Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU / DC Crossover Comic Mini-Series #1 Discussion

Thanks for the interview. We all expected it, anyway, but it’s good to hear that it’s more a MOTU comic than a DCU one.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Thanks for the interview. We all expected it, anyway, but it’s good to hear that it’s more a MOTU comic than a DCU one.
    Giffen says he's going to avoid all the usual cliches; somehow, I doubt it.

Could be avoid writing imbecilic dialogue while he's at it, please? Somehow I doubt that, too.

In fact, could he just stick to writing something that isn't MotU? That would be best of all!

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks for the interview. I wonder if the DC version of He-Man follows Filmation/Classics continuity of Adam being half-Earthling, or the 2000x continuity and have his mother from Eternia as well?

After narrowly escaping his last battle with He-Man, Skeletor has fled to the most unexpected realm to recover: EARTH! Once there, he sets a plan in motion to siphon off Earth's core magic. Forging an unlikely hunting party, He-Man and company go in search of Skeletor. Finding themselves at odds with the heroes of the DC Universe, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe must find a way to stop Skeletor and his mysterious new master! This debut issue features two covers by Ed Benes, both available for ordering: one featuring the heroes of the DC Universe, and the other featuring The Masters of the Universe!
    Found this summary online. It seems like it's following the events of the mini-series directly.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    CBR's interview says MOTU is a hit. With DC's track record, things that aren't hit's quickly get canceled or aren't expanded upon.

Newsarama also has an interview.

Team MOTU is He-Man, Teela, Battle Cat, Man-At-Arms, Stratos, Moss Man, and Roboto.

Team DC is Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman.

But I also want to play a little with Justice League Dark and a few other characters.

It'll be the primary characters. It's not going to be, like, oh, let's stuff the Creeper in here. There's just no space for it.
    Nrama: So what's it going to be like for these characters to meet one another?

Giffen: It seems to be the unofficial rule of crossovers of this kind that they meet, misunderstand, fight, talk, and team-up. But I tried to play it a little bit less than cliché.

That means He-Man and company show up on earth, and there's culture shock. They're not used to it. So misunderstandings will abound. I'm still playing around with it at this point, trying to feel my way around the characters' reactions.

But I don't want to jump right into them fighting. If there's going to be a misunderstanding, it's going to make sense. Like Teela doesn't want to hang out with Batman, because she thinks he kills kids, plus they associate his batsuit with Hordak, who's a villain.

So there will be those kind of misunderstandings. It's not going to be, "Well, we don't know who you are, so all of the sudden we're the WWE and we're beating the crap out of one another."

There will be some manipulation on the villain's part.

But for the most part, it is a team-up without a battle royale between the characters.
    Heh...so the Masters associate bats with Hordak? I guess that's a good track record considering who fans think Batros is Horde...

Nrama: So it's the He-Man characters as you've been writing them in the MotU comic.

Giffen: Yes. Absolutely. And I see this more as a He-Man book that guest stars the DC Universe. It's an Eternia story that spills over into the DC Universe.
    Yeah...that fits in with what he's stated about how the crossover is non-canon for DC.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

The cbr interview made me totally angry towards Giffen and DC and Mattel... I so dislike what they are doing!
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=45517

Mattel shaking their own universe? Okay. But they shook it way too much.

Giffen said:
    While I'm keeping in mind that a big part of my job is giving the fans what they want, I also hope that the fans are aware that another big part of my job is to give them what they don't know that they want.
    They want new stories and they want things to happen that have consequence
    No, you don't have to give me what i don't want, the consequence in that is, that i don't buy any of it and wish that they never would have made any of the new comics.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibentmyman-thing View Post
    I liked Keith Giffen once but it sounds like he's jumped the Land Shark.
    OUT of curiosity... why did you like Giffen? What has he done before that did NOT jump the land shark?

He turned the Justice league into a goofy group of lovable losers... and it made him VERY popular... But on paper it was a TERRIBLE idea.

He kind of has made a career out of 'giving fans what they didn't know they wanted'...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXX View Post
    The cbr interview made me totally angry towards Giffen and DC and Mattel... I so dislike what they are doing!
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=45517

Mattel shaking their own universe? Okay. But they shook it way too much.

Giffen said:

No, you don't have to give me what i don't want, the consequence in that is, that i don't buy any of it and wish that they never would have made any of the new comics.

I feel much the same way - though I haven't yet cancelled my sub (a kind of horrified fascination prevents me - like not being able to look away from something grisly...) But I understand that a great many fans are doing so - and the chief reason does seem to be strong dissatisfaction with the way the comics are written and the frantic pace of change - which smacks of desperation - on display.

And I'm afraid that Giffen does come across in the interviews as more than a little arrogant and unlikeable; no wonder he warps well-known characters to make them unlikeable too.

If it loses established fans and doesn't draw in a new base to replace them, then it will fail. A pity - but if Mattel have entrusted MotU to DC then who is to blame - ultimately? My hope is that this is some kind of experiment, and that they will change direction yet again - hopefully back to something less outlandish and with a wider basis of appeal - once this foray has been seen not to be a success. One can but hope so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    OUT of curiosity... why did you like Giffen? What has he done before that did NOT jump the land shark?
    Interesting; I don't know enough about his other work to answer that - but I do despise what he has done/is doing to MotU - and, whether he writes well in other genre or not - he certainly does not do so here. He pens some of the most inane dialogue I have ever read; simply appallingly bad - laughably so, really. But this is MotU - and so it's not funny. Not at all.

So it looks as if the irreversible shark-jump downturn in quality is upon us. Ho hum. Not good news for MotU.
    And it could so easily have been avoided with a better choice of writer than Giffen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    CBR's interview says MOTU is a hit. With DC's track record, things that aren't hit's quickly get canceled or aren't expanded upon.
    We'll see; but failure to meet sales targets by some significant distance is possibly a more reliable indicator than CBR's opinion?
    Certainly the Robinson/Giffen changeover and the sudden and unscheduled switch to the crossover (which is sure to sell better by broadening appeal - though only by subjugating MotU to the DCU...) don't suggest a confident long-term MotU strategy at DC.
    But, in the end, the finances will determine the future; they always do.

To be frank, I don't care about the story. The fact that the crossover has the DC characters in their New52 costumes and He-Man in his "ancient armor" pretty much destroys any interest for me. It's like that Punisher vs' Batman comic from the 90s, where Punisher meets Az-Bat - didn't care a bit about it, cause I prefer crossovers to have the characters in their iconic looks.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    To be frank, I don't care about the story. The fact that the crossover has the DC characters in their New52 costumes and He-Man in his "ancient armor" pretty much destroys any interest for me. It's like that Punisher vs' Batman comic from the 90s, where Punisher meets Az-Bat - didn't care a bit about it, cause I prefer crossovers to have the characters in their iconic looks.
    Yes - and I'll warrant that a lot of other fans (on both sides) will feel the same. Iconic is iconic, after all.

It's all a bit - well - tacky - anyway. I mean, what the heck have He-Man and Batman actually got to do with one another? All very silly.
    This is just an attempt to bolster flagging sales of third-rate MotU comics. It will work; it will boost sales. But for how long - and at what long-term cost to the reputation of the brand?

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I have no problem with this and am glad its happening, it will be great to see some of my favourite characters from different properties join forces.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Heroic Warrior
    A few points:

Crossovers do not "smack of desperation". Fans asks for this sort of thing all the time. I bet people were really excited when the first Superman/Spider-Man came out years ago. They don't have all that much in common other than their choice of colors, but it was still a fun story.

I do agree that I would enjoy this more if everyone had their iconic looks.

Giffen has said this is a MOTU story with DC characters in it, so there's no reason to think MOTU is going to be subjugated by the DCU. I doubt Skeletor's mysterious boss is going to turn out to be Brainiac.

It's not a sudden switch to the crossover if the main book (presumably) comes out at the same time. And who says it's unscheduled?
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    And who says it's unscheduled?
    Well - Giffen himself, in the interview, states that he knew nothing of it at all until actually called in to do it - and that in spite of contracting to a new series of ongoing. So it was news to the writer until very shortly before being a set-down.
    I suppose that they could have chosen not to confide the plan to the writer - but it does seem a trifle odd, wouldn't you say?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    Well - Giffen himself, in the interview, states that he knew nothing of it at all until actually called in to do it - and that in spite of contracting to a new series of ongoing. So it was news to the writer until very shortly before being a set-down.
    I suppose that they could have chosen not to confide the plan to the writer - but it does seem a trifle odd, wouldn't you say?
    Is it really that odd though? I doubt most writers are told in advance about upcoming books unless they're asked to write/pitch for it. The exception of course being if the writer pitched it him/herself.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    Is it really that odd though? I doubt most writers are told in advance about upcoming books unless they're asked to write/pitch for it. The exception of course being if the writer pitched it him/herself.
    I usually get a year to six months' lead time from publishers - and can assess whether I want to do it or not in that period (and if my fearsome lady agent will let me...!)
    But the comic world may well be very different from that of books.

I just re-read the interview - and Giffen does seem to have been taken unawares, despite the fact that he was DC's 'in-house' MotU writer, and almost two series of issues in.

But I don't suppose we'll ever know for sure; or need to.

And I still think Giffen is pretty dam' poor as a writer of MotU ! Val Staples simply slaughters him on every plane in my view.

I have heard that DC has some communication issues with it's creative talent. So I think it might be more indicative of that than anything. But comics, as I understand it, can be a much faster paced business than books for sure.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I have heard that DC has some communication issues with it's creative talent. So I think it might be more indicative of that than anything. But comics, as I understand it, can be a much faster paced business than books for sure.
    Didn't a number of them walk out a few months ago? I know they fired and then re-hired Gail Simone (Batgirl writer). The firing laughably being done through e-mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Hmmm...I wonder if they could make them DLC characters for the current Injustice Gods Among Us? That might be interesting.
    I might actually buy that game if they did.

That would be pretty great if they could add in a couple of motu characters as DLC. Though I imagine there would still be licensing problems even if DC/Netherrealms were to consider it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Heroic Warrior
    It's all a bit - well - tacky - anyway. I mean, what the heck have He-Man and Batman actually got to do with one another? All very silly.
    This is just an attempt to bolster flagging sales of third-rate MotU comics. It will work; it will boost sales. But for how long - and at what long-term cost to the reputation of the brand?
    If MARVEL had done it, I'd probably agree with you. However, DC has had a long tradition with MOTU. He-man vs Superman was one of the original comics years ago... The MOTU vs DCU line was the only one that got to Retail... (Honeslty I think itd be cool if THAT idea got looked again with this book coming out...) The moment It was announced that MOTU was going to be published by DC... the inevitable He-man vs. superman was bound to happen.

My biggest issue is that I don't recognize N52 AS superman, so it doesn't mean much to me.

Interesting; I don't know enough about his other work to answer that - but I do despise what he has done/is doing to MotU - and, whether he writes well in other genre or not - he certainly does not do so here. He pens some of the most inane dialogue I have ever read; simply appallingly bad - laughably so, really.

So it looks as if the irreversible shark-jump downturn in quality is upon us. Ho hum. Not good news for MotU.
    And it could so easily have been avoided with a better choice of writer than Giffen.
    Appalingly bad dialogue is what he's known for. He's the one who made popular the whole 'BWAHAHAHA' comedy/sitcom style of Justice League international with Booster gold and Blue beetle doing stand up comedy, and Martian Manhunter obsessed with oreo cookies... Comparing his style of comedy to ' 12 year old' is REALLY pretty accurate. And he has a lot of fans. Years later when the 'real' JLA came back, this motley crew came back in books titled "I can't believe they're not the JUSTICE LEAGUE' and "I still can't believe they aren't the Justice League'...

Story arcs for the last two had them lose the right to be called Justice League and started their own team called the 'Super buddies'... The first arc of JLI had Guy Gardner bump his head after seeing a mouse and act.... silly the rest fo the time.

Admittedly I've never heard of him being this 'violent'... but the immaturity is nothing but what I would have expected.

Giffen has niche, and there are people who LOVE that niche.

I am not ONE of them... but they do exist.

Guys, please keep criticisms constructive. Do not throw insults at the creators, writers, or artists. thanks.

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    As opposed to to the masters and good dc fighting each other it would be cool if the good dc fought skeletor and his minions and he-man took on lex and his minions so to speak. I dont care much for he-man taking on superman but im still looking forward to it nonetheless.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

issue 3 From October was revealed but how about the issue 2 from September ? don't remember seeing anything.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG