Thread: 25th Anniversary of Carrollton, KY Bus Crash. Deadliest DUI Bus Crash in US History.

25th Anniversary of Carrollton, KY Bus Crash. Deadliest DUI Bus Crash in US History.

Today marks the 25th Anniversary of the Carrollton, Kentucky bus crash (deadliest DUI bus crash in US history) that killed 27 of my classmates and neighbors (including my brothers best friend). It is a day that I will never forget not only because they were classmates from my middle school and high school, but because my brother BEGGED by dad to let him go on that trip. Thankfully my dad wouldn't allow it because we had farm work to do.

At 10:55 p.m. on Saturday May 14, 1988, Larry Wayne Mahoney, a drunk driver in a pickup truck traveling in the wrong direction on an interstate highway in a rural, unincorporated area of Carroll County, Kentucky collided head-on with a gasoline-powered former school bus which was in use as a churchbus. The initial crash was exacerbated when the gasoline from the ruptured fuel tank of the bus ignited immediately after impact, which also blocked the front loading door. Difficulties encountered by the victims attempting to evacuate the crowded bus quickly in the smoke and darkness through the only other designated exit, the rear emergency door, resulted in the death of 27 people and injured 34 of 67 passengers.

Here is the full wikipedia page filled with information about that horrific night for any of you that were unaware and for those that wish to revisit it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carroll..._bus_collision

I will never forget seeing the physically scarred faces, arms, and legs all throughout middle and high school, much less the emotional strain it had on them, their families, our school, and community. I will never forget the burn masks that many of them had to wear for many years and how people treated them differently. I also always say a little prayer every time I drive by the site to and from my way to Cincinnati. It is a heartfelt reminder to never drink and drive. But I will also never forget the togetherness our community had after this terrible event and how MADD and SADD really took off as well as how bus safety changed forever.

So, at his time I want to remember those 27 friends, classmates, and neighbors my community lost 25 years ago today:

Jennifer Arnett
    Cynthia Atherton
    Sandy Brewer
    Joshua Conyers
    Mary Daniels
    Julie Earnest
    Kashawn Etheridge
    Shannon Fair
    Dwailla Fischel
    Rick Gohn
    Lori Holzer
    Chuck Kytta
    Anthony Marks
    April Mills
    Phillip Morgan
    Tina Mustain
    William Nichols
    Pattie Nunley
    John Pearman
    Emily Thompson
    Crystal Uhey
    Denise Voglund
    Amy Wheelock
    Chad Witt
    Joy Williams
    Kristen Williams
    Robin Williams
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

I remember hearing about that. What an awful, senseless tragedy. I'm glad your brother wasn't on board!
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

A Documentary, "IMPACT: After the Crash" debuts tonight for survivors and tomorrow for the community.

Here is the news story.

http://www.wave3.com/story/22240305/...sh-anniversary

Wow, man yeah. That was a pretty awful thing. I grew up in Henry County, but moved to Carroll County my Junior year. Passed the memorial sign countless times.
    Please see my arts gallery here: www.pcpfh.wordpress.com Have fun browsing!

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I remember hearing about that. What an awful, senseless tragedy. I'm glad your brother wasn't on board!
    Quote Originally Posted by MLHumble View Post
    Wow, man yeah. That was a pretty awful thing. I grew up in Henry County, but moved to Carroll County my Junior year. Passed the memorial sign countless times.
    Yeah, it devastated our community and a May 14th never passes by without it in our minds.

But yes, I am very glad my brother was not on that bus. He had a type of survivor's guilt and had to go to therapy for many years simply because he really wanted to go on the trip with his best friend and had he gone then he would have more than likely died along side his best friend