Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New He-Man costume to debut in issue 4 of the comic (SPOILERS)

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    I do understand the idea behind trying to make the costume appeal to a more mainstream audience. I guess I just disagree with it. In my 30+ years of following these types of properties, I think the instances where properties are watered down to appeal to the masses doesn't work more often than it does work.

I'm not interested in following a generic property. It's like taking all the exotic spices out of a meal and replacing it with loads of salt just because Americans buy a lot of salty food. Blech.
    I hear you. If you aren't into barbarians or sword and sorcery, then you aren't into barbarians or sword and sorcery. It's as absurd as putting pants on Wonder Woman will instantly get someone who has always hated Wonder Woman to suddenly be interested in her. Turning a character into something he isn't tends to only frustrate his existing fans rather than turns newer casuals onto the new vision of a character.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

I do understand the idea behind trying to make the costume appeal to a more mainstream audience. I guess I just disagree with it. In my 30+ years of following these types of properties, I think the instances where properties are watered down to appeal to the masses doesn't work more often than it does work.

I'm not interested in following a generic property. It's like taking all the exotic spices out of a meal and replacing it with loads of salt just because Americans buy a lot of salty food. Blech.
    And you would think the people make those versions of the properties would realize that, the problem though ends up with they make the statement "people just don't like _______, we tried to make it something they would like." of course I am sure this is because of the way the put focus group questions, making them generic like 'did you like ____' not did you like how we took something you loved from your childhood and changed it up to something almost completely unrecognizable?
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The problem with this change is that like the other New 52 redesigns of ICONIC heroes' looks, it has the appearance of changing an iconic look to follow modern trends (detailed battlesuits, generic costumes, mandarin collars, getting rid of the most complained about elements--regardless of how iconic they are). Now if the armor is merely a storyline aspect that can come and go at the writer's whim, then fine. But if this is changing He-Man's look for the times, it's the equivalent of putting shoulderpads, leg belts, pouches and guns on He-Man in the 90's.

Was that the idea, to make He-man fit in with the other 52 redesigns? If so, to that I say He-man isn't a DC character. DC is and has worked on MOTU comics, but He-man is its own thing. And I'm fundamentally against following current trends.

To clarify, I’m hardly thrilled by the new design either so won’t try to defend it. Though I’m steadily growing more tolerant, albeit reluctantly. Just making an observation really, as it seems fairly obvious that DC are giving MOTU the same treatment they’ve already shown their other famous characters.

He-man didn't succeed in the 80's by following trends - it set them.
    Completely agree.

He-Man has an iconic look and while I don’t mind slight alterations and tweaks, this sort of departure leaves me underwhelmed. Especially when it doesn’t capture the mood and vibe of the character. I want to stay open minded though so will give it a try.

I guess He-Man isn't exempt, despite not being officially part of the New 52 DC Universe...or is he? Will the Justice League Dark come to Eternia? A team up with Demon Knights? Wonder Woman comes to Etheria to mix it up with She-Ra?
    An intriguing possibility that occurred to me as well.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Probably because the illustrator either did not know that the design existed or he could not find it. It is not as if it is a simple image to find, even for a fan, as you illustrated.
    Mattel designed Despera and were very specific about everything they wanted regarding her (even her face under the mask, but the artist didn't see the e-mail until AFTER it was too late ). I mean, they have all the info available to them in their archives for the 200X stuff, or could just talk to the 4H that are still working with them. *shrugs* It just seems like it would be a good idea to use the valued talent already available to them.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Mattel designed Despera and were very specific about everything they wanted regarding her (even her face under the mask, but the artist didn't see the e-mail until AFTER it was too late ). I mean, they have all the info available to them in their archives for the 200X stuff, or could just talk to the 4H that are still working with them. *shrugs* It just seems like it would be a good idea to use the valued talent already available to them.
    The MOTU comics are pretty much left up to the imaginations of the DC creative team. That's why we have out of the ordinary things such as Skeletor being huge compared to He-Man (did they throw that out?), the Sorceress having a cleavage down to her navel or He-Man sporting a yellow cross.

I wish the comics would have had a creator or creators who were trusted MOTU fans who put Easter Eggs in every issue. Transformers IDW comics are super good right now because of this. The writers and artists have an encyclopaedic knowledge of what's already in the canon. That was what was so cool about MVC's comics. The new TF books also delve into characters who've hadn't had much of a focus. Characters with upcoming toys or variants have spotlight one-shots focusing on them, such as Bumblebee, Megatron, Trailbreaker and Hoist. Imagine if MOTU did that with upcoming Classics figures, but the story was much more like MVC.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Heroic Warrior
    The MOTU comics are pretty much left up to the imaginations of the DC creative team. That's why we have out of the ordinary things such as Skeletor being huge compared to He-Man (did they throw that out?), the Sorceress having a cleavage down to her navel or He-Man sporting a yellow cross.

I wish the comics would have had a creator or creators who were trusted MOTU fans who put Easter Eggs in every issue. Transformers IDW comics are super good right now because of this. The writers and artists have an encyclopaedic knowledge of what's already in the canon. That was what was so cool about MVC's comics. The new TF books also delve into characters who've hadn't had much of a focus. Characters with upcoming toys or variants have spotlight one-shots focusing on them, such as Bumblebee, Megatron, Trailbreaker and Hoist. Imagine if MOTU did that with upcoming Classics figures, but the story was much more like MVC.
    I am a big fan of IDW's Transformers comics and really do like the spotlight issues. I remember Giffin saying he'd like to spotlight characters too, so hopefully we can learn more about the worlds of Eternia and Etheria as the ongoing series continues.

I have a feeling Mattel has specific but overly precise boundaries setup for the property like He-man has to be blonde and names of places but outside DC can pretty write what they want to write. The problem is the word on the street is DC is having editorial micromanaging problems on certain if not all their titles. This could be why some have complained this doesn't feel like a regular Giffin title.

- - - Updated - - -

I hear you. If you aren't into barbarians or sword and sorcery, then you aren't into barbarians or sword and sorcery. It's as absurd as putting pants on Wonder Woman will instantly get someone who has always hated Wonder Woman to suddenly be interested in her. Turning a character into something he isn't tends to only frustrate his existing fans rather than turns newer casuals onto the new vision of a character.
    What the idea people need to realize is often statements like Superman wears his undies on the outside so that makes him silly are people stretching for an argument, especially when it's just a case of not my cup of tea.

I understand the situation I am often fickle with the things I like, while I like fantasy as a genre I get picky on it. I have disliked one series for the way they use magic for example to have someone point out I liked it in another series. It's often minute details and the differences that are still there that cause the problem. So I understand it's often easier to scapegoat something that is fairly obvious than actually trying to tackle the personal problem of, I don't like how they save people and cause all kinds of destruction while doing it... but you like 80s style action movies... I don't like how they have all these unexplainable powers and defy logic... you read manga and watch anime which is even often more unexplainable and defies logic even more because it's so tied into emo... I don't like that he wears his undies on the outside... megaman wears his on the outside... I don't like megaman I just like the game.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I have a feeling Mattel has specific but overly precise boundaries setup for the property like He-man has to be blonde and names of places but outside DC can pretty write what they want to write. The problem is the word on the street is DC is having editorial micromanaging problems on certain if not all their titles. This could be why some have complained this doesn't feel like a regular Giffin title.

- - - Updated - - -

What the idea people need to realize is often statements like Superman wears his undies on the outside so that makes him silly are people stretching for an argument, especially when it's just a case of not my cup of tea.

I understand the situation I am often fickle with the things I like, while I like fantasy as a genre I get picky on it. I have disliked one series for the way they use magic for example to have someone point out I liked it in another series. It's often minute details and the differences that are still there that cause the problem. So I understand it's often easier to scapegoat something that is fairly obvious than actually trying to tackle the personal problem of, I don't like how they save people and cause all kinds of destruction while doing it... but you like 80s style action movies... I don't like how they have all these unexplainable powers and defy logic... you read manga and watch anime which is even often more unexplainable and defies logic even more because it's so tied into emo... I don't like that he wears his undies on the outside... megaman wears his on the outside... I don't like megaman I just like the game.
    I think you are right - sometimes the reason you don't like somethign isn't easily explainable. Like with my wife - we'll have a discussion about some issue we are having and we try to explain what is bothering us. Then the other person addresses that complaint and very often we find the issue is still there. So if you ask someone why they don't like He-man and they say it's the furry shorts, you might get rid of the furry shorts and find that the person still doesn't like He-man. And now your fanbase may not like your version of him either.

Heroic Warrior
    Keep him in his fuzzy underwear and harness and leave him be! I don't care for the new look. Pants are overrated.
    Good trades with: Cammor

Heroic Warrior Fighting Foe Man's Avatar
    I'm always irritated when I hear the shorts that superheroes wear, or He-Man's furry shorts, referred to as having underwear on the outside. THEY ARE SHORTS, NOT UNDERWEAR!!!

If they were underwear, they would be wearing them UNDER! This entire thing was no doubt begun by some lame comedian who wanted to find something to make fun of, and people have just snatched onto it so hard. Without those shorts, superhero costumes that had them previously look extremely bland; its a great way to break up the mono-color of characters like Batman and Superman.

Also, didn't DC already redesign these characters when this series started? Adding chainmail to the furry shorts, and making He-Man's harness out of scailmail, getting rid of the fur shorts on Man-At-Arms, purple Evil Lyn, etc. How many times are they going to "update" these characters!?!?!?!?!?
    "Bei der macht von Grayskull, Ich habe die Zauberkraft!"

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakashian Calamari View Post
    Pants are overrated.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

True that! It would be amazing to have MOTU comics like that again!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Heroic Warrior

Bang-on!

I agree completely; this dire reboot just has not worked - and this desperate attempt to curry favour by issuing (yet another) set of kit for He-Man shows just how lame the conceptualization fostered by DC really is. I've been pointing out consistently that this whole disaster will fall between two stools; upsetting the die-hard fans and failing to win any new ones.

That's why I am so frustrated by all the Giffenisms - chief of which is the complete lack of understanding of or respect for the ideals which keep us returning again and again to the world of Eternia. And it's not just the appearance of the characters, is it? The charge-sheet is endless: downright bad and inappropriate writing; skewed characterization which makes us actively dislike the supposed heroes; nonchalantly having He-Man kill humans - and women. And that's only the part of the 'berg visible above water.

I could not put it better than you do; turning a character into something he isn't - especially one so well-known as He-Man and his entire mythos - is a VERY serious step. And they fell over at the very first attempt and are now marketing madly for all they are worth to try to stave-off impending disaster.

What REALLY irks me is what this ill-thought-out D(ismal) C(omics) experiment is going to do to the MotU property for the forseeable future. Nothing good; of that we may be certain.

- - - Updated - - -

True that! It would be amazing to have MOTU comics like that again!
    And this too - and MGMax's wise assessment; I deeply approve. Why, oh why did DC pick someone who had neither knowledge of nor empathy with the mythos and canon to do the writing? There are surely plenty of writers who could have done it well - and should have - or at least been granted a consulting role.

Giffen is to Eternia what King Herod is to childcare.

Quite possibly he's fine in other fields - but in trying to force He-Man into the DC straitjacket (and isn't this new costume just exactly that process writ large?) he proves himself yet again prone to puerile, mischievous cultural vandalism - and this is not AT ALL good for the MotU cause.

How hard could it be to find the kind of writer that we crave? MVC seem to have done it superlatively well - and that just shows up in stark clarity how abysmal these New52 DC dollops are.

Where are you, Val Staples? Eternia has urgent need of a truly heroic writer with vision to rescue its poor abused heroes from durance vile.....
    Last edited by Scriptor; May 7, 2013 at 10:42pm.

Heroic Warrior Fighting Foe Man's Avatar
    Wow, well put Scriptor.
    "Bei der macht von Grayskull, Ich habe die Zauberkraft!"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Foe Man View Post
    Wow, well put Scriptor.

I do think that a lot of fans feel this way about these comics; they could - with far tighter and more knowledgeable editorial control and a more fitting choice of writer - have been so VERY much better than they are turning out. Which is far from good - as general reviews indicate. And I have a bad feeling that this current experiment will fail - and prevent our getting what we really want (and what Eternia badly needs) for years to come. After all, ten years separate the MVC gems from this dross; will it be another decade before we see MotU comics again?
    I hope not; but, frankly, I'd far rather see it not done at all than done this lamentably badly...

In my opinion the current comics are revolutionary for motu parameters and I like to have a fresh look from writers less expert in motu,that's positive for the good stories.
    many times when writers are so expert in a brand is worse for stories because only limited to respect the canon.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    In my opinion the current comics are revolutionary for motu parameters and I like to have a fresh look from writers less expert in motu,that's positive for the good stories.
    many times when writers are so expert in a brand is worse for stories because only limited to respect the canon.
    Well - I do respect that point of view, surely - though in this instance I don't agree with it entirely.

For example, how fresh in terms of plot/storytelling is the current DC reboot? Skeletor's 'mind-wiping' spell and general air of incompetence in the last series was pure Filmation; nothing more. The Horde attack in this - and the whole Adora/She-Ra input, is only "Secret of the Sword" somewhat extended - and devoid of any such restraint. It isn't the actual stories that are chiefly at fault here; it's the MANNER in which they are told - and the appallingly misjudged characterization and generally inept execution.

Val Staples wrote superbly compelling and internally-consistent MotU tales which certainly challenged the parameters of the canon (eg The Shard of Darkness, or Dark Reflections) but contrived to remain within bounds - and that is a very real skill, believe me! The trouble with Giffen's idea of a fresh look is that it seems to involve driving six squadrons of heavy tanks through the canon and widely accepted and well-loved characterization - hence the widespread dismay among fans evinced on this site and others.
    The general reviews of the comics are poor - and sales aren't all that promising either (and thanks for posting those figures!) considering that this is - supposedly - a sure-fire hit series with a ready-made audience. Trouble is that few existing fans appear to be impressed - and there's scant evidence that DC is winning new converts to the cause - especially when one considers the demographic of the readership. That cannot be good business - but, then, DC do seem to be having some very real problems in that respect anyway.

It saddens me - it really does - that this has been such a wasted opportunity; greater care and guidance (and the crucial elements of moderation and restraint) could have created some classic issues to match those of ten years ago. But it is already crystal clear that this is not going to happen - and the chance is now probably lost for good, since no-one will want to touch this property again for some time if this current experiment crashes and burns. As it almost certainly will since, as MGMax points out, one cannot afford to lose existing fanbase support unless it can be replaced by new blood.
    But that's not the kind of blood that DC appear to crave. Sad, really.
    Last edited by Scriptor; May 7, 2013 at 10:07pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    I agree completely; this dire reboot just has not worked - and this desperate attempt to curry favour by issuing (yet another) set of kit for He-Man shows just how lame the conceptualization fostered by DC really is. I've been pointing out consistently that this whole disaster will fall between two stools; upsetting the die-hard fans and failing to win any new ones.

That's why I am so frustrated by all the Giffenisms - chief of which is the complete lack of understanding of or respect for the ideals which keep us returning again and again to the world of Eternia. And it's not just the appearance of the characters, is it? The charge-sheet is endless: downright bad and inappropriate writing; skewed characterization which makes us actively dislike the supposed heroes; nonchalantly having He-Man kill humans - and women. And that's only the part of the 'berg visible above water.

I could not put it better than you do; turning a character into something he isn't - especially one so well-known as He-Man and his entire mythos - is a VERY serious step. And they fell over at the very first attempt and are now marketing madly for all they are worth to try to stave-off impending disaster.

What REALLY irks me is what this ill-thought-out D(ismal) C(omics) experiment is going to do to the MotU property for the forseeable future. Nothing good; of that we may be certain.

- - - Updated - - -

And this too - and MGMax's wise assessment; I deeply approve. Why, oh why did DC pick someone who had neither knowledge of nor empathy with the mythos and canon to do the writing? There are surely plenty of writers who could have done it well - and should have - or at least been granted a consulting role.

Giffen is to Eternia what King Herod is to childcare.

Quite possibly he's fine in other fields - but in trying to force He-Man into the DC straitjacket (and isn't this new costume just exactly that process writ large?) he proves himself yet again prone to puerile, mischievous cultural vandalism - and this is not AT ALL good for the MotU cause.

How hard could it be to find the kind of writer that we crave? MVC seem to have done it superlatively well - and that just shows up in stark clarity how abysmal these New52 DC dollops are.

Where are you, Val Staples? Eternia has urgent need of a truly heroic writer with vision to rescue its poor abused heroes from durance vile.....
    Great post. I want to blame DC, but MATTEL should know better! Mattel has given the keys to the car to a drunk teenager - so all the crashes are Mattel's fault. If TG would stop worrying about trading cameos with Johns, maybe he'd be more comfortable imposing some standards to the DC folk. As it is, DC is just stomping on everything.

This isn't meant to bash anyone, but I honestly think that being responsible for a property like MOTU that many people love and support is a stewardship, and carries with it some responsibility. And this whole SLL, Spector, Nite-Lik nepotism going on has created a conflict of interest I believe that is harming the property. It's just awful.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    Well - I do respect that point of view, surely - though in this instance I don't agree with it entirely.

For example, how fresh in terms of plot/storytelling is the current DC reboot? Skeletor's 'mind-wiping' spell and general air of incompetence in the last series was pure Filmation; nothing more. The Horde attack in this - and the whole Adora/She-Ra input, is only "Secret of the Sword" somewhat extended - and devoid of any such restraint. It isn't the actual stories that are chiefly at fault here; it's the MANNER in which they are told - and the appallingly misjudged characterization and generally inept execution.

Val Staples wrote superbly compelling and internally-consistent MotU tales which certainly challenged the parameters of the canon (eg The Shard of Darkness, or Dark Reflections) but contrived to remain within bounds - and that is a very real skill, believe me! The trouble with Giffen's idea of a fresh look is that it seems to involve driving six squadrons of heavy tanks through the canon and widely accepted and well-loved characterization - hence the widespread dismay among fans evinced on this site and others.
    The general reviews of the comics are poor - and sales aren't all that promising either (and thanks for posting those figures!) considering that this is - supposedly - a sure-fire hit series with a ready-made audience. Trouble is that few existing fans appear to be impressed - and there's scant evidence that DC is winning new converts to the cause - especially when one considers the demographic of the readership. That cannot be good business - but, then, DC do seem to be having some very real problems in that respect anyway.

It saddens me - it really does - that this has been such a wasted opportunity; greater care and guidance (and the crucial elements of moderation and restraint) could have created some classic issues to match those of ten years ago. But it is already crystal clear that this is not going to happen - and the chance is now probably lost for good, since no-one will want to touch this property again for some time if this current experiment crashes and burns. As it almost certainly will since, as MGMax points out, one cannot afford to lose existing fanbase support unless it can be replaced by new blood.
    But that's not the kind of blood that DC appear to crave. Sad, really.
    I hate reading you say that this could make no one want to touch MOTU again for a while, but I fear you are right. Can't we get someone with vision and skill to manage this property? It's so frustrating!

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    All perfectly stated. I agree with you 100% MGM.

Regarding He-Man's new costume, someone at Power-Con or on RGD said that during kid testing on the 200X line, kids were weirded out because He-Man was so "naked." IIRC, that's the reason they covered him up a bit more with the Snake Armor. I wonder if that old kid test is still in people's minds or something.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post

Regarding He-Man's new costume, someone at Power-Con or on RGD said that during kid testing on the 200X line, kids were weirded out because He-Man was so "naked." IIRC, that's the reason they covered him up a bit more with the Snake Armor. I wonder if that old kid test is still in people's minds or something.
    Kids like WWE. They're naked AND oiled up.

I think the only misgiving I have for sure is the bulky armour pieces on the side of the leg like others have mentioned as well. I won't know for sure until I see it all clearly in the actual comic itself. The armour sections on the leg that stick out too much don't even worry me though since I think something like that is likely to change quite a bit depending on which artist draws it.

To use Iron Man as a comparison it's like any one iteration of the Iron Man armour drawn by several artists will probably differ quite a bit between artists (which is probably even more relevant given the armoured abs design in this new He-man costume). So while a general look is considered canon it can be interpreted differently by other artists and some may like to downplay some features while accentuating others.

Also personally I'm not fussed if this is the new standard He-man in the DC comics. It's one incarnation of He-man and it's not like it doesn't have some barbaric qualities to it and it's not like He-man doesn't have a lot of different looks already. The furry underwear has been around for thirty years, I don't think it's the end of the world if for one incarnation they're swapped out for a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Kids like WWE. They're naked AND oiled up.
    Aren't most of them wearing pants now, or was that so five years ago. I completely lost all interest when all wrestlers were going by real names and wearing jeans.

On mattel and DC, Dc is ran by a guy who used to do soap operas and is all about attention getting events. With the 52 reboot they wanted all their titles to be rated teen so they make sure there is sexy stuff or deaths in the right places to remind content reviewers this is for teens. Which btw seems to follow more or less what is going on with this comic.

Heroic Warrior
    Is this anything special? I mean... is there an indication that this is meant to be a PERMANANT change?

Honetly, it doesn't look much different to me then MOTUC Battle Armor He-man...Waist down, probably king he-man... kind of has a He-ro belt feel to it...

But really, new armors aren't anything new... so until I have a REASOn to get freaked out by a change like this... I'm not going.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post

Regarding He-Man's new costume, someone at Power-Con or on RGD said that during kid testing on the 200X line, kids were weird-ed out because He-Man was so "naked." IIRC, that's the reason they covered him up a bit more with the Snake Armor. I wonder if that old kid test is still in people's minds or something.
    And not to debate that but this is because Masters began to turn away from the Sword and Sorcery and began getting too tech-savy too fast; bare skin characters in furry shorts and boots would make the kids wonder how can they can blend in a world of lasers and space ships. Masters has that balance but depending on what style (media-wise) was applied, that can also sway thoughts and perceptions.
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Heroic Warrior
    I want to blame DC, but MATTEL should know better! Mattel has given the keys to the car to a drunk teenager - so all the crashes are Mattel's fault.

Thanks, Jibernish; I think that you make a very important (as well as witty!) point here; where does ultimate responsibility for this fiasco rest? I know next to nothing about the complex internal politics to which you refer - but I am entirely in agreement with the way you express your fears for the brand - which I most definitely share. And you use a really significant word: stewardship - and that sums it up exactly. There should ndeed be some degree of responsibility for the stewardship of the MotU brand - but it seems to have been lost completely in the matter of these DC comics. Hence the widespread dismay among fans and the, frankly, already poor sales figures. If nothing else will, one might hope that commercial considerations might cause Mattel/DC to think again; after all, they replaced Robinson as writer; would it be too much to hope that they might replace Giffen with someone who can do a decent turn with the material - the someone with vision and skill to manage this property to which you refer? The writers and artists (who) have an encyclopaedic knowledge of what's already in the canon advocated by MGMax?

If they don't - and soon - then my fear is as stated above; the serious damage will be done and we will see no more MotU comics again for years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nemisythe View Post
    And not to debate that but this is because Masters began to turn away from the Sword and Sorcery and began getting too tech-savy too fast; bare skin characters in furry shorts and boots would make the kids wonder how can they can blend in a world of lasers and space ships. Masters has that balance but depending on what style (media-wise) was applied, that can also sway thoughts and perceptions.
    A very perceptive point.
    My only question (to which I don't claim to know the answer) is that I am far from sure to what extent MotU these days is a kids' property. The current DC comics most certainly are NOT aimed at that market - as Wyldman11 notes about the ratings (above). They seem - ineptly - to be trying to make them more "adult" - and, by doing it so crudely and clumsily, actually rendering them more shallow and puerile.
    Which would be ironic, I suppose - if anyone at DC truly understood the concept of irony...