Thread: Avengers Assemble

Avengers Assemble

Two episodes in and its...more watchable than the new Spider-Man cartoon. But not much more than that.

It feels like its trying too hard to be everything to everyone. It wants to be the movie, it wants to be for kids, it wants to be serious, it wants every other line to be a joke. I don't particularly like any of the characters yet.

It seems competent enough, but its missing the spark that Earth's Mightiest Heroes had from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Two episodes in and its...more watchable than the new Spider-Man cartoon. But not much more than that.

It feels like its trying too hard to be everything to everyone. It wants to be the movie, it wants to be for kids, it wants to be serious, it wants every other line to be a joke. I don't particularly like any of the characters yet.

It seems competent enough, but its missing the spark that Earth's Mightiest Heroes had from the start.
    I completely agree with yer statement ESP the last sentence.. i felt the same way watching it...
    after it was over i felt a feeling of "MEH" wash over me...
    Man lives in the sunlit world of what he believes to be reality.
    But...there is, unseen by most, an underworld, a place that is just as real,
    but not as brightly lit... a darkside.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I was not impressed with the first two episodes. The jokes were flat, the writing and acting seemed stale, and it seems to lack any kind of sincerity. I'm keeping it on the DVR for now, but we'll have to see how it goes. I do miss EMH already, though.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Wasn't aware it had started yet. All I can say is I am tired, maybe they can do something about that.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I agree. At least it's not 'Ultimate Spider-Man', but I kinda see where most of you are coming from since it's different from 'Earth's Mightiest Heroes'. Still, 'Assemble' looks competent enough on the surface at least. I wish Marvel would leave well enough along, and keep A good thing going instead of killing it off, and starting over again. Even after their Disney assimilation. This never happened with cartoons in the 80's, and 90's. Also, it's bad enough that Marvel cartoons nowadays can't last for 65 episodes anymore.
    Last edited by mbaker; May 31, 2013 at 06:22pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Haven't seen it yet, but I HATE the new costumes

One of the things I LOVED about EMH was the CLASSIC costumes. Captain America... Hawkeye...Thor, their suits were not 'realistic' or believable... but they were what they were. They REJOICED in their comic origins and didn't try to apologize for it.

It's really the Avengers cartoon I always wanted.

Out of curiosity... 'More watchable then the new spiderman cartoon'? What is that? Are we talking ultimate spiderman? or is there another new one I havne't heard of yet?

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Out of curiosity... 'More watchable then the new spiderman cartoon'? What is that? Are we talking ultimate spiderman? or is there another new one I havne't heard of yet?
    Still talking Ultimate.

Yup. Still talking 'Ultimate'.

Ugh...I don't know if I'm even gona bother trying this out. I just can't stand to see another replacement for great friggin' shows. They demolish one great swath of super hero shows (Earth's Mightiest Heros, Spectacular Spider-Man, Iron Man Armored Adventures) and use the tangled wreckage to build these new trembling buildings that you just don't wana step into for fear of the place falling down around you. What happened?

What's funny is that I just never bothered to pay attention at the times the shows were out. I watched Earths Mightiest Heros just to find out it was canceled, and Spectacular Spider-Man grabbed my FULL attention before being torn away from me in the same manner. Then Iron Man Armored Adventures somehow ended up being great as well! I didn't expect anything amazing out of any of these! It got my hopes up and one led me to the other. Now my hopes are smashed back down to where they were before. Back to ignoring them, I guess.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I don't mind reboots or new takes, I in fact encourage them to do this every so often. The problem is the last couple of attempts have just been eeeh. And that is what has caused me to be tired of all this. I would rather not like a show because it doesn't appeal to my tastes, than it just a mess which this sounds like.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I don't like the voice acting or the character designs. EMH this is not
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

I love that EMH took its cues from the entire history of the Avengers comics. It was EPIC.

The new show is basically trying to be a dumb downed version of the Avengers movie. And I hate that they're trying to make every character a variation of Tony Stark.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    And why did they make Tony the leader? Because Iron Man is the most popular?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    This show reminds me of when you were a kid and you had a book to read for homework. You didn't really want to, your mom was sat next to you to make sure you read it, so you thought you'd read it as quickly as possible without taking any breaths just to get it done. It took all the life out of the book and robbed it of any meaning, setting or context.

That's the problem with this and Ultimate Spider-Man. Both are too fast, too loud and not meaningful enough.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    And why did they make Tony the leader? Because Iron Man is the most popular?

Same thing with EMH... I HATED that. Iron man is the leader... because he's PAYING for it. He's not the best man for the job... he's the one with the money.

Honestly Robert Downey Jr. should get the highest possible accolades for this minor fact alone... he made people LIKE Iron man.

I'm from the 80's-90's and nobody had ANY idea what to do with the character... everytime you turned around they were trying SOME new gimmick to make him INTERESTING...

It's one of the things that AMAZES me when you hear people wonder WHO would play iron man next if RDJ doesn't come back??? Should they reboot it?!?! Who will be in the avengers then?!?

Answer... ANyone! The avengers have existed with AND without Iron Man for decades... he's not INTEGRAL to having an Avengers movie.. CAPTAIN AMERICA may be... I've hated nearly every lineup WITHOUT cap... He's like the X-men's wolverine.... Iron man however? It's better with him there, but hardly NECESSARY. For some reason people can't seem to imagine that right now.

THAT is one heck of an accomplishment!

Still talking Ultimate.
    I have mixed feelings about Ultimate... As a CONCEPT, I hated it... I've always hated 'goofy' versions of superhero shows... Like Teen Titans. HATED that show...

However, in execution, the nephews LOVE it.... my Friends kids LOVE it... and the humor is actually pretty funny at times. ONce i got past what it was NOT... I was able to appreciate what it WAS....

Spectacular however??? They had awesome scripts that I enjoyed a lot... but the animation/character art??? I could NEVER get over that crappy design... tainted the whole thing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagar View Post
    This show reminds me of when you were a kid and you had a book to read for homework. You didn't really want to, your mom was sat next to you to make sure you read it, so you thought you'd read it as quickly as possible without taking any breaths just to get it done. It took all the life out of the book and robbed it of any meaning, setting or context.

That's the problem with this and Ultimate Spider-Man. Both are too fast, too loud and not meaningful enough.
    This is what I HATE about Disney XD, and Disney Channel. Not only am I ashamed of their current programing, but none of it has any meaning, or substantial. It's like watching A poorly made production with so many flaws that make it dumber than it's original intent, and you feel insulted by it that you want to throw A brick at the screen. For the past decade, or so, Disney has went out of it's way to appologize for what they use to be in terms of quality, and this is the end result. Disney is now unrecognizable.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I have mixed feelings about Ultimate... As a CONCEPT, I hated it... I've always hated 'goofy' versions of superhero shows... Like Teen Titans. HATED that show...

However, in execution, the nephews LOVE it.... my Friends kids LOVE it... and the humor is actually pretty funny at times. ONce i got past what it was NOT... I was able to appreciate what it WAS....

Spectacular however??? They had awesome scripts that I enjoyed a lot... but the animation/character art??? I could NEVER get over that crappy design... tainted the whole thing for me.
    I'm sorry, but I could not accept 'Ultimate Spider-Man's approach, and I believe that you can still make A cartoon kid friendly without making it dumb, and stupid. I'm still bitter over 'Spectacular Spider-Man's cancelation, and feel that this show should've been continued. If 'Ultimate' used 'Spectacular' as A template, I probably would've liked it more. While 'Ultimate' has slightly better designs, 'Spectacular' is the better of the two.
    Last edited by mbaker; June 3, 2013 at 12:18pm.

I absolutely LOVED the designs and animation of Spectacular (except for Kraven, that was the only miss IMO). I think its the only Spider-Man cartoon to ever really capture the kinetic energy and fluidness of Spidey.

I absolutely LOVED the designs and animation of Spectacular (except for Kraven, that was the only miss IMO). I think its the only Spider-Man cartoon to ever really capture the kinetic energy and fluidness of Spidey.
    Agreed. Also a bit of a peeve of mine is when people dont separate character design and animation. The design of ssm is controversial but the animation was pretty brilliant. EMH i felt the animation was average at best.

a little she-ra nod in this review
    Last edited by krosfyah; June 4, 2013 at 04:51pm.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure