Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: (New 52) Teela Unappreciation thread (some spoilers)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    T
    Heck, the world was already screwed up by Skeletor before it ever was established.
    So all the problems at DC and Mattel which cause this dire kind of vision to emerge from the pit are all down to Skeletor, are they? Cripes! No wonder things are bad! And there was me thinking ordinary human error could be to blame for the fiasco. But it was ol' bonefeatures all the time! Well, well...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    And for the record, I like dark and brooding and adult. But this Teela isn't adult just because it deals with sex. It deals with it in a juvenile way. I'd say it's like a 15 year old wrote it. Or maybe Stiffler.
    Yup; me too - I was hoping for that - something akin to the MVCs of ten years back - which I thought great - especially the 'Shard.'

But we get this dross instead - and, as you say, it reads like it came from the esteemed pens of Beevis and Butthead, such is the level of maturity on display. And - surely - even Stiffler would make a better job of it than this, wouldn't he?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    I agree Teela is one annoying heffer in this comic. Has she always been such a *****!!! I kind of felt the same way about her in her 200x incarnation. I get that she is a rebel and speaks her mind, but they need to work on making her more likable. It's no wonder He-man doesn't have any interest in her. I hate her oversexed outfit, doesn't go with her personality or status.
    Exactly so. And heffer is a dam' fine word - but wasted on this tantrum-stricken and unlikeable Teela.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zombihamma-AI View Post
    Teela in my eyes needs to be the product of her farthers tech savvy/ dutyful/ disaplined/ loyal / respectful manner, with a streak of red head,....not a *****y teen who wants to kill evey thing in sight,
    You could almost liken her to princes Leia, just much tougher, like a Nightwing ,Leia mix
    Agreed; that would work for me - and, I guess, a lot of others, too. And anything has to be better than this inept characterization. If we're being set up (very, very clumsily) for her to become the next Sorceress, then it's already a lost cause. As lame as making Orko the big-bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    There's a new review up on Nerditis

http://nerditis.com/2013/05/19/dc-co...se-1-2-review/

I didn't write it, but guess what? It comes to the SAME CONCLUSION. Note:

Personally, I see nothing to take issue with in this review; and, tellingly,it comes from a non-MotU-adherent reviewer. His point about to whom this comic series is meant to appeal (or actually does) seems a very valid and sensible one to me. That and the poverty of the writing and creative talent on display. I agree completely.
    There are very few reviews of Ongoing #2 out there - perhaps significantly few - so I'm glad to have seen this one from a relatively neutral source. Many thanks for posting it.

Though it's not as sharp as Wolfy's!
    Last edited by Scriptor; May 19, 2013 at 10:19pm.

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    If nothing else she does look pretty hot.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by lorde trooper View Post
    If nothing else she does look pretty hot.
    Sure - I don't deny it at all. But is it Teela? Should it be meant to be Teela?

And - isn't it the real problem that she is indeed, blatant sexuality apart - "nothing else"...?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post

And - isn't it the real problem that she is indeed, blatant sexuality apart - "nothing else"...?
    That's what the writer is supposed to address. Add great layers to these characters and the world that they live in, so that we don't question her attire.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

If DC and Mattel insist on having a TnA factor here, I wish they'd create a new character to play strip-tease with. No need to change Teela.

Although I hated it at first, I'm kinda glad they killed off The Sorceress. She's my favorite character in they mythos and I would hate seeing what Griffen and co. would do to her. I've read of how they made her funeral into a mockery, but I doubt they'll come back and demean her further. So she's safe in the grave. I never really gravitated towards Teela, and I'm still pretty upset. If they did that to The Sorceress.... I think I'd draw up my own comic and call some creatives out.

Heroic Warrior
    Another review of Ongoing series #2:

http://bwmedia.wordpress.com/2013/05...erse-series-2/

To quote a part of it:

But the real crime here is Teela. Still assuming Giffen’s going with the re-imagined cartoon as his base, she could be mouthy and a bit snarky but this is too much. She’s still mad about Adam’s jokes about her hair color change and won’t stop arguing with him about it and his unwillingness to kill people. Later she complains that Mekaneck is there because his only alleged skill is his long neck. Teela was never this big a #$@$ in any continuity, not even the re-imagining.

And I just realized: Adora, Teela, the Sorceress, possibly Marlena – Evil-Lyn is the only female character not getting the shaft thus far.

I think he forgot Nolar Blak....

so it seems to me that a lot of people around the comic reading world agree that the main problem with this new MOTU series is Teela's attitude.

Perhaps Griffen needs to address this and quickly
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    so it seems to me that a lot of people around the comic reading world agree that the main problem with this new MOTU series is Teela's attitude.

Perhaps Griffen needs to address this and quickly
    Trouble is that he's committed the cardinal sin of any writer and fallen in love with his own creation. He keeps telling everybody so in those embarrassing interviews he's so fond of doing.

The next issue is the 'Tale of Teela' (Sorry; The tedious tale of Tantrum Teela and her Tourettes) so stay tuned for more of the same. Much more.

He seems to have forgotten somewhere along the way that it's meant to be Adora/Despera in need of redemption, not Teela.

You said it yourself - as did others; even if he does reform her character now and turn her into the Sorceress - who will believe it - or even care?

Bad, bad writing - and terrible characterization. If he tried to pull this stunt in the world of book publishing he wouldn't get past the first editorial proofs; trust me on this.
    Last edited by Scriptor; May 22, 2013 at 06:37pm.

Teela´s attitude breaks down to one word: "kill!"
    I hate it. But hey, that´s Giffen. He´s not happy if he cannot kill characters.

Of course I don´t know him. How could I? But I know he invented Lobo. DC should make him stop writing anything else but Lobo, before his attitude alienates the whole customer base.
    Positivity, folks!
    Let´s all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

You seriously draw that conclusion, based on a character that's rooted in satire?!?
    I strongly dislike Teela's portrayal in the comic series. But claiming that Lobo shows that Giffen isn't happy if he can't kill characters is bold, to say the least. I doubt that anybody who really has read his works throughout the years would draw the same conclusions.
    Last edited by Sir Reilly; May 23, 2013 at 06:20am.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

I am so tired of the Mek-a-neck joke too. It was awesome 10 years ago when MYP did it.

I'm already tired of her over the top toughness. Also enough of He-man deferring to her and not just kicking butt, he seems to be standing around a lot.
    "Problems Weaver?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    You seriously draw that conclusion, based on a character that's rooted in satire?!?
    Nope. I´m basing it on the fact that he INVENTED this character that´s rooted in satire. Especially when reading that he dislikes Batman (or writing Batman), because they wouldn´t let him kill anyone.
    As I said, I don´t know much about Giffen. But all I see of his work is based on killing characters. Dislike.
    Positivity, folks!

In that interview he said,
    "Anything goes. Do whatever you want." And I said, "Well, call them back and remind them that it's me."
    and
    "can i kill masters characters?"
    Good that Mattel said no.
    But that is enough to show that his name ties into death and violence. Plain stupid violence for no reason but to show violence. So sad. And all that to the Anniversary of He-Man... what a great celebration, death and violence ... yay ...

Quote Originally Posted by MAXX View Post
    But that is enough to show that his name ties into death and violence.
    Sorry, how much of Giffen's work did you read again? You're quick to draw conclusions about someone else, so I'd like to know.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

I very much hope it is not as much as you read. Think whatever you want of me, i know it isn't much. He wrote that himself and shows how he wants to work on the books. I am not a fan of what he wrote for masters so far, and the interviews don't help convince me otherwise for future issues.

...what MAXX says.
    Positivity, folks!

I'm happy to see Teela back to being a red head, as that is how I've always seen her. But the down right mean *****iness is not Teela, the writer(s) have taken it to far. I've considered dropping the comic because of it. After Evil-Lyn (who's redesign I hate), Teela is my favorite MOTU character. It just drives me nuts what they've done to her personality.

I'm also not a fan of having the Sorceress killed off, I'd like her brought back.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    I'm happy to see Teela back to being a red head, as that is how I've always seen her. But the down right mean *****iness is not Teela, the writer(s) have taken it to far. I've considered dropping the comic because of it. After Evil-Lyn (who's redesign I hate), Teela is my favorite MOTU character. It just drives me nuts what they've done to her personality.

I'm also not a fan of having the Sorceress killed off, I'd like her brought back.
    I also hate the Evil-lyn redesign. And I don't like that the Sorceress was killed either. But honestly, I'd rather her rest in peace in this comic series than let the creators/producers working on it turn her into something like this version of Teela, or have her sleeping with every used Attack-trak salesman who stops by Grayskull.

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    Ive read the first 2 issues and really like them, the part with the boys at the start of issue 1 was a bit much, i get death in war and so on and get that this could/would happen if this were real but not really needed.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXX View Post
    I very much hope it is not as much as you read. Think whatever you want of me, i know it isn't much. He wrote that himself and shows how he wants to work on the books. I am not a fan of what he wrote for masters so far, and the interviews don't help convince me otherwise for future issues.
    I usually associate him with taking serious superhero comics, and make them very, very silly. When someone gives him a property like this and says "Do whatever you want' and his response is 'Remind them this is ME..." THAT's where my mind immediately goes.

His justice league stuff is REMARKABLY silly in ways that make Filmation look like Game of Thrones... I'm sure he has a lot of stuff out there that I have NOT read, but 'Death and Violence' is not the first thing I think of when I hear his name. Regardless I can see him joking about someone giving him free reign to do 'wahtever you want'

Heroic Warrior
    Well - now that issue #3 of the Ongoing Series is out and doing what it does (just don't blame me...!) I think that we shall definitely have need of this forum again....

Once again Teela is centre stage. Never mind. We just have to accept it on the grounds that it will pass - like wet weekends.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Well - now that issue #3 of the Ongoing Series is out and doing what it does (just don't blame me...!) I think that we shall definitely have need of this forum again....

Once again Teela is centre stage. Never mind. We just have to accept it on the grounds that it will pass - like wet weekends.
    LOL! Poor

Stinkor...even HE gets disrespected by New 52 Teela

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    LOL! Poor
    Oh - now that really IS stooping low - even for her!

Poor indeed.....

If your complaints about Teela can be rephrased as:

"Teela insulted a man! I hope she dies! Women should never disrespect men!"

or:

"How DARE Teela dress in a provocative way! Women need dress codes!"

Then something is wrong, and it's not with the comic.