hope to get the toys (never ever was able to get any)

Like Hobby One Kenobi said I hope Mill Creek re-releases them (even if its just the movie) because the show is one of the best Filmation made.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Mill Creek can not currently release any of the Filmation titles.

The deal with BCI/Navarre has expired, and the library has been sold to a new entity in the meantime.

Mill Creek is expanding their business by sublicensing content at a very discounted price from companies that have already put out the material at retail. The Mattel He-Man, The Hearst library (Defenders of the Earth, Prince Valiant), The Crown Library, FreMantle game shows, Ultraman and other giant robot shows and Sonny Chiba films from BCI (through parent company Navarre). They are doing the same thing with the Stephen J Cannel shows and a few other properties from other studios.

But Classic Media is not going to license out the Filmation properties to a budget company at a super discounted price considering the amount of money they just paid to purchase it.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    But Classic Media is not going to license out the Filmation properties to a budget company at a super discounted price considering the amount of money they just paid to purchase it.
    I just wonder how much the DVD rights are worth right now for the Filmation shows?.... the definitive collections are already out and most folks own them.

I'd assume the only value left is broadcast rights and any new media and apparel.
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Peekablue, 5/Hunga the Harpy, 4/Sssqueeze, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by triklops1 View Post

I don't see why not they were both Mattel properties heck they could combine the two & make a new background/bio for Rio Blast that might make sense (cowboy on a fantasy world).

While Matty were on the space cowboy vibe, a set of Galaxy Rangers would be awesome too