Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: (New 52) Teela Unappreciation thread (some spoilers)

Hui, after reading this it makes me wonder if Giffen is "blessed" with a daughter like that and wants to share here super attitude with all the Masters fans.
    And it makes me happy that i don't read those comics! There is simply no way to me how they could turn her around being more polite and responsible and being plausible. Same for Adora that murdering being... this series is just bad, bad for Masters in general and i don't care if it is a new view on things. I don't need that. And reading the first post of Wolfsfang shows me it isn't worth a dime and i don't even want it as a gift. In ANY Universe a person talking like that to the roalys will be punished right away (see Keldor, in this origin story, he didn't get to explain what happened and is banished right away)... but this here is just ridiculous.
    And if all of this is supposed to create a buzz about it, it is not fun anymore, it is just a shame how the brand is being treated.

I find it funny to see people try and defend her by saying stuff like "she has spoke her mind" or "it's just playful banter" or anything else.

As I have said, I could buy that in past versions of the character. I admit even then I think she should have shown a bit more respect to people, especially Adam who will one day be her ruler, but there was still at least some respect there. This new DC version of Teela doesn't come across this way at all, she respects NOBODY and this make her totally unlikable.

Funny thing about them banishing Keldor like that is he IS technically a royal as he is Randor's brother and He-Man's uncle, so he is actually a prince.

So they are happy enough to banish a prince for being rude but Teela constantly gets away with it because she is... actually why does she?
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    So they are happy enough to banish a prince for being rude but Teela constantly gets away with it because she is... actually why does she?
    Because she´s just so damn friggin´ sexy.
    Yeah, I like the bad girls. And obviously Teela is the better Evil-Lyn. Now. What´s not to love about a fierce redhead with no shame to undress in front of everybody and whos character is so strong that she bullies everybody and gets away with it?
    Positivity, folks!
    Let´s all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

I wouldn't even call her *****y - she is just evil. That Mekaneck thing was despicable. It's not about being feisty or direct, it's about being a terrible, prejudiced, discriminating, evil person. How corrupt do you have to be to say you are sorry that someone survived?! It's one thing to be outspoken, it's a whole different thing when you expose your malice. If Mekaneck is a heroic warrior, he probably deserves it somehow. And they keep her around??? He-Man and King Randor take the blame here too for not kicking her out - you can't build an effective team if one team member screams she wishes another teammate were dead. And then there's all the other things you guys mentioned...

I don't understand what happened here - how did we get into this situation that everyone hates Teela?! TEELA?!?!? She was always awesome. I don't know much about comic book writers - who is this writer and why is he doing this?

actually I would say she is both evil and *****y who just spews venom every time she opens her foul little mouth

It's one thing if Mek himself questions his right to be on his team due to his ability simply being to stretch his neck, that is his right. But what Teela said was, as Ivan says, downright evil
    Last edited by wolfsfang; May 16, 2013 at 11:49am.

The strumpet needs to be killed off, or at least get one hard slap across the face by Despara.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    The strumpet needs to be killed off, or at least get one hard slap across the face by Despara.
    so true.

death or a good slapping? Make your choice

I haven't read these 2 issues (and I don't plan on it), but I have seen her outfit and I hate it. I don't like her being sexualized.

So what issue is the He-man butt shot premiering in? When do Evil-lyn and Teela start doing body shots off each other?

I did some snooping and found out that Teela becomes a respectable character again once Snooki-Na shows up at the palace and really starts making a mess of everything. Teela puts the smack down on Snooki-Na in a mud-wrestling match and then realizes the error of her ways. It's rumored that the final panels are of Snooki-Na walking out of the palace in her thong and bra. Teela thinks, "Is that what I look like, trolliping around here in front of my father in my underwear? Charging into battle in a Laker-girl uniform? I think I'll summon Orko to conjure me up an outfit worthy of the future Queen of Eternia and Guardian of Castle Grayskull. Wishful thinking, I know." And then she winks at the audience.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh right, I forgot. Isn't Orko the big bad evil in the DC storyline? Maybe he put a spell on Teela to make her the way she is.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    I wouldn't even call her *****y - she is just evil. That Mekaneck thing was despicable. It's not about being feisty or direct, it's about being a terrible, prejudiced, discriminating, evil person. How corrupt do you have to be to say you are sorry that someone survived?! It's one thing to be outspoken, it's a whole different thing when you expose your malice. If Mekaneck is a heroic warrior, he probably deserves it somehow. And they keep her around??? He-Man and King Randor take the blame here too for not kicking her out - you can't build an effective team if one team member screams she wishes another teammate were dead. And then there's all the other things you guys mentioned...

I don't understand what happened here - how did we get into this situation that everyone hates Teela?! TEELA?!?!? She was always awesome. I don't know much about comic book writers - who is this writer and why is he doing this?
    Yes - absolutely; it's worth remembering that it's DESPERA who's in need of redemption - not Teela (and did I really have to write that last sentence ? WHY?) And Adora, acting under baleful influences, has some excuse. So what's the redheaded witch's, then? She's foul. I disliked her in Series 1; I loathe her now. A bloodthirsty, perma-angry little putain with no good qualities that I can find.

That funeral scene was beyond ghastly - how ANY writer - even Giffen - with a mere modicum of contextual and cultural understanding could show the heir to the throne indulging in public 'humourous' (sic) banter (including Mhan's bizarre operatic gestures) right in front of a huge crowd of respectful mourners at a national occasion, simply astonishes me. This Teela has corrupted this Adam - and he's He-Man - and everybody knows it (for some lame-brained reason that ever wasn't ever explained) and he still acts like this - egged on by her. Pathetic.

Why don't Randor, MAA and He-Man shut her up? Why is He-Man a mere sidekick to this rampaging, foul-mouthed little begins-with-b-and-rhymes-with-the-opposite-of-poor? Why does he indulge her - even engaging (as He-Man) in her valley-girl brain-dead banter? Another very good reason to keep He-Man and Adam separate and distinct, I would say.

And the next instalment (Elders aid us..) is the Tedious-Tale-of-Tourettes-Teela. What a treat for us all. Will all be explained? Will we even care? Why should we?

The whole last series was about Teela and her attitude; this one is even more so - and now we find that she gets all the next chapter to herself. I can barely restrain my enthusiasm. I hope that Wolfy's in good voice when it comes out - I so, so, do. He alone can do it justice in its overriding, almost majestic awfulness.

I remember a time when He-Man was a genuine hero - one to respect and admire, respected and admired - and rightly - by those around him. Including Teela. Now he can't even keep her in order.
    If he no longer is - then whose fault is that, Keith-why should I care-Giffen?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Now if Giffen is writing her as being terrible to later reform her, he's doing a great job. People HATE her right now.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    I don't know much about comic book writers - who is this writer and why is he doing this?
    I was so shocked when i flipped through some comics and found his name on a cover of LOBO. He created LOBO, with some other guy who i don't remember... but that is really something...
    Why he is doing it? I guess because he can do whatever he wants... as long as there is someone who's mouth should be cleaned with acid and carnage.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Now if Giffen is writing her as being terrible to later reform her, he's doing a great job. People HATE her right now.
    Oh - most certainly (if indeed he's that capable - which I hold in reserved judgement) But, frankly, by the time he does this (and he will, he will - it's so obvious that it scrapes the sky) will there still be any readers left to care? Or will Mattel have called time on a failed experiment?

Tank time looms (and I don't mean the ripped-off Star Wars walkers shown attacking Grayskull on next issue's cover, either..)

Wolfy's right; allied to all the rest of the steady car-crash which is DC's take on MotU, anything done now to reform the unmentionable b-word, will be too little, too late.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MAXX View Post
    I was so shocked when i flipped through some comics and found his name on a cover of LOBO. He created LOBO, with some other guy who i don't remember... but that is really something...
    Why he is doing it? I guess because he can do whatever he wants... as long as there is someone who's mouth should be cleaned with acid and carnage.
    As I've said before, I'm sure that Giffen is capable enough in other contexts - but, to MotU, he is what King Herod Agrippa was to childcare.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    She-Ra +1

...couldn't resist.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    That funeral scene was beyond ghastly - how ANY writer - even Giffen - with a mere modicum of contextual and cultural understanding could show the heir to the throne indulging in public 'humourous' (sic) banter (including Mhan's bizarre operatic gestures) right in front of a huge crowd of respectful mourners at a national occasion, simply astonishes me. This Teela has corrupted this Adam - and he's He-Man - and everybody knows it (for some lame-brained reason that ever wasn't ever explained) and he still acts like this - egged on by her. Pathetic.
    Yeah, that scene was bad. I'm not saying they should have pulled their hair out weeping, but I expected them to be a little sad. Even if Teela didn't know it was her mother, still, it's the Sorceress. The two of them acted as if they were at some boring social function and didn't care about the person being commemorated.

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    Oh - most certainly (if indeed he's that capable - which I hold in reserved judgement) But, frankly, by the time he does this (and he will, he will - it's so obvious that it scrapes the sky) will there still be any readers left to care? Or will Mattel have called time on a failed experiment?

Tank time looms (and I don't mean the ripped-off Star Wars walkers shown attacking Grayskull on next issue's cover, either..)

Wolfy's right; allied to all the rest of the steady car-crash which is DC's take on MotU, anything done now to reform the unmentionable b-word, will be too little, too late.

- - - Updated - - -

As I've said before, I'm sure that Giffen is capable enough in other contexts - but, to MotU, he is what King Herod Agrippa was to childcare.
    He can redeem Teela if he wants, but I won't care. This isn't Teela so whatever he does with her is going to feel like a lie to me.

I wish we could get some creatives involved who care more about a genuine, honest to goodness good story than yanking our chains around because they think it will sell comics. I'm the same with movies and music. I rarely like stuff that is trying to hard to please me. I find I like stuff better when the artist involved is staying true to an idea, storyline, or character. Here they just change things to sell more comics. I know I'm talking about a fantasy/sci-fi property, but for what it is, it doesn't even feel real. It's just some magician trying to pull one over on me - but I know he's a magician so I don't care what he does. I don't care how fancy your trick (or storyline) is if I don't believe it. I don't believe it's Teela or He-man. So I honestly haven't gotten that involved. I dropped the first series and I dropped the digital comics.

I like this Teela. She is an exaggerated version of the Filmation Teela imo. It's a new direction and I tend to look at this as such. When I read this I look at it as a new thing and I don't compare it to any MotU we have had before.

As for Teela's costume, in the comic itself it looks an aweful lot like her usual atire. I don't really get the fuss.
    Last edited by Neo; May 16, 2013 at 03:44pm.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

From Joe Amato on Facebook:

For those who read issue #2 of the ongoing He-Man and the Masters of the Universe comic will know what this combination of pictures is about. Once again, they are completely making a mockery of Mekaneck, and portraying him as a worthless character. The comments come from Teela who almost seems to imply she wished Mekaneck died, and saying all he does is stretch his neck.

Well in times of war, having someone who does recon work and can see enemies coming from miles away is one of the most important things and that is what Mekaneck does. In Filmation he can also see through objects as well. And he is also a warrior, so he can fight. But this inside joke of him being worthless from the writer is just getting very old. He must be going by what some fans say or maybe he is taking MYP as reference of Mekaneck being "worthless". And you can see they even disrespect him in the comic by showing him twice, but in barely noticeable spots. One he is hiding in the shadows in the background, and the other a speech bubble is covering his face where I circled in red.

I hope the writer does some more research about Mekaneck and gives him some respect in future issues. Just my opinion.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    The thing that kills me the most about Teela saying Mekaneck doesn't have a useful talent...is that she, herself, doesn't have ANY talents! That we know of, at least. She might gain some of the Sorceress' abilities, but for now she's just a woman. Mekaneck's a warrior that happens to also have a special ability. I mean, does she also ***** about all those "useless" Royal Guards that made it to Castle Grayskull? Man, I sure bet she wished all those worthless *******s were murdered by the Horde. That would serve them right for being "ordinary" and not up to the "extroadinary" Teela's standards.

They need to kill her. Kill her with fire!!! She's really more evil than anything else in the series so far. At least, the most rude and uncaring.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Yeah, gotta say, Teela's portrayal was one of the big things that put me off after book 1.

I take less issue with her mocking Mekaneck than I do with the fact that she's saying it while splaying out in a stripper pose.

Heroic Warrior
    A cool twist would be to have Mek save Teela in one of the upcoming issues.

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    I seem to be in the minority. I for one actually like this new 52 Teela.

She reminds me of several headstrong and self-centred ‘princesses’ I have met during my life. Some are daddy’s little girl with a rich, powerful or doting father, while others realise that this can be a way to get ahead in their career. So the depiction of Teela as an annoying brat who gets away with things outside of societal norms because she is capable and her wrath is feared is very well done to me. Giffen deserves some praise. I just hope this Teela gradually evolves into a more likeable leading heroine in the coming comic issues before I end-up cheering for Despara and the Horde!
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    From Joe Amato on Facebook:

For those who read issue #2 of the ongoing He-Man and the Masters of the Universe comic will know what this combination of pictures is about. Once again, they are completely making a mockery of Mekaneck, and portraying him as a worthless character. The comments come from Teela who almost seems to imply she wished Mekaneck died, and saying all he does is stretch his neck.

Well in times of war, having someone who does recon work and can see enemies coming from miles away is one of the most important things and that is what Mekaneck does. In Filmation he can also see through objects as well. And he is also a warrior, so he can fight. But this inside joke of him being worthless from the writer is just getting very old. He must be going by what some fans say or maybe he is taking MYP as reference of Mekaneck being "worthless". And you can see they even disrespect him in the comic by showing him twice, but in barely noticeable spots. One he is hiding in the shadows in the background, and the other a speech bubble is covering his face where I circled in red.

I hope the writer does some more research about Mekaneck and gives him some respect in future issues. Just my opinion.
    Wow, what a terrible scene. I don't understand how this comic could be that bad. It's as if everything Toyguru touches turns crappy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    I take less issue with her mocking Mekaneck than I do with the fact that she's saying it while splaying out in a stripper pose.
    I noticed the same thing. The people producing these must have the emotional level of 12 year old boys. And they want us to feel that way, too!!

Quote Originally Posted by DVD View Post
    I think it's pretty obvious that is the direction they're taking.
    I left my wallet in El Segundo...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DVD View Post
    It would indeed; but I fear that Giffen is far too much in love with his Teela creation (and, boy, does it show...) to allow her to be seen as anything other than dominant, feisty, edgy, full of attitude yadda, yadda (yawn - I think I just nodded off at the sheer dated banality of it; this stuff went out, in comic terms, with Noah's Ark..)

My fear is that Mek will do something silly in a bid (a needless bid - who would care what Teela thinks - if indeed she thinks at all, that is..?) to prove his worth - and get inhumed with extreme prejudice. I had expected it to be Dekker; after all, bringing him back in order to kill him off would be bog-standard new-DC , would it not? We shall see. But it won't be Teela - dear me, no. She's being saved for a 'shock' redemption (yeah; right) - which is bizarre, as a well-written Teela with a competent characterization would NEED any such thing - and we could actually concentrate on Despera's redemption (and I think I see how it's going to be done, too.... think He-Man as a captive of the Horde...)

But I am bored to tears with this portrayal of Teela - dull, repetitive, unoriginal, banal, pointless and immature as it is. I REALLY don't like how her inept portrayal makes He-Man and MAA look so pitiably weak and malleable. Just slap her, lads; it's the only language she understands.
    She is taking over the MotU world, thanks to Giffen - and I can't wait for it to end. Rather like this whole disastrous vision of pseud-Eternia he has - like Victor Frankenstein - miscreated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    He can redeem Teela if he wants, but I won't care. This isn't Teela so whatever he does with her is going to feel like a lie to me.

I wish we could get some creatives involved who care more about a genuine, honest to goodness good story than yanking our chains around because they think it will sell comics. I'm the same with movies and music. I rarely like stuff that is trying to hard to please me. I find I like stuff better when the artist involved is staying true to an idea, storyline, or character. Here they just change things to sell more comics. I know I'm talking about a fantasy/sci-fi property, but for what it is, it doesn't even feel real. It's just some magician trying to pull one over on me - but I know he's a magician so I don't care what he does. I don't care how fancy your trick (or storyline) is if I don't believe it. I don't believe it's Teela or He-man. So I honestly haven't gotten that involved. I dropped the first series and I dropped the digital comics.
    I could not agree more; oh for some able creatives with the capacity to relate engaging and complex stories aimed at people with levels of emotional intelligence above that of 3rd graders. Can it REALLY be that hard to foster this - even for DC? MVC managed it brilliantly ten years back. Staples and Santalucia must be weeping when they see this stuff being slung out with so little research, skill, imagination, ability or even basic right/wrong decency - and all posing as Eternia/He-Man/Masters. It's a travesty.

But - the point I made elsewhere in foro after speaking with my media-savvy investment banker friend - this is a desperate throw by DC.
    And - judging by much of the reaction here, and by the fanfares of silence on the web - it's being met with anger by an awful lot of fans - and with indifference by the wider community. Sales will fall, it may not even go to term - and who will touch MotU comics again after this fiasco? Ten more fallow years? Great job, Giffen; I doubt that you could have pulled this off so effectively if you had actually intended this outcome.
    Last edited by Scriptor; May 16, 2013 at 05:35pm.

To be honest, I'm kind of sick to death of Teela being on Eterina. Perhaps it's time for a major shakeup in that regard.

Since she never visited Etheria in the Princess of Power cartoon series, it may be an interesting twist to have Man-At-Arms and the rest of the gang get so aggravated with her behavior, that they decide to ship her off to help The Rebellion when, at some point, Adora returns to the planet.

They could make Adora be the outcasted, repentant loner who doesn't feel worthy of having her powers as She-Ra. She wants to make amends as Adora. Teela is the middle-woman between Adora and The Rebellion, since The Rebellion depises Adora.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."