Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU / DC Crossover Comic Mini-Series #1 Discussion

Yay, even less dignity for Teela's costume! Thanks, DC!

Yay! The rematch I've been waiting for! Nd this time, their pals are coming! Woohoo!

...Still waiting to get my (wrinkled, likely) issue of #1...
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior
    It would be a good time to revive the MOTUC vs DCUC line to tie into the comic.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    It would be a good time to revive the MOTUC vs DCUC line to tie into the comic.
    Fisto vs that MOTUC-looking Batman would be cool (because so many people want Fisto, and that Batman uses the MOTUC buck).
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    According to the website Newsarama, it is a 6 issue limited series. It seems to tie into the end of the MOTU miniseries.

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulff View Post
    Based on some comments from the bleeding cool forums:

Attachment 84607
    so funny!!!

When i see the new costume like this, its not all bad! This is actually something that could work in a movie i think. A few changes, sure! but interresting take on he man.
    The Crossover .... Hmm... I dont know.
    Evil Heroic Norwegian

This is the worst He-Man I've ever seen. Too bad, So Sad.

I like DC is engaging with MOTU, I don't know but this could be a door to a videogame or maybe a animated movie straight to DVD ,who knows?
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Y'know I might actually check this out!

As long as I can be assured that Judd Winnick isn't writing it.

Heroic Warrior
    Love the idea of the cross-over comic. Hates He-Man's stupid costume redesign, and Teela's just keeps getting cut wrong.
    Good trades with: Cammor

I'm glad that MOTUC is getting more releases and I'll buy every issue that comes out.

But, I do dislike the costume changes. What's with the obsession to introduce tights/pants on every male character and at the same time minimize clothing on female characters? I mean, I can see the sense in armoring up from time to time. Just give armor to everyone equally, please.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Exactly. People do forget this. Not that you have to like it, of course, but you should at least acknowledge that it is a positive step forward, rather than all the steps backwards the brand has taken in the last ten years.
    I can not see it any other way, it's a great news, everywhere you look. I must admit I'm tired of the "never happy" people, everything is poorly received,but not here on org .
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew L. Martin View Post
    And now the circle is complete. AFAIK, He-Man's first appearance outside the first four mini-comics was with Superman coming to Eternia in DC Comics Presents #47.

Now, the question is: Does He-Man win the fight this time?

You mean how Superman knocked out He-Man in three panels? I never cared for that either, really. Looking back, that book (supposed to introduce MOTU to the DCU of the 80's) completely was a Superman domination book, making He-Man and the MOTU look like weaklings compared to the awesome god-like might of Superman, a character who went through numerous increases of strength back in those days. In the 80's pre-crisis I think Superman could move a sun...........completely stupid...

This upcoming cross over between the 'New 52' DCU and the 'New with influence from the Classic' MOTU looks interesting. From that teaser art alone it looks as though these characters are going to be treated as warrior counterparts this time around.

He-Man, in all of the incarnations, is supposed to possess the strength of a demi-god, the power of Grayskull! In the 80's 'From Eternia With Death' He-Man is the strongest warrior on the planet yet Superman clobbers him (in true DC in house fan service of the time) in three panels. Totally ridiculous.

In a more logical battle between He-Man and Superman, their strengths would more than likely be more evenly matched confined to the more current power levels established in the new universes. Yeah, Superman has a few more powers but has always relied on his muscle to deal with muscle bound adversaries. He-Man and Superman would probably cause a lot of property damage in a tussle.

What's up with He-Man's sword in that pic?? Resembles She-Ra's a bit. Perhaps it'll be explained along with the new armor. I'm figuring, based on that crest He-Man is wearing in the pic, it is supposed to be the new universe's version of the battle armor.

I actually don't mind the new armor on He-Man. It, really, makes more sense. More coverage offers better protection against enemies.

Will the cross over take place within it's own comic series or will it be interspersed between the MOTU title and the mainstream 'New 52' titles? I just want the MOTU characters to be better represented this time around and treated with as much respect and capability as those of the DCU.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post

But, I do dislike the costume changes. What's with the obsession to introduce tights/pants on every male character and at the same time minimize clothing on female characters? I mean, I can see the sense in armoring up from time to time. Just give armor to everyone equally, please.
    I see it like this. The heroes and villains of Greek and Roman mythology were always depicted as muscle bound and athletic characters. These characters in comic books (DC, MARVEL, MOTU...etc...) basically ARE our version of mythological gods and goddesses. They are going to be depicted as such. The men are going to be rippling with muscle and power and the women are going to be agile, athletic and most of their bodies will be shown off. They are all basically the kind of powerful heroes that real life people can really never achieve in real world circumstances so the more over the top exploitation the better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    I can not see it any other way, it's a great news, everywhere you look. I must admit I'm tired of the "never happy" people, everything is poorly received,but not here on org .
    There are always going to be 'never happy' people when it comes to newer takes on MOTU. I try to ignore them(as respectfully as possible) and concentrate on the positives coming our way. MOTU lives again in comic book form. That alone is pretty cool.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL...

This is VERY exciting.
    – No comment.

Heroic Warrior
    Yuk! Tight robotic He-crotch, I for one hate this, to me there is no conection to earth whatsoever, and that includes the queen. Still good for the brand I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    According to Buzzfeed a crossover between Masters of the Universe and the DC Universe will start this August.

It will be written by Giffen and illustrated by Dexter Soy.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...5&d=1368205820
    Blah. I hate mixing universes... It is always 100% never canon and is usually just a gimmick to get readers. But if it generates interest for MOTU than I am cool with it.

On the surface, this sounds fun.

However, I haven't heard good things about New 52, and I don't like what I've been hearing about the DC MotU, so... I probably won't like this.

Awesome news!! I do enjoy crossovers - Batman/Spawn, Avengers/JLA, Marvel Zombies/Army of Darkness - these are fun reads. Let's you go in and out without having to know what's going on in the regular titles. I've stopped buying comics but this crossover mini-series and the on-going series will get me back in for the time being. I enjoyed the MOTU digitals but passed on the 90s Image inspired mini. This will be great exposure for the brand!
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!

I'm not a huge fan of this sort of crossover. I don't consider MOTU in the DC universe even though DC make the comics. Good advertising for the brand though.
    Really dislike He-mans new outfit. Looks more like Adam. The new outfit is the straw the broke the camels back for me. Haven't enjoyed the new comic so far and find the characters actually quite unlikable. Not even keen on it to look at now so I won't be buying anymore. May still get the TPB though.

I find it funny how they have Teela wearing less and less clothing but He-man wearing more.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not a fan of crossovers, either - and this one seems to me to be an utter failure of imagination - an inability to appreciate the thousands of exciting possibilities within the existing framework of Eternia.
    So I really can't see the point.

I suppose, in the end, it's a question of balance; increased coverage could (under the right circumstances) be good for the brand, yes.
    BUT; are these really the right circumstances? Or are we seeing here the pimping of MoTU to sheer commercial advantage for those with their snouts in the swilltub?

Personally, I am NOT against change and development, and have never, ever stated that I want the past preserved in amber. But that doesn't mean that I have to leap for joy and be pathetically grateful for every lame-brained, ill-written juvenile gimmick (with a shift in fundamental direction every other issue) that they shove our way. I'm not that easily-bought - and I refuse to surrender my critical faculty when I see things being - to me - very badly done.

And that's the crux of it; I'm torn between wanting to see life in the MotU brand - and not wanting to see cheap and silly tat demeaning what Eternia actually means and stands for. I want it to be taken seriously - and made fit to be read again by thinking adults.

Was it REALLY too much to ask to have once again comics that were - like the MVC/Image series - well-written, complex, mature in tone, wholly-internally-consistent - and genuinely thought-provoking?
    There are plenty of writers out there who could do this - and superlatively, too.
    But instead we get this - mess - which I really cannot take seriously now it has at last followed its inevitable destiny - and force-fed He-Man into the DC Universe - which has WHAT, exactly, to do with him or with MotU?

And my fear - stated all along - is that there could be very negative long-term consequences here. Yes - sales may up for a while (hence the U-turn by DC) but how are we ever going to see He-Man and MotU seen as a serious proposition again, deserving of interest by those with wider knowledge and discernment (and there are plenty such - and not just on this site)?

Hence why I feel somewhat torn. Is a short-term boost worth the inherent risk to MotU's iconic status? Well; it's not up to me - or to any of us - and only time will tell.

But I'm certain I'm not at all alone in this; and would suggest that the opinion of those of us with very definite doubts is just as valid as that of enthusiasts for the DC vision. We both want to see MotU prosper, I'm sure - but have wide differences as to our appreciation of the means by which this end can be achieved.
    Last edited by Scriptor; May 11, 2013 at 07:47am.

Snappy Threader
    I love the idea of this crossover. I love MOTU and DCU. Makes sense to me, with Superman appearing in the original comic back in the day, and the Justice League fighting aliens and their kind all the time. I am so super excited over this. Great exposure, great mixing, I couldn't be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    I see it like this. The heroes and villains of Greek and Roman mythology were always depicted as muscle bound and athletic characters. These characters in comic books (DC, MARVEL, MOTU...etc...) basically ARE our version of mythological gods and goddesses. They are going to be depicted as such. The men are going to be rippling with muscle and power and the women are going to be agile, athletic and most of their bodies will be shown off. They are all basically the kind of powerful heroes that real life people can really never achieve in real world circumstances so the more over the top exploitation the better.
    That's a good way to put it, and I agree. I just don't like it. In my eyes in MOTU/POP bikinis/body-outfits have made sense because the male characters are running around in furry underwear as well. If there is a threat that is so endearing that the male character need more than underwear on, then I'd hope that everyone would get more protection. Or, maybe the right way to look at this is that even when He-man needs body-armor, Teela can still hold her own in bikinis.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

This is a fantastic thing, and hopefully bring on new fans. Love the exposure.

I've been feeling very good things with how DC is doing their new 52, and this is more evidence of that. It is a big wide multilayered world again, and just allows stories to come and go. Come easily without disruption when the are good, and go away when they dont work that well when they are bad.

Without the tight reigns they used to hold, they are free to do exactly this without it seeming like some hard to accept event.

It's just the multiverse.

Except this time they are trying to make sure they have some sense of how it all fits together, so it wont be so inaccessible to others.

Go He-Man.

I think crossovers are great fun, but holy crap He-Man's super modern armor of his ancestors is the WORST.

Oh, and I am digging what I am reading of the New 52.

- - - Updated - - -

I think crossovers are great fun, but holy crap He-Man's super modern armor of his ancestors is the WORST.

Oh, and I am digging what I am reading of the New 52.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.