Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: New He-Man costume to debut in issue 4 of the comic (SPOILERS)

Lucas had a strong vision and Darth Vader is still Darth Vader. His appearance was only tweaked for Episode 3. What Lucas did when he wanted to change things was he added new characters. He had a direction and he went in that direction. It changed some, but didn't take any 180's. I'm not taking a long drive with someone if they keep changing course every half-hour, if they don't know where we're going.

I'm proposing it might be a way to go. I think these properties do change a lot in comics and movies, but they don't have to. If you have a strong, cohesive vision from the outset, you don't have to flip flop all over the place. Lucas, and I'm not a fan of the guys recent movies, but he did have a singular, cohesive vision. He was a storyteller and steward of a mythos. Toys and comics and all that came later. With Hasbro and Mattel, their strength, and first priority, is making toys. The stories and movies and comics come after. So the fact that they change things so often is understandable - they just want the money to keep rolling in. They don't really care all that much about the characters adn mythos like Lucas did. Lucas kept it focused, kept it together, and stable for over twenty years adn has outperformed any of the other properties. People will stay interested in a property if there is a vision they can believe in, that's my theory.

Mattel has no vision. And Hasbro doesn't really either.

Geoff Johns every issue would open with a more or less nameless Cosmic enforcer or elite eternian guard dying.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

He-Man in pants doesn't bother me. In fact, it always bugged me that He-Man and Teela would show up inappropriately dressed during visits to Eternia's chillier climes. I'm willing to suspend disbelief and buy into a tale about a prince who magically transforms into a barbarian to battle a guy with a floating skull for a head. But wearing furry shorts and a metal harness in sub-zero temperatures? With this I take issue. So maybe it's a brisk day on the battlefield when the Power of Grayskull dresses He-Man up in this new look.

I would like to point out that He-Man can look freakin' awesome in pants while retaining his iconic vibe. Stjepan Sejic knocked it out of the park with this interpretation:

image.jpg

THAT is still He-Man to me. Which brings me to point: Mattel and DC want He-Man and MOTU to catch on with an audience that is not US. We take a half-naked He-Man in furry shorts seriously and pay attention to the story and the adventure of MOTU. Outside of our community, they kind of make fun of the furry shorts and bare chest. To reignite He-Man's pop icon status into a multi-media property, the big boys at Mattel believe this kind of new look is the first step of that process. So if this makeover chaps your hide, I'm going to bet you'll probably have a stroke when we get a glimpse of his eventual movie costume.

Overall, I'm down with a style change here and there. Change is inevitable, especially when corporate tomfoolery is at work behind the scenes. I'm just pleased as punch to read a new Masters comic every month. And I read it pants-less. Take that, Mattel.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoJo76 View Post
    He-Man in pants doesn't bother me. In fact, it always bugged me that He-Man and Teela would show up inappropriately dressed during visits to Eternia's chillier climes. I'm willing to suspend disbelief and buy into a tale about a prince who magically transforms into a barbarian to battle a guy with a floating skull for a head. But wearing furry shorts and a metal harness in sub-zero temperatures? With this I take issue. .
    Regular He-man, I never had an issue with. And frankly grey vest and fuzzy shorts will always be MY he-man.

BATTLE ARMOR he-man on the other hand annoyed the HECK out of me. Once you have determined that YES, you are vulnerable and should be better protected.. You should NOT leave the legs and arms uncovered. i always thought that looked ridiculousl.

Frankly, I think the new suit looks better ten the snake armor He-man... and tht was 'mostly pants' too... but I really HATED that look so it's not QUITE a high bar to pass

I would like to point out that He-Man can look freakin' awesome in pants while retaining his iconic vibe. Stjepan Sejic knocked it out of the park with this interpretation:

image.jpg

THAT is still He-Man to me.
    I don't think He-Man is wearing pants in that picture, it's just not finished yet.

However, I would be over the moon if Stjepan's designs were used for the new comic book or movie adaptation. His vision captures the world of Eternia brilliantly.

He-Man appears to wear pants in this one, though:

So if this makeover chaps your hide, I'm going to bet you'll probably have a stroke when we get a glimpse of his eventual movie costume.
    The '87 movie did a pretty good job on He-Man's costume and didn't need pants (let alone borrowing a more successful superhero's armour) in order to make He-Man look cool.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    I don't think He-Man is wearing pants in that picture, it's just not finished yet.

However, I would be over the moon if Stjepan's designs were used for the new comic book or movie adaptation. His vision captures the world of Eternia brilliantly.
    Agreed. The guy is brilliant. Production designers take note!

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    The '87 movie did a pretty good job on He-Man's costume and didn't need pants (let alone borrowing a more successful superhero's armour) in order to make He-Man look cool.
    Costume design was definitely one if the better parts of the '87 movie.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Nebezial/Stjepan Sejic's designs are amazing, as is his art (I love everything MOTU and PoP he draws)...but I still prefer He-Man without pants. He's a barbarian and the most powerful man in the universe. He doesn't need knight armour on his legs for battle. It also seems weird, if you add the knight armour on his legs, that his chest and arms are completely bare. It's unbalanced. Then you look at Teela and She-Ra and they have naked legs. Leg armour also restricts movement and slows you down. He-Man needs to be as quick and nimble as possible with all the evil out their on Eternia.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I really like this concept.

He-Man_concept_zps98b02d5b.jpg

Star Wars: The Force Unleased version of He-man. lol

Actually it's a pretty good design imo. Could use a few tweeks though. Give him longer hair like He-man in the 200X toon, give the harness four straps like the top strap and I think you'd be halfway there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.