Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much money is too much for MOTUC?

How much money is too much for MOTUC?

The cost of classics second hand is powered by demand. It seems the most in demand at the moment are Beat Man, Teela, and Sorceress. Each can fetch up to and over $100.

I just paid nearly $70 for a loose Beast man with no weapon. I've got a line on a Sorceress with a bad paint job. I'm not a completest. I'm just after the core heros and villians.

My question is how much is to much to pay for a figure? Loose or Carded, ect.

I think that's a matter of opinion based on the individual, what you can afford and how bad you want the figure. Being new to collecting the line myself I have a lot of catching up to do, and for me Teela, Sorceress, Fisto and Shadow Weaver seem almost unattainable right now. The factors I take into account when deciding how much I'm willing pay are; How long has the figure been out, was it an exclusive(Shadow Weaver, Orko, Marleena ect), and how much I need the character to be in my collection, cause for me some characters have more nostalgia/sentimental value then others. In the end, newer standard figures I'm not willing to pay much over $40 for. Plus always keep your eyes peeled, you can find some pretty good deals out there

Honestly, I refuse to pay such high inflated prices....I have better things to spend my money on.

Before BF/CM 2011 I passed on Teela, Tri-Klops and MAA....now I like many considered them as true essentials, but I wasn't paying $60 - $100 for any one of them....plus I wasn't interested in fighting Ebay auctions to get them either. Thanks to Matty finally coming off of them, I got Teela for $18, and MAA & Klops for $10 a piece....but around $40 is my limit for a normal monthly release figure, maybe $60 for an exclusive....that's it.

And as for a brand new figure like Hordak....I have no plans to pay $60 to $100+ for him....he's still brand new, still will be offered on Matty, I can wait and pay $25 for him, and not fund any scalpers. If I can't get him for $40 or under....then like before with MAA, TK & Teela....I just don't need him that badly.
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

MAA is one of next month's reissues, I'm hoping to get him then

I'm new to the line. I have 27 figures now (and 5 more are in the mail) and that leaves 70 or so that I don't have. As much as I want Beast-Man, Fisto, and Teela, they'll just have to wait. I can only get a few figures every month and so I'll work my way through the more reasonable ones for now and hope Matty changes their mind about re-issues.

I haven't paid over $50 for any figure yet. I can't imagine ever spending $100 or more.

I've got about 24 figures right now, and the most I paid was $41 shipped for MOC Queen Marlena. I figure if it comes to it I can devote part of my tax return to the more expensive figures down the road

A while back (like, a few years ago), I decided that I'd only collect the "leader" characters. This was pretty much due to He-Man and Skeletor becoming available in the DC vs. MOTUC 2-packs. Keep in mind this was before He-Man and Skelly were available all the time on matty.
    So anyway, it's not a difficult task. He-Man and Skelly are mine due to the 2-packs, and Vikor and Demo-Man (leaders in my opinion) were quick and easy to get DOS. Now, Hordak and She-Ra are always available. I still need Catra (in my opinion, a "leader") and since I'm on a roll, why not get a whole bunch of classic villain characters?
    But Trap-Jaw and Beast Man keep going for way too much! How much is too much for me? Over $35.
    Sigh. For a toy. A piece of plastic.
    But I will pay that much. And apparently, it's not enough. For a piece of plastic.
    But it's a hobby that we love. And some of us are willing to pay more. Some of us are willing to go nuts over it. It happens, and it always will.
    Back in the day when Magic: The Gathering was huge (and I mean HUGE), a friend traded 3 cards for a fully-functioning waterbed. No joke!
    People will always find things to obsess over. I want my Trap-Jaw and Beast Man, but I have my limits. How much is "To" much? $35 I guess. If that means I get nothing, well, I guess I can continue to indulge in almond milk and organic food for another week. When I feel like limiting my grocery purchases and treating me and my fiancee to nice dinners, I'll probably pay more for figures I don't need.

I have the vast majority of the figures and I guess the figure I paid most for was Shadow Weaver. I got her for £80 which was a lot. Currently I am after King He-man... but he tends to go for around £60... which is about ten quid more than i want to pay for him. I am sure I will get him at some point though. I enjoy the hunt!

I have long since given up hope of finding a Wundar for a sensible price.
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

Heroic Warrior
    I sold a lot of stuff (also Ram Man, Moss Man, Stratos) over the last months, because I don't want a 2,000 $ figure collection, money I can spent for my Audi or the other daily things in life.

As a cherry picker, collecting stuff is easy, if you only buy what you want. I won't pay 60$ for a Fang Man or a Spirit of Hordak. Those plastic figures are not worth that much for me.

I know, this line is hot at the moment, but if this line has an end and the passion cool down, many fans will look at their collections and will ask themselves, if putting several thousands of $$$ into this hobby was the right decision.

Merry Christmas! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    I know, this line is hot at the moment, but if this line has an end and the passion cool down, many fans will look at their collections and will ask themselves, if putting several thousands of $$$ into this hobby was the right decision.
    I think a lot of toy collecting is part of the chase. Especially for anyone that is a completist. I remember when I got into comic books in the early 90's, and wanted all the Marvel Toy Biz figures. I eventually started to question buying characters I had no idea who they were (like some of the X-Force figures). It caused me to stop buying all Marvel figures completely.

This MOTUC line has succeeded because it's sprinkled in the less famous characters, but we're getting to the point where the less famous or new characters like the Fighting Foe Men and Karatti are taking a big chunk of dollars, and we're running out of the vintage.

Every cool toyline is fun to collect at the beginning. Then you hit that wall where the character selection isn't as great. You lose some to many loyal customers because they're tired of it (just human nature). And for anyone new to the line, they can't get a hold of some essentials, and that is frustrating. I know some on here have these wonderful arguments to get all the NA figures or 200x necessary figures out one day, but that will probably be the death nail for MOTUC (even though the Four Horsemen can turn mostly anything into gold). Heck, the 2012 and 2013 sub were both lower numbers than previous years because of somewhat unwanted 3-packs.

Hopefully we get as many figures in the next few years before prices skyrocket and fans abandon the line. This is why I'm elated we're finally getting Castle Grayskull before it got even more expensive. Hopefully Snake Mountain is next. I believe Mattel and the Four Horsemen that toy prices are rapidly rising, look at the outrageous prices for Star Wars and other lines. Action figures as we know them are a dying hobby. I think it's critical that 2014 and 2015 are loaded with figures. Enough not to appear too expensive, but enough to complete the vintage MOTU and POP collections. Anything else in the future is a bonus, but it's a race against time.

Eh...I've been collecting toys regularly since about...oh, 98. I mean I've kept a lot of my junk from when I was a kid, so technically longer, but around 98 was when I stopped being afraid to actually buy new toys (for the most part). Since then I've never been fond of buying things for after market prices. In some cases I can see it, with really old toys. But stuff like this? I dunno. Anything over about ten bucks more than the original price is too much for me. I just go without it. ESPECIALLY since this toyline is so expensive straight from Mattel. On top of that, people are selling thier collections every so often, and there are so many friendly folks on this site that I honestly figure I can get something at cost if I really need it. Granted, I'm sure that doesn't count for figures like FISTO (but I've got one so I'm good there) but in most cases I'm just not gona shell out a ton for newer toys.

BUT...that's just me. Everyone has to make thier own decisions on what is worth what. It's not worth it for ME because I collect SO MUCH other stuff that it's not prudent to go spending a ton on one figure that came out in the last year or two. However, that might change if I were ONLY collecting MotUC. Who knows? All depends on the circumstances.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by MykEdwards View Post
    A while back (like, a few years ago), I decided that I'd only collect the "leader" characters. This was pretty much due to He-Man and Skeletor becoming available in the DC vs. MOTUC 2-packs. Keep in mind this was before He-Man and Skelly were available all the time on matty.
    So anyway, it's not a difficult task. He-Man and Skelly are mine due to the 2-packs, and Vikor and Demo-Man (leaders in my opinion) were quick and easy to get DOS. Now, Hordak and She-Ra are always available. I still need Catra (in my opinion, a "leader") and since I'm on a roll, why not get a whole bunch of classic villain characters?
    But Trap-Jaw and Beast Man keep going for way too much! How much is too much for me? Over $35.
    Sigh. For a toy. A piece of plastic.
    But I will pay that much. And apparently, it's not enough. For a piece of plastic.
    But it's a hobby that we love. And some of us are willing to pay more. Some of us are willing to go nuts over it. It happens, and it always will.
    Back in the day when Magic: The Gathering was huge (and I mean HUGE), a friend traded 3 cards for a fully-functioning waterbed. No joke!
    People will always find things to obsess over. I want my Trap-Jaw and Beast Man, but I have my limits. How much is "To" much? $35 I guess. If that means I get nothing, well, I guess I can continue to indulge in almond milk and organic food for another week. When I feel like limiting my grocery purchases and treating me and my fiancee to nice dinners, I'll probably pay more for figures I don't need.
    With shipping, a NEW figure costs over $35. You might have to bend a little if you want to get anything on the secondary market.

I agree with Veronica Mars. It's really up to the individual. But if you go by the Org fan polls we did for year-end 2012, 30.00 a figure seems to be the limit for most folks still hanging in there. 25.00 was already the limit for a lot of fans.

The limit for me is $40. That is the most I've paid for a single figure (Moss Man), and even that was a hard pill to swallow. But I've been able to purchase every figure I've wanted without going over my limit.
    Contact BadVermin for all your customs and repaints.

I paid about 80 each for MOC Beast-Man and Scare Glow. I opened them dudes up immediately. Felt good, man.

I spent about 55ish each on loose Stinkor and Wun-Dar. It hurt to pay that much for Stinkor but it was part of a group lot, so on the whole I think I did okay.

For me, for most figures Matty prices are already the limit or over it, which is why I didn't renew my sub for this year. Most I've ever paid for a (standard) figure is $50 (includes international shipping), when I bought my BA He-Man from Ebay, couple of years ago.

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

All depends for each individual. I think 25.00 a figure is ok considering the Marvel Legends and Marvel Select i buy range from 17-25. Second hand, it depends even more. I still need a flocked ears Moss Man but am unwilling to pay the ebay price. But I have no problem dropping money on a figure if its something i want.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

All depends on what figure it is i guess. Regular and Bronze SDCC King Grayskull were always gonna be expensive. The BA Faker vs Bizarro 2 Pack is up there as well from what i've seen and bought for myself personally.
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

Heroic Warrior
    Most people who started the line from the start refuse to pay more cause they have most of the figures, it's easy to say you'll never pay more then $25 for a figure when you have one and that is what you paid originally. From what ive seen for the most part, the people who are new to the line understand if they want certain figures they'll have to pay or else pass on them. I've sold collections 3 times over now and most people I've dealt with know the going market value and are pretty reasonable. Just pay what you are comfortable paying, everyone has their own value on stuff.

I don't like to go above $35.00 including shipping. So $25 figure plus $10 shipping or $30 figure + $5 shipping, etc, etc...
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

It's what you can afford versus how bad you want it. You know people spend money on cigarettes, alcohol and eating out which if you look back on is far more expensive and valueless then collecting any toy line. Also won't cause you health problems maybe just a divorce. LOL. I say do whatever makes you happy and doesn't hurt others. So buy more toy's!!!!
    "Problems Weaver?"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

$50 is my limit on an individual character. That's what I paid for Shadow Weaver.

I have bought most of my currently 59 figures for retail with shipping or on sale and under retail....from Matty DOS (new or old stock), BF/CM sales or sub. And as I said back in 2011, Teela, MAA & Tri-Klops had been AWOL from Matty, and going for well more than I would pay for them on Ebay, I saw MAA on BBTS for $45 and went to buy him a few minutes later, he was already gone....same with TK....so, I had to play the waiting game, and Matty did provide me all 3 for under $20 each. I played mad catch-up (well catch-up for the figures I wanted) from July to December 2011...and my First Matty DOS was Man-E-Faces & I think Beast Man's re-issue, which I promptly bought too. I was able to get almost every figure in 2012 I wanted (even Shadow Weaver, Sorceress & Fisto), except Griffin, had to wait on him, and the Snake Men....still debating them and Mosquitor. And I have the main sub and Filmation sub for 2013....so $25 is my max cap for new retail buying month to month, if they are more in 2014....I will buy my last couple from BBTS (when, and if they come out) and walk away.

Non Matty purchases

$40 shipped for Mer-Man,
    $27 for Keldor
    $25 for Faker
    $51 for SDCC Orko & Adam
    $30 shipped for She-Ra (my first one)
    $15 for TRU Stratos (loose)
    $20 Mo-Larr Skeletor (loose)

$60 for Shadow Weaver (but I resold her a few months ago, sadly, I needed parts for my car)
    $35 for TRU Zodac 2-pk
    $18 for BA Skeletor
    $18 for Hurricane Hordak

$37 shipped for Griffin
    $40 for Wun-Dar (loose, complete)

At first I had more money from selling off a lot of my unwanted Transformers, and I didn't mind paying up to $50 or so for something that was worth it....but now 2 years later, I won't be paying a ton of cash for anything....Granamyr & Foe Men being exceptions....I'll pay $25 for new figures....that's it, I won't be playing the Roulette game on Ebay for new figures. If I miss one I miss it, I have the sub so I won't be missing any hopefully, and hopefully I find Spiritdak....
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    I would pay more for a Two Bad or Tung Lashor, but those are my faves, I wouldn't pay more than 20$ for a regular figure like Horde Prime, Dekker or a Fighting Foe Man.

well I make a point not to go over the 100 mark for a figure. I'm trying to get a teela myself too but those ebay prices are too much I also wante whiplash who also goes for insane prices but I was lucky and anble to source one elswhere for 30 unfortunately I've had no luck finding Teela and I not a fan of the BG version dunno why. the most expensive one I've bought so far was Rammy and the member who sold him to me gave me a great deal on him. though I will say as MOTUC isn't the only line I collect I have spent silly money on other rare stuff like some of the ultra rare Gi joes i've dropped a bit on.