Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU / DC Crossover Comic Mini-Series #1 Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    "Hate" is all I seem to see when it concerns the new comic book. DC Comics doesn't have to make any Masters of the Universe stuff for anyone if they really don't want to. Enough hate perpetuated across the internet and DC might finally hear it and pull the entire series if they see fit. As I've been saying since summer of 2012, just be happy we get a new He-Man ANYTHING.
    I love MOTU, but that doesn't mean I unconditionally like and buy anything churned out with a MOTU logo on. Personally I'm not going to just be happy that something exists because it has the MOTU name on it. I need to actually enjoy the writting, characters and designs etc.

He looks very snakelike to me from the waist up. Is that what they were going for?
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

I showed the picture to my wife and she laughed, calling him "Too Much Pizza Skeletor."

Again, you know... I really don't mind a new design, but me no likey this one.

We'll have to see how this plays out.
    -KTC

My FREE full-length MOTU novel:

MOTU: The Keldor Chronicles

And its newly-released sequel (which is also FREE):

MOTU: Legacies

Garbage. Just another pointless change in order to create controversy, to generate discussion.

Skeletor stole Tuskador's armor and repainted it.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Ugh. I really, really hope that this is some storyline armor. That armor is way too clunky for a mage...it's more like a bruiser's costume.

Heh, for every power-up He-Man gets, Skeletor gets one.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Garbage. Just another pointless change in order to create controversy, to generate discussion.
    I'm sure there is a reason for the change and it is not to just stir up the fanboys.

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    I love MOTU, but that doesn't mean I unconditionally like and buy anything churned out with a MOTU logo on. Personally I'm not going to just be happy that something exists because it has the MOTU name on it. I need to actually enjoy the writting, characters and designs etc.
    I don't buy everything with the MOTU logo on it either. I haven't even bought a single figure from the MOTUC line mostly due to the ridiculous pricing. Yeah, there are some at Big Lots now, but I don't plan on finding the out of the way Big Lots store to go figure hunting. Those days are over.

Who the hell is Tuskador? Some video game character?

I'm sure there is a reason for the change and it is not to just stir up the fanboys.
    Most likely. And, besides, DC shouldn't be getting all of the hate from those who hate the new comic. According to Pop Mhan, the new armor for He-Man came from Mattel so I wouldn't doubt if Skeletor's armor also came from the same source.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    I don't buy everything with the MOTU logo on it either. I haven't even bought a single figure from the MOTUC line mostly due to the ridiculous pricing. Yeah, there are some at Big Lots now, but I don't plan on finding the out of the way Big Lots store to go figure hunting. Those days are over.

Who the hell is Tuskador? Some video game character?

Most likely. And, besides, DC shouldn't be getting all of the hate from those who hate the new comic. According to Pop Mhan, the new armor for He-Man came from Mattel so I wouldn't doubt if Skeletor's armor also came from the same source.
    Looks like Tuskador is a character from the New Adventures of He-Man cartoon (I had to look it up). I don't remember him, but to be fair I don't remember much of that cartoon at all. Anyway, we know that the tusks for Skeletor are there because of his broken jaw and I imagine there will be other story reasons for the rest of the look. It's definitely the most bizarre Skeletor variant I have seen, but I am not too bothered by it. I'm more intrigued by what the story is and am looking forward to the first issue next week.

Well... I like the shot of him generally defeating everybody like this... but I am not a fan of the redesign.
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    I kinda like the new comic series generally. This Skeletor reboot, however, is horrible. Someone please re-leash him!

I'd just like to say, calling that "Tuskador-esque" is an insult to Tuskador.

Are the "tusks" actually on him OR apart of the armor around him? I'm sure we'll find out more about this in the comic. But tragically this Skeletor redesign is way over the top and I'm insulted.

Chewer of Trollans
    His design probably has something to do with his benefactor? Does it look a little Monitor-ish? I don't know DC's characters quite as well as Marvel's.

This design is atrocious. His skull face looks so small and diminished with that uber thick neck. The proportions are all wrong - especially since we are at a high angle looking down on him, his head should be LARGER not smaller. Why does everyone have to have this sleak techno-armor that has all the pieces fit so perfectly together? I much prefer the original barbarian and sorcerer/mage look than this new stream-lined bulky armor design.

They've covered up everything about Skeletor that helps define his character. Modern hero design has turned in to make everything look like plated armor and future-tech. His power shouldn't be represented by sheer mass alone - he could be thin and frail, the terrifying factor as always been his face, his pale blue hands and his monstrously disfigured feet. He's supposed to look like a monster - not the terminator.

I think a lot of the reaction here is a little overboard. It's an alternate look. I think it's kind of cool for a powered up version of Skeletor, and I'm a huge fan of classic Skeletor! I tell you what, I kind of want this "Skeletor Unleashed" and "New 52 He-Man" MOTUC figures. I mean why not considering all the vintage variants, NA and 200x looks?

And to people thinking he looks fat, look again, he's wearing a cape. I think something about the coloring or shading makes the cape look like part of his body, making him look fat. But I do believe he's not fat, just wearing bulky armor and a cape.
    Last edited by skelethon; August 27, 2013 at 09:10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by skelethon View Post
    I think a lot of the reaction here is a little overboard. It's an alternate look. I think it's kind of cool for a powered up version of Skeletor, and I'm a huge fan of classic Skeletor! I tell you what, I kind of want this "Skeletor Unleashed" and "New 52 He-Man" MOTUC figures. I mean why not considering all the vintage variants, NA and 200x looks?

And to people thinking he looks fat, look again, he's wearing a cape. I think something about the coloring or shading makes the cape look like part of his body, making him look fat. But I do believe he's not fat, just wearing bulky armor and a cape.
    I agree. I like this design of Skeletor. I love that he's so powerful that he can take out the JL and MOTU. that's not easy at all to do.

Look at the size of his foot. Its bigger than Baby Man-At-Arms' chest and Baby Superman barely comes up past his knee when sitting. Skele-tusk looks like he's the size of Doomsday or Darkseid.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRetro View Post
    Look at the size of his foot. Its bigger than Baby Man-At-Arms' chest and Baby Superman barely comes up past his knee when sitting. Skele-tusk looks like he's the size of Doomsday or Darkseid.
    Yea that's pretty awesome! Power! So much power! Skeletor is finally a threat on a universal scale. I approve!
    Last edited by Jrod; August 27, 2013 at 09:44pm.

Quote Originally Posted by tenno View Post
    His design probably has something to do with his benefactor? Does it look a little Monitor-ish? I don't know DC's characters quite as well as Marvel's.
    I was wondering if he might either have merged with Anti-Monitor or stolen some of his power or something? It'd go a long way toward explaining the design.

Heroic Warrior
    I wonder if this means that the Anti-Monitor is his dark master in this miniseries?

I confess I'm just not into it.

200x were cool redesigns in my opinion, they kept the character's escence. This new costumes are just far from what Masters of the Universe look and feel is.
    What the heck, I am just another rebel!

O'hartley

Pretty awesome, in as far as DC Universe is concerned. I'm sure it's only temporary, but hey, at least they are trying new things. As I say, you evolve and try different things or you are dead. And I want MOTU to be very much alive.

So yeah, it's pretty tops, for menace. I am left wondering if he will in fact have a lower jaw. And if not, does his speach bubbles just eminate from the hollow jawneck area?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by skelethon View Post

What a well reasoned thought out thoughtful insight. Thank you sir. Not enough fans of the mythos to keep it alive and evolving as I said above. Only way to keep it going is to try to look past nostalgia goggles and see what it is you love (or thought you loved) about our favourite property.

hope for more comments like this.

For what it's worth, would I be bothered if they did keep the looks? nope. But is it a big deal that they are trying new things? nope.

Frankly even as much as I hated the Transformer movie designs, had the story worked I would have been ok with it. Frankly the first movie is a masterwork now, considering what came later.

So I just hope the story is good, because that is going to determine if this is skeletor or not.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Wow, he kinda looks like an elephant.
    check out my artwork at geooco.blogspot.com

Can I just say I find it very tiresome if someone doesn't like something they automatically have "nostalgia goggles."

Just like I don't think people who like the new stuff should be accused of being non-discriminating fans who will lap up anything, I don't think trying to marginalize those who think differently than you by just dismissing them is cool. The fact is there are, I feel, some very legitimate reasons to not love the new looks of some of these characters without it stemming from not liking things to change.

From my point of view, I can really appreciate a new look if it's done well. The bulk of 200X fell into this category for me. I like the 87 movie He-man and Skeletor costumes, too. And, as time has gone on, there are things in the new comics I have grown to like more and more. I kind of dig where they are taking Teela, for instance. Man-At-Arms has always looked pretty good. Stratos looks pretty good, too. Even the new He-man suit looks decent, though it depends on who is drawing it, I've found. But, if I see something that looks badly designed I'm going to say it. Not because they changed it, but because what they've offered instead just does not look cool, in my eyes.

If Skeletor is being powered by Anti-Monitor, then this isn't so bad. I wouldn't go so far to say it's a great design. But it's not bad. I think seeing more than just one shot on a cover is required, too, though.