Thread: Netflix revival worth a shot?

Netflix revival worth a shot?

I was reading recently about how Netflix has been taking certain shows and reviving them which made me think of a few shows that Cartoon Network seems to randomly kill off for the sake of it (MOTU, Thundercats, Young Justice). I couldn't help, but wonder if some form of revival on Netflix or somewhere similar could be possible (I think even Amazon are producing programmes stuff these days).

Though I know it's been some time I do feel that many of us have hung onto the idea of seeing some form of season 3 of 200X (even if it were just the plot ideas folded into a new canon). Even if a full season three isn't a possible, I think that a dvd movie or two through them that wraps the 200X story up could be possible. There were some very interesting prospects we never got to see unfold like Teela learning her mother was the Sorceress and so on.

I know it's a long shot, but it's an idea. What do you guys thinks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    this would be a really cool idea. just not sure if they would want to take the time.

I'd back this 110%

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by dagodfather View Post
    I'd back this 110%
    Me too; I really rated the MYP vision of Eternia and thought that they got the characterization and setting exactly right. Along with the Staples/Santalucia MVC comics it represented a golden time for MotU. How different, how VERY different from the dismal DC dross being perpetrated upon poor Eternia nowadays....

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Meh, I'm pretty much done with Netflix. They give raising their prices, removing content, and... oh god, my post is turning out negative on this too.

I definitely would welcome a new He-Man cartoon, but I'd rather it be direct to video movies like DC does over someone like Netflix doing it.

As for a continuation of the 2002 series, honestly, at this point, I'd rather they just started over from scratch and do something similar, but with different ideas. I wouldn't mind a full blown Classics series, as it would follow a lot of the back bone of the 2002 series, but it has more than enough new ideas in it that it would not feel like a rehash of it. Or even a Tales of Eternia series where each episode features a different He-Man throughout the ages. Have the first one be on Oo-Lar and an adaptation of the original mini-comic. Have the second one be about King Grayskull. A third episode on Vikor. And so forth.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    I would LOVE this!!!! Any way to get more MOTU media is great in my book!!! I heard a rumor that Arresting Development was being revived in this way.....funny stuff!!! One can hope

Most likely not going to happen, but it would be awesome if it did. The 200X cartoons have a great story, great action, great continuity, and make good use of all the characters they introduce. Far superior to the Filmation series when you factor out nostalgia.

A series based on the new DC comics would be even better, I think the new DC comics are brilliant.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by yodafreakmaster View Post
    I would LOVE this!!!! Any way to get more MOTU media is great in my book!!! I heard a rumor that Arresting Development was being revived in this way.....funny stuff!!! One can hope
    May 26th!! All 15 episodes of season 4 premieres.

Super excited.

And I am all for this idea. I've been watching House of Cards and I think it's great. If Netflix keeps that calibre with all their shows, this would be amazing.
    The power of Grayskull compels you!

My daughter's Hebrew name is Shira.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I definitely would welcome a new He-Man cartoon, but I'd rather it be direct to video movies like DC does over someone like Netflix doing it.
    That's an interesting alternative idea. I wonder if it's possible for DC to make an original dvd animated movie like they do with Justice League, Batman and Superman etc. I suppose it would depend if Mattel have licensed them the rights for anything more than a comic.
    I hate you. So much.

Nah, I want a new cartoon. There was a lot I really liked about the 200X cartoon, but it wasn't classic or the ideal incarnation as far as I was concerned. I want a NEW vision which is heavily influenced by the original and 200X show, but combines them into something greater - kind of like the MOTUC figure series does....

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    An entirely new, animated show based on the MOTUC storyline that spans the time of Vikor all the way to Primus and the Space Mutants and back to Eternia again.

Warner Bros. Animation Studio does the animation for all of DC's Animated Movies, and since DC has been releasing a MOTU comic, why not a new animated series?

(Hope springs eternal!)
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    I was reading recently about how Netflix has been taking certain shows and reviving them which made me think of a few shows that Cartoon Network seems to randomly kill off for the sake of it (MOTU, Thundercats, Young Justice). I couldn't help, but wonder if some form of revival on Netflix or somewhere similar could be possible (I think even Amazon are producing programmes stuff these days).

Though I know it's been some time I do feel that many of us have hung onto the idea of seeing some form of season 3 of 200X (even if it were just the plot ideas folded into a new canon). Even if a full season three isn't a possible, I think that a dvd movie or two through them that wraps the 200X story up could be possible. There were some very interesting prospects we never got to see unfold like Teela learning her mother was the Sorceress and so on.

I know it's a long shot, but it's an idea. What do you guys thinks?
    Cartoon Network would rather keep stupid ass cartoons like Regular Show, crap that is pure stupidity over something that is actually good. Ben 10 is the exception....even Clone Wars is going bye bye. Netflix is OK, but I'd prefer a different method.

As for 200X, it's gone, I never liked it, don't want to see it come back. If anything would be wrapped up or a movie, I'd like to see Classics Media put out a couple Filmation based episodes to fill in gaps and give a fitting end to that era, but I'd settle for a new Filmation story based or something resembling the Filmation canon, but could go in a different direction. Hell I'd like to see a Season 4 continuation, or a new 5 for Transformers G1....today, both a G1 Transformers and a Filmation styled He-Man would be awesome to watch, no animation restrictions or anything.

But a Filmation based prequel or sequel to the 80's cartoon would be cool, but not the crap ass kiddy animation of say the new Voltron, something like Thundercats was recently....that would be cool.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

I think a Filmation wrap up is another good proposition. Though it it came down to a choice between a Filmation wrap up or a 200X one then the 200X would win hands down. I just can't watch Filmation as an adult. It's just too childish. To me the storytelling and animation of the 200X show is more appealing. Though I'd happily go for a new iteration and a new spin on motu stories (if it was aimed at a wider audience and not just at young kids like Filmation or like current shows like Ultimate Spider-man).
    I hate you. So much.

I wish they would do both, Their are so many characters that were never used like: Extendar, Dragstor, Rotar and Blast-Attak.

I would prefer a brand new cartoon come out as opposed to a continuation of the MYP or any other previous He-Man/She-Ra show.

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    I would really like to see the series return, though I would prefer a Classics type cartoon. Now if we were to get both, that would be something!

Quote Originally Posted by masterenglish View Post
    I would really like to see the series return, though I would prefer a Classics type cartoon. Now if we were to get both, that would be something!
    Just what I was thinking! Season 3 of 200X would be epic. But a Classics 'toon could be amazing too...
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

I would be fine with a 200X revival but I think I would prefer a new cartoon based more on the MOTUC bios with the looks based on the MOTUC figures.
    View my collection and customs HERE!

I would love to see it happen, but there just isn't a compelling reason for a company to do it.

Shows that have been revived (Arrested Development, Family Guy, Futurama, etc) were selling millions of units of DVDs. In other words they were making massive amounts of money on old content.

No one is going to revive a show that at its peak sold 10s of thousands of DVDs.

And if we do get new animated content, I would just about guarantee it will be an all-new show. Its going to be something that starts from scratch, does not require continuity from a 10 or 30 year old show and is going to be in conjunction with a new line of toys and merchandise to help support it.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post

And if we do get new animated content, I would just about guarantee it will be an all-new show. Its going to be something that starts from scratch, does not require continuity from a 10 or 30 year old show and is going to be in conjunction with a new line of toys and merchandise to help support it.
    Yeah, this is what I see too. Something new loosely based and/or inspired by the previous incarnations. I doubt they'll go back to the well to repeat the same approach that has, for whatever reason, fallen short of the mark in the past no matter how much we as hardcore fans may love it.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I would love to see it happen, but there just isn't a compelling reason for a company to do it.

Shows that have been revived (Arrested Development, Family Guy, Futurama, etc) were selling millions of units of DVDs. In other words they were making massive amounts of money on old content.

No one is going to revive a show that at its peak sold 10s of thousands of DVDs.

Plus I doubt that the Netflix original programming model would have the budget to create brand new animatin on par with the MYP show. Decent animation can cost a lot to make because it is a lengthy, complicated process.

By comparison, Arrested Development is probably easier to bring back since in simplified terms it's as simple as getting the sets and actors back, pointing a camera at them, and shooting.

Even if the MYP show had DVD sales close to or on par with those other shows, producing more episodes or a new series for Netflix would probably fall outside of their budget.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Maybe. But I doubt the cost of animation is more than the salaries of the AD cast.