Thread: What is this cut-out with Man-E-Faces gun on it?

Heroic Podcaster

What is this cut-out with Man-E-Faces gun on it?

Attachment 84165

I picked this up at a toy show recently. Its a flat piece of cardboard with a cut-out of Man-E-Faces gun on it. You punch it out and assemble it! I put it in a Zolocase to hang it up.

Is it part of a costume? Someone help me!
    Angella - BLADE! - Blast Attak - Buzzsaw Hordak - DOUBLE TROUBLE! - Dragstor - ELDOR! - ENTRAPTA! - EXTENDAR! - FLUTTERINA!
    Flying Fists He-Man - Gwildor - Lazer Light He-Man - Lazer Light Skeletor - Mermista - MultiBot - Ninjor - Peekablue - Perfuma
    RIO BLAST! - Rotar - Saurod - Spinnerella - Sssqueeze - SWEET BEE! - Terror Claws Skeletor - Tung Lashor - Twistoid

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    It appears to be a promotional item from 1983, when various actors dressed up as MotU characters and handed these out. I remember reading a news story about that promotion back in the day, which mentioned the characters handing out 'laser guns' but wasn't specific. It wasn't until I saw this years later that I made the connection.

Heroic Podcaster
    Cool, thanks for the info! Anyone else want to verify this or add to it?
    Angella - BLADE! - Blast Attak - Buzzsaw Hordak - DOUBLE TROUBLE! - Dragstor - ELDOR! - ENTRAPTA! - EXTENDAR! - FLUTTERINA!
    Flying Fists He-Man - Gwildor - Lazer Light He-Man - Lazer Light Skeletor - Mermista - MultiBot - Ninjor - Peekablue - Perfuma
    RIO BLAST! - Rotar - Saurod - Spinnerella - Sssqueeze - SWEET BEE! - Terror Claws Skeletor - Tung Lashor - Twistoid

I see this on ebay a lot, but don't know much else about it besides that. If you type in He-Man Prototype, it's currently the last item listed.

Heroic Podcaster
    Cool, will check! Also, your box goes out tomorrow!

It makes sense that these were handed out at toystores, but I can't confirm that. There was a person that showed up at Toys R Us stores dresssed as Man-E-Faces. I assume they were positioned there by Mattel. The costume is pretty cool looking. If you do a google image search for "man-e-faces toys r us" it should be your first hit.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

It's a promotional item that was handed out at various toy store chains / supermarket chains.

Last edited by Tallstar; April 15, 2013 at 06:50am.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I can verify. As a kid I saw the guy in the suit and received this kit. I also recall the guy could change the faces.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Heroic Podcaster
    Awesome, thanks to everyone for the help! It was really bugging me but it was too cool not to get at the toy show!

And thanks to whoever (mods?) changed the thread title!

Tallstar - thanks for that pic! There it is - "lazer gun punchouts". Does anyone here have the Man-E-Faces costume? THAT would be a cool MOTU collectible! I wonder why it was ManE's gun that they chose to make the punchouts of and not He-Man's sword or Skeletor's staff? Of course, those might have been kind of, well, flat...
    Last edited by SunDevil; April 15, 2013 at 10:55am.

Snappy Threader
    Oh this is real cool. Thanks Tallstar for sharing that image....I have never seen or heard about this before, and I thought I was an expert.

Heroic Podcaster
    That's one mistake I never make - thinking I'm an expert at anything.

I'd love to track down a copy of that ad to go with my "lazer gun punchout"!

Heroic Warrior
    I want that Man-E-Faces costume for Halloween!

Finding one of those costumes would be awesome. When I saw him as a kid, I remember the guy in the suit wore these really furry fleece-like gloves. They creeped me out.

Heroic Podcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post
    Finding one of those costumes would be awesome. When I saw him as a kid, I remember the guy in the suit wore these really furry fleece-like gloves. They creeped me out.
    Little did you know, THOSE WERE HIS REAL HANDS!!! DUH DUH DDDUUUHHHHHHHHH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    Oh this is real cool. Thanks Tallstar for sharing that image....I have never seen or heard about this before, and I thought I was an expert.
    NP. Here's another reference to the "cardboard laser guns".

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."