Thread: D. i. c. k Tracy (1990) and The Rocketeer

Heroic Warrior

D. i. c. k Tracy (1990) and The Rocketeer

Who remembers these 2 underrated Disney produced comic adaptations? i saw both movies in theaters 4 times when i was 9 and 10 and i loved them. I had DT/Rocketeer trading cards, magazines, t-shirts, some toys, posters and all that as as a kid.

Paul Sorvino was in both movies and he was terrific in them especially as Lips Manlis. Both movies had a nice cast like Warren Beatty, Billy Campbell, Dustin Hoffman, Alan Arkin, Timothy Daltin, Al Pacino (he was hilarious as Big Boy Caprice), Ed Lauter, Mandy Patakin, Terry O'Quinn, Jennifer Connelly, Madonna, William Forsyate, Charles During, R.G Armstrong and so many others.

Who thinks DT was like the Sin City of it's time and Rocketeer was the Iron Man of it's day?

I also gotta say that Jennifer Connelly was a major league hottie as Jenny in Rocketeer no doubt as she helped me go through manhood, hell Madonna never looked hotter than in DT as Breathless Mahoney and in that scene where she stepped out in that black nightgown, holy crap! also ushered me to manhood, lol.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

They were really good - and both heavily-stylized in their own ways, though Rocketeer played it straight a little more. I think what hurt Rocketeer was how much, despite seeming like a period adventure piece, it stuck to superhero formula. That, and the big frankenstein guy died. He should've lived. he was awesome!

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I do and they are terrible movies. I never liked The Rocketeer to begin with (too boring), but I enjoyed Tracy until I grew up and realized what a giant turd it was.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Heroic Warrior
    Of the two of them, I liked Rocketeer a LOT better. Tracy was good, and it was a pretty big deal that year I went to Florida. Either MGM studios or Universal was pushing it HARD... So I have fond memories

Honestly i liked Tracy MUCH better then Sin City. both the style and acting and all around quality was superior... But Rocketeer?? I don't see how it was anywhere NEAR the juggernaut that Iron Man was.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I really don't see any comparison between Sin city and Tracy, but if there was, Sin City is vastly superior just because it is a good movie.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I really don't see any comparison between Sin city and Tracy, but if there was, Sin City is vastly superior just because it is a good movie.
    They both had a visual style that REALLY focused on it's 'original' comic roots. Sin City looked like it was lifted RIGHT from Frank Miller's artwork. (honestly the only thing I actually liked about the show...) Tracy also had the same kind of thing going for it, and they both ahve have a dirty crime soaked city feel to them.

it's not a GREAT comparison, but it's got a few similarities to it, and I have a hard time thinking of two other comic movies that could compare with them...

darkman maybe?

But no... I absolutely hated Sin City more than any other movie I've seen since (though the new Evil Dead comes close... and maybe 'The Collector'). Any movie where someone gets castrated by hand.... is too much violence for ME in a movie. With that show the castration was just the icing on the cake.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I absolutely love Dk. Tracy; it's one of my favorite movies. I love the classic comic strip (I was so thrilled when they started anthologizing it; I have everything through the early '50s now), and the colors, makeup, costumes, music and sets are eye candy. It's so wonderfully over-the-top, and incredibly fun and light-hearted. It's one of my go-to movies on a bad day.

Rocketeer I liked a lot, but wasn't in love with. I did like the stylized art-deco nature of it. I actually have the blu-ray on my Amazon wish list to pick up, eventually.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Heroic Warrior
    **** Tracy was good but the Rocketeer was much better.

Tracy was crap... The Rocketeer RULES!!!

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I wasn't really impressed by either when they came out. Lot of hype and I felt let down. I'd probably appreciate them more if I watched them now.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Heroic Warrior
    Rocketeer was great! My son was a huge fan when he was 3 and 4 years old. He wanted everything Rocketeer and that was only 8 years ago.
    The best line in Rocketeer is when Paul Sorvino says, "I might not make an honest buck, but I am an American through and through."