Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Ongoing #2 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephilim View Post
    I felt the ridicule of Mekaneck was unhelpful and a little crass though. That’s obviously the writer needlessly mocking the property.
    That comes from MYP, where Mek felt his powers sucked. Ironically, it was Teela who temporarily had the Sorceress' telepathy who called it out after reading his mind. Then Mekaneck's Lament had a whole story around it.

As was Randor’s comment about riding a green cat and a man made of moss slightly unnecessary for me and even a bit contradictory. The suggestion that either of those things are unusual bothers me, because I doubt people who live on a world like Eternia, would have that perspective. You’d take that stuff in your stride a bit more than was implied and probably wouldn’t think to make the distinction to begin with. Unless you were from Earth, which Randor isn’t.
    Good point. I wish Marlena could have made that statement instead.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

you can check out my review of this comic (and some others) by following the links in this thread

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...c-Book-Reviews

if you want a quick sum up of my thoughts on #2...

it sucks
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    That comes from MYP, where Mek felt his powers sucked. Ironically, it was Teela who temporarily had the Sorceress' telepathy who called it out after reading his mind. Then Mekaneck's Lament had a whole story around it.
    To me it seemed like another meta moment where it's a comment on fans (possibly). For some that is the perception of Mekanek. I don't get that this is the writer attacking the character through Teela. She's obviously being immature here so I don't get that we should place any authority on her making fun of Mekanek. Plus we have MAA in the scene trying to sternly point out to Teela that every 'able bodied' Master is needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

This was a fun issue of the comic, but it seemed really short. I hope we see some more Horde characters here pretty soon. Despara is great and I love that she's portrayed as a legit threat, I want to see an epic battle with more than just horde troopers getting owned.

That was fun, looking fwd to the next issue!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 6.1.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    I took the "Marlena" utterance as a stunned Randor noticing a strong resemblance to his wife in the face of the adult Despara/Adora.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

My biggest complaint with this new comic series is the depiction of Teela. They need to tone her down, a lot. She should have some tude but in these comic she's just down right mean. I'm not a fan. Other than that, I just want the Sorceress back, she should not have been killed off.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

WOW this was full of errors!!! Wth?

1. At least 3 plain old typos.

2. A word bubble is coming from Randor that is supposed to be coming from He-Man.

3. There are half a dozen Masters shown when Teela speaks of there being a half a dozen Masters there, yet none are Makaneck.

Currently I only read about 10 other monthly comics, some Marvel and some DC, and I don't see such errors in any of those, which is makin me feel MOTU isn't gettin as much love as it should be. If anyone who reads more monthly books and feels errors are common, I'd be interested to hear about it.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post

2. A word bubble is coming from Randor that is supposed to be coming from He-Man.

3. There are half a dozen Masters shown when Teela speaks of there being a half a dozen Masters there, yet none are Makaneck.

Currently I only read about 10 other monthly comics, some Marvel and some DC, and I don't see such errors in any of those, which is makin me feel MOTU isn't gettin as much love as it should be. If anyone who reads more monthly books and feels errors are common, I'd be interested to hear about it.

I think good old Mek is there, actually - but that only makes the actions of this deplorable pseudo-Teela even less excusable. MAA should put her in her place. So should He-Man - but since they are depicted as weak and ineffectual, then I think we can only hope for Despera to do it. Terminally.

The errors (and there are plenty of others, too - yet more proof of feeble editorial control) are about standard, I'd say, for the degree of care and affection lavished on MotU by this current DC atrocity: ie pretty well none at all. It's becoming as if they deliberately set out to wreck it - and, if so, then one has to be fair and give them credit for doing it really, really well.

As for Hordak the vampire - well, all that was missing from this unholy amalgam of sub-tropes was Twilight.....

And, on that note, Hordak-the-Eminence is meant to be in Despondos. Yet Despera appears to be able to come and go there ad libitum - and (since DC have, as ever, spoiled ahead for months) we are told that when she - somewhat inevitably - captures He-Man, she's to take him before Hordak....
    This seems to suggest that Despondos is an open-access sort of place for white-collar criminals of the better class - like - well - evil 'pan-dimensional vampires' (to quote Giffen's deathless prose.)

One does not simply walk into Despondos.....

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    I took the "Marlena" utterance as a stunned Randor noticing a strong resemblance to his wife in the face of the adult Despara/Adora.
    I reread the issue and I think you are right.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post

I read plenty of comics a month (most of them DC, some Marvel and some IDW) and while you may see the occasional error in a book, it is certainly not typical. Those errors should definitely be caught before the comic goes to print. Mekaneck was in the scene though when Teela was talking about him. As mentioned before, her comments seemed basically based on his comments in the 2000x cartoon .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    I think good old Mek is there, actually - but that only makes the actions of this deplorable pseudo-Teela even less excusable. MAA should put her in her place. So should He-Man - but since they are depicted as weak and ineffectual, then I think we can only hope for Despera to do it. Terminally.

The errors (and there are plenty of others, too - yet more proof of feeble editorial control) are about standard, I'd say, for the degree of care and affection lavished on MotU by this current DC atrocity: ie pretty well none at all. It's becoming as if they deliberately set out to wreck it - and, if so, then one has to be fair and give them credit for doing it really, really well.

As for Hordak the vampire - well, all that was missing from this unholy amalgam of sub-tropes was Twilight.....

And, on that note, Hordak-the-Eminence is meant to be in Despondos. Yet Despera appears to be able to come and go there ad libitum - and (since DC have, as ever, spoiled ahead for months) we are told that when she - somewhat inevitably - captures He-Man, she's to take him before Hordak....
    This seems to suggest that Despondos is an open-access sort of place for white-collar criminals of the better class - like - well - evil 'pan-dimensional vampires' (to quote Giffen's deathless prose.)

One does not simply walk into Despondos.....
    All we know for sure is that Hordak is trapped in and can't leave Despondos. Adora somehow was brought there, so that implies there is some way to travel there and Randor mentioned that the Horde had some high-level tech regarding teleportation, so maybe that includes devices to travel between realms. I think DC's version of Hordak is a combination of Hordak and Horde Prime and I look forward to the one-shot to provide more info.

I like this issue but i wonder how Teela and Randor know that He-man is Adam I hope that II be explained in de next issues

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    The thought had crossed my mind. I suppose there would have to be some way for Randor to realise she's his daughter. Though I was kinda hoping for Marlena to turn up in the next panel because she's been notably absent, but that was the last panel. Hopefully she's not dead.

Quote Originally Posted by gucky View Post
    I like this issue but i wonder how Teela and Randor know that He-man is Adam I hope that II be explained in de next issues
    They've known since the previous six issue mini-series. Though I would wish the comic would point out whether it's just the Masters or if everyone knows he is He-man.
    I hate you. So much.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    In this universe, Adam transformed into He-Man for the first time while fighting Skeletor. There is no secret. Adam's transformation into He-Man is more of a power-up rather than superhero secret identity. The only reason he runs off to change is because there is alot of energy during the transformation.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

In this universe, Adam transformed into He-Man for the first time while fighting Skeletor. There is no secret. Adam's transformation into He-Man is more of a power-up rather than superhero secret identity. The only reason he runs off to change is because there is alot of energy during the transformation.
    so what about the dreams in the past of He-man adam had in the miniseries? Teela said in later issues that the dreams where trough. so that makes in the origin of he-man comic the first comic (chronologically) in the series he fist discovered the powersword and as he-man his fist fight with skeletor.

Heroic Warrior
    so what about the dreams in the past of He-man adam had in the miniseries? Teela said in later issues that the dreams where trough. so that makes in the origin of he-man comic the first comic (chronologically) in the series he fist discovered the powersword and as he-man his fist fight with skeletor.
    Actually, you're right - and the whole concept of everyone knowing is a pretty serious flaw; but what's one more among so many? And as for this - frankly breathtakingly absurd - idea that he has to run outside to change on account of the energy (released? absorbed? - ?? no one seems to know - or care) well - again - of a piece with the rest of this misguided attempt by the under-researched and inept writer/editor to change everthing for the sake of being seen to do so.
    That's why it all comes across as so utterly flat, thin, contrived - and silly. Things built on flimsy foundations are like that - seldom robust. And the odd thing is that the foundations - and strong and reliable ones - were already in place - but ignored.

But; DC and Giffen know best; you can see that in the awesome quality of their MotU work - and the grateful and unmitigatedly positive reaction of fans and casual readers alike.
    Last edited by Scriptor; May 16, 2013 at 06:37pm.

Giffen is a genius and achieved his goal: generate fans reactions.

This series is on its way to become the best motu series of all .
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

I just don't get that impression from the comics. They haven't outright stated what status He-man's secret identity is in these comics, but there does seem to be evidence that it was present at some point. Reading the origin story in the first couple of pages Skeletor asks "who are you?". Later in the comic Adam is shown to be trapped under rubble when he transforms into He-man out of site (though I'll admit that it isn't entirely convincing since Skeletor and Adam were the only two people in the room). Plus the way Skeletor talks about Adam/He-man in the six issue mini-series it doesn't seem as though he knew before he took over Grayskull (which still has yet to be explained how that actually happened aside from a 'betrayal' from a certain someone).
    I hate you. So much.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    I just don't get that impression from the comics. They haven't outright stated what status He-man's secret identity is in these comics, but there does seem to be evidence that it was present at some point. Reading the origin story in the first couple of pages Skeletor asks "who are you?". Later in the comic Adam is shown to be trapped under rubble when he transforms into He-man out of site (though I'll admit that it isn't entirely convincing since Skeletor and Adam were the only two people in the room). Plus the way Skeletor talks about Adam/He-man in the six issue mini-series it doesn't seem as though he knew before he took over Grayskull (which still has yet to be explained how that actually happened aside from a 'betrayal' from a certain someone).
    Again, agreed; it's not made clear - like so much else. I think Giffen's afraid of actually defining his vision of Eternia, since it's already clear that it has gaping great holes in it and doesn't hold together under pressure - as we've seen. He should either have stuck to basic canon - or else defined his conceptual vision at the outset; this mish-mash is really unappealling - and the product is flimsy and ephemeral.

I think the comic basically assumes the reader knows the basic concept and backstory of motu. They need to set out their vision more clearly. Maybe it would have been better if they started with an origin story rather than what they did with the six issue mini-series which seems like it's set at a later point in the mythology.
    I hate you. So much.

The comments about Mekaneck are just getting old. Not only do they disrespect his importance and abilities, but they also hide him. Mekaneck is shown twice. Once in the background in the darkness where you see his neck extended up, and another page where King Randor is talking you see a speech bubble covering his face. Maybe the writer should research the importance of recon during battle and research other abilities Mekaneck has before writing stuff like he did.
    Worlds Biggest Meteorb Fan!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    DC Comics on MOTU: "We hate all the characters you love, and we'll tell you all about it through Teela!"

Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    I think the comic basically assumes the reader knows the basic concept and backstory of motu. They need to set out their vision more clearly. Maybe it would have been better if they started with an origin story rather than what they did with the six issue mini-series which seems like it's set at a later point in the mythology.
    I totally agreed with that !!!! They should make a miniserie or spotlight what happened between the origin and the the six issue miniseries. They are only confusing new readers with this

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    DC Comics on MOTU: "We hate all the characters you love, and we'll tell you all about it through Teela!"

Yeah those are pretty much my feelings, based on how they've used Teela. Nicely put

Heroic Warrior
    Darkspecter

Quote Originally Posted by Nephilim View Post
    Yeah those are pretty much my feelings, based on how they've used Teela. Nicely put

YES!

And - add to that: we despise all you fuddy-duddy fans for not being as cool and hip and to the coast as we are. We eat a lot of breakfast cereal in the DC dungeon-dimension; we eat nothing else, in fact. Our moms bring it to us and do our laundry, too - and dress us; in fact we never, ever leave the premises in case we meet any real people - or - worse WOMEN (shudder...!)
    Why aren't you fans as cool as we are? It must be sad for you, spending all that time in the open air and talking with adults... We wouldn't like that at all.
    So - we are going to destroy your well-loved fantasy world out of sheer spite - because we can!
    So there!

(Only, of course - it may not actually have been as mature a discourse as this...)
    Last edited by Scriptor; May 16, 2013 at 06:38pm.

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    I've said it before but I am enjoying the new "direction". I'm eager to see a new take on the story, this isn't your grand dad's MOTU.

I loved Filmation, loved MYP it's new parts/changes as well as it's nods to Filmation and love this new canon. Give me new stories, fresh takes! Sorry but I won't be content with re-watching the Tale of Teela or Diamond Ray the rest of my life.

Is some of DC's stuff off the wall? YES. Is it what I would have done? Probably not. But at least its SOMETHING new.