Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Ongoing #2 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Ongoing #2 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

I personally won't have the issue until tomorrow afternoon, but some fans are getting them in the mail today...while they still haven't gotten issue #1.

They can discuss the issue HERE!

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe #1 Talkback Thread

• Wolfsfang's New 52 Teela Unappreciation Thread!

Discuss!!!
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; May 15, 2013 at 05:13pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

An interesting issue. My first question is: why on Eternia are Skeletor's minions on the cover? It would've been more appropriate to have Horde Troopers surrounding He-Man and Despara.

Teela is unbearable in this series. I get that she was always quite feisty, but she's become a grade A *****. I've yet to see a redeemable quality to this Teela.

I'm not a fan of blood in MOTU, but I get that they're going for a more 'mature', war-torn world than the one we're used to. This is clearly an adult comic aimed at adults and the blood on Despara's face - while not something I enjoyed seeing - at least contributes to the story. I hate meaningless blood and guts.

Intrigued to know more about Teela's 'imaginary friend' - maybe this will make her more likeable. And Randor's closing line is cryptic...where IS Marlena? And does he have an inkling into who Despara really is?

Hoping to see some of the battles at the villages soon - hopefully led by other Horde members. If Hordak can't travel beyond his prison on Etheria/Despondos, perhaps Catra, Scorpia, Mantenna, Grizzlor and Leech can. Their relationship with Adora/Despara has a lot of legs, particularly Catra who should take over Despara's role if the 80s continuity is going to be followed.

Overall, a promising continuation, but one not without its flaws.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets King Ahgo

All in all I really enjoyed this one. Aside from some exquisite panels (the Battlecat spread was brutally amazing) and depictions from He-Man and the heroic warriors, the art is not very noteworthy but it is adequate nonetheless. Great to see Moss Man getting his rightful place in the core group of warriors, I've always felt he's been a bit underused.
    On the other hand, it's a total shame that Ram Man is back to being a dwarf instead of a hulky enforcer. I thought DC was going to root out those grievous Filmation influences.

Another one of my visual nitpicks concerns He-Man's inconsistent hair length. It is long and flowing in the battlescenes but gets drastically shorter when he's at Grayskull. I wish they'd honor his barbarian image and just keep it long at all times.

I must say that I do like the story so far, but the dialogue is not befitting of a tale of epic fantasy and remains annoyingly commonplace. It needs more lines like "To Grayskull ... and woe to any who stand in our way" or "Not myth nor legend nor fairy tale ... Hordak IS!", rather than that supposedly tongue-in-cheek prattling the protagonists incessantly engage in.

And although I fondly appreciated Teela dissing Meckaneck (who doesn't even appear in any of the frames ), enough with the meta discours already.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    A much better issue than the first. I really like Despara's characterization and like how the Horde has been represented so far - a real threat. I also liked how most of the Masters were shown - is that Zodak who heals Teela's broken ankle? The Mekaneck joke by Teela was a bit too much and her awful attitude still stinks - for one of my most favorite characters, I really dislike her in this series - she doesn't seem to have any redeeming qualities and He-Man seems such a push over - Thank God for Battle Cat!!

Looking forward to part 3, wonder where Marlena appears from?
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Dead @ "Bite Me."
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior
    I liked it. The Horde are definitely a major threat. I also liked the talk between Adam and Randor. The best thing DC has done in these new comics is have Adam revealed to be He-Man IMHO and its nice to see father and son talk to each other on the same level. I am curious to see what Randor meant by Marlena. We have only seen her in the origin of He-Man comic and I just assumed she died along the way. Maybe something else happened to her?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    All in all I really enjoyed this one. Aside from some exquisite panels (the Battlecat spread was brutally amazing) and depictions from He-Man and the heroic warriors, the art is not very noteworthy but it is adequate nonetheless. Great to see Moss Man getting his rightful place in the core group of warriors, I've always felt he's been a bit underused.
    On the other hand, it's a total shame that Ram Man is back to being a dwarf instead of a hulky enforcer. I thought DC was going to root out those grievous Filmation influences.

Another one of my visual nitpicks concerns He-Man's inconsistent hair length. It is long and flowing in the battlescenes but gets drastically shorter when he's at Grayskull. I wish they'd honor his barbarian image and just keep it long at all times.

I must say that I do like the story so far, but the dialogue is not befitting of a tale of epic fantasy and remains annoyingly commonplace. It needs more lines like "To Grayskull ... and woe to any who stand in our way" or "Not myth nor legend nor fairy tale ... Hordak IS!", rather than that supposedly tongue-in-cheek prattling the protagonists incessantly engage in.

And although I fondly appreciated Teela dissing Meckaneck (who doesn't even appear in any of the frames ), enough with the meta discours already.

I agree with most comments made thus far above; it's a definite improvement on the last issue (and the dismally disappointing first series and Origins) but it's still far from vintage stuff.

This Teela remains a dire creation and utterly unsympathetic - as Orko's Magic Hat says - without redeeming qualities. Why are we being treated to this crude and heavy-handed caricature? To load on dramatic irony if she transmutes into a mage? If so - enough already! Quite right, Scorpia - she's unbearable - which Despera isn't.

And this He-Man puzzles/annoys me. He's (allegedly) THE Power - and his cover as Adam is blown (in my view a conceptual error - especially as they have made Adam also pretty unlikeable and shallow.) But - he killed at the end of the last series and it's hinted he can even kill women (!!) but - here he's - well, yes, something of a push-over; at least hesitant and lacking in leadership. Scant evidence of his paramount skill in battle and strength which always enabled him to triumph without killing before - and - while leaping off a tall building to 'save' a falling Teela speaks well for his chivalry, it doesn't say much for his supposedly genius-level intellect...
    It would seem that being the Power has all been too much for him; perhaps he should just go back to being the servant of a higher, mystic and greater power; that seemed to work really rather better.

I like the illustrated settings and the sheer scale Mhan creates - but I really don't like his figures. They are stilted and strike odd poses (even for comics) and - have you noticed? - the men - especially Adam/He-Man never look the same in any two panels; I don't mean just expression, but actual facial features - and head shape and even hair length. Bizarre - they appear totally different people. Despera does come out well - but Mhan doesn't draw her, it seems - or quite possibly Teela either. Different pens are at work - and the men seem to come out of it far the worst, so the overall 'meld' is - strange.

And - once again - the Giffen dialogue is very, very uneven. There's a huge and glaring discrepancy between the comic's lines of epic fantasy quoted by Crusader above - which are in keeping - and the fundamentally trite, annoying and overplayed childish banter between Teela/Adam and - highly improbably - He-Man. Sorry - but I don't see the mighty He-Man as indulging in valley-girl talk. Again, another reason for keeping Adam and He-Man separate characters, in my view - the variation it allows (though I do take the point made above by He-Metayer that we, for once, get to see Randor and his son speak as peers. But couldn't this have been done equally with a less puerile Adam? Just a thought...)

But, these things apart (and I'd say that they really do matter - and could - and should - be done better) this is most certainly an improvement on what went before.
    And the Horde threat is real - though let's not get carried away; the usual DC spoilervision seems to imply that it'll all be over by August and He-Man free to follow Dolph Lundgren on a jolly to earth to mix it with the DCU in a showmatch for the delectation of those who just can't take MotU at all seriously.

Yes - it's pretty deeply flawed - and need it be so? But it a definite improvement - at least to this stern-minded critic!
    Last edited by Scriptor; May 15, 2013 at 11:05am.

Heroic Warrior Fighting Foe Man's Avatar
    I am having a very hard time liking this series. I think if it were anything but He-Man, I would have given up on it long ago. But the characterizations, the needless blood and guts, the awful retelling of great stories, the far from impressive redesigns of the characters, and the mocking of other characters really leaves a lot to be desired. Teela has become a simply unbearable character, with little to no redeeming qualities. He-Man (in this issue especially) is a complete buffoon! That panel where he leaped after Teela, see's that she saved herself, and then continued to plummet was very poorly done.

And I was so ****** off when I read Teela mocking Mechanek; what the hell is that?!?!!? Mechanek is a fantastic asset for any type of subterfuge, scouting, and information networking. I cannot stand how Giffen uses characters to bash those that he doesn't seem to like.

But in the end, it is still MOTU, if a very diluted form, so I will stick with it; but man, if this doesn't shape up, I don't know if I'll be able to take much more.
    "Bei der macht von Grayskull, Ich habe die Zauberkraft!"

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I enjoyed the issue overall. I'm liking the art and the story is interesting enough. Though I do think Teela is a bit immature, but that's hardly the worst thing ever. I also hope that the Masters are developed more than they were here and in the previous six issue mini series. They were largely just background appearances. I'd prefer them to actually be treated like proper supporting characters as the comic goes on. I'd also appreciate seeing their looks updated since He-man and other characters like Skeletor and his minions also had their looks updated.

I'd also like to know where Marlena is in all this. I hope she's not dead. I'd love to see her in an armour similar to her 200X Rainbow armour at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Teela is a genius in this series, I love her.

Amazing appearance of batlle-cat.

Great number ,I can't wait for #3 but before is the Hordak issue y that will be important for this series.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Dead @ "Bite Me."
    I know, right?!

This issue was a huge improvement on the first.

• I loved the menace that Despara brings. The seige works because the Horde threatens to kill innocents and the rulers surrendered to keep their subjects alive.

• Hordak is in Despondos still because of King Grayskull's enchantment? And he's doing all this? Imagine when he gets free!

• Nice father/son talk with He-Man and Randor. I thought it was interesting how He-Man mentions how unbelievable the Horde are and Randor reminds him how unbelievable He-Man and his allies are themselves.

• About time He-Man reclaimed this book. The way it was going, it might as well have been Teela and the Masters of the Universe. However, next issue is a Teela-centric issue that comes close to homaging the mini-comic "Tale of Teela". I guess the blonde hair returns for an issue, if it's a flashback.

• It's a good thing Marlena was mentioned. Her absence was noted by fans.

• Who is the caretaker of Castle Grayskull NOW? Who runs the place? He-Man's claim that he is the power serves to do one thing: Castle Grayskull is not important anymore and can be left unattended...unless He-Man was lying to throw Skeletor and all the other Evil Warriors off from constantly trying to take it over.

• Ah, Teela cracks on useless Mekaneck. Jukka's not going to like those.

• Maybe Teela is being portrayed as a "witch" on purpose...maybe she gets reformed somehow during the course of the storyline. Could next issue be the turning point?

• Battle Cat is back to being a ferocious beast! What a return! Clawed Despara's face!

• Despara's observation about He-Man and Teela's relationship is interesting.

• In a way, I can't wait to see Despara ultimately become She-Ra. Now that ought to be an interesting character!

- - - Updated - - -

Here is Wolfsfang's New 52 Teela Unappreciation Thread!

I really didn't like this issue at all because all I saw when reading it was Teela being a *****

That and it was just so damn boring
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Wow...Teela is such a grade A *****. This DC comics interpretation of her is the WORST MOTU character ever...in the history of MOTU. She's more annoying and insufferable than ANY of the New Adventures Scientists. Even when they are all together and fighting.

Here must be the checklist for Teela in every issue:

- Make her swear at LEAST once
    - Close-up butt shot (they got TWO in this issue!)
    - Unnecessarily be rude and sarcastic to He-Man
    - Do something very stupid (Jumps off a building and breaks her leg and mock's Despera. Despera could chop her head off in an instant. Watch your back, *****. )

Insulting Mekaneck and basically wishing he was dead. Classy Teela, very classy. They need to fix Teela or just kill her off. I'm at the point where I don't believe she is redeemable. Killing her off would be much easier to do than make her likable. I'm really ****** off because I LOVE Teela...and let me tell you...this ain't Teela!

Despera is still good in this issue, BUT some of her dialogue is written REALLY awkwardly. The two pages when she and the Horde Troopers are talking about Battalions and satellites (and they're pretty boring!), but here's an example near the end of the issue:

I had all healed but for the one. Only your blood will wash it away.
    I had all healed but for the one? What's up with that sentence? She's saying all her wounds have been healed, except for the scar across her face, but that is SUCH a bizarre sentence (to me, at least).

There's also a speech bubble error when King Randor is speaking to He-Man (who he calls Adam).

And now he's back on Eternia? This Hordak?
    This is a second speech bubble attached to King Randor's...but this is supposed to be He-Man responding to King Randor. The way it's drawn...Randor's having a full-on conversation with himself.

I'm REALLY interested to see what's up with Marlena in the next issue. I've been DYING to know where she's been. Going with DC's record for the ladies in this series so far, I'm guessing Battle Cat accidentally eviscerated her or something...or she was beheaded and put in a fridge.

Does anyone else think Despera looks like Seifer Almasy from Final Fantasy VIII? She has the hair AND scar now! The scar is even in the same spot AND direction! Also, like Despera, Seifer was being controlled by an evil witch to do her bidding (Ultimecia/Edea for Seifer and Shadow Weaver for Despera).

Seifer and Squall cut each other's faces during a practice battle in, what has been named, one of the BEST video game openings in gaming history!

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    He's there. So is Snout Spout! Mekaneck's right above Fisto's head. Snout Spout is a bit behind him.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; May 15, 2013 at 05:33pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Also Hordak... a vampire? Since when?

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Aha. Oh Wolfy. Though I suppose it will have a few subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Does anyone else think Despera looks like Seifer Almasy from Final Fantasy VIII?
    I loved that game. Seifer was a great character. It's a shame VII got a ton of sequels and dvd movie, but VIII doesn't get much attention (or IX for that matter).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Yeah, that one threw me. Though it doesn't bother me half as much as his H.R. Giger look in these comics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    I loved that game. Seifer was a great character. It's a shame VII got a ton of sequels and dvd movie, but VIII doesn't get much attention (or IX for that matter).
    Me too! The only other games we see the characters in from VIII are the Kingdom Hearts and Dissidea games. I would LOVE a movie or sequel! The Sorceresses were my favourite characters. I nearly died when Edea became a playable character in your party (my fav character in the game ).
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Hordak is very bat-like in appearance.

The original Horde lineup are likened to classic monsters...Hordak is a vampire, Grizzlor is the wolfman, Leech is the Gill man, Mantenna is an alien. There was even a Horde Mummy character planned.

- - - Updated - - -

Seifer and Squall cut each other's faces during a practice battle in, what has been named, one of the BEST video game openings in gaming history!
    I love that intro and the music too!

I could be wrong but wasn't Hordak based on an African witchdoctor mask?

I mean, sure I get where the Vampire thing comes from, I have noticed it myself and possibly even commented on it (i have made a lot of posts so i can't remember everything I have said and that is not counting discussions in the chat) but to see him actually referred to as a vamp in an official comic is just a bit strange

I love that intro and the music too!
    Me too! It's my favourite FF. I actually just bought the PC version of the game too. I heard there's a way you can watch all the cinema scenes without having to play the game. There's also some cinematic-like stuff, but there's in-game characters in front of the backgrounds you can remove. I need to find out. I could have some killer wallpapers.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I hope Despera gets to wash her face with He-Man's blood. I'm not crazy or anything, I just don't want her scar to be permanent. Either that or gurl's gonna need sword-to-concealer.

Heroic Warrior

• About time He-Man reclaimed this book. The way it was going, it might as well have been Teela and the Masters of the Universe. However, next issue is a Teela-centric issue that comes close to homaging the mini-comic "Tale of Teela". I guess the blonde hair returns for an issue, if it's a flashback.

• It's a good thing Marlena was mentioned. Her absence was noted by fans.

• Who is the caretaker of Castle Grayskull NOW? Who runs the place? He-Man's claim that he is the power serves to do one thing: Castle Grayskull is not important anymore and can be left unattended...unless He-Man was lying to throw Skeletor and all the other Evil Warriors off from constantly trying to take it over.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is Wolfsfang's New 52 Teela Unappreciation Thread!
    Three very good points - especially the first and the third.

Wouldn't it be nice if He-Man were actually depicted as a hero again? I know, I know - plainly heresy which will get me burned at the stake - but I do rather yearn for those heady days when he was noble and decent and likeable and not the mere sidekick of the red-haired witch of Endor. I return again and again to this point: WHY have they done this to him? Mockery? Scorn? To fit with the New52? Embarrassment at being forced to handle something of which they don't approve - like a genuine uncorrupted hero - in barbarian kit?
    Who knows? Actually - who cares? I just want a He-Man I can recognize back, please - preferably wearing the type of kit that we can all recognize. In a well-written, well-drawn comic that makes me want more - not less. Heretic, heretic....

And about Grayskull; I suspect that Giffen simply didn't understand the significance of the castle OR the Power - and messed it up in his first write-up, and is now trying his best to fudge the clearly unravelled consequences. Leave things you don't understand alone - or - better still - do your research before driving tanks over lawns. That's what writers do.

Yes; #2 is better - but it's still not at all good. I really, really wish that it were.

I get the feeling Adora being an imaginary friend is left over memories from Adora actually being their but having their minds wiped.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I get the feeling Adora being an imaginary friend is left over memories from Adora actually being their but having their minds wiped.
    That's what I'm thinking. The weird thing is...in the digital comic...it showed her remembering being taken as a baby. From Teela's "imaginary friend" talk, it sounds like they could have been like...4 or 5 and hung out. It's a bit curious. It might be neat to see Adora kidnapped at an older age, so Teela and Adora WERE friends. Maybe Teela's such a ***** because, subconsciously, she doesn't want to let anyone else become close to her for fear of losing them? That's why she's so sarcastic and abhorrent?

Heroic Warrior
    That's what I'm thinking. The weird thing is...in the digital comic...it showed her remembering being taken as a baby. From Teela's "imaginary friend" talk, it sounds like they could have been like...4 or 5 and hung out. It's a bit curious. It might be neat to see Adora kidnapped at an older age, so Teela and Adora WERE friends. Maybe Teela's such a ***** because, subconsciously, she doesn't want to let anyone else become close to her for fear of losing them? That's why she's so sarcastic and abhorrent?
    You're right; the digital definitely depicted an infant, not a toddler, being abducted. This connection with Adora is unlikely to be real - more like some kind of mental-sympathy thing (or whatever....they'll come up with something lame to justify it - depend on that.)

And, sadly, I think this Teela is abhorrent because that's how Giffen and DC wanted her - to shock and to show how very modern and up-to-date they are - unlike all those fusty fans. What a pity they fail to see that feisty and edgy went out some time ago in creative terms - it was become the new trope, after all, and so became passe'.....

No; I think we're all fully justified in wanting her punished - preferably in a draconian or even terminal fashion. Do her the world of good - and - just imagine this dismal vision of Eternia without her! He-Man might even emerge as - well - a hero!
    Nar - no call for it, squire......

Quite enjoyed this issue personally. Granted the portrayal of Teela is questionable, but I chose not to let it bother me. My favourite part was easily the dramatic sequence involving Battle Cat where he clawed Despara’s face. Savage and dramatic, which I found was a lot of fun. I’d agree that Teela’s imaginary friend alludes to some sort of history with Adora. One that has been erased from the memories of other Eternians, yet still lingers in Teela’s subconscious. He-Man being referred to as ‘Adam’ by his father took me off guard, but overall I found it to be an interesting dynamic and cool to see. Admittedly Hordak being called a vampire had me raising a brow as well, but that could easily be rationalised as him having the resemblance of one, even if that’s not exactly what he is.

I felt the ridicule of Mekaneck was unhelpful and a little crass though. That’s obviously the writer needlessly mocking the property.

As was Randor’s comment about riding a green cat and a man made of moss slightly unnecessary for me and even a bit contradictory. The suggestion that either of those things are unusual bothers me, because I doubt people who live on a world like Eternia, would have that perspective. You’d take that stuff in your stride a bit more than was implied and probably wouldn’t think to make the distinction to begin with. Unless you were from Earth, which Randor isn’t.

I took his utterance of Marlena at the end as a realisation that Despara was actually his daughter. Almost calling out to the queen in disbelief.

Least that’s my take on it.