Thread: Star Trek Into Darkness

Hybrid View

Star Trek Into Darkness

No thread about this? I searched and searched. A bit surprised.

First of all, let me say I really enjoyed the movie. But it does have issues.

First of all, it's great to see the crew back together. Unfortunately, this is an all-to-brief occurrence because the plot demands for some of them to break off again. It does make me sad we can't follow this crew week to week in a show, because all around they are fantastic and really do such a great job of inhabiting their roles.

I enjoyed Cumberbatch a ton, playing

the not-a-surprise-really-at-all Khan. He's perfect for the role, and an excellent villain. But, stripped of his history with Kirk, the battle between he and Kirk doesn't resonate as much in the shadow of Wrath. The death of Pike is sad, though almost inevitable in a way, I suppose. And that's good motivation for Kirk. But once that gets sidetracked and Khan and Kirk must team up (which I found very fun, btw) then they switch things around so that it's TWOK but Kirk and Spock reversed.

This is the least successful element of the movie, to me. Even some of the lines are the same. And it pulled me out of the movie. Some people were laughing a bit. It was just an un-needed thing, to me. I like this Kirk and Spock, but they aren't the original Kirk and Spock. This scene cannot hope to have the gravitas of the original, so why did they put themselves in this position? Especially when we could all figure the way out of it so easily?

The Vengeance is a cool nemesis for the crew. And the battle is pretty good, if short. It was great to see Nimoy again, though I found that scene to be a bit silly, too. "Hey, Old Spock - how do we get out of this jam? And can you explain why Khan is bad?" It felt like such a narrative short cut. And again, sort of pulled me out of the movie a bit.

All that being said. I loved Uhura in this. Loved the action set pieces. Loved the main villain. Loved Scotty. Loved Sulu's moment. If anyone is sort of poorly served, it's probably Chekov. So even though there were about two moments that broke the spell, and made the whole a bit weaker than the 2009 movie... there was a lot to like here.

If anything, I really want the movies to forge their own path now. That's not to say, given the ending, that I wouldn't mind

a rematch with Khan someday...

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    I really, really enjoyed this movie. Like, a lot. I don't think I could've been happier with it.

I really enjoyed the role reversal during the Wrath of Khan moments. I though that was a nice touch, and even got excited realizing how much of that scene was shot similar and had nearly identical dialogue. In the theater I was in, there was a lot of chatter during this scene. A lot of *gasps* and excitement. So it seems like everyone around me also thought this was a cool scene and a neat way to do this. I even really enjoyed the "Khaaaaaan!" yell coming from Spock. It was all just so much fun!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post

I even really enjoyed the "Khaaaaaan!" yell coming from Spock. It was all just so much fun!
    I did enjoy that a lot. It's funny, I think those scenes will "bother" me less on a second viewing. I guess my thing was that it took me out of the story because I was being hammered home that

it was a recreation of a past event. Still, I do think it was kind of fun. And I did think they mined some good emotion out of it... it's just that the way they set it up if you're a fan of the original films you're going to compare them in your mind. I would rather have had the same stuff happen in a slightly less on-the-nose way. That way I could have just enjoyed the moment without the comparisons flying in the back of my head.

That being said, it was... what, 7 minutes maybe of the movie? It didn't keep me from enjoying it a ton.

This is like Ultimate Star Trek. Same people, different universe. That's the way I look at it.

By the way, I really loved the opening sequence a ton! All of the mentions of the Prime Directive and everything were teriffic!

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I really, really enjoyed this movie. Like, a lot. I don't think I could've been happier with it.

Okay, I may regret asking this, but based on what you said

about recreating Wrath of Khan moments in reverse....do they kill off Kirk instead of Spock???
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    Okay, I may regret asking this, but based on what you said
    Do you really want me to tell you? Don't click the spoiler tab unless you REALLY want to know.

Yes. But there's a bit more to it that that.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Do you really want me to tell you? Don't click the spoiler tab unless you REALLY want to know.
    Hunh. Interesting. I'm very intrigued to see this now, more than I was, actually!
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Ntumbuluku View Post
    I watched the movie tonight and enjoyed it. I have to tell myself that it's Star Trek characters in a non-Star Trek movie to get past the distaste I feel for how different it is from old ST. J.J. Abrams has his moments but I'm actually quite worried about Star Wars now.
    I was just thinking about this for movies in general ..... In movies of the past, you where able to have slow, quiet character moments. Now it's all effects, and fast paced action. gone are the 80's...

As for the movie, I liked it.

Did Kahn actually hit starfleet? All those buildings look alike..sort of like transformers ;o). And did anyone think 'Enterprise B' with the vengance?

- - - Updated - - -

someone on staff probably thought .. ' you know, if we remake kahn next..how are we going to handle spock dying? we destroyed vulcan, no mt seleya....
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

My biggest gripe with Star Trek into Darkness is that THERE ARE NO ACTION FIGURES FOR IT!

Yeah, I know why: because of a dispute between JJ Abrams and CBS. And I also am aware that the Playmates figures for the last movie were terrible. But man, when I watched STiD I was thinking how cool a lot of figures, playsets, and vehicles could be!

Like the new Klingon Bird-of-prey with deploying several Klingon figures by cable. Or the barge with the Spock-Khan-Uhura fight. Or the more rounded Mudd-ship with Kirk, Spock, and Uhura in civilian clothes. Or the shuttlecraft with Sulu, Uhura, and Spock in volcano suit. Or the temple scene with Bones and Kirk running from natives with the scroll (and alien beast). Or the space jump scene with Kirk and Khan. Or Scotty sneaking up on the Vengeance shipyard in Shuttlecraft.

Not to mention some great models on the Enterprise and Vengeance with lights and sounds (and battle damage).

Stupid JJ and CBS, just get over it and make us some cool toys!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Why exactly would CBS not want to make Star Wars like toys to go along with Into Darkness? The movie had more Star Wars-like toy-ready vehicles than any Trek movie yet. I don't doubt that action figures are a question mark in recent years, but these seem like they would have appealed to both young and old fans now. Waiting a few years to try and sell toys based on this (if ever) will only make them old news to younger fans. I am kind of amazed that anyone let the TV Trek rights walk out the door too. For some reason I get the feeling Les Moonves is holding the rights hostage under this chair.

Note: the original Klingon Bird of Prey is my favorite space ship design in the history of ever, so I can't get behind the Klingon shuttles from Into Darkness being dubbed the "new" bird of prey. They look too much like mini versions of that ugly ship from Star Trek Nemesis to me. But I'd love to get the Klingon Battle Cruiser glimpsed in the simulator of the 09 movies (and featured as a mini-model in the Star Trek Expeditions game) with electronic sounds and all.

RE the Star Trek vs Star Wars thing, I don't mind some of the elements of Star Wars making their way over to Trek. But Trek was primarily a nautical adventure with bits of the Western thrown in, and Star Wars more of a swashbuckling romp mixed with WWII movies and generous helpings of pulp, fantasy, and hero cycle mythology. I think you lose strengths of one when you try to turn it to much into the other. Abrams' has been fun, but I honestly think the Trek 2 was a crutch for this movie more than I'd have wanted a first sequel to be. They should look to Peter Weir and get the same mojo he worked on Master and Commander to get the right feel for big screen Trek IMO. A problem will always be that Trek was designed for TV and in movies it has never done as well with the exploration and discovery themes. I just wish it could be a TV show again too. Never will like turning Vulcan into Trek's Alderaan though. Even Lucas created a new planet called Naboo rather than develop a prequel Alderaan into a world you'd actually miss (rightly or wrongly).
    Last edited by gbagok; June 3, 2013 at 04:45pm.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406