Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 259

Thread: New He-Man costume to debut in issue 4 of the comic (SPOILERS)

  1. #201
    Heroic Warrior Ridureyu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,941
    I kind of want to see Sensibly-dressed-for-a-fight Teela now...

  2. #202
    Evil Warrior jibernish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    845
    Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    Teela has been shown with the bikini a long time ago, thatīs not bothering me BECAUSE everyone else was showing as much skin as she was.
    They all had a unified look. They were strong fighters who wereīt thinking about their outfits.

    The contrast between this new armored superhero with perfect haircut He-Man and golden bikini with furry loincloth and red head but no tiara Teela is whatīs bothering me.
    I guess it depends on what your preferred version is, but to me, Filmation Teela is Teela to me. And Filmation Teela would knock Griffin to the ground and step on his throat if he tried to do something like this to her. Same for movie Teela and 200x Teela. To me, not only have they introduced sex where it doesn't belong, they have changed her character. They have made her less than she was.

    If you have to have sex in MOTU comics, introduce new characters, don't change Teela. It's lame, not to mention sexist - covering He-man head to toe and stripping Teela down. She looks like a stripper or a Laker girl.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by hopewell View Post
    They seem to be portraying Teela in the comic as a self assured woman who ignores her lack of clothing because she is either dismissive of sexuality or is so focused on being a warrior, she doesn't care. Does it come off as exploitive that she has this personality trait? I can see where some may feel this way. Largely I think it's just males drawing hot females for males to look at. Which is a big part of any male dominated entertainment (sports, cars, comics, action movies).

    Is it removed from the values of Filmation He-Man? Probably. I don't remember the cartoon being very exploitative. They just took the character designs from the toys and incorporated them into the show with little changes.

    But He-Man hasn't been a barbarian since 1982 (roughly). The past few decades he's a price who magically transforms into a person with super strength and less clothing. To me, if he's going to be a Prince from day 1, he shouldn't turn into a Barbarian. He should reflect a Royal with similar armor that person of his background would wear.

    Again, He only looked like a Barbarian in the Filmation era because Scheimer didn't change his look, only his backstory.

    Teela looking the warrior part still works for me because that's what here character seems to be in this new comic; A warrior woman who is always ready for a fight. (Not that I like that characterization of her mind you).

    Ideally I'd like Teela's girl status to be ignored and rather have her be a Captain of the Guard with a lot of bravery, not bravado.

    That said, I don't have a problem with sexy outfits in comics. Politically correct does not mean asexual. In general, Men admire women for their legs and chest. Women admire men for their chest. We tend to highlight those areas to attract the opposite sex (I'm talking heterosexuals here) and to feel attractive ourselves (nothing wrong there). My wife wears skirts for me. I work on my upper body at the gym for her.

    One need only look at the models on Fashion Runway or the covers of romance novels to see how women dominated industries are not much different from the male ones in portraying men and women in sexy ways. Stopping comic artists from doing it won't change the world nor will it affect my daughter's earning potential because her boss like Teela in a bikini.
    I understand your point, and there's nothing inherently wrong with sexuality. But this is He-man for goodness sakes. Sex doesn't have to be dripped over everything. It's a cheap and easy way to try and increase sales instead of investing in good, daring, unique storytelling. It's the coward's way and it speaks of a lack of vision and creativity. There's a time and a place for most things, and to me, this isn't the time or place for stripper Teela, captain of the guard. That's something you'd see in a low grade adult movie, and that's where it belongs, not in a MOTU comic book.

    He-man can get away with wearing almost nothing because he has fabulous secret powers. Teela is just a regular person - she's formidable because of her will and internal strength. Having her dress to please the men around her goes directly against those traits. You don't see Batman running around in his undies and it makes no sense for Teela to lead the royal guard into battle dressed like that.
    Last edited by jibernish; May 10, 2013 at 07:42pm.

  3. #203
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    326
    It's a cheap and easy way to try and increase sales instead of investing in good, daring, unique storytelling. It's the coward's way and it speaks of a lack of vision and creativity.

    I think that you just summed-up the whole farrago; six episodes to deal with Skeletor (no plot at all) four for the Horde (barely any more) and then - why - straight on to Earth/DCU crossover!
    Or wherever. Who cares?
    Good writing? Vision? Narrative consistency? Creativity? Conceptual and character development? All utterly alien to this brave new DC world. But, then, they didn't seem to understand Eternia at all; maybe they can make the total lack of these things not matter at all in their own world.

    But - one has to hand it to them; they react and adapt quickly to the prospect of impending failure - and shift swiftly to new ground. We've gone from gritty (supposed) realism and bloodshed to the absolute other extreme - camp and childish fantasy - with some (female) sexuality flung in to make it 'adult.'
    Well-done, DC. Run back to what you know. Oh - and when you've finished with them - can we have our heroes and villains back, please - preferably in a vaguely recognizable form?

    It's just a real pity that the intriguing idea of MotU for thinking adults has been dumped in favour of a crude appeal to a wider and less critically-aware audience.

    But perhaps that was a lot to ask from a provider so well-steeped in a culture clearly inimicable to Eternian ideals.

    Or - maybe it was only an elaborate parody all along? Yes; that must be it....
    Last edited by Scriptor; May 10, 2013 at 10:06pm.

  4. #204
    Heroic Warrior JakeofEternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    689
    At what point was DC so seriously derailed from what makes a good comics publisher? Interesting stories combined with character development and great visuals, that's what I thought Comics publishers were going for. DC seems to be all over the place. A lot of people blame the New 52, but rebooting your universe is no excuse for swapping out what works for things that don't just to shake up the status quo. Redesigning for the sake of redesigns aren't fun either. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of the New 52 designs, I'm just not warming up to the He-Man stuff now. I agree with a lot of people above, it looks totally out of place to have Teela fight in a fur bikini next to Man At Arms in full armor and He-Man now in a version of Iron Man armor. I want to like the new designs, but they just seems so off from what has previously existed in MOTU. It's just not fitting right.

  5. #205
    Heroic Warrior Ridureyu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,941
    There's been some weird stuff going on with DC lately. Suspicious firings, illogical media plans, signs of internal problems...

  6. #206
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Attachment 84620

    Credit to Matt Moylan at Bleeding Cool. I'd link to it, but , y'know...

  7. #207
    Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Painesville, Ohio
    Posts
    15,035
    It's Teela the Warrior Goddess vs Teela the Boobed Barbarian.

    Teela may have bean headstrong, but it was tempered by the the planets' best training and education programs afforded to most civilized nation. Teela WAS always an elegant, well spoken, respectful LADY of the Kingdom who brought honor to her father. This Teela is a bloodthirsty arrogant, self serving disrespectful BARBARIAN that dresses like a sex worker and respects nothing, not even the man who chose to raise her. She can't even behave her self at the funeral of one of the worlds most well respected individuals. She is shameless in every way which is way more offensive then the way she is drawn, but then that point has already been well covered.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    This is not just a costume change. It is a degradation of the very essence of MOTU. So sad.
    Exactly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I feel like Despara has made more of a positive impact in one print issue than Teela has in how many issues now? Despara and The Horde are the most interesting thing to me about these comics.
    Agreed, and it's because they tweaked who Adora is without altering the fundamentals. They just shifted the situations and emphasized existing themes. The character, despite such a complete visual makeover is recognizable. Largely I'm liking this aspect because it is close to how I had envisioned her incorporation into the 200X continuity or a live action film sequel. The Hordak mask and name are inspired, way better then "Force Captain Adora", I wish I had thought of that!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    I kind of want to see Sensibly-dressed-for-a-fight Teela now...
    I liked how the 1987 movie tried to make Teela, Man-At-Arms and the Royal Guard more uniformed in look.
    I think a "woman of arms" Royal Guard outfit colord white & gold would befit their Captain. Her classic white one peace being her off duty clothes. The fur bikini could be for comic con cos-play or laundry day
    Last edited by LORD FALLEN ELDOR; May 10, 2013 at 09:35pm.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

    'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

  8. #208
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR View Post
    It's Teela the Warrior Goddess vs Teela the Boobed Barbarian.

    Teela may have bean headstrong, but it was tempered by the the planets' best training and education programs afforded to most civilized nation. Teela WAS always an elegant, well spoken, respectful LADY of the Kingdom who brought honor to her father. This Teela is a bloodthirsty arrogant, self serving disrespectful BARBARIAN that dresses like a sex worker and respects nothing, not even the man who chose to raise her. She can't even behave her self at the funeral of one of the worlds most well respected individuals. She is shameless in every way which is way more offensive then the way she is drawn, but then that point has already been well covered.



    Exactly.



    Agreed, and it's because they tweaked who Adora is without altering the fundamentals. They just shifted the situations and emphasized existing themes. The character, despite such a complete visual makeover is recognizable. Largely I'm liking this aspect because it is close to how I had envisioned her incorporation into the 200X continuity or a live action film sequel. The Hordak mask and name are inspired, way better then "Force Captain Adora", I wish I had thought of that!



    I liked how the 1987 movie tried to make Teela, Man-At-Arms and the Royal Guard more uniformed in look.
    I think a "woman of arms" Royal Guard outfit colord white & gold would befit their Captain. Her classic white one peace being her off duty clothes. The fur bikini could be for comic con cos-play or laundry day
    Yes - with you all the way, m'lord. Couldn't agree more.

    As I say, it MUST be parody; there isn't any other explanation - unless DC really is staffed by irresponsible, brain-damaged vulgarians whose idea of crack-headed fun is to degrade everything they touch and pull the wreckage into the hole on top of them as they bury themselves.

    But - surely - that could never be? No.....

  9. #209
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,633
    It's funny how this makes the 1987 movie Teela's fully-clothed costume more attractive for fans.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Teela's lack of clothing is actually pretty in-line with the depiction of Barbarian women for a long time. It's not necessarily empowering or less sexist or anything, but it's actually much more in the tradition of MOTU (well, an update of that) than He-man's clothing atrocity.
    I think Teela's costumes (any of them--even Blonde Bikini, which is He-Man's costume anyway except for the bra replacing the harness) weren't so much of a problem until the usually even more naked He-Man suddenly put on clothes. He-Man always sidestepped the whole sexism trope since he was near naked himself.

    People seemed to hate the new designs in general, not just Teela's. Now that He-Man is dressed up more, Teela's skimpiness is more obvious.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    I understand your point, and there's nothing inherently wrong with sexuality. But this is He-man for goodness sakes. Sex doesn't have to be dripped over everything. It's a cheap and easy way to try and increase sales instead of investing in good, daring, unique storytelling. It's the coward's way and it speaks of a lack of vision and creativity. There's a time and a place for most things, and to me, this isn't the time or place for stripper Teela, captain of the guard. That's something you'd see in a low grade adult movie, and that's where it belongs, not in a MOTU comic book.

    He-man can get away with wearing almost nothing because he has fabulous secret powers. Teela is just a regular person - she's formidable because of her will and internal strength. Having her dress to please the men around her goes directly against those traits. You don't see Batman running around in his undies and it makes no sense for Teela to lead the royal guard into battle dressed like that.
    I wouldn't use comic book superheroes as a guidepost. Batman wears bulletproof armor. Teela never has to worry about swords, spears or arrows and is more akin to fantasy characters such as Dejah Thoris or Red Sonja.

    She did lead the Royal Guard in the 80's with a bathing suit and once did so dressed in her bikini look. The only times Teela had dressed "appropriately" was in New Adventures and the 1987 movie.

    I don't think you could explain why He-Man should be scantily clad and why Teela shouldn't. It's a fantasy world where realism is thrown out the window. He-Man and Teela were always dressed to fit the world around them. Eternians regularly showed skin and dressed like various fantasy characters.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeofEternia View Post
    At what point was DC so seriously derailed from what makes a good comics publisher? Interesting stories combined with character development and great visuals, that's what I thought Comics publishers were going for. DC seems to be all over the place. A lot of people blame the New 52, but rebooting your universe is no excuse for swapping out what works for things that don't just to shake up the status quo. Redesigning for the sake of redesigns aren't fun either. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of the New 52 designs, I'm just not warming up to the He-Man stuff now. I agree with a lot of people above, it looks totally out of place to have Teela fight in a fur bikini next to Man At Arms in full armor and He-Man now in a version of Iron Man armor. I want to like the new designs, but they just seems so off from what has previously existed in MOTU. It's just not fitting right.
    I think at the heart of the matter is the idea that MOTU somehow needs fixing.

    The New 52 was created with that idea in mind and "fixed" alot of heroes' historic and iconic elements that casual fans always had issues with. Now it's MOTU's turn, where DC gets rid of MOTU's iconic elements that people might have had problems with, such as Filmation goofiness or He-Man being nearly naked.

    Getting rid of Superman's underwear didn't increase his readership much.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

  10. #210
    Heroic Warrior Mern-Ra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,433
    He-Man's new costume is freaking awful, and is nearly enough to make me quit the book. We'll see if I can actually stand reading the book once issue 4 hits.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

    My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

    Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

    The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

  11. #211
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    326
    - - - Updated - - -

    I think at the heart of the matter is the idea that MOTU somehow needs fixing.

    The New 52 was created with that idea in mind and "fixed" a lot of heroes' historic and iconic elements that casual fans always had issues with. Now it's MOTU's turn, where DC gets rid of MOTU's iconic elements that people might have had problems with, such as Filmation goofiness or He-Man being nearly naked.

    Getting rid of Superman's underwear didn't increase his readership much.[/QUOTE]




    Yup; you got that about 100% right - again. Does it need fixing? To appease casual and probably short-term readers who will soon drift off to the next cheap thrill?

    And, if so is THIS the fix? Not only the imbecilic costumes but the whole inevitable let's-shove-He-Man-into-the-DCU-it'll-be-a-blast routine perpetrated by these goons?
    Honestly, it now reads like parody; and how on earth did we go from a supposedly gritty realism to fighting Superman? Is THIS the more adult take on MotU that was craved?

    So let's see how brave they really are, these writers, shall we? He-Man guts Superman, but not before having his eyes burned out by the power of the Man of Steel. Teela and Wonder Woman each lose an arm and a leg - but carry on fighting, Monty-Python Black Knight style. Yes ! THAT should bring the crowds in!

    Oh - but - hang on..... that would be childish, wouldn't it? Or would it be more adult? I can no longer tell (or care.)
    Last edited by Scriptor; May 11, 2013 at 07:23am.

  12. #212
    Evil Warrior jibernish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    845
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    It's funny how this makes the 1987 movie Teela's fully-clothed costume more attractive for fans.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I think Teela's costumes (any of them--even Blonde Bikini, which is He-Man's costume anyway except for the bra replacing the harness) weren't so much of a problem until the usually even more naked He-Man suddenly put on clothes. He-Man always sidestepped the whole sexism trope since he was near naked himself.

    People seemed to hate the new designs in general, not just Teela's. Now that He-Man is dressed up more, Teela's skimpiness is more obvious.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I wouldn't use comic book superheroes as a guidepost. Batman wears bulletproof armor. Teela never has to worry about swords, spears or arrows and is more akin to fantasy characters such as Dejah Thoris or Red Sonja.

    She did lead the Royal Guard in the 80's with a bathing suit and once did so dressed in her bikini look. The only times Teela had dressed "appropriately" was in New Adventures and the 1987 movie.

    I don't think you could explain why He-Man should be scantily clad and why Teela shouldn't. It's a fantasy world where realism is thrown out the window. He-Man and Teela were always dressed to fit the world around them. Eternians regularly showed skin and dressed like various fantasy characters.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I think at the heart of the matter is the idea that MOTU somehow needs fixing.

    The New 52 was created with that idea in mind and "fixed" alot of heroes' historic and iconic elements that casual fans always had issues with. Now it's MOTU's turn, where DC gets rid of MOTU's iconic elements that people might have had problems with, such as Filmation goofiness or He-Man being nearly naked.

    Getting rid of Superman's underwear didn't increase his readership much.
    Your point about Teela being in a bathing suit before is valid. But I never got a sense that the intention of that outfit was overtly sexual. I wasn't titillated by it as a kid, and my mother, who was very strict, didn't think anything of it either. But this is different. This outfit is absolutely meant titillate male readers.

    I don't think you can explain it either. But I don't think Mattel and DC will come out and say the real reason why they put He-man in armor, so they cop to the idea that he should be appropriately dressed for battle. So when Teela's design goes in the opposite direction, we know it's not true. Something else is going on below the surface.

    To the execs at Mattel and DC, MOTU does need fixing in the sense that the fan base isn't large enough for them to bring in the streams of cash they'd like, or that even we'd like because it would allow us cartoons, movies, Snake Mountain, vehicles, etc. So there is an issue, but they mistakenly think the issue is too much male flesh and not enough female flesh (among other things). The real issue is a lack of vision and passion for what MOTU is. Like Eamon has said, don't make any apologies for what MOTU is and go balls to the wall to make it the best it can be.

    I know MOTU could work with a mainstream super-hero loving movie audience if they'd get some good ideas and honor the roots.
    Last edited by jibernish; May 11, 2013 at 07:19am.

  13. #213
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    To the execs at Mattel and DC, MOTU does need fixing in the sense that the fan base isn't large enough for them to bring in the streams of cash they'd like, or that even we'd like because it would allow us cartoons, movies, Snake Mountain, vehicles, etc. So there is an issue, but they mistakenly think the issue is too much male flesh and not enough female flesh (among other things). The real issue is a lack of vision and passion for what MOTU is. Like Eamon has said, don't make any apologies for what MOTU is and go balls to the wall to make it the best it can be.

    I know MOTU could work with a mainstream super-hero loving movie audience if they'd get some good ideas and honor the roots.

    YES! vision, passion and commitment - allied to quality writing and the maintenance of high standards and expectations will save MotU; pandering it to the lowest common denominator for short-term commercial advantage will not. And that goes equally for comics, films and all MotU fiction. And paying heed to the roots matters.

    We surely all want MotU to thrive - but differ as to the best means of securing its future.

    I suspect that if this last gamble by DC doesn't work, then Mattel will pull the plug on the co-operation. We shall see.

  14. #214
    Heroic Warrior Masamune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,068
    I think the sexuality issue is just another thing people for people to latch onto because they don't like this new direction. People keep saying these things as facts as though they're particular view of what this or any iteration of motu should be is the only right way. It just seems to me that some people are calling it childish or unimaginative or whatever as though they feel that's a fact and that's all bringing sexuality into will ever be. That's your personal take on things. If it's not your cup of tea then more power to you, but don't try and tell me what you're saying is fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

    In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

  15. #215
    Heroic Warrior wyldman11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,116
    Sexuality has been a debate in comics for years now, especially since they increase in color palette and details on the art. It's not just that she is drawn in a bikini, it's how the bikini is drawn and how she is drawn in particular. It's also part of the problem on the male side where characters are drawn in ways that aren't really that realistic. It's basically a problem where emphasis is put, it's one thing I like about comics before the 90s is they weren't drawing for the pinup, which don't get me wrong when done right looks great but often has to bend reality to do what it does.

    People are allowed to like the comic in question, but we are also allowed to voice what we don't like. I am getting at a point where I just don't care about modern comics is part of my over all issue. Well I should clarify mostly superhero comics, I still wanted to punch my Hastings into non existence when they didn't have the FCBD Mouse Guard.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

    There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

    Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

  16. #216
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    I think the sexuality issue is just another thing people for people to latch onto because they don't like this new direction. People keep saying these things as facts as though they're particular view of what this or any iteration of motu should be is the only right way. It just seems to me that some people are calling it childish or unimaginative or whatever as though they feel that's a fact and that's all bringing sexuality into will ever be. That's your personal take on things. If it's not your cup of tea then more power to you, but don't try and tell me what you're saying is fact.
    I think Teela's sexuality wasn't so much of an issue before simply because the MALE main characters were some of the most unclad characters in the books...and Teela has a history of wearing bathing suit-like fantasy gear into battle. MOTU had always seemed to dodge sexism simply because the men were wearing less than the sole women characters on their teams.

    You cover He-Man up, but leave Teela being comparatively undressed since she is a female character and MOTU becomes sexist. It's funny, but if we covered up Teela, but left He-Man scantily-clad, there might have been no cries of sexism at all.

    We tend to scruitinize women characters more harshly much harder than men.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

  17. #217
    Heroic Warrior wundarwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Eaton OH
    Posts
    1,620
    The way they dress is not an issue to me. Teela being half naked is ok with me because ALMOST EVERY heroine is drawn that way. Comic readers threw a fit when they put pants on Wonder Woman because it was against the grain. Now people on here dislike He-Man wearing clothes. I prefer new looks every so often for THESE characters. They are not like other super heroes who wear a branded symbol so their clothes are less important when it comes to recognizing them. He-Man can use different armors for different occasions and Teela can wear a corset or a bikini on different occasions.

    DC is rushing the crossover because they are being told to get MOTU out there as fast as possible IMO. The movie should go into production soon and I'm sure Mattel wants the waters tested as much as possible before the movie's release.

  18. #218
    Heroic Warrior MrRoboto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    2,793
    Really glad i didn't subscribe to these new comics. And glad i've stopped reading the others a while back too. This DC cross-over idea is awful IMO. All these MOTU/POP etc... characters and potential for great stories and now they need to involve DC characters as well? No thanks.
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

    *MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

  19. #219
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,056
    Well cross-overs are pretty time-honored in comics, so this I get, but I agree that Teela's costume could have been updated in the same vein He-Man's was. As far as the design of He-Man itself, it's too much going on. This costume will be very right now and that's it. There is nothing timeless about it at all. But I can make that argument about many costumes. Regarding Teela and her sexiness, well...the sexiest woman in the 80's was the Baroness and she was completely covered from the neck down and wearing glasses. Sexiness is attitude, and artists can't seem to grasp that. Not to mention she is the Captain of the Guard. Is this Michael Bay's Eternia?

    Some folks said it best. Teela just looks out of place now. If you are going to minimize the barbarian aspect of the mythos, you can't pick and choose your subjects.

  20. #220
    Heroic Warrior Masamune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,068
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think Teela's sexuality wasn't so much of an issue before simply because the MALE main characters were some of the most unclad characters in the books...and Teela has a history of wearing bathing suit-like fantasy gear into battle. MOTU had always seemed to dodge sexism simply because the men were wearing less than the sole women characters on their teams.

    You cover He-Man up, but leave Teela being comparatively undressed since she is a female character and MOTU becomes sexist. It's funny, but if we covered up Teela, but left He-Man scantily-clad, there might have been no cries of sexism at all.

    We tend to scruitinize women characters more harshly much harder than men.
    Agreed. The depiction of men in this sort of media tends to get a free pass. I don't subscribe to that myself. Not that I'm saying it's worse or as bad as sexism towards women in media. I mean that's clearly worse and needs to be worked on, but I don't think it's necessarily always clear cut. Though I get the point about He-man being covered up at a time when Teela is wearing less, but I'm not so sure that's automatically evil as some would paint it. I mean Wonder Woman has traditionally worn less while among her male contemporaries like Superman and Batman and others that wears costumes that are often from head to toe. Yet she's a feminist icon according to some and I've even seen some complaints about the attempt to change her costume under the banner of feminism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

    In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

  21. #221
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,799
    I still haven't gotten mine in the mail yet... is that weird?

  22. #222
    Evil Warrior jibernish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    845
    Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    Agreed. The depiction of men in this sort of media tends to get a free pass. I don't subscribe to that myself. Not that I'm saying it's worse or as bad as sexism towards women in media. I mean that's clearly worse and needs to be worked on, but I don't think it's necessarily always clear cut. Though I get the point about He-man being covered up at a time when Teela is wearing less, but I'm not so sure that's automatically evil as some would paint it. I mean Wonder Woman has traditionally worn less while among her male contemporaries like Superman and Batman and others that wears costumes that are often from head to toe. Yet she's a feminist icon according to some and I've even seen some complaints about the attempt to change her costume under the banner of feminism.
    You make some interesting points, and it is kinda grey area to me. Wonder Woman did wear less, so why is that ok and now Teela wearing less isn't (to some of us). All I can say is that it is clear that the intent in stripping her down now is to titillate the audience by sexualizing Teela to a degree she wasn't in the past. so that is what I take issue with. Regardless of anything else, right here, right now, Mattel and DC have decided to sexualize Teela in order to boost sales. I think it changes her character and it makes MOTU look foolish to outsiders. If they want to legitimize the brand to a more mainstream audience, they'd do well not to give the impression that MOTU is for horny teens. If I showed her costume to any of my female friends (who are all big fans of super-hero movies in general and are probably an audience Mattel would do well to tap into), they would think MOTU was juvenile and immature, not to mention sexist.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I heard this song on the way to the movies today, and I couldn't help but think maybe the boys at Mattel and DC were listening to it when they thought up Teela's redesign.

    My blood runs cold, my memory has just been sold, my angel is a centerfold, Teela is a centerfold.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEf8Uj_Yc7U

  23. #223
    Totally Dyslexic Niki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    2,972
    Itīs not Teelas outfit thatīs the problem.

    Itīs the fact that she seems to be to only one with the barbaric feeling to her. For barbarians itīs total normal to wear not much but now that He-man looks anything but barbaric itīs very obvious they use the double standards which are common for years.

    Wonderman had a skimpy skirt back in the 50-ties in the 60-ties she got hot pants in the 80-ties she wore bikini briefs and in the 90-ties her chest got more and more prominent.

    And for example Superman started out in a blue full body suit wit red boots, red briefs and a red cape. Up until this day he is wearing a full body suit with red boots and a red cape. The only things that changed were the style of his briefs and the size and color of his symbol. Now he got rid of the briefs and even is more dressed than ever since they added a collar to his suit.

    But as stated comic books are made for "boys" and they are not interested in other "boys" the donīt even like "girls" but can tolerate them if they look sexy.
    And thatīs the same when you think of MOTUC. Most MOTUC collectors donīt like the POP characters since they are "girls" but even worse. They are not sexy enough, they are fully dressed some are even colored pink and that color is the worst enemy for any "boy"
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither


  24. #224
    Heroic Daddy to Hermione! Uki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The Woodlands,Tx
    Posts
    9,761
    I'm still waiting on my first issue...I'm sure it'll arrive wrinkled. Oi. I just want to read it already!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

    Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

  25. #225
    Heroic Warrior Masamune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,068
    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    You make some interesting points, and it is kinda grey area to me. Wonder Woman did wear less, so why is that ok and now Teela wearing less isn't (to some of us). All I can say is that it is clear that the intent in stripping her down now is to titillate the audience by sexualizing Teela to a degree she wasn't in the past. so that is what I take issue with. Regardless of anything else, right here, right now, Mattel and DC have decided to sexualize Teela in order to boost sales. I think it changes her character and it makes MOTU look foolish to outsiders. If they want to legitimize the brand to a more mainstream audience, they'd do well not to give the impression that MOTU is for horny teens. If I showed her costume to any of my female friends (who are all big fans of super-hero movies in general and are probably an audience Mattel would do well to tap into), they would think MOTU was juvenile and immature, not to mention sexist.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I heard this song on the way to the movies today, and I couldn't help but think maybe the boys at Mattel and DC were listening to it when they thought up Teela's redesign.

    My blood runs cold, my memory has just been sold, my angel is a centerfold, Teela is a centerfold.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEf8Uj_Yc7U

    How has it changed her character though? I don't find that to be true myself. Teela might be said to be overdoing the 'fiesty redhead', but she hasn't been shown to be sexualised in the comic. She did strip down to her underwear in one sequence, but I don't get the impression she's being sexualised there. It's just a weird sequence to me, there's no real shots that objectify her body there. The only place I see that is the cover to the DC/MOTU crossover. To me Teela has largely been herself and sexuality hasn't been touch upon with her character. I don't think there's anywhere near enough proof to claim to know what DC's and the artists intentions clearly are. It's a fantasy/sci-fi setting where something like that isn't necessarily innappropriate. I'm not saying it flat out isn't the case. I could be wrong, but I don't think we should just jump to conclusions.

    Also we generally speaking all have female friends. I wouldn't begin guessing what all of them would react to seeing the comics. I don't think your friends should be held up as the gold standard for women as though that's what we all should be thinking. I mean if Wonder Woman can wear less and be applauded for it then I don't think Teela's outfit is the end of the world either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

    In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •