Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom MOTUC: Horde Mummy

Custom MOTUC: Horde Mummy

Well, after reading thru the Power and Honor catalog and discovering the existence of the Horde Mummy, I did alot of looking around at customs that various ppl over the years had made and discovered that no one had ever attempted a full on direct image translation into classics form with accurate wrappings and outfit. So, I had to give it a try. Here is my attempt at a a direct illustration to MOTUC figure translation of the Horde Mummy...

Horde Mummy Original Illustration Art Piece...

...and here is my Custom MOTUC: Horde Mummy Figure.

This custom was straightforward using alot of sculpey, a custom made chest harness using random parts, a toy gem from the Dollar store, Stratos hands and feet, and the rest is entirely demoman parts.

My version of the Horde Mummy, required alot of careful dremel work to make the body cavaties in the figure parts to teh depth shown in the illustration. The figure also uses "whenever possible" accurate shown number of wrappings/direction of wrapping, and scale/sized wrappings [which was a UTTER HELL to get right by the way! lol In the end to replicate the illustration in 3D on a MOTUC buck and preserving all its articulation ended up using right under 280 individual cut pieces of sculpey to do]...
    BUT in the end, all articulation has been preserved in this updated Horde Mummy figure.

The gem on the belt is from a kids birthday party ring set that I forget the name of, but it added alot to the figure as the illustration gem could be taken as either being oval or badly drawl circle... lol.
    So to have a little wiggle room I went with oval as that allowed for this gem which kind of adds a lil imagination into the figure, which alot of the vintage MOTU figures did to figure out for yourself why its there. With this gem on the belt you almost want to think that maybe its this gem thats animating the mummy back to life by some kind of evil horde magic.
    The chest harness was made from a horde Prime cape bat, and some leftover stratos chest harness straps.

Here is also a comparison shot of the illustration and the figure side by side.

I look forward to hearing any and all comments about the figure.

---EDIT---
    Due to being slammed with TONNNnnns of PM requests for more... More... MORE... pictures... lol. I have bumped and updated this first post with 2 more shots.

Different sides of figure shot

"For fun" Shot with Horde Mummy with my Filmation Hordak Custom figure I made.

[just make a snorting filmation hordak laugh then a rather typical mummy raspy "nnnnnhhhh" sound... an you got the image down.. lol]
    Last edited by Replikor; May 15, 2013 at 10:37pm.

That came out freaking fantastic sir! I love all the wrapping details you did. Can not wait to see what you do next!
    Worlds Biggest Meteorb Fan!

Excellent Job. I assume that took alot of man hours to finish but your dedication to detail and fine workmanship really show in your work. Well Done

Quote Originally Posted by facet View Post
    Excellent Job. I assume that took alot of man hours to finish but your dedication to detail and fine workmanship really show in your work. Well Done
    I spent around 7-8hrs at each sitting for around 2 weeks doing nothing but cutting an trying individual wrappings to get them as close in thickness and size/scale to the illustration as possible.
    ...OMG it was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo many hours work! OMG... [facepalm]... I think this OCD to detail is gonna end up killing me.. lol
    Last edited by Replikor; May 16, 2013 at 12:31am.

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    wow, the detailing is truly impressive: incredible work, congrats.

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    That is brilliant! Amazing job Rep. In the words of Macklemore....This is ****ing awesome!

ok ok ppl! JUST BECASUE YOU DEMANDED IT! lol...

Due to being slammed with TONNNnnns of PM requests for more... More... MORE... pictures... lol. I have bumped and updated the first post with 2 more shots.
    One is a back, and both sides of the body shot image, and a for fun action pose alongside my Filmation Hordak Custom figure.

Really good work. Great details and good painting job.
    Maybe you could emprove the belt buckle but the sculpt of bendages and muscles under bendages is great!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    DRAGSTOR in MotUC

Quote Originally Posted by orsogranito View Post
    Really good work. Great details and good painting job.
    Maybe you could emprove the belt buckle but the sculpt of bendages and muscles under bendages is great!
    Well the buckle is actually a little dollar store plastic lime green gemstone. It wasnt sculpted at all. I just form fitted it into the belt an glued it in place.

damn awesome work sir really turn out amazing .. really would like to add one to my collection someday

Great Job, killer attention to detail, Really sick...... I guess since im a fool, Ill need to ask... If you were making it as close to the original drawing as possible, why did you choose to give him a "skullface" instead of a human face like the original drawing?

Quote Originally Posted by joeybones View Post
    Great Job, killer attention to detail, Really sick...... I guess since im a fool, Ill need to ask... If you were making it as close to the original drawing as possible, why did you choose to give him a "skullface" instead of a human face like the original drawing?
    Well since he is a mummy, the demoman face worked best to show how seriously old his body is.
    Which helps as it also works with the gem.

I mean, thinking about it you have to wonder, why he is wearing that gem. Is it magical? Is that what brought him back to life? Is it infused with dark horde magics? Little things like that should be incorporated into all the figures in some way, at least in my opinion anyway.

It just conveys a sense of curiosity, which provokes a little thought and imagination that we used to use with the figures as kids.

You make your own story with the visual clues.
    Last edited by Replikor; May 21, 2013 at 08:07am.

Can I ask how did you make the bendages?
    DRAGSTOR in MotUC

Quote Originally Posted by orsogranito View Post
    Can I ask how did you make the bendages?
    Super Sculpey that was rolled till it was as close to the thickness of an exacto knife blade.... which took alot of effort to do... ugh. Thats basicly how I made every one of the bandages, well except for the ones sticking off the figures body loose that look like bandages blowing in the wind or hanging loose. Those parts are all "super thin shaved down" pieces of existing MOTUC figure plastic from capes or whatever I had laying around just glued in place then covered an worked into the sculpey made wrappings to blend in.

WOW! Nice work there Rep! Looks great!
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

OK that's awsome! nice work on all the attention to detail. I think you may have put yourself through the ringer for nothing though even without following the image for reference this custom would have turned out just as nice. what really sets it aside from all the previous attempts at this one is the open areas. Those are sweet. If I ever try to one up you I'd try to shave down the bulk of the figure so once all the bandages are on he's not so thick. My hats off to you I think we'll see many pale imitation copies coming out of the wood work.
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by smanomega View Post
    OK that's awsome! nice work on all the attention to detail. I think you may have put yourself through the ringer for nothing though even without following the image for reference this custom would have turned out just as nice. what really sets it aside from all the previous attempts at this one is the open areas. Those are sweet. If I ever try to one up you I'd try to shave down the bulk of the figure so once all the bandages are on he's not so thick. My hats off to you I think we'll see many pale imitation copies coming out of the wood work.
    Ya, in hindsight I am 50/50 on having made the body smaller before adding sculpy. But since its a beefy he-manverse style mummy... I am ok with him having bulk on his bones still. lol

That is a fantastic custom, Replikor!

WOW... That right there is PERFECTION!!!
    "I'M THE SHADOW THAT MOVES ON THE WALLS"

I really really REALLY hate this custom

Because you haven't posted it to me for free
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Sweet man, looks just like the artwork! Nice work.

...great work Anthony

Incredible! The Demo-man face is perfect. And look at those feet! The attention to detail on the direction of the wraps in the artwork is awesome.
    At this time, I'm not taking commissions or selling any of my customs. Sorry everyone, I'm just a tease.

Absolutely incredible work.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

extremely incredible work!
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."