Thread: Princess of Power: The Next Generation

Princess of Power: The Next Generation

How are people feeling about the new take on Adora in the DC comics? Essentially what we're seeing is a darker, more drawn-out version of the Secret of the Sword. I think a lot of how this story is unfolding (cutting out Etheria for the most part thus far) is influenced by how the Classics story line couldn't feature the Filmation version of Secret of the Sword. The Classics toy line had to work around the Filmation show, which is the bulk of how Princess of Power is experienced by most people (the bios for most of the characters to be featured in the MOTUC toy line were all written BEFORE the Filmation rights were acquired). Though the DC comic is telling a story as if the Filmation material was not accessible, I have a suspicion that the story will eventually shift, leading to a spin-off title - Masters of the Universe: The Princess of Power. We would then get a Princess of Power title that ends up being darker and more "mainstream" and contemporary than what we've ever known before.

How do you feel about that?
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

I'm good with it evolving. I want new material, and with that comes some willingness to expect that it will go in a new creative direction. And, generally, I'm good with darker. I don't need a "happily ever after" ending to a story, and I actually like NOT KNOWING how things will work out.

For some reason I'm fine with DC taking liberties with the telling of She-Ra's tale than I am He-Man's (with his redesign(s) ), the killing of the Sorceress, characters not quite behaving themselves as we used to know them, etc. and am thus far enjoying the ride. Funny that when it comes to She-Ra vs. He-Man storytelling, that the classic Filmation series and now the DC series has She-Ra trumping He-Man. IMO, at least.

I don't accept that Teela'Na is dead. You NEED a Sorceress, and I think it's too soon for Teela to take on the role. So, I think she'll find a way back. Her role is so important to the mythology. Either Teela IS going to take on the role, they're going to bring in Sharella, or Teela'Na is coming back. As for She-Ra being re-written, we've gotten some revamp work with He-Man already - 200x. It's long overdue to bring She-Ra to present day.

I always assumed - going back to the minicomics "Tale of Teela" - that when the Sorceress "died" she just merged with Teela and the two halves of a split being were made whole again. Teela could take advantage of her mother's wisdom and continue with the legacy.

At least, that's how I reconciled it in my head.

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    I think it is too early to really say how successful DC’s take on Adora has been. We need more published comics to make that assessment imo.

I do however like the gritty, tougher, darker and more militaristic style of what we have seen so far. Her leadership role of a large fearsome Horde army makes sense too for someone who is deemed to be particularly talented or special by the Horde.

Similarly, her costume appears practical with its armour for protection of key areas yet allowing free movement for attack and defence which she skilfully uses in hand-to-hand combat. The mask appears designed to terrify and shock others into surrender or submission, and reflects her step-father Hordak’s mask, which is a nice touch. Her weapons so far used give her the ability to fight at close quarters (e.g. swords) or at medium range (e.g. energy blast from staff) giving her flexibility when facing opponents in battle.

For the future story I hope its kept action packed (there’s an invasion on after all), have something significant happen with each serial to keep it entertaining, have some clever plot twists to surprise you, have Adora develop emotions so that people can sympathise with what she is going through and stay true to the common values that people expect and made the original She-Ra so successful. The latter include Adora's strong, independent, capable nature and her innate ability to get out of tight spots and out think Hordak and her other opponents.

And one last remark, given the new costume of He-Man I now have an expectation that once Adora transforms into She-Ra for the first time it will be to her original outfit but later transformations will see her redesigned with pants and more armour to give her a more contemporary feel. Not sure what I will feel about this until I see it.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

The way Despara/Adora was portrayed was certainly far more convincing especially being raised from infancy in the Horde way. When she does turn good, she ought to constantly reflect on the atrocities she committed when she was Despara.
    Last edited by Akai; May 6, 2013 at 04:27pm.

I am enjoying this new take on Adora in a darker setting. I've always wanted to see it this way and happy this darker story is getting an opportunity to be told. I'd like to see the other Princess of Power characters, in this story, to be given a edge and depth as well.
    Manny

We'll get the other POP characters in some form sooner or later, Manny

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyB175 View Post
    I am enjoying this new take on Adora in a darker setting. I've always wanted to see it this way and happy this darker story is getting an opportunity to be told. I'd like to see the other Princess of Power characters, in this story, to be given a edge and depth as well.
    I couldn't agree more. Hordak was always meant to be a darker character not a bumbling goof, so it makes sense that Adora's life would be filled with much darkness....