Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New He-Man costume to debut in issue 4 of the comic (SPOILERS)

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    I don’t get much of a feeling that this is He-Man. Instead, I see He-Boy a youthful boy who is impetuous, undisciplined and unlikely to successfully lead the Eternian people to freedom.

If this is the artists/writers intention then I’m game to see the character develop into a man as he battles the Horde over time. He-Boy though does need a helmet to protect his head if all that new armour is to make any sense.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

Not a fan of the design aside from the sword.

I absolutely love this. This is the type of design that will appeal to comic book fans who may not have been interested in MOTU before. Hopefully the new #1 sold over 25,000 and the subsequent issues can maintain sales of around 20,000. While it may not be a huge hit with long-time fans, these are the types of steps to help achieve such goals.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Widget
    In my mind most of the time, the rest of the time England (near Stonehenge)
    I don't speak up very often but I have to say this look is awful, in my opinion.

Is Tony Stark the new Sorceress of Grayskull? Does this armour have J.A.R.V.I.S. installed? When does Skeletor get his 10 magic rings?

It looks like they started with tech armour then thought about what barbarian elements they could shoehorn in and so it was given a fur trim and rags around the wrists. Gok Wan is needed here!

If...the metal parts were grey...MAYBE...this would have been ok...maybe.

Just because you have 20 crayons in a box doesn't mean you have to use them all for every picture.

Heroic Warrior
    Absolutely hate it.

The colors are probably the worst part. Purple, salmon, and yellow? Where's the barfing He-Man smiley when you need it?
    By the ancients!!!

I love the new he-man look. Keep he-man fresh but keep him close to the basic idea . Long live new 52 he-man !

Evil fears the Knight mattnotis's Avatar
    Good lord! Did Mattel/DC give a pound of crack and some crayons to a focus group or something? I understand keeping things fresh, but this doesn't even remotely look like He-Man.
    Wabawalawoo!!!

It just looks so bland and generic...

*sigh*

If we only we could just get a comic that used the classic(s) designs of the characters...
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

I'd agree with those who think it's not He-Man - I don't get a He-man vibe from the picture.
    Mostly because he looks too much like Adam. And why would He-Man wear purple stuff, just so he looks even more like Adam?
    Wait, maybe that's it?
    It's more or less public knowledge that He-Man is Adam, right? No point hiding the fact now.
    So this image might actually be a blended character, sort of He-Adam...

As for a movie He-Man: Please, please not this! Anything, but not this! Back when we got Snake Armor He-Man, I really got the impression that it might work in a movie. I feel that a future movie He-Man should wear something similar. Some of you guys have said it and I agree, a less naked He-Man cannot so easily be made fun of, even Dolph had a cape! And quite frankly, it's only the little six-year-old in me that thinks underwear He-Man was cool.
    Last edited by Frog; May 6, 2013 at 10:28am. Reason: spelling errors corrected

I gotta say, this really doesn't bother me. I look at the comic as its own thing, so it doesn't bother me that some characters or costumes aren't so similar to how they've always been.

I think for a movie He-Man, the only think you'd need to do to make it work would be maybe make the loincloth longer so it covered up more of his upper thighs. No need to reinvent the wheel though.
    By the ancients!!!

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I am actually surprised by how much resistance there is to this particular look. Especially considering that this is not supplanting his original look but is a specialized armor for fighting the Horde. I am probably one of a number of He-Fans who have strong and at times, rigid ideas about Masters of the Universe, and even I like it. It makes He-Man appear to be the DC equivalent of Marvel's Thor. I can even see him as a member of the Justice League in this look. I like it!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Especially considering that this is not supplanting his original look but is a specialized armor for fighting the Horde.
    If that's the case, why did they not simply use Horde Armour He-Man the Four Horsemen created? It was talked about for years and I THINK it's the He-Man "staction" in the Mattel Art Book that is wearing knight armour (Horde Trooper-esque), has the red iron cross on his chest, furry briefs (like the Grizzlor staction), a gold Zodac blaster and the blonde ponytail.

I personally like the look better and it would help camouflage him a bit from the Horde if he's sneaking around.

EDIT:

I was wrong. That's NOT Horde BUSTER He-Man. This is:

They showed another slide that had a pic of a ‘Horde Buster’ He-Man prototype that looked really cool. Cornboy said that the figure had a huge shield that had batwings that extended for extra protection.
    Another article bashes the new costume. This one VERY STRONGLY bashes it.

I've been informed by my bosses at io9 that an article consisting of nothing but the vilest profanity I can think of is inappropriate for some reason, so let me only state the facts: For issue #4 of their Masters of the Universe comic, DC has redesigned He-Man's iconic look. Care to check it out?

Maybe you like it! But maybe you don't. Maybe you're not sure why DC would bother to change a design that has worked just fine for the last 30+ years! Maybe you think the character looks like he was drawn by a misguided teenager who got drunk off his step-mother's Smirnoff Ices while overdosing on Jim Lee's overcomplicated, overdesigned New 52 costumes, and then the drawing was sat on by an elephant with violent diarrhea! I don't know what you think! We all have opinions, don't we! For instance, someone at DC said, "You know what would be great? If we made He-Man look like a generic, 3rd-tier DC superhero!" And that person had the authority to make it happen! How lucky is that! Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go drink myself to death.
    http://io9.com/dc-redesigned-he-man-...rrib-489597885
    Last edited by Darkspecter; May 6, 2013 at 12:12pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

My problem like others have said he does look more like Adam then He-man based on the art of the book. His pose, and the fact parts of it look like pads make him look like a football player. There are a lot of similarities to the current Ironman armor look. The color scheme is quite dull. I think if someone went through and painted the browns of the pants etc to black, and the ruddy reddish parts to a more deeper red to mimic more the Horde colors it might have gone over a bit better. Remove the yellows of course. The snake armor even had the snake symbol on it, and borrowed from the snake-mens armor color schemes in spots. The horde are traditionally red/black/metal.

I don't hate it, but it doesn't feel very inspiring to me is the problem.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior Fighting Foe Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Waters View Post
    That thing is God-awful.

DC has proven only one thing with The New 52 and this garbage...

They don't know a THING about costume design.
    I so agree with this. This is about as far away from He-Man as possible. About the only good thing that can come of this nasty looking He-Man is that he will make all the other He-Man variants look fantastic by comparison.

But I think this quote is even more perfect:

"Maybe you like it! But maybe you don't. Maybe you're not sure why DC would bother to change a design that has worked just fine for the last 30+ years! Maybe you think the character looks like he was drawn by a misguided teenager who got drunk off his step-mother's Smirnoff Ices while overdosing on Jim Lee's overcomplicated, overdesigned New 52 costumes, and then the drawing was sat on by an elephant with violent diarrhea! I don't know what you think! We all have opinions, don't we! For instance, someone at DC said, "You know what would be great? If we made He-Man look like a generic, 3rd-tier DC superhero!" And that person had the authority to make it happen! How lucky is that! Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go drink myself to death."

Also, I first thought that this was Adam, and I'm still holding out hope for that.
    Last edited by Fighting Foe Man; May 6, 2013 at 12:20pm.
    "Bei der macht von Grayskull, Ich habe die Zauberkraft!"

I’m usually quite positive about the changes DC have made. Reinterpretations and fresh takes are a good thing in my opinion.

However He-man’s roots are barbaric and archetypical for me. A warrior traversing a savage land defending the weak and this for me represents none of that. Instead it just looks like a generic superhero with nothing that harkens back to what made Masters of the Universe so special.

The look is gradually growing on me though. I quite like the inclusion of gold in the outfit and can see how its consistent with other New 52 redesigns. I suppose for me that’s all it will ever be. A modernization to fit with current trends.

As others have mentioned, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if this is the route the new movie takes. I’ll still buy the comic and support the brand in its various incarnations, but hopefully this is only a short term variation.

So does this mean that Battle Cat gets redone too?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephilim View Post
    I’m usually quite positive about the changes DC have made. Reinterpretations and fresh takes are a good thing in my opinion.

However He-man’s roots are barbaric and archetypical for me. A warrior traversing a savage land defending the weak and this for me represents none of that. Instead it just looks like a generic superhero with nothing that harkens back to what made Masters of the Universe so special.

The look is gradually growing on me though. I quite like the inclusion of gold in the outfit and can see how its consistent with other New 52 redesigns. I suppose for me that’s all it will ever be. A modernization to fit with current trends.

As others have mentioned, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if this is the route the new movie takes. I’ll still buy the comic and support the brand in its various incarnations, but hopefully this is only a short term variation.
    The problem with this change is that like the other New 52 redesigns of ICONIC heroes' looks, it has the appearance of changing an iconic look to follow modern trends (detailed battlesuits, generic costumes, mandarin collars, getting rid of the most complained about elements--regardless of how iconic they are). Now if the armor is merely a storyline aspect that can come and go at the writer's whim, then fine. But if this is changing He-Man's look for the times, it's the equivalent of putting shoulderpads, leg belts, pouches and guns on He-Man in the 90's.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Nephilim View Post
    Was that the idea, to make He-man fit in with the other 52 redesigns? If so, to that I say He-man isn't a DC character. DC is and has worked on MOTU comics, but He-man is its own thing. And I'm fundamentally against following current trends. He-man didn't succeed in the 80's by following trends - it set them.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    Was that the idea, to make He-man fit in with the other 52 redesigns? If so, to that I say He-man isn't a DC character. DC is and has worked on MOTU comics, but He-man is its own thing. And I'm fundamentally against following current trends. He-man didn't succeed in the 80's by following trends - it set them.
    The idea behind the 52 designs was for the iconic superheroes to appeal to casual fans, such as video gamers and people outside of the normal comic book reading fanbase to increase readership. Often this mean "modernizing" designs such as giving Wonder Woman pants, getting rid of Power Girl's boob window and taking away Superman and Batman's underwear on the outside of their costumes.

I guess He-Man isn't exempt, despite not being officially part of the New 52 DC Universe...or is he? Will the Justice League Dark come to Eternia? A team up with Demon Knights? Wonder Woman comes to Etheria to mix it up with She-Ra?

A pity that DC doesn't have letter columns like some of the other comic companies do. We could ask the editors questions. However, we do have the next best thing...we could ask Toyguru since he has to okay some of these things (assuming that he okays these things).

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    If that's the case, why did they not simply use Horde Armour He-Man the Four Horsemen created?
    Probably because the illustrator either did not know that the design existed or he could not find it. It is not as if it is a simple image to find, even for a fan, as you illustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    If that's the case, why did they not simply use Horde Armour He-Man the Four Horsemen created?
    Why? Should they call Larry DiTillo and ask him about stories he already wrote and use them too?

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The idea behind the 52 designs was for the iconic superheroes to appeal to casual fans, such as video gamers and people outside of the normal comic book reading fanbase to increase readership. Often this mean "modernizing" designs such as giving Wonder Woman pants, getting rid of Power Girl's boob window and taking away Superman and Batman's underwear on the outside of their costumes.

I guess He-Man isn't exempt, despite not being officially part of the New 52 DC Universe...or is he? Will the Justice League Dark come to Eternia? A team up with Demon Knights? Wonder Woman comes to Etheria to mix it up with She-Ra?

A pity that DC doesn't have letter columns like some of the other comic companies do. We could ask the editors questions. However, we do have the next best thing...we could ask Toyguru since he has to okay some of these things (assuming that he okays these things).
    I do understand the idea behind trying to make the costume appeal to a more mainstream audience. I guess I just disagree with it. In my 30+ years of following these types of properties, I think the instances where properties are watered down to appeal to the masses doesn't work more often than it does work.

I'm not interested in following a generic property. It's like taking all the exotic spices out of a meal and replacing it with loads of salt just because Americans buy a lot of salty food. Blech.