Thread: Toxic Avenger reboot film thread

Toxic Avenger reboot film thread

Looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger may be starring in it.

deadline.com:

Los Angeles, CA (May, 2013) –Action superstar Arnold Schwarzenegger (TERMINATOR series, TOTAL RECALL) is in negotiations to star in writer/director Steve Pink’s (HOT TUB TIME MACHINE 1 & 2) big budget action comedy THE TOXIC AVENGER produced by Akiva Goldsman (CONSTANTINE, I AM LEGEND, MR AND MRS SMITH), Richard Saperstein (HANCOCK, 1408, SE7EN), Charlie Corwin (HALF NELSON, THE SQUID AND THE WHALE), Stephen Kessler and Michael Benaroya (LAWLESS, MARGIN CALL). Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz will executive produce. The announcement was made today by International Film Trust’s (IFT) President Ariel Veneziano who will handle all international rights to the film alongside IFT’s Head of Sales Christian de Gallegos.

Set to be introduced to buyers at Cannes 2013, THE TOXIC AVENGER is currently in pre-production and scheduled to start principal photography this fall.

Loosely based on Lloyd Kaufman’s classic Troma franchise, THE TOXIC AVENGER is the tale of a high-school kid who gets dunked in a vat of toxic waste by a corrupt chemical company. He survives the ordeal with one major side effect: upon contact with toxic chemicals, he transforms into a monster with superhuman strength. Schwarzenegger would play “the Exterminator,” a former black ops agent, who trains Toxie to use his powers for good. Together they take on the lurking menace created by the polluters, and the polluters themselves.

that was the movie where they knocked some young kid over and then crushed his head with a car right?

I think I will pass on a remake of that whether or not that scene is in it
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

The original film has to be understood. You have to know what you’re truly watching to appreciate it. Nothing should be taken at face value, which is a mistake a lot make. I love the original film. It’s actually incredibly clever for those very reasons. I doubt this remake will be like that, anyway. It will be more "mainstream". I'm excited about this. From the full write up it appears that there will be other "mutated" creatures. I wonder if they've taken any inspiration from The Toxic Crusaders.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    I want to say he's too old but with all the makeup he'll be wearing it won't be much of an issue.

Yep, same film. Ran him over, took photos, looked at said photos while... yeah, the film was really ten feet past the line. You can watch it on Youtube, if so inclined. How it's not pulled for copyrights, or violating content rules, I have no idea.

Lloyd Kaufman was in the recent Angry Video Game Nerd episode about the Toxic Crusader games. It was neat seeing the creator of the franchise trashing the terrible licensed games based on it. The fact he'll be heading the movie gives me some hope it'll not be unwatchable.

Oh I get the kind of movie it was, that's not the problem. No matter how campy, over the top, shlock fun it is a young kid gets killed in it in a very gruesome way and I find myself too disgusted with that scene to care about the ones following it
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    I want to say he's too old but with all the makeup he'll be wearing it won't be much of an issue.
    He's not playing Toxie. According to Deadline his character is called 'The Exterminator'. He teaches Toxie to use his powers for good.

I would be surprised if the kid death scene makes it into the reboot. It says "Loosely based on Lloyd Kaufman’s classic Troma franchise." This one will be more main stream and I would guess gunning for PG-13.

There was going to be a Toxic Crusader film in the 90s but it never got made because the cartoon fizzled out. Kind of wouldn't be surprised if they dragged the old script out and revised it if they want something more marketable.

I imagine the origin of Toxie will be altered, I mean the jist of it is the nerdy wimpy kid who is bullied and picked falls out of the 2nd floor into a vat of toxic chemicals while he is being chased. I just can't see that being allowed today, people would have a fit even if they had no intention of seeing it
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

On the plus side, Kaufman's handing it so I'd bet it's safe to say that Don Murphy and Michael Bay won't be allowed anywhere near it. They have no respect for anything they touch and don't need their hands on everything.

Heroic Warrior
    I will give it a try, it might be good, or it might be horrible, but it is still more interesting then a lot movies they are coming out with.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I really got into the cartoon. Like many others I watched the movie afterwards and it really turned me off of it. I'd like to see a new movie done a lot better than the old.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I love the original Toxic Avenger movie and own it on DVD (and made sure I got the Collector's Edition with the full head crushing scene). I loved watching this as a kid on cable all the time and I'm pretty sure this new film will have none of the low budget charm the original had. I'll stick with the original version.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Toxie with Arnie's voice?!?! I'm in!!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

What better way for me to respond to this topic than with this.

I'm with BJH on this on.
    I used to watch the original too.
    I loved those 80's trash flicks...they were so much fun!
    The original, I'm sure, will not be comparable to the new one.
    I saw the film first, read the comic, and watched the cartoon. I loved it all!! Toxie is one of the best!
    That being said Arnold in Toxic Avenger just dosen't sound right.
    I may give it a shot. Maybe we'll get some new toys out of the movie!

Heroic Warrior sportsandstuff777's Avatar

Toxic Avenger Remake Arnold Schwarzenegger in talks to star

I heard news about the Toxic Avenger getting a remake and Schwarzenegger is in talks to star in the film. I am excited but not sure if they can top the first film
    Check out my auctions for Thundercats, MOTU,Transformers, Gi-Joe and WWE!♫

http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b

Visit my Blog at http://2coolghouls.blogspot.com/

Heroic Warrior
    I heard that as well, hope this incarnation will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post
    I heard that as well, hope this incarnation will be good.
    Lloyd is an awesome person and is very fan driven. I never forget the time I hung out with him in Cherry Hill at Wegmans. I like movies that are in the troma style because it pushes the envelope. I cannot wat to see what comes from this.

Anyway I wonder what the Cinema Snob will think about this when it comes out.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I recall the Toxie films. The first one was the only one with some good bite to it; the sequels just degenerated into really bad self-parody (which is bad when the first film is already a parody of sorts). I also remember the toon, which tried to much to be the Turtles. Some cool figures from the toy line, though.

Not sure if a big budget remake will really work. The original pretty much reveled in its low budget origins in a way a big Hollywood flick really can't (like Tarantino and company trying to capture the old exploitation genre in Grindhouse and pretty well failing). It's cheesiness was part of what made it work, and I doubt that will survive into a new incarnation.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Did i mention i hope we get some new toys out of this!?