Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Cleveland Show Cancelled

Heroic Warrior
    Let's face it, "raunchy" cartoons as a whole are just played out. Cartoons made for adults have been going downhill for a long time now. Using the same cliched comedy devices to try to get laughs. Adult Swim and Animation Domination should both either go to a premium cable channel and take it to the next level, go all out with whatever they all want to do, or just slowly fade away on broadcast TV and basic cable, because they can't do much more on either. When raunchy adult cartoons first came out way back when they were all cool because we weren't used to it, now that we are used to them all we're slowly but surely beginning to watch them and realize they're repeating themselves. They've all reached their low potential.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider1227 View Post
    I don't know, M*A*S*H never got stale and that went on for 12 seasons
    I kind of enjoyed it but this is no great loss
    Actually, it ran for 11 seasons and only had 255 episodes. That is close enough to 200 (and honestly, I can still deal with 300, but anymore is really pushing it).
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by grinningidiot View Post
    Let's face it, "raunchy" cartoons as a whole are just played out. Cartoons made for adults have been going downhill for a long time now. Using the same cliched comedy devices to try to get laughs. Adult Swim and Animation Domination should both either go to a premium cable channel and take it to the next level, go all out with whatever they all want to do, or just slowly fade away on broadcast TV and basic cable, because they can't do much more on either. When raunchy adult cartoons first came out way back when they were all cool because we weren't used to it, now that we are used to them all we're slowly but surely beginning to watch them and realize they're repeating themselves. They've all reached their low potential.
    Heard of 'Archer'? It's Adult Swim, or more specifically Sealab 2021, gone mainstream. The entire world loves it, apparently. I watched a couple of episodes and grimaced because I'd seen it all before, and it was funny when I was 20 but now it's just stupid and predictable. But now that the mainstream has latched onto this genre, I'm afraid we're only getting started.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by Donatello View Post
    Heard of 'Archer'? It's Adult Swim, or more specifically Sealab 2021, gone mainstream. The entire world loves it, apparently. I watched a couple of episodes and grimaced because I'd seen it all before, and it was funny when I was 20 but now it's just stupid and predictable. But now that the mainstream has latched onto this genre, I'm afraid we're only getting started.
    Honestly, Archer's first two seasons were fantastic, but the third season was pretty lackluster. Outside of a few specifics, such as the train episode, Season 3 was a let down and I have heard Season 4 is not very good. It's time to end the show because they are out of ideas.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah, apparently everyone's fallen in love with Archer. I liked it when I first watched it, but then I quickly realized their "formula" for comedy and quickly got bored with it. They can say the s-word on the show, so they use it as a crutch and say it 1000 times an episode and call it comedy. They also scream every line at each other, trying to prove that yelling jokes makes them funnier, the "Dane Cook" approach to comedy. I highly doubt that with this one show adult cartoons are still on their way up. Adults have a stronger sense of what's trying to be sold to them than teens and will move on to something else quicker. Kids and teens lap up anything that's being sold to them, and they're really who these adult cartoons are aimed at.

Quote Originally Posted by grinningidiot View Post
    Yeah, apparently everyone's fallen in love with Archer. I liked it when I first watched it, but then I quickly realized their "formula" for comedy and quickly got bored with it. They can say the s-word on the show, so they use it as a crutch and say it 1000 times an episode and call it comedy. They also scream every line at each other, trying to prove that yelling jokes makes them funnier, the "Dane Cook" approach to comedy. I highly doubt that with this one show adult cartoons are still on their way up. Adults have a stronger sense of what's trying to be sold to them than teens and will move on to something else quicker. Kids and teens lap up anything that's being sold to them, and they're really who these adult cartoons are aimed at.
    I disagree. El Secuestro was one of the funniest episodes, and mostly due to the plot (Cheryl lies, and tells kidnappers that Pam is her. Then nobody seems to want to help Pam which only makes the payoff at the end more hilarious.).
    there is some toilet humor sure. But it's the combination of bathroom jokes with character plots, and development that makes it funny.

Venture Bros has been going strong for 8 years, and it's an adult show with very little low brow humor. There is SOME. But not the focal point. It's still a wonderful parody of Silver Age comics, and Johnny Quest.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Snappy Threader
    I always thought it was a pretty good adult humor show...it's a shame it will be over.