Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: (New 52) Teela Unappreciation thread (some spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    I take less issue with her mocking Mekaneck than I do with the fact that she's saying it while splaying out in a stripper pose.
    I know, who sits like that? I guess someone who wears an outfit to work that leaves 2/3 of her breasts hanging out might.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    The thing that kills me the most about Teela saying Mekaneck doesn't have a useful talent...is that she, herself, doesn't have ANY talents! That we know of, at least. She might gain some of the Sorceress' abilities, but for now she's just a woman. Mekaneck's a warrior that happens to also have a special ability. I mean, does she also ***** about all those "useless" Royal Guards that made it to Castle Grayskull? Man, I sure bet she wished all those worthless *******s were murdered by the Horde. That would serve them right for being "ordinary" and not up to the "extroadinary" Teela's standards.

They need to kill her. Kill her with fire!!! She's really more evil than anything else in the series so far. At least, the most rude and uncaring.
    Seems like the artists involved have found Teela's talents and are exposing them for everyone to see.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    To be honest, I'm kind of sick to death of Teela being on Eterina. Perhaps it's time for a major shakeup in that regard.

Since she never visited Etheria in the Princess of Power cartoon series, it may be an interesting twist to have Man-At-Arms and the rest of the gang get so aggravated with her behavior, that they decide to ship her off to help The Rebellion when, at some point, Adora returns to the planet.

They could make Adora be the outcasted, repentant loner who doesn't feel worthy of having her powers as She-Ra. She wants to make amends as Adora. Teela is the middle-woman between Adora and The Rebellion, since The Rebellion depises Adora.
    Push Teela in a rocket and shoot her out into space, you say? I'm game.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    Seems like the artists involved have found Teela's talents and are exposing them for everyone to see.
    There is that. Heroic power of self-exposure!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    I like this Teela. She is an exaggerated version of the Filmation Teela imo. It's a new direction and I tend to look at this as such. When I read this I look at it as a new thing and I don't compare it to any MotU we have had before.

As for Teela's costume, in the comic itself it looks an aweful lot like her usual atire. I don't really get the fuss.
    It almost IS her usual attire, but modified to be more sexual. The big difference is her cleavage when Ed Benes draws her on covers and her midsection is showing.

Battleground Teela shows more skin, but I think that look gets by because it's rooted in MOTU history and nostalgia. People are more up in arms about this look.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    [QUOTE=MegaGearMax; It almost IS her usual attire, but modified to be more sexual. The big difference is her cleavage when Ed Benes draws her on covers and her midsection is showing.

Battleground Teela shows more skin, but I think that look gets by because it's rooted in MOTU history and nostalgia. People are more up in arms about this look.

The look isn't really the issue, though; it's what it says about the DC team's attitude towards her character and how they wish her to be seen. But it's really her character as portrayed here that so irks; not because it's new or counter-canon or shocking or whatever - but because it's pointlessly over-done and - bluntly - has all the finesse of the kind of vision one might expect from an adolescent tiro essaying his very first comic/fanfic. But - these types grow out of it. Not so DC.

It's just tediously dull and juvenile - and - in allowing her to steal the entire new DC 'take' - going on FAR, FAR, TOO LONG....
    Last edited by Scriptor; May 16, 2013 at 07:50pm.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    It almost IS her usual attire, but modified to be more sexual. The big difference is her cleavage when Ed Benes draws her on covers and her midsection is showing.

I agree - it's definitely how much cleavage is showing and how large she is up top. She at least doubled her cup size, if not tripled in some panels. And then there's actually less material covering up 2 or 3 times the flesh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Push Teela in a rocket and shoot her out into space, you say? I'm game.

There is that. Heroic power of self-exposure!
    That made me laugh, and then it made me sad. Teela did always have a bit of an attitude, but to me it seemed it was because she was trying to do a good job - be a strong warrior and whip Adam into shape. What is this attitude about here? I personally don't think it's an exaggeration of her old attitude, it's entirely different. She was good-intentioned before (even if sometimes abrasive), but here she's just nasty.

THANK GOODNESS for this thread. I hate Nu-Teela too. I don't mind her being a little brash, keeping Adam on his toes and getting herself into trouble, but they've overdone it with her to a terrible degree.

With regards to her costume, I think it's only understandable that we dislike it. When other comic book characters get their outfits redesigned every few years it's not such a big deal, as they've been seen in their regular gear for many issues and stories. With the MOTU characters it's been a decade since we last had them appearing in any media, so it would have been nice if they'd stayed truer to the original characters and designs for a year or so before branching out and trying something new. We should be really excited to have new stories about our favourite characters, but we aren't, as they're not behaving like the characters we know and love.

The new MOTU comic should be an evolution of the brand, not a badly thought-out revolution, designed to shock and titilate.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    I know, who sits like that? I guess someone who wears an outfit to work that leaves 2/3 of her breasts hanging out might.
    Teela has 3 breasts?
    Last edited by Tribal Spaceman; May 16, 2013 at 09:14pm. Reason: Teela threatened me :(

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Spaceman View Post
    THANK GOODNESS for this thread. I hate Nu-Teela too. I don't mind her being a little brash, keeping Adam on his toes and getting herself into trouble, but they've overdone it with her to a terrible degree.

With regards to her costume, I think it's only understandable that we dislike it. When other comic book characters get their outfits redesigned every few years it's not such a big deal, as they've been seen in their regular gear for many issues and stories. With the MOTU characters it's been a decade since we last had them appearing in any media, so it would have been nice if they'd stayed truer to the original characters and designs for a year or so before branching out and trying something new. We should be really excited to have new stories about our favourite characters, but we aren't, as they're not behaving like the characters we know and love.

The new MOTU comic should be an evolution of the brand, not a badly thought-out revolution, designed to shock and titilate.

Teela has 3 breasts?
    Great post; it's very relevant indeed that you point out how none of these characters have been seen in the media for so long - and that it would have been a very good idea to stay - at least initially - somewhat conservative in terms of context, appearance and character and let matters bed-in - until the time came for some gradual evolution. No one else has made that point, afaik - and it's a really crucial one, too.

A big part of the problem with this NU-52 stuff (apart from the glaringly obvious ones!) is the abrupt pace of the changes - and how deep they are - and how they keep going on and on, which really seems to have dissipated any early goodwill towards the new venture very quickly - as evinced here and elsewhere.

Too much, too soon - and just not well done enough.

And, yes; this Teela may well have a bit to spare in the mammary department; she's odd in every other way, so why not that, too?

As for your reason for editing... Priceless!
    Last edited by Scriptor; May 16, 2013 at 09:53pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Spaceman View Post
    Teela has 3 breasts?
    Ha! She probably will by the end of the series. Evil-lyn will cast a spell on her, or she'll opt for surgery to further entice the Masters.

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    Great post; it's very relevant indeed that you point out how none of these characters have been seen in the media for so long - and that it would have been a very good idea to stay - at least initially - somewhat conservative in terms of context, appearance and character and let matters bed-in - until the time came for some gradual evolution. No one else has made that point, afaik - and it's a really crucial one, too.

A big part of the problem with this NU-52 stuff (apart from the glaringly obvious ones!) is the abrupt pace of the changes - and how deep they are - and how they keep going on and on, which really seems to have dissipated any early goodwill towards the new venture very quickly - as evinced here and elsewhere.

Too much, too soon - and just not well done enough.

And, yes; this Teela may well have a bit to spare in the mammary department; she's odd in every other way, so why not that, too?

As for your reason for editing... Priceless!
    Thanks, I'm glad you agree. It would have been nice to have had a more recognisable take on He-Man and co. once the miniseries had run it's course. I, like many, assumed that once Skeletor's spell was broken, Eternia would go back to it's previous incarnation. It wouldn't be the same as Filmation / MYP / whatever, but it would be a recognisable combination of all versions, similar to the Classics bios. After a while it would develop into it's own beast, but there's no need to rush these things.

There are ways of bringing a property up to date and having it "grow up" with it's audience without alienating half the fanbase, and I wish DC and Mattel would try a little harder in that respect. Parts of the new comic have been great - the inclusion of Charger, Skeletor being actually evil but retaining his sarcasm, Randor looking like Randor should - but there's been a lot of other things that have not gone down so well.

I've seen people accused of being "stuck in the past" or "unwilling to accept change" when they've voiced their opinions over the new comic, when it's not about that. It's the same with movies. How many times have you watched a film based on a popular comic, cartoon or video game, only for it to bear very little resemblance to the source material? It makes you wonder why they took on the licence in the first place instead of just creating something new.
    Last edited by Tribal Spaceman; May 16, 2013 at 10:09pm. Reason: Teela rubbed her third boob in my face

ya the problem isn't people being not open to change, such as to a darker version of MOTU

the problem is how Teela is being written. Giffen is making her so unlikable that even people who have grown up as fans of hers want her gone
    Last edited by wolfsfang; May 18, 2013 at 01:50pm.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    ya the problem is not being not open to change such as to a darker version of MOTU

the problem is how Teela is being written as Giffen is making her so unlikable that even people who have grown up as fans of hers want her gone
    Agreed. I was all on board with the general approach. I just think the execution is what is lacking.

Not much to add others haven't said but I too find her so unlikable. Dressing and acting a bit slutty, mouthy, rude and arrogant, this is the kind of person I don't give the time of day to in real life. WHy would I want to read about her in fiction. I see this a lot in fiction, people just don't seem to know how to write likable yet strong female characters. They always make them hard faced and nasty.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...ll+Articles%29

In that sense, the only weak link is Teela. She fared well enough in the original mini-series last year, but for some reason Giffen goes way overboard in depicting her as a hostile, endlessly complaining brat. She's never not squabbling with at least one character, and even the fun back-and-forth with Adam grows tiresome after a while. Compounding the problem is Pop Mhan's tendency to emphasize Teela's lady parts in so many panels. This book has no need of cheesecake, yet it always seems to be on the menu for some reason.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

It's the red hair. The fans made Teela have it and she's reacting negatively.

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but this feels like a Teela book guest starring everyone else.

And IGN is right on, her attitude problem all getting very old very fast.
    My MOTUC top 10 wants (POST SDCC 2014):

Queen Angella - Hunga the Harpy - Peekablue - Toy Catra - Veena - Red Knight - Vultak - Dylamug - Sibyline - Kex Queen

Small creatures that need to happen: 3 main twiggets

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Pretty much agree with most of what is said here. I'm not a huge fan of her costume (or BG Teela costume to be honest). Her classic costume is classy and sexy in my book, and I would love to see it as opposed to... whatever she has here. Between her costume and He-Man's upcoming one, I am worried about what She-ra will look like.

But I could live with the costume, but what I can't live with is the way she is written. She is just terrible, and impossible to like. KILL EVERYONE!!!. Really? Ripping on Mekaneck for NOT being slaughtered by the Horde? What the hell is that about?

I don't see it getting better either, because Griffin has said that he loves her and loves writing her. For me though, this is strike 3 on this new series, and I am out.

Strike 1: Castle Grayskull is just a stupid normal castle. Lame
    Strike 2: Orko is a master villain! Super lame, that is just taking a **** on MOTU.
    Strike 3: Teela makes every badguy in the series seem nice.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    Pretty much agree with most of what is said here. I'm not a huge fan of her costume (or BG Teela costume to be honest). Her classic costume is classy and sexy in my book, and I would love to see it as opposed to... whatever she has here. Between her costume and He-Man's upcoming one, I am worried about what She-ra will look like.

But I could live with the costume, but what I can't live with is the way she is written. She is just terrible, and impossible to like. KILL EVERYONE!!!. Really? Ripping on Mekaneck for NOT being slaughtered by the Horde? What the hell is that about?

I don't see it getting better either, because Griffin has said that he loves her and loves writing her. For me though, this is strike 3 on this new series, and I am out.

Strike 2: Orko is a master villain! Super lame, that is just taking a **** on MOTU.
    I dropped the comic during the first series, so I didn't witness first hand that Orko is the big bad or that Grayskull is a normal castle. But I'm taking other's words for it.

I am not interested in a MOTU where Orko is more powerful than Grayskull. ***? Why not reboot Superman and make it so he's only powerful because Jimmy Olsen takes photos of him with a super powered camera, and it wears off with time so he's reliant on Jimmy? It's beyond awful. And that TG and Mattel would allow them to take the Grayskull's power away? Grayskull is the MOTU, even more than He-man to me.

And Teela is a good person.

I was wondering if one could save this Teela if one completely rewrote the word bubbles*... I mean she would still strip in front of Dekker, Adam and Duncan and she would still look angry in many panels - and sadly she would still strike the "I am soooo scared" pose, but with toned down dialogues I think one could rescue her.

For example she could be angry that everyone is saying the Sorceress is dead instead of looking for her "as she's clearly still alive", she could say she always felt "the Sorceress was hiding something" from her instead of saying she didn't care for her, she could have more light-hearted banter with Adam that makes her hitting him seem less violent, one could change her misguided Mekanek jokes to something completely different and have her not constantly uttering "kill, kill, kill" - all that could help the story (which I generally like).

In general I like Teela being a little rough around the edges, but I think they overdid it now. I mean I still think her stripping in front of everyone informs her "I don't care what everyone thinks" attitude way better than her rudeness and violent tendencies...

*) basically creating bubble stickers with new dialogue...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post

And there are lots of other strikes, too - lots and lots and lots. A whole 50,000 word Masters (excuse the pun) thesis full.

I'm entirely with you, Barezz - and with Jibernish and all the others who just want to see some quality in their MotU. It's all just so ineffably silly and poorly-executed.

We were promised dark, intriguing, brooding and adult. And what do we get....? This - and heading rapidly for the terminus buffers with a DCU crossover.

As Monty Python would have put it; "Stop this; it's getting silly..."

I agree Teela is one annoying heffer in this comic. Has she always been such a *****!!! I kind of felt the same way about her in her 200x incarnation. I get that she is a rebel and speaks her mind, but they need to work on making her more likable. It's no wonder He-man doesn't have any interest in her. I hate her oversexed outfit, doesn't go with her personality or status.

Heroic Warrior
    Teela in my eyes needs to be the product of her farthers tech savvy/ dutyful/ disaplined/ loyal / respectful manner, with a streak of red head,....not a *****y teen who wants to kill evey thing in sight,
    You could almost liken her to princes Leia, just much tougher, like a Nightwing ,Leia mix

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    And there are lots of other strikes, too - lots and lots and lots. A whole 50,000 word Masters (excuse the pun) thesis full.

I'm entirely with you, Barezz - and with Jibernish and all the others who just want to see some quality in their MotU. It's all just so ineffably silly and poorly-executed.

We were promised dark, intriguing, brooding and adult. And what do we get....? This - and heading rapidly for the terminus buffers with a DCU crossover.

As Monty Python would have put it; "Stop this; it's getting silly..."
    And for the record, I like dark and brooding and adult. But this Teela isn't adult just because it deals with sex. It deals with it in a juvenile way. I'd say it's like a 15 year old wrote it. Or maybe Stiffler.
    Last edited by jibernish; May 19, 2013 at 07:11am.

I still like it... a new story, new character traits and angles so that's cool. As I have always stated, my MOTU was the first four mini comics from 82. Filmation changed that story into a Prince Adam / Orko centered universe. MYP changed it a lil more... now this new era... all is OK with me because at the end of the day MOTU will always be Alcala Art and those original stories, and the stories I made up as a lil kid with my figures. So I welcome this Despara Universe... it's cool and unexpected; I like that.
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

There's a new review up on Nerditis

http://nerditis.com/2013/05/19/dc-co...se-1-2-review/

I didn't write it, but guess what? It comes to the SAME CONCLUSION. Note:

There is one other subject I would like to go over. The Master of the Universe franchise does not have a lot of female characters. This series has managed to do a huge injustice to all of them right from the start. The Sorceress is dead. She-Ra is now evil. Teela is supposed to be ‘tough’ and ‘strong’ but she just comes off as kind of a snotty brat. It’s like they took a list of everything you can do wrong in terms of sexism and marginalizing women and they are just throwing as much in as they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    There's a new review up on Nerditis

http://nerditis.com/2013/05/19/dc-co...se-1-2-review/

I didn't write it, but guess what? It comes to the SAME CONCLUSION. Note:
    That review had something else notable about it...

So there are a number of things wrong with this comic book so far. The most glaring is that it was written for a very limited audience. This was not written for He-Man fans. This was not written for new readers. This was not written for kids. This series is written for anyone who read the mini series from last year and no on else. It does nothing to establish these characters, the world they live in, or why we should care that the world is being invaded. And that is the biggest crime committed here, after reading two issues I still don’t care. Its like writer Keith Giffen is not even trying and I don’t blame him. This comic book is just another symptom of a greater problem at DC comics. In their attempt to catch up with Marvel’s recent mainstream success they have added a whole “post production” phase to the creation of comics and taken upper management corporate interference to new levels if what has been leaking out is to be believed. He-Man and the Masters of the Universe are just a casualty of that. I may not be a big MOTU fan but even I know they deserve better than this.
    Heck, the world was already screwed up by Skeletor before it ever was established.