Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 108

Thread: The Fighting Foe Men - now SOLD OUT!

  1. #51
    Heroic Warrior Lentzquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    261
    BBTS finally set a price for these guys at $99. I guess they were waiting to see how they'd fare on DOS day.

  2. #52
    I Love Filmation Variants TUC138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Lentzquest View Post
    BBTS finally set a price for these guys at $99. I guess they were waiting to see how they'd fare on DOS day.

    $40.00 to $50.00 "clearance" sale is not too far away !!
    THE BIGGEST, BADDEST SUPPORTER OF VARIANTS IN MOTUC..... JUST BEHIND MGM THAT IS !!

    MOTUC Mini Comics, Sub Exclusive Maps & Castle Grayskull Exclusive Posters FOR SALE !

  3. #53
    Heroic Warrior sirsniffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jersey City, NJ
    Posts
    1,284
    There's no WAY the Fighting Fail Men are almost gone...I think this is all part of a marketing ploy.

    As Whitney Houston would say...I wanna see the receipts!

  4. #54
    HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    Posts
    4,190
    If only this thread title were truly accurate.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

  5. #55
    Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    I don't know but sometimes it seems to me that some people here want the line to fail. I think the FFM are awesome (way cooler than any NA character) and I'm looking forward to receiving my two sets today. Yes they are expensive but to me personally they are well worth the money (as opposed to the SS). I get a feeling of nostalgia because of their connection to the vintage vehicles.
    Some posts here and in the other thread about this month's sale make it sound as if it were a personal triumph for us if these don't sell well. The opposite is true, if these fail that's one more step to a sub-only model and to the end of the line.
    I sort of disagree with that last line. I don't think this set specifically will push things any more towards a sub only model than things are already going anyway regardless of the FFM.

    While I'm not 'super' excited about this set, myself, I do particularly like the blue skinned guy in the hood, and I do appreciate the nods to the vintage vehicles, so in that sense, this set is kind of cool to me, and I am looking more forward to it than the Star Sisters. So I kind of agree with you there.

    I think the reason so many people seem to be rooting against it is to send a message to Mattel not to keep making expensive 3 packs like this.... particularly of obscure characters.

    Part of what is frustrating about this is that if Scott and anyone else involved with this line were really paying attention last year when the Star Sisters came out, they would have seen just how unpopular that set really was. Yeah, the day of stock sold out quickly, and by their skewed standards it was a "success," with them even at one point using it as a basis for comparison to the lackluster Wind Raider sales (which was silly since most of the Star Sister sets were sold through subs).

    But if they had been paying attention, they would have seen many of those sets being put up on ebay and either not selling at all, or being sold at prices MUCH lower than what the people initially paid for them. They would have seen Big Bad Toy Store being unable to move their stock, etc. And all of this within the first couple/few months of 2012.... many months before the 2013 subs went on sale, let alone before the FFM actually went into mass production.

    While I know that they generally have to plan things out well in advance and can't make changes at the last minute, and they were trying to stick to the "road map" before making changes for what 2014 will be, they should have seen the writing on the wall here well in advance to be able to make changes to releasing this particular 3-pack.

    After one expensive set of 3 obscure characters didn't go over to well, it should have been a no brainer that an even more expensive set (thanks to the price increases) of even more obscure characters based on vague artwork from some licensed out model kits wasn't going to fair much better... possibly worse.

    While probably not the only reason, I'm sure this 3-pack was a big reason why the sub sales dropped as much as they did for 2013.

    The reason why some people are rooting against this set is to send a message to Mattel not to keep making sets like this. And I can't blame them. Even though I do like certain things about the FFM set as I mentioned earlier, it's still by no means a "must have" item that I would have been upset over had it never been produced.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    I love how it isn't just conspiracy theories, but it's all taken as total absolute fact. "The Fighting Foe-Men are selling out? MUST BE A CONSPIRACY!"
    The FFM may genuinely be close to selling out, but if they are, it's likely because there wasn't that much day of stock to begin with.

    And there have been previous cases of items being listed as "almost gone" and then "sold out," only for it later to come to light that Mattel was sitting on A LOT of left over stock of that item.... way more than what they just would have held back for potential customer service replacements.

    Specifically, there was an instance a couple of years or so back where during a sale on Matty of older "left over" items (I think it was maybe around black friday or cyber monday), there briefly was a glitch on the site that revealed how many of each item they had in stock. Gygor, who had previously been released as a non sub item and had supposedly "sold out", had an ASTRONOMICAL amount of stock. There were others as well that had quite a bit, but I recall Gygor being one of the most extreme examples.

    So, not all "sell outs" have truly, genuinely sold out.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; May 16, 2013 at 11:04am.
    ____________________________________________

    Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

  6. #56
    I Love Filmation Variants TUC138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,467
    ^ this !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Qft !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THE BIGGEST, BADDEST SUPPORTER OF VARIANTS IN MOTUC..... JUST BEHIND MGM THAT IS !!

    MOTUC Mini Comics, Sub Exclusive Maps & Castle Grayskull Exclusive Posters FOR SALE !

  7. #57
    Heroic Hero Grayskull's Heir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Castle Grayskull
    Posts
    2,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I sort of disagree with that last line. I don't think this set specifically will push things any more towards a sub only model than things are already going anyway regardless of the FFM.

    While I'm not 'super' excited about this set, myself, I do particularly like the blue skinned guy in the hood, and I do appreciate the nods to the vintage vehicles, so in that sense, this set is kind of cool to me, and I am looking more forward to it than the Star Sisters. So I kind of agree with you there.

    I think the reason so many people seem to be rooting against it is to send a message to Mattel not to keep making expensive 3 packs like this.... particularly of obscure characters.

    Part of what is frustrating about this is that if Scott and anyone else involved with this line were really paying attention last year when the Star Sisters came out, they would have seen just how unpopular that set really was. Yeah, the day of stock sold out quickly, and by their skewed standards it was a "success," with them even at one point using it as a basis for comparison to the lackluster Wind Raider sales (which was silly since most of the Star Sister sets were sold through subs).

    But if they had been paying attention, they would have seen many of those sets being put up on ebay and either not selling at all, or being sold at prices MUCH lower than what the people initially paid for them. They would have seen Big Bad Toy Store being unable to move their stock, etc. And all of this within the first couple/few months of 2012.... many months before the 2013 subs went on sale, let alone before the FFM actually went into mass production.

    While I know that they generally have to plan things out well in advance and can't make changes at the last minute, and they were trying to stick to the "road map" before making changes for what 2014 will be, they should have seen the writing on the wall here well in advance to be able to make changes to releasing this particular 3-pack.

    After one expensive set of 3 obscure characters didn't go over to well, it should have been a no brainer that an even more expensive set (thanks to the price increases) of even more obscure characters based on vague artwork from some licensed out model kits wasn't going to fair much better... possibly worse.

    While probably not the only reason, I'm sure this 3-pack was a big reason why the sub sales dropped as much as they did for 2013.

    The reason why some people are rooting against this set is to send a message to Mattel not to keep making sets like this. And I can't blame them. Even though I do like certain things about the FFM set as I mentioned earlier, it's still by no means a "must have" item that I would have been upset over had it never been produced.
    I agree 100% with you here and I can also see where the people who complain are coming from. However, I don't see the point of complaining in this case. Scott has made it very clear that there will be no more 3-paks after the FFM. He even said that there were no more 3-paks planned on the original road map. The fact that the Rock Warriors are a 2-pak without Granita (which funnily enough made people complain that it is not a 3-pak ) kinda proves that he was not lying when he told us there would be no more 3-paks. Moreover, he has made it clear on countless occasions that 2014 and 2015 would consist of the remaining heavy hitters and fan favourites. No more obscure concept stuff.
    So, to sum up, absolutely everything that people are trying to make a point about has already been addressed / solved. So what is the point of all that triumphant "Ha! the FFM don't sell well! That'll show'em!" talk?

    It's really as if somebody suddenly started a threat saying "Why doesn't Mattel put the figures in white mailer boxes?" or "Why doesn't Mattel offer trackable shipping for international customers?".
    Awesome sticker included!

  8. #58
    Heroic Warrior Stygian360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    I agree 100% with you here and I can also see where the people who complain are coming from. However, I don't see the point of complaining in this case. Scott has made it very clear that there will be no more 3-paks after the FFM. He even said that there were no more 3-paks planned on the original road map. The fact that the Rock Warriors are a 2-pak without Granita (which funnily enough made people complain that it is not a 3-pak ) kinda proves that he was not lying when he told us there would be no more 3-paks.
    This raises an interesting point---^. Perhaps what should be said isn't that 3-packs don't work (because depending on the timing, etc., they sometimes do), it's that they don't work when they are characters people don't want in a 3-pack! Your point proves that people are willing to pay $75-80 (or more) for a 3-pack of characters like, say, the Rock People or even Horde Troopers, if they are in demand characters and make sense as part of a 3-pack. Admittedly SOME fans clamored for the FFF when everything was hypothetical and it was throw character choices at a wall and see what sticks- wish lists everywhere and so on- but when the reality hit that we were not only getting them but they'd be a 3-pack AND they'd be $75 at one shot... all of a sudden that line of collectors who wanted them so badly thinned to almost nobody. Anyway, point is, make in demand characters in a 2 or 3 pack (as is being proven with the Rock People) and they will come.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

  9. #59
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    18,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    I agree 100% with you here and I can also see where the people who complain are coming from. However, I don't see the point of complaining in this case. Scott has made it very clear that there will be no more 3-paks after the FFM. He even said that there were no more 3-paks planned on the original road map. The fact that the Rock Warriors are a 2-pak without Granita (which funnily enough made people complain that it is not a 3-pak ) kinda proves that he was not lying when he told us there would be no more 3-paks. Moreover, he has made it clear on countless occasions that 2014 and 2015 would consist of the remaining heavy hitters and fan favourites. No more obscure concept stuff.
    So, to sum up, absolutely everything that people are trying to make a point about has already been addressed / solved. So what is the point of all that triumphant "Ha! the FFM don't sell well! That'll show'em!" talk?

    It's really as if somebody suddenly started a threat saying "Why doesn't Mattel put the figures in white mailer boxes?" or "Why doesn't Mattel offer trackable shipping for international customers?".
    Understood, but Scott has said a LOT of things about the line and then changed his tune afterwards because he was back in a comfortable position. Most of us fans don't want the line to fail, but we also don't want to be forced into buying products just to keep it alive. NA has it's fans but they are not numerous enough to support the line. someone like me who didn't really get into NA couldn't care less if they were included in the line (from a personal standpoint) but I don't mind some of the figures we have. If Karrati was offered in the same month as Mantenna, it wouldn't be so bad, two villains, one that I REALLY want and it's not an expensive month. but to be locked into paying about $150 (incl shipping and duty) for four figures I don't care about having in one month, that is a major sting and it drives home a harsh reality about subbing.

    Again I KIND OF LIKE the FFM, but after the map fiasco I had to make my own stand. DR IS gouging us international subscribers, or at least they are gouging Canadians, because there is NO way shipping rates go up that much per figure added. Shipping has never worked that way. I don't want the line to end, but I want Scott and Mattel to realize they are not doing right by the fans, don't sweet talk us when it's time to sub, don't punish those who can't sub and don't punish those who do.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  10. #60
    Heroic Hero Grayskull's Heir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Castle Grayskull
    Posts
    2,635
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Understood, but Scott has said a LOT of things about the line and then changed his tune afterwards because he was back in a comfortable position. Most of us fans don't want the line to fail, but we also don't want to be forced into buying products just to keep it alive. NA has it's fans but they are not numerous enough to support the line. someone like me who didn't really get into NA couldn't care less if they were included in the line (from a personal standpoint) but I don't mind some of the figures we have. If Karrati was offered in the same month as Mantenna, it wouldn't be so bad, two villains, one that I REALLY want and it's not an expensive month. but to be locked into paying about $150 (incl shipping and duty) for four figures I don't care about having in one month, that is a major sting and it drives home a harsh reality about subbing.

    Again I KIND OF LIKE the FFM, but after the map fiasco I had to make my own stand. DR IS gouging us international subscribers, or at least they are gouging Canadians, because there is NO way shipping rates go up that much per figure added. Shipping has never worked that way. I don't want the line to end, but I want Scott and Mattel to realize they are not doing right by the fans, don't sweet talk us when it's time to sub, don't punish those who can't sub and don't punish those who do.
    I agree these are some valid points!
    Awesome sticker included!

  11. #61
    Heroic Warrior Ridureyu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,905
    Just saying, the burden of proof is not on the people claiming that the FFM are nearly out of the stock allocated for yesterday's sale, but the burden of proof is on the people claiming that it's some sort of grand secret squirrel conspiracy.

  12. #62
    Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    This raises an interesting point---^. Perhaps what should be said isn't that 3-packs don't work (because depending on the timing, etc., they sometimes do), it's that they don't work when they are characters people don't want in a 3-pack! Your point proves that people are willing to pay $75-80 (or more) for a 3-pack of characters like, say, the Rock People or even Horde Troopers, if they are in demand characters and make sense as part of a 3-pack.
    I agree that 3 packs could work if they were made up of figures that people actually want. I don't think there would be as much of a backlash against them if that were the case.

    The cost is still a bit to swallow. One thing that gets me is the (IMO) pointlessly rigid categorization of the items released in the subs. There are 12 "standard monthly figures" and 4 quarterly "bonus items." The 12 figures have to be "monthly" (with the exception of production delays that can't be helped), and so long as Mattel has the control over it, they won't reschedule those for anything. So what this means is that they release a 3 pack like the FFM at the same time as a separate figure like Karatti.... then the following month they will release a single, individual figure. The popularity (or lack there of) of these characters aside, why can't they release just the 3-pack by itself so it's less of a hit, and then release 2 standard figures a month later?

    Granted if they were to change to quarterly shipping as was voted on a little while back (which I would be okay with as it would save on shipping), more would get charged all at once on the occasions when things ship, but for now, under the current system where we are getting something pretty much every month (again with the exception of production delays), they could do more to even the monthly "hit" to the wallet a bit more by taking a common sense approach like this.
    ____________________________________________

    Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

  13. #63
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    18,014
    I believe there is a set number that once stock hits that number the website changes the status to almost gone. with admittedly lower DoS production PLUS them opening up the subs (strategically JUST before the release of the FFM) I can believe they hit that number.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  14. #64
    Fun-action features! gofigure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    389
    Need to change to "Sold Out". or "will show up next in Mad Matty sale"
    yeaaaahh ..... but then that happened...

    THESE TRADERS HAVE THE POWER !!! - Thanks guys!

  15. #65
    Totally Dyslexic Niki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    2,853
    Quote Originally Posted by gofigure View Post
    Need to change to "Sold Out".
    I think that´s great news!
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither


  16. #66
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,551
    The Fighting Foe Men are gone...SOLD OUT!

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  17. #67
    HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    Posts
    4,190
    All 20 DoS sets are gone! Thanks for coming out, everybody!
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

  18. #68
    Heroic Warrior ManKindRam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    410
    I just got mine and I can honestly say i LOVE them. I wish Ditztroyer had on some armor instead of a painted Orange Chest. But oh well I still love them! If they weren't so much money I would have ordered another set to have extra bodies here for making more MOTU figures for my background characters.

  19. #69
    N7 Horde Operative hadley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    7,452
    Guys, is it THAT hard to believe that you may be in the minority here and people like the FFM? What would be so wrong with that?

  20. #70
    Council Elder Tallstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In support of Joe Amato & the Meteorbs
    Posts
    27,868
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The Fighting Foe Men are gone...SOLD OUT!
    The FFM and Star Sisters stay winning and are serving up 'A-List character level sales' realness.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

  21. #71
    Punish-Or jerec350's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    Posts
    1,575
    I broke them up and put my extra 2 sets on ebay. Both of my Shield Maiden Sherrilynns went for a little over $25 and 1 of my Ditztroyers went for $25. Both of my Karattis, Dawg-O-Tors, and my other Ditztroyer are sitting as unsold. Not much love for these guys it seems like. I think the figures look pretty cool but I have to say I could've been fine without them. Don't really care about Karatti either but I'm a complete-ist so they'll go on my shelf anyway.
    View my collection and customs HERE!

  22. #72
    HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    Posts
    4,190
    Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    Guys, is it THAT hard to believe that you may be in the minority here and people like the FFM? What would be so wrong with that?
    It's approximately as hard for us to to believe as it is for others to believe that they are not popular, the DoS numbers are really low, and that we will be seeing a lot of them from the Mad Matty sales.

    We don't know either for sure. If they don't show up again, maybe you are right and the "vocal minority" has struck again. Or maybe they DoS numbers were really low. Maybe they will show up again-deeply discounted-and that proves they weren't as popular as some would claim they are.

    What we DO know is that eBay has been flooded with FFM sets with BiN's lower (some up to 33% lower) than retail. If they were popular, people would be snapping them up at those prices.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

  23. #73
    Heroic Warrior Lich Leech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lake of Gnarl
    Posts
    1,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    It's approximately as hard for us to to believe as it is for others to believe that they are not popular, the DoS numbers are really low, and that we will be seeing a lot of them from the Mad Matty sales.

    We don't know either for sure. If they don't show up again, maybe you are right and the "vocal minority" has struck again. Or maybe they DoS numbers were really low. Maybe they will show up again-deeply discounted-and that proves they weren't as popular as some would claim they are.

    What we DO know is that eBay has been flooded with FFM sets with BiN's lower (some up to 33% lower) than retail. If they were popular, people would be snapping them up at those prices.
    I doubt they're super popular, but I think they look pretty good (not the same thing, of course) but could use more shading. Good overall designs.

    I'd guess that in the end these will have a similar popularity to figures like Demo Man & Vikor. Pretty cool looking, not essentials, not hated. No inflated prices like the core characters.
    By the ancients!!!


    Lich Leech feedback thread

  24. #74
    The power has returned MOTUfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    **** Rapids, Minnesota
    Posts
    8,755
    Since we arent getting anymore three packs, maybe they would offer a two pack, figure/beast set as the club exclusive. I would love for an Illumina and her cat 2 pack, that would be an awesome club incentive and I bet they would get higher numbers than the previous years for orders.
    Petition for IDW to revive Marvel's Transformers: http://www.petitiononline.com/tf81idw/petition.html
    Marvel's Transformers IDW revival Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TF81fromIDW?sk=wall
    Marvel comics #81 is a reality through IDW and us fans its being created.....

  25. #75
    Heroic Warrior wayne-klops's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Fishers, Indiana
    Posts
    2,327
    I'm happy to see Matty's day-of stock of the Fighting Foe Men sell out so quickly. I'm aware that the stock was likely not very high.

    What saddens me, thuogh, is that Karatti is still out there with no "almost gone" in sight. He looks awesome and I really want more NA representation in Classics, and I fear this may be a bad indication of the fan base's interest in NA characters. I know that Netossa took a couple of days to sell out, too, though, so there's hope that Karatti won't last too much longer. I just don't want the Powers That Be decide to really back out of future NA figures.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •